Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
It says they tried to stop the car over a 30-40 mile stretch. It seems weird that he was able to keep control of a car with a stuck accelerator for that long. No crashes or problems caused for other people. I am not saying it was stuck WOT but still. What did he do if cars were obstructing all lanes?

Did any news heli's capture footage to see that the car was stuck?
The driver claims that the accelerator wouldn't function,
brakes were not working and car could not be shifted into neutral.
That is a hell of a lot of systems to go out at the same moment.
If it had been me, I would have driven it toward the shoulder and turned it off. He probably tried that also and the car wouldn't turn off.
Just seems suspicious to me.

In Car and Driver or one of the other auto mags., there is a good article on how they believe that anyone that owns a Toyota and gets a ticket or into an accident now is just jumping onto the "defect" bandwagon.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by proporio
The driver claims that the accelerator wouldn't function,
brakes were not working and car could not be shifted into neutral.
That is a hell of a lot of systems to go out at the same moment.
If it had been me, I would have driven it toward the shoulder and turned it off. He probably tried that also and the car wouldn't turn off.
Just seems suspicious to me.

In Car and Driver or one of the other auto mags., there is a good article on how they believe that anyone that owns a Toyota and gets a ticket or into an accident now is just jumping onto the "defect" bandwagon.
I could see how people would do this, but Car and Driver is the last place I would look for unbiased Toyota (or BMW) information.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love that the shoe is on the other foot for once...makes me laugh and laugh and laugh. Seems like everytime I check this thread(or the news for that matter), Toyota is getting fuct with another recall. Looks good on em. I laugh even more on the way to work since theres a brand new Toyota dealership in front of my place with tumbleweed blowing thru.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ke^in
That is the greatest thing ever!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Well, many people were saying they were growing too fast and this is the result of that growth. Personally, I have never been satisfied with the looks or performance of the Toyota products I have owned. The puppet masters from Japan sure "Lost face" when they appeared before congress. The problem with the Japanese manufacturers in general is they have always copied products from the west. They have never been a great developer of new technologies, just tweakers of technologies the we developed.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:04 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by TT632
Well, many people were saying they were growing too fast and this is the result of that growth. Personally, I have never been satisfied with the looks or performance of the Toyota products I have owned. The puppet masters from Japan sure "Lost face" when they appeared before congress. The problem with the Japanese manufacturers in general is they have always copied products from the west. They have never been a great developer of new technologies, just tweakers of technologies the we developed.
Yeah, the Japanese copied the first mass-produced hybrid vehicle. And the first all-aluminum chassis/body. And the first electronically-controlled variable valve timing. See a pattern here? I'm not here to sing the praises of Japanese automakers, but to say all they have done is "copied products from the west" is pretty ignorant
Old 03-12-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Well since you put it like that

The fact is we were using variable valve timing on steam engines as early as the 1820s when the Japanese were running around on little wooden boats and playing with swords. GM had patents in place for variable cams long before the Japanese companies even thought about it. It's common knowledge (except from your generation, apparently) that the success of the Japanese auto manufacturers has always been to copy rather than have to spend the money to design products from scratch. Their 6 cylinder engines starting on military trucks in the 40s were a knock off of Chevys inline 6. Later variations of these were used in the Land Cruisers, kind of sounds like Land Rover If you look at Japanese history you will see the real pattern is a history of copying everything from west; From Bicycles, to cars, to ships, to planes from the late 1800's to now. They’re early space program was based on rockets that were licensed copies of ours until they copied them, and called it their own. The fast and furious mentality that the Japanese produce magical vehicles really escapes me.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yeah, the Japanese copied the first mass-produced hybrid vehicle. And the first all-aluminum chassis/body. And the first electronically-controlled variable valve timing. See a pattern here? I'm not here to sing the praises of Japanese automakers, but to say all they have done is "copied products from the west" is pretty ignorant
Did you even read what you quoted?

GM and Fiat had developed and introduced variable valve control long before Japan did. The first gasoline/electric hybrid? Not Japan either. They COPIED the design with a few tweaks.

Most everything the Japanese automakers are given credit for is borrowed technology. GM's innovations ALONE completely overshadow the accomplishments of the entire Asian auto manufacturer market.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Yup. That is why the Nippons have such a profitable business. Because they never had to pay for the development.

But, you do have to give them credit for their workplace organization and refinement of ASM processes. Plus they do work hard at what they do. Real Japanese workers at Toyota are paid little and expected to work overtime for free just to keep their job.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:21 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by TT632
Well since you put it like that

The fact is we were using variable valve timing on steam engines as early as the 1820s when the Japanese were running around on little wooden boats and playing with swords. GM had patents in place for variable cams long before the Japanese companies even thought about it. It's common knowledge (except from your generation, apparently) that the success of the Japanese auto manufacturers has always been to copy rather than have to spend the money to design products from scratch. Their 6 cylinder engines starting on military trucks in the 40s were a knock off of Chevys inline 6. Later variations of these were used in the Land Cruisers, kind of sounds like Land Rover If you look at Japanese history you will see the real pattern is a history of copying everything from west; From Bicycles, to cars, to ships, to planes from the late 1800's to now. They’re early space program was based on rockets that were licensed copies of ours until they copied them, and called it their own. The fast and furious mentality that the Japanese produce magical vehicles really escapes me.
Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Did you even read what you quoted?

GM and Fiat had developed and introduced variable valve control long before Japan did. The first gasoline/electric hybrid? Not Japan either. They COPIED the design with a few tweaks.

Most everything the Japanese automakers are given credit for is borrowed technology. GM's innovations ALONE completely overshadow the accomplishments of the entire Asian auto manufacturer market.
Ya'll need to read a bit closer.
Technically every manufacturer in the world copied the Germans, because Daimler made the first device which could be considered a "car." Which is why I got specific. And it was actually Nissan that made the first electronically-controlled variable valve timing system. Honda just developed the first system that ran two entirely different cam profiles.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ya'll need to read a bit closer.

Technically every manufacturer in the world copied the Germans, because Daimler made the first device which could be considered a "car." Which is why I got specific. And it was actually Nissan that made the first electronically-controlled variable valve timing system. Honda just developed the first system that ran two entirely different cam profiles.
Actually, you need to read a bit closer. They said that the Japs copied designs (i.e. variable valve timing), added a few tweaks (i.e. electronic controls), and called it their own. The only real innovation that comes from Japan is their TV game shows.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:40 AM
***Repost Police***

Electronically-controlled variable valve timing using two completely different cam profiles and variable lift isn't exactly "tweaking." If you want to take it that far, then like I said... everybody copied the Germans. To say that Japanese auto companies never have any innovation is pretty ridiculous. Were you here for the 80s/90s when American manufacturers didn't do ****?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, really? Who invented the wheel?
Old 03-13-2010, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Were you here for the 80s/90s when American manufacturers didn't do ****?
Yes, were you?

I know I was here for the American manufacturer's major advancements in the areas of mass produced: ABS braking/active handling/airbag/composite body panel/towing-hauling/horsepower to fuel economy ratio technologies (late '90s) among others.

Not sure where anyone else was for some of that though.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:33 PM
***Repost Police***

Composite body panels? Are you talking about the 1984 Corvette that was built of basically ABS plastic? And you can't really believe that we pioneered ABS... did you know that the NSX was the first mass-produced vehicle with 4-channel ABS? There is a difference between being a patriot, and being against anything that isn't American. Which is how it appears you are, from every post I read.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Composite body panels? Are you talking about the 1984 Corvette that was built of basically ABS plastic? And you can't really believe that we pioneered ABS... did you know that the NSX was the first mass-produced vehicle with 4-channel ABS? There is a difference between being a patriot, and being against anything that isn't American. Which is how it appears you are, from every post I read.
Actually the 1953 Corvette was the first car to use fiberglass (which qualifies as a composite) body panels, and the 1971 Chrysler Imperial was the first vehicle to use 3 channel ABS which was the first automotive use of the ABS system outside of aircraft, which was designed by a French guy. Gabriel Voisin to be exact. Here's a google search for his name. Few changes to automobile's since Daimler's motorized cart have been true innovation's imho. Just a bunch of guy's sitting around wondering how they can make them go faster ever since.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Gabri...bc9ba0718e9555

Last edited by kain01; 03-14-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:46 PM
***Repost Police***

3 channel is good, 4 channel is 4-wheel independent. Which is what cars today use. If you consider that to be "copying," then go right ahead. Saying Japanese manufacturers don't innovate, when lack of innovation/drive/style is what caused GM to get in trouble in the first place, is pretty dumb IMO.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Irunelevens, as usual, your posts are a breath of fresh air.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

Question

There is a difference between being a patriot, and being against anything that isn't American. Which is how it appears you are, from every post I read.
That's now the second time you've posted something along those lines to me, obviously based on posts I've made in the past. And since your attacks/questionings of my patriotism and deep rooted feelings of nationalism I've backed off on making such associations between one's buying GM/Ford vehicles and their true loyalty/faithfulness to the nation they call home because the truth is the two are not quite as related as they maybe once were during the post war '40s, '50s & '60s.
Yet you're still hell bent on fixating on it and bringing it into a thread even when I haven't drifted in that direction. I'm just pointing out facts here like you (supposedly) are.

And dude, as much as my posts my might appear to be biased towards anything that isn't American, posts such as this:
and this:
Electronically-controlled variable valve timing using two completely different cam profiles and variable lift isn't exactly "tweaking." If you want to take it that far, then like I said... everybody copied the Germans. To say that Japanese auto companies never have any innovation is pretty ridiculous. Were you here for the 80s/90s when American manufacturers didn't do ****?
appear to be VERY biased towards anything that isn't Japanese.
But that of course is ok in your eyes.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:27 AM
***Repost Police***

Yes, obviously with my love of Corvettes and my past ownership, I am completely biased toward Japanese products...

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal