Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

ASE Cert

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASE Cert

Considering taking the ASE on my own. I have been working on cars since I was an early teen. I have been taught by my father who used to be a professional mechanic back in the day. I am very good at adding up the pieces and figuring out the causes behind the issue. How difficult is the ASE test? Could I just take it and pass it based on about 15 yrs of working on vehicles?
Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are 8 mechanical tests. even if yo do pass them you have to show 2 yrs work exp before they will send you credentials. alot of the tests now are geared towards the newer stuff...good luck
Old 07-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

your supposed to be a working mechanic to take the tests

Brakes was the hardest test

Electrical was the easiest
Old 07-16-2008, 07:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found that being Master Certified did nothing for me but earn me the right to work on the really difficult jobs that came in the door. I recertified twice I think.

Some shops pay more $$$ for having Certs.

I would say that you should go for it if you are wanting to. Just don't have high expectations going in. The next time you go take the tests you'll hve a much better idea of what to expect.

Good Luck !

g
Old 07-16-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fraser@SpeedInc
your supposed to be a working mechanic to take the tests

Brakes was the hardest test

Electrical was the easiest
HVAC was the hardest for me. I am required by GM training requirements to keep my certs up. All 8 plus L1, the advanced engine performance. I really disagree with ASE questions, they are very vague and the scenarios thay ask you about sometimes really cant even happen. They dont have "correct" answers, just the best answer.... Usually you can cross 2 answers off right away, just choose the best one left.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grumpy5.3
Usually you can cross 2 answers off right away, just choose the best one left.
Yup, 2 of the answers are distractions.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Launching!

I worked in a garage/gas station when I was 18-22. didn't do mechanical work, just watched and learned. One of the mechanic's needed to take the test to become cert'd in some catergory, so i took the test with him, I took brakes and hvac. Almost passed the brakes, hvac I failed miserably. Almost everyone knows something about brakes. The hvac test had me looking at vacumm controlled doors in the hvac box, pressure measurements, and charicteristacs of refidgerants. I was lost.

I started working on cars after that for a living because i wanted more money. To be a NAPA autocare someone needs to be certified there. So I took the steering & suspension and I took brakes. Both I took about 2 years ago and passed them by a decent margin, I remember them both having a good amount of drivability Q's?

If your just wanting to do it to see if you can pass, do it. It just cost a little money and a little studying. Def get the book for each test. If you pass, it doesnt mean your a better mechanic then if you don't have them, it doesnt really mean anything...maybe that you have a good understanding of the basic's of an auto, and are good at reading/test takeing. My boss has been working on cars since the 70's for a living and has never taking an ASE test. My 2 little meeslie cert's probly helped get me my current job, but my boss can work circles around me. I work on cars in an auto repair shop, my everyday job is never predictable...I may put brake lines front to back on 3-4 cars a week...might do 2-3 timing belts a week...might do 5-10 brake jobs a week....head gaskets? A/C work? clutches?.....tires? never know. Nothing very gratifing to me. I'm looking to become a electricion or carpenter now at 27. My back hurts everyday I wake up.

Sorry I cant spell for **** right now but your never going to make a bad decision taking a test. For fun, for money, your only going to better yourself.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Subliminal Hit
Almost everyone knows something about brakes. The hvac test had me looking at vacumm controlled doors in the hvac box, pressure measurements, and charicteristacs of refidgerants. I was lost.
When I took brakes test, very little had anything to do with basic, how do drum brakes work question, or like car pulls left, could the left front caliper be stuck?

Most of my test was, ABS electrical and hydroboost diagnosis, and of course heavily slanted toward GM vehicles.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fraser@SpeedInc
and of course heavily slanted toward GM vehicles.
you think so? I didnt get that... i thought the questions were just stupid for the most part.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another L1 master tech here. Have been since the L1 test came out in about 96.
The tests are getting more complicated, as they should be. In the past, to me they've been too easy.
Much more of all the tests are geared around electronic controls. ABS, HVAC, Transmissions, etc.
To pass any of the tests that involve electrical, you have to know what you're looking at, or get real lucky.
To pass the auto transmissions test, you have to know the flow diagrams, or again, get lucky.
I believe the one thing ASE certs do for you, is bring credibility. Anyone can go out and buy a set of craftsmen tools. Doesnt make you a tech. Anymore than buying a stethoscope makes you a doctor.
You cannot walk into a dealership, or large independant and demand top dollar without a long list of certs, and some good references.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ASE tests can be difficult, you can get study guides for the tests, i thought they were helpful because they give you an idea of what to expect.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all the advice guys. Where can I find some study guides?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

HVAC was the hardest for me. I am required by GM training requirements to keep my certs up. All 8 plus L1, the advanced engine performance. I really disagree with ASE questions, they are very vague and the scenarios thay ask you about sometimes really cant even happen. They dont have "correct" answers, just the best answer.... Usually you can cross 2 answers off right away, just choose the best one left.
hows your dealership doing? im in the same boat you are as far as gm training goes they need to provide more classes i ran out of paths.lol. i hope to take my L1 and L2 sometime in the near future. i found the automatic transmission to be alittle difficult.

as far as studying you either know it or you dont. but i used motorage training books for the tests.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dealers not doing bad, I am out of training to do also. I have everything, even the assesments done. So until they release the new requirements I have to actually work. But like someone else has said in here, being world class just means you get to work on all the terds that come in the door with no excuses....

Where are you at?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Another L1 master tech here. Have been since the L1 test came out in about 96.
The tests are getting more complicated, as they should be. In the past, to me they've been too easy.
Much more of all the tests are geared around electronic controls. ABS, HVAC, Transmissions, etc.
To pass any of the tests that involve electrical, you have to know what you're looking at, or get real lucky.
To pass the auto transmissions test, you have to know the flow diagrams, or again, get lucky.
I believe the one thing ASE certs do for you, is bring credibility. Anyone can go out and buy a set of craftsmen tools. Doesnt make you a tech. Anymore than buying a stethoscope makes you a doctor.
You cannot walk into a dealership, or large independant and demand top dollar without a long list of certs, and some good references.

When I used to do generous auto repair I took the ASE tests and learned real fast that the majority of the guys that passed got more money. I also learned that the guys with the ASE certs were book smart not hands on smart.

225-343-9029
Old 07-18-2008, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Dealers not doing bad, I am out of training to do also. I have everything, even the assesments done. So until they release the new requirements I have to actually work. But like someone else has said in here, being world class just means you get to work on all the terds that come in the door with no excuses....

Where are you at?
im in orlando fl. i have been on the waiting list for the assesments since the dawn of time. lol.(not really ive only been at the dealer for 2 years.) my goal is to become world glass, did you fly out to detroit or do they offer them locally to you?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

they are not too bad if this kind of work is what you do everyday
Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MADMAN
When I used to do generous auto repair I took the ASE tests and learned real fast that the majority of the guys that passed got more money. I also learned that the guys with the ASE certs were book smart not hands on smart.
If I wasnt book smart, I think I would be offended by that.
BTW, I'm pretty damn good with me digits too.
But, turned from more of the flat rate labor stuff to purely driveability many years ago.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
If I wasnt book smart, I think I would be offended by that.
BTW, I'm pretty damn good with me digits too.
But, turned from more of the flat rate labor stuff to purely driveability many years ago.

It wasnt meant to bash anyone. I am just a believer that your work ethic and ability to actually do the job correctly is more important than a written test.

Same deal as I see these guys that get out of a tech school somewhere and have no experience show up with a $10,000.00 Snapon tool box. They think the box makes them a tech. Show me with your hands greasy and getting the job accomplished not with a pen and paper.

225-343-9029
Old 07-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MADMAN
It wasnt meant to bash anyone. I am just a believer that your work ethic and ability to actually do the job correctly is more important than a written test.

Same deal as I see these guys that get out of a tech school somewhere and have no experience show up with a $10,000.00 Snapon tool box. They think the box makes them a tech. Show me with your hands greasy and getting the job accomplished not with a pen and paper.
No, I know you weren't. I've worked with master techs that couldnt turn a bolt. But, going into a job interview, or even as far as how you look to your peers, they bring credibility.

Quick Reply: ASE Cert