Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Pontiac's Nail in the Coffin

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wannabess00
You got my immature back up to help ya lol! I with the UAW 4th region. I get to deal with the union bashing day in day out and its hugely comical and only about 5% have any clue what they are talking about. You're hitting the nail on the head. GM builds great products, but they turn out too often be to great i.e. competing in markets in which they have little understanding of the market. The G8 was our biggest hope that we could see it become successful and get it brought here to North America and make it profitable but they just cant sell many and we cant figure out why. Hopefully we'll see good deals cut from our leadership with GM but it appears too little to late.
Yeah, I think one way or the other the gov't isn't going to let GM disappear, or atleast they don't seem to want that to happen. Whether it means they will pull through this or even if they declare bankruptcy, the administration seems to be saying that Bankruptcy could be another option to be able to restructure, but they don't seem to be saying if they declare bankruptcy that they will be gone for good. So even worse case scenerio it seems they aren't going to give up on GM. Or so it seems...
Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Yeah, I think one way or the other the gov't isn't going to let GM disappear, or atleast they don't seem to want that to happen. Whether it means they will pull through this or even if they declare bankruptcy, the administration seems to be saying that Bankruptcy could be another option to be able to restructure, but they don't seem to be saying if they declare bankruptcy that they will be gone for good. So even worse case scenerio it seems they aren't going to give up on GM. Or so it seems...
I serve on the political committee for our area. We've met with Sen Durbin from Il and Sen. Harkin from IA on this subject and they've express their concerns towards national security if these companies seized to exist. The price may be far worse to have these companies outta business then run by incompetence for a short period. Im still unsure of my views towards that

I personally feel that the big 3 should pull the plug on most luxury car options for a short term in the same way they did muscle cars in the early 70s and see where that leaves them. Some of the basics. The after market companies can handle the options for people should they truly want them. Id also like to see Scott Settlemire move further up the chevy chain. Possibly running the whole division. He seems to have the pulse of the business figured out and loves what he does. The other divisions like Pontiac and Buick should just be sold if their intent is to be disbanded like Oldsmobile. Potential buyers could be Tiger Woods and Burt Reynolds lol!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cjg454ss
what do you expect when a black muslim gets voted in

can we put this to vote?

You're a racist indecent piece of ****.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by evilZO6

can we put this to vote?

You're a racist indecent piece of ****.
+1 You got my vote!
Old 04-03-2009, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ I believe a reason for the G8 flunking is the government hippies have brainwashed us into being "green". And you know you can't be green having a V8!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jon5212
^^^ I believe a reason for the G8 flunking is the government hippies have brainwashed us into being "green". And you know you can't be green having a V8!

When gas price's went back down demand for SUV's and trucks went back up (i'm already seeing a lot more ppl driving hummers again), government wasn't responsible for the surge in gas price's, the free unregulated market was, and it was at a time when demand for oil was going down price's skyrocketed through the roof, go figure. Soon as they went down demand for trucks and v8's went back up. Reason G8 wasn't as much of a success imo was because of it's price tag, aspecially now-a-days. I agree about easing up on luxury and focusing small affordable cars for a while keeping with the economy until people have balanced out their money and credit score for them to be ready to take a loan for loaded fast luxurious cars.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I think Ron Paul said it best... back in late September 2008... that when the government gets involved in something like this, it will only prolong the problem. With the Feds getting involved in the banking fiasco, housing crash, and auto industry, it isn't allowing the "darwinism" of capitalism to happen. The companies that are poorly managed should wash out, leaving a void for new, better managed companies to step in and thrive. The problem is, they might be foreign companies.

When Paul talked about it, he said that the free market would nose dive very very hard under the pressures we're seeing. But it would bounce back much faster, because the pain would hit all at once. By keeping this clusterfuck from exploding, the Feds aren't allowing the really bad crash to happen. But the effects, though not as bad, will be felt over a much longer time period and will end up hurting us much worse. Not to mention the cost...

I know the fear here is that if we do nothing, we end up like Japan's lost decade. Japan did nothing in the 90s and their economy stagnated. They still have the #2 economy in the world, even if they haven't grown in 20 years. But stagnation is apparently a worse solution than owing TRILLIONS to China.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure why you're mad about the white house telling GM how to run their company. Obviously GM couldn't do it themselves.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96autoformula
Is it just me, or does the government telling me what I'm going to drive, made by who, and sold by who, alarm anyone else?
Also, I'm not sure where you get this. Don't like buicks? Go buy something from one of the half-dozen other auto manufacturers.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Trojan35
Not sure why you're mad about the white house telling GM how to run their company. Obviously GM couldn't do it themselves.
Thats not part of a republic governments job description. I would rather see GM fail then taken over by the government that forced them to fail.

The only sucessful government program is the miltary. They have failed at everything else. Why give them more things to **** up.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:38 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
I think Ron Paul said it best... back in late September 2008... that when the government gets involved in something like this, it will only prolong the problem. With the Feds getting involved in the banking fiasco, housing crash, and auto industry, it isn't allowing the "darwinism" of capitalism to happen. The companies that are poorly managed should wash out, leaving a void for new, better managed companies to step in and thrive. The problem is, they might be foreign companies.

When Paul talked about it, he said that the free market would nose dive very very hard under the pressures we're seeing. But it would bounce back much faster, because the pain would hit all at once. By keeping this clusterfuck from exploding, the Feds aren't allowing the really bad crash to happen. But the effects, though not as bad, will be felt over a much longer time period and will end up hurting us much worse. Not to mention the cost...

I know the fear here is that if we do nothing, we end up like Japan's lost decade. Japan did nothing in the 90s and their economy stagnated. They still have the #2 economy in the world, even if they haven't grown in 20 years. But stagnation is apparently a worse solution than owing TRILLIONS to China.
Being Libertarians isnt the answer either. I respect Ron Paul a ton and think he is very genuine but the libertarians that took over the RNC 30 years ago have tried it their way twice. 20 outta the last 28 years in the U.S. have been this form of governing and it didnt tackle the domestic issues that are strangling these industries and unless Ron Paul has a direct way to handle the problems that are hurting us(without just shoving the costs onto the tax payers and saying "Fixed") then they need to come up with better solutions rather then tired and worn out ideas.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ss1129
I would rather see GM fail then taken over by the government that forced them to fail.
The government forced GM to fail? please explain.

The only sucessful government program is the miltary. They have failed at everything else. Why give them more things to **** up.

You really see things in black and white don't you?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

I would rather see GM fail
No offense but the millions of employees that need to put food on the table for their families don't give 2 ***** if you'd rather see them fail. They have kids to feed.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

No offense but the millions of employees that need to put food on the table for their families don't give 2 ***** if you'd rather see them fail. They have kids to feed.
No offense but millions of people are ******* tired of having their hard-earned money extorted from them by the government to prop up insolvent companies.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wannabess00
Being Libertarians isnt the answer either. I respect Ron Paul a ton and think he is very genuine but the libertarians that took over the RNC 30 years ago have tried it their way twice. 20 outta the last 28 years in the U.S. have been this form of governing and it didnt tackle the domestic issues that are strangling these industries and unless Ron Paul has a direct way to handle the problems that are hurting us(without just shoving the costs onto the tax payers and saying "Fixed") then they need to come up with better solutions rather then tired and worn out ideas.
What tired and worn out ideas would those be? Like cutting government spending and cutting taxes on everyone in the US? Giving people the means to save their money for a quick recovery? I guess those are tired and worn out actions but it's common sense.

How does more borrowing and more spending make sense as a solution to too much borrowing and too much spending?

Instead, the government is increasing taxes on the more productive people in the US, which also tend to be the ones that have jobs to offer other people. In addition, the government is continuing to run record deficits, which will burden the taxpayer in the future.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1FC3
No offense but millions of people are ******* tired of having their hard-earned money extorted from them by the government to prop up insolvent companies.
When you get laid off who are you going to go to for help? And then the millions of people your talking about will be mad at you for taking their hard earned money to get you back on ur feet.

If all those people got laid off in an already horrible economy where there is a huge line ahead of you, you think it will cost any less? I don't like it but it's either that or things would have gotten a lot worse.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

When you get laid off who are you going to go to for help? And then the millions of people your talking about will be mad at you for taking their hard earned money to get you back on ur feet.
I'm about to graduate. I had all but secured my dream job until the **** hit the fan. I got a call saying hiring was now frozen and they could no longer offer me the awesome position I never thought I would find. Now, the number of entry-level positions is getting more and more sparse. Believe me when I say I am worried too.

Through college, in addition to my classes, I took it upon myself to learn how to weld steel, do some manual (and a bit of CNC) machining, work on engines, and all-around basic repair and fabrication. Speaking hypothetically, if I got laid off, I would likely take the skills I acquired and offer discount services to people in my community. There's also family, friends, and community charities to go to for help. I have no problem with charity on a community level because it is all volunteered...not forced.

If all those people got laid off in an already horrible economy where there is a huge line ahead of you, you think it will cost any less? I don't like it but it's either that or things would have gotten a lot worse.
Yes, things would be very difficult initially but what the hell do you think happens over time as the government props up and runs zombie corporations? More debt and inferior products. For example, the government is likely going to offer to back new GM warranties. Think bout having to go to the DMV if your new transmission goes, just imagine the paperwork, the lack of customer service...no smart person is going to want to pay for that. It will be the least efficient service you can find. I doubt many shops will be willing to go through the utter hell of dealing with the federal government. It won't be worth their time. Cost goes up, quality goes down. This will likely happen on the manufacturing level, as well.

Instead of just ripping the band-aid off, the government is just slowly, clumsily pulling it off, making it all the more painful in the long term.

I will also attack this from a moral point of view and say that the welfare of those people is not my responsibility. If they did not have the foresight to save money in the case of such a situation happening, then that is their fault. I don't believe in forced wealth redistribution.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1FC3
I'm about to graduate. I had all but secured my dream job until the **** hit the fan. I got a call saying hiring was now frozen and they could no longer offer me the awesome position I never thought I would find. Now, the number of entry-level positions is getting more and more sparse. Believe me when I say I am worried too.

Through college, in addition to my classes, I took it upon myself to learn how to weld steel, do some manual (and a bit of CNC) machining, work on engines, and all-around basic repair and fabrication. Speaking hypothetically, if I got laid off, I would likely take the skills I acquired and offer discount services to people in my community. There's also family, friends, and community charities to go to for help. I have no problem with charity on a community level because it is all volunteered...not forced.

Yes, things would be very difficult initially but what the hell do you think happens over time as the government props up and runs zombie corporations? More debt and inferior products. For example, the government is likely going to offer to back new GM warranties. Think bout having to go to the DMV if your new transmission goes, just imagine the paperwork, the lack of customer service...no smart person is going to want to pay for that. It will be the least efficient service you can find. I doubt many shops will be willing to go through the utter hell of dealing with the federal government. It won't be worth their time. Cost goes up, quality goes down. This will likely happen on the manufacturing level, as well.

Instead of just ripping the band-aid off, the government is just slowly, clumsily pulling it off, making it all the more painful in the long term.

I will also attack this from a moral point of view and say that the welfare of those people is not my responsibility. If they did not have the foresight to save money in the case of such a situation happening, then that is their fault. I don't believe in forced wealth redistribution.

Well I wish you the best of luck but will have to agree to disagree. I strongly disagree with the last statement aspecially but I don't think anything I can say will change your mind.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by 383ss
then let GM fail, go bankrupt and restructure from scratch. its that simple. get the government the F out of it.

I Agree

But i have a feeling that the V8 will no longer be among us soon..
Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Well I wish you the best of luck but will have to agree to disagree. I strongly disagree with the last statement aspecially but I don't think anything I can say will change your mind.
Fair enough, sir.

Quick Reply: Pontiac's Nail in the Coffin