Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Full-Test - Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Korea's Camaro and Mustang Competitor

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bamxbam
Wow you're real clever, no, seriously, you really are. Mention any names you want but it sure as hell isn't me. I love my all American (actually maybe it's part Canadian..) muscle car and American sports cars, and also appreciate fine sports cars that come from Europe, Japan, and (now) Korea. So I guess that makes me a domestic fanboy AND an import fanboy, thus the two negating each other and making my stance somewhat neutral and objective. I want you to logically explain how you came to the conclusion of me being a fanboy of one side driving a car from "the other"? I test drove the Genesis coupe and happened to like it, so what? I hope you weren't upset with the fact that I referred to my 'camaro as a mulletmobile... it's something that's called a jok... nevermind.
Honestly, I wasn't talking about you. I've never even seen you here before (unless you had another user name previously). You COULD have qualified, but i'm not one to peg someone unless there's no doubt in my mind.

I was simply expanding on your point. We have everything here...however, seeing as this IS a domestic car site, there's nothing wrong with domestic fanbois here. You can still argue with them, but you've got to remember where you are at. THEN there are the idiot import fanbois that hang out here...that I don't get. Maybe they think they are "schooling" american car fans or something...but I have yet to see one that hasn't made himself look like a complete waste of life. Despite all they've done, they aren't banned, and even worse, they don't get a clue and go somewhere else, maybe somewhere they'd be appreciated. But all those guys pale in comparison to the ones that drive american cars and drivel on about how much better imports are.

I came the other way...started out an import fanboi, until I got my first taste of real american power. I never made it all the way across to the other side though...I can appreciate the good imports too. I just choose to support my country by buying cars that are (almost completely) made here. That's just me.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Honestly, I wasn't talking about you. I've never even seen you here before (unless you had another user name previously). You COULD have qualified, but i'm not one to peg someone unless there's no doubt in my mind.

I was simply expanding on your point. We have everything here...however, seeing as this IS a domestic car site, there's nothing wrong with domestic fanbois here. You can still argue with them, but you've got to remember where you are at. THEN there are the idiot import fanbois that hang out here...that I don't get. Maybe they think they are "schooling" american car fans or something...but I have yet to see one that hasn't made himself look like a complete waste of life. Despite all they've done, they aren't banned, and even worse, they don't get a clue and go somewhere else, maybe somewhere they'd be appreciated. But all those guys pale in comparison to the ones that drive american cars and drivel on about how much better imports are.

I came the other way...started out an import fanboi, until I got my first taste of real american power. I never made it all the way across to the other side though...I can appreciate the good imports too. I just choose to support my country by buying cars that are (almost completely) made here. That's just me.
I see where you're coming from. I honestly thought that was a smart assed comment directed towards me since you quoted me, but guess I was wrong; my mistake.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Restricted User

I see where you're coming from. I honestly thought that was a smart assed comment directed towards me since you quoted me, but guess I was wrong; my mistake.
No prob.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL what did you originally say? Man I missed it . Hey man, I don't know if you have anything against the Japanese or not... if you do, trust me, you're on the same side as many many Koreans
Nothing really.

I have nothing against the Japanese. I met some great people during my tenure at a Japanese OEM. As for the Japanese Auto industry, I find their model as an export nation a good example, an example that should remind us not to ignore the importance of our own manufacturers. The attitude of their management is a different story.

Last edited by TT632; 03-03-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"grandparents actually worked for Toyota in the late '60s/early '70s." ...So UnAmerican...
Old 03-06-2009, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"it has a big, hairy, lovable exhaust note."

hahahhaha

I wonder if they will put their V8 in this coupe later on? Probably not with the turbo version already available...

I give them credit for bringing this to the market!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Edmunds has now fully tested both the Genesis and refreshed Mustang. Both tests are posted in this forum. Here's the nitty gritty and not so pretty.

Genesis 3.8 Track

60 mph in 6.4 seconds
14.5-second quarter-mile at 97.9 mph
68.2-mph slalom speed
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration 0.88g
60 mph to stop 111 ft.
17.9 mpg overall

Mustang GT Track Pack

60 mph in 5.2 seconds
13.5-second quarter-mile at 102.9 mph
68.4 mph slalom speed
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration 0.91g
60 mph to stop 107 ft.
17.1 mpg overall

For the money the Genesis doesn't fare too well.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:41 PM
***Repost Police***

I would either get the 2.0T Genesis R-Spec, or the base V6 Genesis. I think once the V6 is highly-optioned it loses the bang-for-the-buck quotient. It is a good start though.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PopaPork
"grandparents actually worked for Toyota in the late '60s/early '70s." ...So UnAmerican...
Maybe they were...maybe they weren't.
But I'll tell ya this much, regardless of where he worked that same grandfather (my grandmother never learned to drive) only bought new Chevrolets (his final car being a Buick Regal) the entire time that I'd known him.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I would either get the 2.0T Genesis R-Spec, or the base V6 Genesis. I think once the V6 is highly-optioned it loses the bang-for-the-buck quotient. It is a good start though.
Car and Driver tested the 2.0T. It's performance is also underwhelming.

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 7.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 18 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 39.5 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 7.7 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.3 sec @ 92 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 161 ft
Roadholding, 200-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g

Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, but considering the 2.0 in the Genesis is closely related to the 4B11 in the new EVO, it would atleast have some potential.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, but considering the 2.0 in the Genesis is closely related to the 4B11 in the new EVO, it would atleast have some potential.
At what cost? The warranty (which is often cited as a big reason to buy a Hyundai) flies out the window with new turbos, boost controllers, tunes, etc.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
***Repost Police***

Yes... but people are doing cam swaps and blowers on new Z06s, and people are going to be doing blower swaps on ZR1s too. I think the 2.0T Genesis with simple intake/exhaust/tune would be a whole different animal.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriShield
Car and Driver tested the 2.0T. It's performance is also underwhelming.

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 7.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 18 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 39.5 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 7.7 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.3 sec @ 92 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 161 ft
Roadholding, 200-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g

LOL.
Turbo Omnis did better than that in the 80's!
Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes... but people are doing cam swaps and blowers on new Z06s, and people are going to be doing blower swaps on ZR1s too. I think the 2.0T Genesis with simple intake/exhaust/tune would be a whole different animal.
Yep they are and they void their warranty too.
Difference is the Genesis runs 14s and the Z06's run 10s.

edit:
I am not trying to take away from the car just saying it is a bit over priced for what you get.

Last edited by My1st Truck; 03-11-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Launching!

hmm disappointing. Definitely take the mustang over that car.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:27 AM
On The Tree

I sort of like the genesis,it seems pretty good for the money.Im still waiting on what the real 1/4 mile time is.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Those cars perform well stock, this one doesn't.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:45 PM
***Repost Police***

Isn't that the point of modding a car? People that like to modify cars are going to modify cars, whether they are new or not. And no matter what they perform like stock.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Isn't that the point of modding a car? People that like to modify cars are going to modify cars, whether they are new or not. And no matter what they perform like stock.
Maybe. But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why not just buy a used car out of warranty instead of wasting all that money on a new one only to throw away your warranty and eat it on depreciation? The big Hyundai selling points of warranty and value aren't present in that argument.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Full-Test - Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Korea's Camaro and Mustang Competitor