TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ4PtafRB9c
Old 03-17-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Exactly.

Legendary names like Gottlieb Diamler and Ransom Olds are what come to mind when you think of the invention of the automobile.

Not gook names like Akyoto Kakazaki Toyoda
"Gook"
Are you a rascist or just an a@@hole? or both

My wife is from Japan and my kids are half Japanese.

More than likely you are indeed both.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:31 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Or...

The American and German manufacturers led the way for the entire industry for nearly a century. Japan was very late to the game, everything had either been done or developed but never implemented. Japan had nothing left but to tweak existing designs.

Keep in mind that GM was using fuel injection years before Honda and Toyota even existed
Exactly.

Legendary names like Gottlieb Diamler and Ransom Olds are what come to mind when you think of the invention of the automobile.

Not gook names like Akyoto Kakazaki Toyoda
I am well aware of the leaps and bounds that American manufacturers made 30+ years ago. But everyone here is acting like that's all that matters.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

in the end, all cars are pieces of ****
Old 03-22-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThoR294
in the end, all cars are pieces of ****
And some more than others! I can't believe that Hyundai is still here in the US after their initial offerings in the 80's. Some say they hold it against an American Company because of a bad experience with an offering from the 80's when they don't say squat about poor Japanese or Korean vehicles of the same vintage; and there were plenty. There's some pretty good American and Japanese vehicles out there today, and usually you have to get model specific to get to the better ones. And they aren't any better when they’re built in Japan as many would have you believe. I sure would rather have an American built Camry than Japanese built RAV4. And I would prefer almost any Gm or Ford vehicle compared with a Kia or Mitsu.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Those that wont by imports because of racist reason are idiots. Plain and simple.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Racial stereotyping is no different than any other stereotyping because someone is different. Fill in the blank; Religion, Fat, skinny, different nationality, Ugly, foreign or southern accent etc..etc. It's a recent American thing that somehow racial stereotyping is any worse than the others. It's all the same; it’s a waste of breath and detracts from your argument!
Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TT632
And some more than others! I can't believe that Hyundai is still here in the US after their initial offerings in the 80's. Some say they hold it against an American Company because of a bad experience with an offering from the 80's when they don't say squat about poor Japanese or Korean vehicles of the same vintage; and there were plenty.
That's an excellent point. Hyundai builds a decent (I said decent, not great) vehicle for the money now but back in '86/'87 they were barely worth even 2/3rds of the $5k price they were asking for them LOL.

Originally Posted by Ke^in
Those that wont by imports because of racist reason are idiots. Plain and simple.
I agree 100%.
My pro American/nationalistic type postings are sometimes mistaken for having a racist overtone to them but they are nothing of the sort.
Just like the citizens of Japan, Germany (or any nation) practice, I too just want to see Americans putting America first at all costs, be it in protecting it's children's futures, supporting it's military or even patronizing it's corporations (aka: tax paying employers of vast amounts of American citizens).
Old 03-22-2010, 04:58 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
That's an excellent point. Hyundai builds a decent (I said decent, not great) vehicle for the money now but back in '86/'87 they were barely worth even 2/3rds of the $5k price they were asking for them LOL.

I agree 100%.
My pro American/nationalistic type postings are sometimes mistaken for having a racist overtone to them but they are nothing of the sort.
Just like the citizens of Japan, Germany (or any nation) practice, I too just want to see Americans putting America first at all costs, be it in protecting it's children's futures, supporting it's military or even patronizing it's corporations (aka: tax paying employers of vast amounts of American citizens).
I agree, but I will present this situation to you; quite a bit of the reason for the recent automotive situation was what some call the Big 3 being unperceptive and unresponsive to consumer wants/needs. The people that bought American because it's American were falsely bolstering sales (along with fleet), and not allowing them to get a true understanding of how competitive their products really were. Now I'm no expert, but I would imagine that it would have been more beneficial to the Big 3 if sales had slacked off ~10 years ago (like they should have?), and they had started making these extremely-competitive cars sooner than they did. It might not have completely solved the problem, but I imagine that it would have helped.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I agree, but I will present this situation to you; quite a bit of the reason for the recent automotive situation was what some call the Big 3 being unperceptive and unresponsive to consumer wants/needs. The people that bought American because it's American were falsely bolstering sales (along with fleet), and not allowing them to get a true understanding of how competitive their products really were. Now I'm no expert, but I would imagine that it would have been more beneficial to the Big 3 if sales had slacked off ~10 years ago (like they should have?), and they had started making these extremely-competitive cars sooner than they did. It might not have completely solved the problem, but I imagine that it would have helped.
Your statement mostly applies to cars, not to the trucks. The Big 3 have always made the best trucks and SUV's, and still do. No two ways about it, the Japs have never caught up and never will because they don't understand American culture.

It wasn't always the vehicles themselves that weren't competitive either. For example, the new for '96 Taurus and new for '97 Malibu were best in class in many ways and very competitive. However, those same cars by 2003had recieved only minor updates and changes and were lagging behind considerably in terms of competitiveness.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yes, the concept that competition improves the breed definitely applies at least a little bit here.
And as Wesmanw02 points out above, the very same also holds true in reverse for the truck/SUV market as Japan (and even Germany) had to also step it up a bit in order to be competitive with the domestic offerings.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:58 PM
***Repost Police***

Your statement mostly applies to cars, not to the trucks. The Big 3 have always made the best trucks and SUV's, and still do. No two ways about it, the Japs have never caught up and never will because they don't understand American culture.

It wasn't always the vehicles themselves that weren't competitive either. For example, the new for '96 Taurus and new for '97 Malibu were best in class in many ways and very competitive. However, those same cars by 2003had recieved only minor updates and changes and were lagging behind considerably in terms of competitiveness.
I always have said that America makes the best trucks (atleast half-ton and larger), but I wouldn't say the '96 Taurus and '97 Malibu were "best in class in many ways." There was a reason that the Taurus was the best selling car in America from '92 till '96, but not again afterwards. They rested on their laurels far too much. And the Malibu in '97 was very competitive if you compared it to stuff like the '97 Altima, but I would never say it was best in class, or even one of the best.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Yes, the concept that competition improves the breed definitely applies at least a little bit here.
And as Wesmanw02 points out above, the very same also holds true in reverse for the truck/SUV market as Japan (and even Germany) had to also step it up a bit in order to be competitive with the domestic offerings.
Touché!
Unfortunately American built vehicles are all but locked out of many of these foreign markets, some of it due to desirability (plain small cars which they already have). Some due to tariffs based on engine size (Camaro/corvette). Some based on foreign currency manipulation. Some based on regulations that are put in place to protect their manufacturers. End result is the same!

Best we can do is to buy the best built American vehicle we can. Personally, I would even include foreign brand vehicles that are assembled here with North American sourced parts (If you want to make millions off of us you better employ us!).
Old 03-23-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Racial stereotyping is no different than any other stereotyping. Because someone is different, fill in the blank; Religion, Fat, skinny, different nationality, Ugly, foreign or southern accent etc..etc.
I agree up to a point. There are things we can decide, and things we are born unto. For example being born a certain color isn't your choice. What religion you practice is. Having said that, I don't believe in stereotyping either one.
It's a recent American thing that somehow racial stereotyping is any worse than the others.
It's not recent, and it's certainly not just an American thing.
It's all the same; it’s a waste of breath and detracts from your argument!
If your speaking to me, I am not sure you know what my argument is.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ke^in
If your speaking to me, I am not sure you know what my argument is.
Nope, just a general statement.
People, usually could care less if someone uses derogatory statements against someone of another race, nationality, religion thats not their own. It's a different story when it is directed at you, or in the case of the 'gook' statement above. Doesn't really have a place in an arguement.

Think this thread is getting away from the topic at hand (Sticky pedals).

Sounds like Toyota has test data that they knew it could be electrical since 2002.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Think this thread is getting away from the topic at hand (Sticky pedals).

Sounds like Toyota has test data that they knew it could be electrical since 2002.
Been away from this thread awhile (the racist remarks were stupid and nobody has had a solid statement since this started), so please do tell on the electrical thingy.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kain01
Been away from this thread awhile (the racist remarks were stupid and nobody has had a solid statement since this started), so please do tell on the electrical thingy.
Initially, after hearing this one I would be inclined to discount it as not being a UA issue ie. a potential 4 mph surge. But whats acceptable; a 5, 10 or 20mph surge?

If average people in middle America have experienced this then you know that Toyotas drivers, Engineers and technicians at their proving grounds have most likely experienced UA. If I was a Federal investigator I would definately query the previously mentioned group

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/23/r...ssues-in-2002/

Here's one from Bloomberg that looks as if they are trying to make Toyota look better relative to the rest of the industry, but it fails badly. If Toyota accounts for 59 out of 110 UI related deaths something stinks in Denmark...I mean Tokyo

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=avQgmSFrg58A

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal