Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Where are you going now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are you going now?

Im sad to say, i really dont consider myself the GM nut i used to be. And with GM's Dwindling future, so is my enthusiasm for the company. I'll always be true to my Firebirds, and ill always be a nut for what i loved while it was produced. But i dont see much coming from them in the future in terms of exciting daily drivers, or performance machines to get all crazy about. I think the company will give its last hurah with the ZR1, and i just cant afford the insurance on any vette. I dont like the new Camaro at all, otherwise i may see a glimmer of hope there. So onto the more important question, where do i look now for fun? Jeep has caught my attention, but thats a different type of fun. I think im leaning towards Audi. I like BMW but its priced crazy for what you get. Where are you guys in similar situations turning?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

it depends what type of fun your referring to, If you are looking for offroad fun and have some dunes where you live then a 4x4 jeep would be the way to go. Im with you, the audi seems like its def. stepped up as far as performance and also looks. I also agree the new camaro just isit really that appealing either Sorry everybody
Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i just picked up a 97 ZJ cherokee 4x4. Im in love with the whole jeep world now, but thats off roading....im talkin on roading here
Old 02-23-2009, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Times change, GM will turn it around. Look at the 70's....
Old 02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^ I hope you are right.... but if not.... I guess a BMW will be in my future.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Restricted User

I'm sticking with GM until I can no longer get what I want. It's not that I just automatically buy a GM vehicle every time, it's that I can't find anything I like better for the money. I'm keeping an eye on the STS...if I can pick up a lightly used one in my price range i'm going to do it...I looked at the Acura TL, Infiniti G35x and Lexus ES...I'd take the Caddy over any of them. The TL was really really nice though...a close second. So I suppose if I could no longer buy a GM vehicle someday, I might look towards Acura.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:40 PM
***Repost Police***

Did you know that according to some (who you will probably see in this thread later), the fact that you are considering buying something that isn't made by an American-based company makes you unpatriotic. I say do like any smart consumer does; evaluate all options that are before you, and make a decision based on what you think would be the best buy for the money.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I can understand that point.... whose to say there will be any domestic manufacturer left???

Thus far..... only Ford hasn't needed a bailout... And that would leave only the Mustang and F150.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

It really is ashame that this is what it has came to... I love my 01 vette and my 02 silverado but there isn't much of a furture for these cars so ill just keep what i have and this is also do to the fact that in the past year the trade in value for your used cars has hit rock bottom.. Im definitely not a fan of the new heavy camaro, i will always love my corvettes and most likely i will own a C6 next but after that not much hope. I will never own a BMW or Audi not because i don't like those vehicles or anything but they arn't for me i love my loud exhaust my lifted truck.. i reallt hate to see the performance industry take a hit like this but i personally now put money elsewhere instead of my cars like i used to
Old 02-24-2009, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by evilZO6
Im sad to say, i really dont consider myself the GM nut i used to be. And with GM's Dwindling future, so is my enthusiasm for the company. I'll always be true to my Firebirds, and ill always be a nut for what i loved while it was produced. But i dont see much coming from them in the future in terms of exciting daily drivers, or performance machines to get all crazy about. I think the company will give its last hurah with the ZR1, and i just cant afford the insurance on any vette. I dont like the new Camaro at all, otherwise i may see a glimmer of hope there. So onto the more important question, where do i look now for fun? Jeep has caught my attention, but thats a different type of fun. I think im leaning towards Audi. I like BMW but its priced crazy for what you get. Where are you guys in similar situations turning?
Why is it that almost EVERYONE praises Toyota for their supposed brilliant business practices yet they bailed out on performance vehicles YEARS ago and no one has anything to say about it?
Now GM drops a hint about the future of performance vehicles within the company and suddenly they suck?
Then some of you people must HATE Toyota for turning their backs on entry level performance.
Oh wait, I stand corrected, they do still have that superfast Scion TC.

But to answer your question, once the end is truly near (we're certainly not there yet) I'd buy up the last of the new GM/Ford performance vehicles and just keep them running in the years ahead.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Did you know that according to some (who you will probably see in this thread later), the fact that you are considering buying something that isn't made by an American-based company makes you unpatriotic.
Hmm, I wonder who you could be referring to.

Ya know what's funny though, you state that (ie: "Did you know that according to some") in a way as if people like me are straight up dead wrong and that you're 100% right and that it's simply that cut and dry clear. It's not. Almost as if to say: "can you believe this guy, he's so off the wall and nutty, he actually claims that the world is flat and truly believes it!" Please don't attempt to knock and discredit me just to make your discussions/arguements look better or appear to be pure fact bro, it won't work LOL.

Patriotism aside, what I say is not necessarily incorrect (though it may be), one only needs to look at the undeniably prosperous U.S. economy during the late '40s, '50s and '60s to CLEARLY see that. Yes, these are very different and ever changing global times but still.
So now this great nation is in the ******* and it follows a period where so few Americans were buying domestic nameplate vehicles any more.
Hmm, mere coincidence?

I will never claim that my thoughts/ideas are undeniably correct and true...but I've got news for ya pal, neither are yours.
We both may be right and we both may be wrong, don't assume that you (or anyone else who agrees with either one of us) have got the only correct answers to these riddles because you don't.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Patriatism:

i was just saying in another post earlier, most "American" cars are less american than the imports these days. Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Nissan, KIA, all these brands are designed an built here. Hello!!! Is that not american? Becuase the stock holders reside overseas? The Nissan Titan (just one of the few examples here) Was entirely designed, built, tested, and MADE here. It was shipped to Japan. 90% of Honda's revenue comes from here which is why they now design and build them here. Subaru not only builds them here, they care enough to make the greenest car plant in the world. You know what ISNT made here? GM, FORD etc. They're brought here. Sometimes by truck. Sometimes by boat. Granted they are designed here but that takes a handful of people, building takes hundreds of thousands. And besides that, they sell their best products over seas anymore. One Europe's favorite and best selling car is the Ford Mondeo. Have you8 seen any of the chinese Buicks? Or even the GTO and G8 weren't meant for our country. Buying foreign anymore is just as patriotic. And if An american car company doesnt make what i want, but a foreigner does, are you seriously suggesting that i ignore what i want and throw my money away on an american car that wont satisfy me just to be patriotic? And support a country that is spending billions of unnecessary tax dollars on a war over something we have nothing to do with, while our entire economy is crashing becuase of it? This country really hasn't done me too many favors lately. So thanks for your rude opinion, but ill spend my money on what I want from who i want.

Just a little rant before the whole Thats unpatriotic war starts

Originally Posted by SSNISTR
Times change, GM will turn it around. Look at the 70's....
I really hope you're right, but in the 70's they didn't come to relying on the government for a corporate bailout. GM has ALREADY failed, if it wasn't for the govt, theyd be gone right now i bet. So i wouldn't compare the current situation to that of the 70's. The govt is pretty much running the show now, so even if GM wanted to return to the performance car era, theyd have the govt to answer to who thinks of them as nothing but a waste of precious fuel. So im not banking on that

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Why is it that almost EVERYONE praises Toyota for their supposed brilliant business practices yet they bailed out on performance vehicles YEARS ago and no one has anything to say about it?
Now GM drops a hint about the future of performance vehicles within the company and suddenly they suck?
Then some of you people must HATE Toyota for turning their backs on entry level performance.
Oh wait, I stand corrected, they do still have that superfast Scion TC.

But to answer your question, once the end is truly near (we're certainly not there yet) I'd buy up the last of the new GM/Ford performance vehicles and just keep them running in the years ahead.
Toyota never had much performance to begin with, toehr than the Supra, and thats why no one misses it. You take one player from the feild, the game goes on. GM on the other hand has dozens of performance vehicles, that everyones familiar with, spread across a dozen companies. Thats why they're missed. Plus Toyota has plans for a new Supra, if it happens will they then actually be ahead of GM? I mean i know corvettes etc but as far as NEW performance vehicles go, by then GM wont be introducing any and the Supra will be freshly developed. Not stating an opinion, just something to think about.....

Last edited by evilZO6; 02-24-2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Hmm, I wonder who you could be referring to.

Ya know what's funny though, you state that (ie: "Did you know that according to some") in a way as if people like me are straight up dead wrong and that you're 100% right and that it's simply that cut and dry clear. It's not. Almost as if to say: "can you believe this guy, he's so off the wall and nutty, he actually claims that the world is flat and truly believes it!" Please don't attempt to knock and discredit me just to make your discussions/arguements look better or appear to be pure fact bro, it won't work LOL.

Patriotism aside, what I say is not necessarily incorrect (though it may be), one only needs to look at the undeniably prosperous U.S. economy during the late '40s, '50s and '60s to CLEARLY see that. Yes, these are very different and ever changing global times but still.
So now this great nation is in the ******* and it follows a period where so few Americans were buying domestic nameplate vehicles any more.
Hmm, mere coincidence?

I will never claim that my thoughts/ideas are undeniably correct and true...but I've got news for ya pal, neither are yours.
We both may be right and we both may be wrong, don't assume that you (or anyone else who agrees with either one of us) have got the only correct answers to these riddles because you don't.
Patriatism:

i was just saying in another post earlier, most "American" cars are less american than the imports these days. Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Nissan, KIA, all these brands are designed an built here. Hello!!! Is that not american? Becuase the stock holders reside overseas? The Nissan Titan (just one of the few examples here) Was entirely designed, built, tested, and MADE here. It was shipped to Japan. 90% of Honda's revenue comes from here which is why they now design and build them here. Subaru not only builds them here, they care enough to make the greenest car plant in the world. You know what ISNT made here? GM, FORD etc. They're brought here. Sometimes by truck. Sometimes by boat. Granted they are designed here but that takes a handful of people, building takes hundreds of thousands. And besides that, they sell their best products over seas anymore. One Europe's favorite and best selling car is the Ford Mondeo. Have you8 seen any of the chinese Buicks? Or even the GTO and G8 weren't meant for our country. Buying foreign anymore is just as patriotic. And if An american car company doesnt make what i want, but a foreigner does, are you seriously suggesting that i ignore what i want and throw my money away on an american car that wont satisfy me just to be patriotic? And support a country that is spending billions of unnecessary tax dollars on a war over something we have nothing to do with, while our entire economy is crashing becuase of it? This country really hasn't done me too many favors lately. So thanks for your rude opinion, but ill spend my money on what I want from who i want.

From what I've seen in other threads, that's exactly what he's suggesting. And yes LS1LT1, you are wrong.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Patriatism:

I really hope you're right, but in the 70's they didn't come to relying on the government for a corporate bailout. GM has ALREADY failed, if it wasn't for the govt, theyd be gone right now i bet. So i wouldn't compare the current situation to that of the 70's. The govt is pretty much running the show now, so even if GM wanted to return to the performance car era, theyd have the govt to answer to who thinks of them as nothing but a waste of precious fuel. So im not banking on that

Toyota never had much performance to begin with, toehr than the Supra, and thats why no one misses it. You take one player from the feild, the game goes on. GM on the other hand has dozens of performance vehicles, that everyones familiar with, spread across a dozen companies. Thats why they're missed. Plus Toyota has plans for a new Supra, if it happens will they then actually be ahead of GM? I mean i know corvettes etc but as far as NEW performance vehicles go, by then GM wont be introducing any and the Supra will be freshly developed. Not stating an opinion, just something to think about.....

Well stated
Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LSILT1 You are completely wrong. When you (and you and others have) question a persons patriotism based on what is in their drive way and what car they choose to buy, you are wrong. Most things you say I will agree with on some sort of level, but when you make coments like that, yeah you're wrong.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Ford.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Patriatism:

i was just saying in another post earlier, most "American" cars are less american than the imports these days. Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Nissan, KIA, all these brands are designed an built here. Hello!!! Is that not american? Becuase the stock holders reside overseas? The Nissan Titan (just one of the few examples here) Was entirely designed, built, tested, and MADE here. It was shipped to Japan. 90% of Honda's revenue comes from here which is why they now design and build them here. Subaru not only builds them here, they care enough to make the greenest car plant in the world. You know what ISNT made here? GM, FORD etc. They're brought here. Sometimes by truck. Sometimes by boat. Granted they are designed here but that takes a handful of people, building takes hundreds of thousands.
You say this but fail to realize that GM employs 6x more Americans than Toyota, who is the worlds largest auto manufacturer. They are building more cars here than Toyota, Honda or anybody else for that matter. By a large margin.

And one of GM's biggest flaws has been taking care of its employees. Job pools, benefits, pay, etc. They have done it to a fault. They did extremely well at one point and gave generous deals to their employees. You cannot say the same about Toyota here.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:05 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Also keep in mind that Toyota is also moving jobs out of the US. They are producing more Tacoma's in Mexico instead of the joint venture plant in California. And even though the Vibe and Matrix are on the same platform the Vibe is made here and the Matrix in Canada.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Launching!

you know there was a time when people freaked out about buying Japanese electronics.....

of course this stubborn USA is still here....
Old 02-24-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Patriatism:

You're mislead, look at the window sticker, all manufacturers list % of orgin. Ford and GM dominate US content, Malibus, Auras and Taurus being 85% or better, followed by Lucernes at 81% and Cobalts/G5s at 80%, the CTS is usually 80%, these all depend on option content. TB's and Envoys were consistantly 80%, Sierras and Silvys are usually 85%. The only import up close to that is the ugly as Tundra otherwise

Toyota Camry/Solara: 68%
Honda Accord: 60%
Toyota Corolla: 50%
Toyota Matrix: 65%

\This goes beyond who employs more Americans, which is pretty easy to figure out.

Quick Reply: Where are you going now?