Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds First-Drive & Video - 2010 Ford Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edmunds First-Drive & Video - 2010 Ford Mustang GT

An Aging Star Gets a Face-Lift

Having trouble telling that this is the leaner and meaner 2010 Ford Mustang? You're not alone.

By Ed Hellwig, Lead Senior Editor
Date posted: 12-12-2008

4.6-liter V8 - 315-hp; 325 lb-ft of torque - Limited-slip differential with 3.73:1 axle ratio - Optional Track Pack

You barely even notice the styling changes to the 2010 Ford Mustang GT until you see it side by side with last year's car. It's only then that the revised Mustang's shorter grille, smoother fenders and tucked in rear end become obvious.

Look inside and the cabin is the same story. The overall design is familiar, but the details have changed. The materials are richer, the panel fits are tighter and the switchgear feels sturdier.

See it all firsthand and you might be convinced that this is an all-new Mustang, not a mere midcycle face-lift. Well, that is, until you actually drive it.

Bullitt — The Sequel

Grabber Blue is one of the more unique throwback colors available for 2010.

Don't worry. There's nothing wrong with the 2010 Mustang GT. Ford didn't refine it into a Taurus coupe, or try to make it the first ever PZEV V8 to satisfy Bill Ford's green dreams.

No, Ford pretty much stuck to the script on this one; same 4.6-liter V8 up front, same five-speed transmissions behind it and the same live-axle suspension out back. In fact, virtually all of the dimensions and most of the hardware on the 2010 Ford Mustang GT are identical to the previous car.

The only upgrades aren't really new at all; they've simply been carried over from the Bullitt package for the '09 Mustang with a few refinements along the way. That means a cold air intake under the hood along with a reprogrammed ECU that bumps the redline to 6,500 rpm. That same computer also has two different fuel programs, for regular and premium gas.

Both settings generate the same horsepower, but running premium fattens up the torque curve a bit. Peak numbers are 315 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 325 pound-feet of torque at 4,250 rpm, just like the Bullitt.

The carryover parts continue with the suspension, which retains MacPherson struts up front and a three-link solid axle with coil springs out back. The GT's setup uses the same front springs as the Bullitt, but the rear spring rates are up 17 percent. Damping rates are also increased compared to the Bullitt. The standard GT wheels now measure 18 inches like the Bullitt, but they get Pirelli P Zero Nero all-season tires sized 235/50ZR18 at each corner instead of BFGs.

A Good Start

Nothing like a solid rear axle for laying rubber.

So Ford isn't going to score any points for originality this time around, but the Bullitt's setup isn't a bad place to start for this new GT. It's an improvement over the inherent sloppiness in the Mustang's basic setup and gets the GT to a point where you feel comfortable throwing it into a turn with some speed.

Well, some speed, but not much. On winding canyon roads the 2010 Ford Mustang is still too big, too soft and too vague to really toss around with any measure of precision. The steering is overboosted and the car itself doesn't shift its 3,533 pounds from one turn to the next particularly well either. The brakes withstand hard use better than we remember, but the pedal is still a little soft.

Power is certainly not a problem. The throttle is responsive and the engine revs willingly while delivering solid chunks of torque good for getting the nose pointed in the right direction. It sounds good doing it, too. We seem to remember a better shifter in the Bullitt, though, as this one seems vague when you try to force it from gear to gear.

Get Track-Ready

Optional Mycolor gauges allow you to change not only the instrument panel background, but also the rest of the interior's ambient lighting.

Ford isn't oblivious to the limitations of the Mustang's handling, hence the newly optional Track Pack. Available on GT coupes starting next summer, the $1,495 option package borrows several pieces from the current Shelby GT500, including its front and rear antiroll bars, rear lower control arms and front upper strut mounts.

A unique set of dampers is also fitted as well as a front strut-tower brace, high-performance brake pads and a limited-slip differential with 3.73:1 gears. A set of 19-inch aluminum wheels with Pirelli P Zero summer performance tires sized 255/40ZR19 is also part of the package.

At speed on the road course at the Streets of Willow, the improvement from this package proved noticeable almost instantly. The retuned dampers do a better job of keeping the front end under control, so the initial turn toward the apex of the corner is more immediate. There's far less body roll and the additional cornering grip allows you to push it a little harder at the limit.

If you're not up for the full Track Pack, there will also be an axle package that gets you the 3.73 gears and high-performance brake pads up front. The standard rear-end gears are 3.31:1, and 3.55:1 gears are also an option with the manual transmission.

The Softer Side of the Mustang

New center console is a little button-heavy, but otherwise well laid out.

Ford is well aware that not every Mustang is destined for the track, so in addition to the upgraded suspension and drivetrain components this Mustang has also been designed to deliver a more refined overall driving experience. This involved reducing unwanted cabin noise through improved exterior aerodynamics while adding some of the more desirable noise back in with an induction tube from the engine on all V8 models.

It is indeed effective, as every crack of the throttle makes the V8 sound like it's riding shotgun. Go easy on the gas pedal, though, and this Mustang gets noticeably quiet for a pony car. There's minimal wind and road noise, and even at 75 mph the drone of the V8 is relatively mild.

The reduced mechanical clatter goes along with the refreshed look of this Mustang's interior. Much of the cheap plastic is gone in favor of a soft-touch dash and good quality metallic trim. You will not feel cheated paying $30K for a 2010 Ford Mustang.

Premium models get six-way power seats with leather upholstery that features contrasting stitching. This actually looks less gimmicky than it sounds, but we can't say the same for the multicolor instrument panel lighting. At least the stamped aluminum badge for the steering wheel is a nice touch for this relatively inexpensive performance coupe.

Undercutting Camaro

The new interior is a more inviting place.

Keeping the Mustang affordable has always been one of Ford's goals for the 2010 model, and this base-model Mustang GT undercuts its obvious competition with a price of $28,845. A base Dodge Challenger R/T will run you another thousand bucks while the Chevrolet Camaro with a V8 is almost $31K.

And although the Challenger might offer more horsepower, we figure the Mustang's lighter weight will keep it way ahead at the track. Just compare the last Bullitt we tested, which got to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds and then did the quarter-mile in 13.7 seconds, to the 5.9-second and 14.1-second performance of the Challenger R/T — it's not even close.

We can't say the same just yet about the Camaro, but it does weigh around 500 pounds more than the Mustang. Then there's the Nissan 370Z. Maybe not a natural competitor, but it does cost around $30K and runs a 13.4-second quarter-mile.

So where does that leave the 2010 Ford Mustang? Well, it probably won't be the most performance you can get for $30K, but it will be close. And this time around it's not saddled with a low-dollar interior. Throw in the Track Pack and it will actually handle respectably, too. Just don't expect many people to ask you about your new Mustang, because they're not even going to notice.

The tightly cropped rear end will take some getting used to.

First Impressions: A leaner look on the outside and a more upscale cabin on the inside disguise the fact that, for better or worse, this is the same old Mustang.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

140mph tach says it all... isnt this the video with the wheel hop? im at work so i cant watch.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Self proclaimed VILLAGE IDIOT

Looks good. I like it. the front looks mean.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

lol still starting at almost 29k, you can get the ss with 115 more hp and a much much better overall car for 2k more, lol @ Ford
Old 12-16-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the car LOOKS much better then 05 and up in my book, im also happy the TRIED to make it fast--er.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

That wheel hop was horrendously embarrassing. I like the looks of it...but that engine not enough to warrant me buying another Stang in quite a while.

W
Old 12-16-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

The lightness however is going to scare some other muscle car owners...especially if that track pack is what it really is supposed to be.

W
Old 12-17-2008, 01:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06black6spd
lol still starting at almost 29k, you can get the ss with 115 more hp and a much much better overall car for 2k more, lol @ Ford
Yeah, for one year...

The car has grown on me,I didn't really like how it looked at first but its starting to look ok but I need more pics and I want to see the v6 version because I liked the front end of that one more.I can't wait for the next year after it's realeased when it gets the MOd 5.0
Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I find it hilarious that ford is making these things with 315hp and 325tq....

In 1998 f-bodies making the same power as this 2010 mustang
Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
I find it hilarious that ford is making these things with 315hp and 325tq....

In 1998 f-bodies making the same power as this 2010 mustang
Claimed underrated power that is............ This in my book is the time the Ford Mustang actually has a chance if they took advantage of being lighter then the Camaro to beat it, they just need to add more power to that Shitstang, and at least get it closer to the performance! But no..... they would rather not because there a bunch of dumdumdum's!

But GM can easily out muscle Ford if they had to, as always.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Banned

LOL at the wheel hop...I have to admit they look better than the 09's but the new and old camaro's are going to rape it...even with there lame $1500 "track pack". It might be a challange for the 300hp V6 Camaro...
Old 12-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 06black6spd
and a lot better suspension setup.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

That wheel hop was really really bad. Hopefully they will be fast enough to give the camaro a decent run
Old 12-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Someone needs to tell all those challenger RT owners that are running 13.4s @ 104 that there suppose to be running 14.1.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
140mph tach says it all... isnt this the video with the wheel hop? im at work so i cant watch.
Honestly do you really think it can't do 140? My 96 GT was tested at 143 mph back in 1996 with 215 hp and 285 torq. I'm pretty sure this will do 155 to 160.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99_Z28
LOL at the wheel hop...I have to admit they look better than the 09's but the new and old camaro's are going to rape it...even with there lame $1500 "track pack". It might be a challange for the 300hp V6 Camaro...
Ouch that comment made my butt hurt lol. The v6 camaro coming won't beat a 99-04 GT why would 05+ any GT be afraid?
Old 12-19-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
Claimed underrated power that is............ This in my book is the time the Ford Mustang actually has a chance if they took advantage of being lighter then the Camaro to beat it, they just need to add more power to that Shitstang, and at least get it closer to the performance! But no..... they would rather not because there a bunch of dumdumdum's!

But GM can easily out muscle Ford if they had to, as always.
I think Ford is more concerned about staying alive, and since they didn't need the Bailout like GM or Chysler it sounds like they are playing the game of car builder better then those two. All the companies are keeping costs down. This apparently is Fords approach.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

i dont like it, the front end looks sad
Old 12-24-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
I think Ford is more concerned about staying alive, and since they didn't need the Bailout like GM or Chysler it sounds like they are playing the game of car builder better then those two. All the companies are keeping costs down. This apparently is Fords approach.
Makes sense. Ford sells Mustangs hand over fist. Yeah they're not the fastest production V8, but they're fairly cheap, fairly fast and have the Mustang logo on them, so they'll sell a bunch of them. Ford will then laugh all the way to the bank.

The Mustang owners that mod will either buy a higher end packaged one and work up from there (al la Unit's Cobra) or else buy a GT and just do a **** ton of mods to get the thing going.

Quick Reply: Edmunds First-Drive & Video - 2010 Ford Mustang GT