Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TT632
Yes, but it was 10 years old
Typical Foreign car enthusiast; with statements like..."I drove in a 1996 (fill in the blank with any American car) and it was terrible compared to my 2009 ( Fill in the blank with the favorite Foreign car)". Compare a 2010 Accord, Camry with a 2010 equivalent trim level Malibu for an objective view point.
True Dat, my 98 Camaro's interior is light year's ahead of my old 89 CRX interior. I thought that thing was going to start tossing peices at me while I was driving it.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BanditTA
You obviously haven't driven a malibu
ha.. I sure have, and im not talking about the brand new malibu..
Compare an 03 camry and an 03 malibu...

We'll go from there..
Old 02-05-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Green3spd

We'll go from there..
7 Years ago...Who cares about 7 years ago. When you go look at a new Malibu VS a New Camry. They are very comparable.

Typical import jabber, well 7 years ago blah blah blah.

The Camry isn't the same car it is today as it was 7 years ago either.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:33 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

We'll go from there..
Hmm, well based on that that logic (and I use the term "logic" very loosely ) how about we compare the overall quality/workmanship of a 1950s/1960s Toyota to a 1950s/1960s Chevrolet?
We'll go from there...

Most of the cars that Japan was building/sending over here way back in the day were some of the most oil burning, body & frame rusting pieces of horse poo that ever attempted to traverse a highway.
In case you weren't sure it is 2010 now.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

We'll go from there..
The import is 75 percent american made and the domestic is 75 percent imported.... oh the irony.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jim1450
Still a US based company with a strong American heritage but that doesnt seem to matter to enough people today.
Do you have any idea how much in taxes the US auto companies & their employees paid in taxes in the 20th century?
This country was built with the tax dollars all the US based companies(not just auto companies either) paid in federal taxes, look how Mexico developed.
Then came Japan making everything cheap, stupid people bought their early junk & helped them grow & buy half of the US.
In order to compete, since everyone wants Walmart prices munch of all types manufacturing had to get exported.
We didnt learn from that, now we have China & Korea in the picture.

Not that some US companies didnt screw up, poor quality & planning but they have corrected most of the problems but unfortunately the public is set in their ways & kind of stupid.
In the future I bet Toyota & Honda will be in for some rough times, they have to compete with Kia & Hyundai now along with Chinese companies in the future-again because to many dont care where their money goes.
You seem to not understand the reasoning behind my post and how it supports yours and not the other side.. Its americans that have allowed it to get this way. I know for a fact that some people just dont care. I see it everyday with the products that I produce. Everyone wants a paycheck but they dont want to stand up for quality and go out of their way to make a safe, quality product. It the japanese companies allowing it to pass and not doing a frikin thing about it honestly.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jim1450
Sorry, my bad then.
lol no biggie were on the same page.

I do not know if that company that made those pedals etc was located in the US but a lack of passion and care for the company and products is a big concern in the US. Not going union is also another one.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is how I see it. If you spec a pedal, choose the manufacture and then the company who ordered the pedal QAs the pedal, excepts it and puts in the car,it is one companies fault. The company who puts their badge on the car.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
Here is how I see it. If you spec a pedal, choose the manufacture and then the company who ordered the pedal QAs the pedal, excepts it and puts in the car,it is one companies fault. The company who puts their badge on the car.
Agreed, but there seems to be a bit of convenient reasoning or justification that many import nameplate buyers tend to use when it comes to their manufacturer of choice.
Apparently if GM has an issue with a part going bad then it's GM's and only GM's fault...yet when Toyota has an issue with a part it's got to be only the supplier's fault (especially if it's not a Japanese based supplier).
Again, quite convenient.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How come Denso pedals have no issue then? only CTS pedals? :O
Old 02-06-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We'll go from there..
Until recently GM's process involved see what the competitor's bring out, catch up to where they are. The 03 Malibu was a great competitor to the 96-2000 Camry. It wasn't until the current Malibu that GM decided they would try to compete with the current model's their competitor's are offering. You can do this with any car, hell the current Impala is a great competitor to the previous gen Avalon.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Agreed, but there seems to be a bit of convenient reasoning or justification that many import nameplate buyers tend to use when it comes to their manufacturer of choice.
Apparently if GM has an issue with a part going bad then it's GM's and only GM's fault...yet when Toyota has an issue with a part it's got to be only the supplier's fault (especially if it's not a Japanese based supplier).
Again, quite convenient.
And that was my friend, was point exactly. The Toyota Nut swingers blame the supplier, when GM, Ford or Mopar has a recall based off a part from an outside source, it is GM, Ford or Mopars fault. When Turdyota has a recall based of a part from an outside source it is the outside sources fault.
The Toyota guys don't like the bashing they are getting right now, shoe sucks when it is on the other foot. I love hearing them whine and cry.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:42 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by kain01
Until recently GM's process involved see what the competitor's bring out, catch up to where they are. The 03 Malibu was a great competitor to the 96-2000 Camry. It wasn't until the current Malibu that GM decided they would try to compete with the current model's their competitor's are offering. You can do this with any car, hell the current Impala is a great competitor to the previous gen Avalon.
I mean... not really. It was an extremely-mediocre car, even compared to the Camry.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I mean... not really. It was an extremely-mediocre car, even compared to the Camry.
Have you seen the 90's Camry? I mean I owned an 05, and that is a mediocre car too. We're talking entry level suburbanite cars here, not even close to an entry lux vehicle. Both car's were a slight step up from my 91 Cavalier.

I mean this

vs. this

Neither of which had wiper's on the headlight's yet. Geez.

Last edited by kain01; 02-06-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ThoR294
How come Denso pedals have no issue then? only CTS pedals? :O
You have consistently ignored the information to the contrary that has been posted. Let me bring it to your attention one more time.

Toyota has honored CTS three times since 2005 for the quality and efficiency of its work, citing the fact that the supplier "exceeded quality expectations" and achieved "100 percent on-time delivery and for shipping accelerator pedal modules with zero defects."
However, the Times review of federal safety records shows several instances of complaints of stuck pedals on vehicles built in Japan (that means they don't have the CTS pedal), which Toyota has said are not subject to the recall. For example, one complaint, filed two years ago, told of a 2007 Japanese-built Camry in Maryland with a pedal that "stuck to the floor."
Of the complaints about sticking pedals identified by The Times, only one resulted in a fatality. But that vehicle, a 2003 Camry, contained a pedal assembly that was not manufactured by CTS.

In fact, of 11 injuries reported to NHTSA in complaints that alleged stuck pedals, only one -- a 2008 Camry Hybrid that ran into a tree in Minnesota last October -- was in a vehicle included in the current recall, The Times found.(that means that there were 10 vehicles that had the same problem with pedals that weren't made by CTS)
Here's the whole article. Again. Try reading it this time.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...073,full.story
Old 02-07-2010, 03:58 AM
12 Second Club

http://autos.aol.com/article/toyota-...ix-walkthrough
Old 02-07-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hint, "ALLEGED". there are so many people coming out of the woodwork trying to get their $$ from toyota to get a new car and ****. you just believe everything you hear. We had a woman in a 05 sienna say she hit an embankment and said "felt like the accelerator stuck". I know this woman and she has been trying to get out of the sienna for a year or so. so people are just making up BS to try to get their $$ from toyota. that sienna is not even part of the recall.....
Old 02-07-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

hint, "ALLEGED". there are so many people coming out of the woodwork trying to get their $$ from toyota to get a new car and ****. you just believe everything you hear. We had a woman in a 05 sienna say she hit an embankment and said "felt like the accelerator stuck". I know this woman and she has been trying to get out of the sienna for a year or so. so people are just making up BS to try to get their $$ from toyota. that sienna is not even part of the recall.....
Toyota can do no wrong. It is useless to argue with you.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't mean to be an ***, but why is this "pedal" issue still on the table? It has nothing to do with the pedal! Come on floor mats = (toyota buying time to figure it out). Now a shim and stronger return spring? Toyota needs to just come out and say that their **** stinks too! GM/Ford "well we better take it on this one bad press again". Toyota "What my **** smells like roses and you can even pick it up from the clean end if you have to". Toyota knew about this for years! Now it is the part supplier issue? Well toyota told them what to make and they did it. Oh and by the way yes I hate toyota. Their cars are NOT the godsend they are made out to be. Oh and yeah a lot of people will try and get $ from them just like any other company has had to fork out the $ when they have an issue. To bad for them. Finally glad to see that this one is in the open. To many decades of **** under the rug. They deserve some serious **** from this one. I hope they lose a lot more than billions for this.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Could you possibly just go install a few pedal shims for awhile and just get out of this thread? You have yet to put forth anything constructive here, and you should actually be helping people fix their cars before you cause more deaths.

Last edited by kain01; 02-07-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal