Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hint, "ALLEGED". there are so many people coming out of the woodwork trying to get their $$ from toyota to get a new car and ****. you just believe everything you hear. We had a woman in a 05 sienna say she hit an embankment and said "felt like the accelerator stuck". I know this woman and she has been trying to get out of the sienna for a year or so. so people are just making up BS to try to get their $$ from toyota. that sienna is not even part of the recall.....
Every toyota/lexus/scion with TBW should be on the list. Simple as that. I know that much even with the little know how I have. It is a good day when happens to toyota.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

giggle. you guys are cute.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.thedailybeast.com/video/i...-toyota-recall
Old 02-07-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

its not the pedals fault... its doing its job. its depressed, i mean first off, who isn't depressed?

hahahahahaha
Old 02-09-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres still more going on other than floor mats and sticky pedals. A co-worker of mine had his Camry exhibit unintended acceleration at steady state on the highway last summer. One time occurance in the two and a half years he has had the vehicle. I don't remember this particular issue being brought up in the reports that wasn't floor mat related. Toyota may not have have the data to to get a handle on all of the issues. If you can't duplicate in on road or in a lab environment, you can't fix it. If it is an electrical or computer related glitch it may occur once in the lifetime of one of a hundred or more vehicles; Try duplicating that.

Last edited by TT632; 02-09-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Either way Toyota's reputation is tarnished. And will be so for the foreseeable future.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will recover. The American consumer seems to forgive foreign companies easily. Look how well Hyundai is doing these days, when you can't find a running example from the 80's.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TT632
They will recover. The American consumer seems to forgive foreign companies easily. Look how well Hyundai is doing these days, when you can't find a running example from the 80's.
They should be able to bounce back
Old 02-09-2010, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Toyota......I am disappoint.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
They should be able to bounce back
you do realize thats a FORD test right. of course they are going to sabotage the other vehicles... lol look at the chevy and dodge. no way those trucks do that either.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ThoR294
you do realize thats a FORD test right. of course they are going to sabotage the other vehicles... lol look at the chevy and dodge. no way those trucks do that either.
Yea, because the concept that Ford knows how to make a truck better than anyone else doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tt632
there is definitely something deeper than they are admitting. The japanese oems have always been big about silent recalls, so this is just the tip that gets exposed. It's all about saving face with them. I still will never understand the psychology of the import devoted public. You could have this type of recall happening weekly and they will still stand by their favorite foreign company!
a freakin men!! Why not support your own people!?!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
Yea, because the concept that Ford knows how to make a truck better than anyone else doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
That GIF is a clip from a ford truck test. you know that right?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting read.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/09/news...dex.htm?hpt=T1
Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

That GIF is a clip from a ford truck test. you know that right?
Yea. I watched all the videos from that. Just because Ford did the tests doesn't mean they sabotaged the competition. Ford had no need to sabotage the Tundra. An open C channel frame has no hope of competing with a fully boxed frame. Chevy has done similar tests with just the Silverado and Tundra and the Tundra fell short there, too.

In the Ford test, the frame bounced around all kinds of crazy like because it was nowhere near as stiff as the F-150. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford did that test as multiple speeds and the one at 28mph just happened to show resonance in the Toy's frame so that was the one they showed. There was also a test of chassis rigidity where they hung weights on one end of the frame and the Toy flexed more than twice as much as the F-150 frame under the same load.

In the Chevy test, it was more of a showcase of how the Tundra will get stuck with only a limited slip differential instead of a fully locking diff like the Silverado has.

It's not sabotage, it's physics. When it comes to trucks, Toyota is far inferior to the domestic offerings, they're just putting it out there for all to see.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
#1 selling truck and #1 selling vehicle period in the U.S. for many, many years.

Originally Posted by AFish66
Old 02-10-2010, 02:00 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by AFish66
I do what any intelligent person does; buy what best suits my needs/wants. If it is a Ford, so be it. If it's a Chevy, great. If it's a Honda, it's in my garage. The way the Big 3 got in the position they are/were in is because they rested on their laurels too much and relied too much on 60 year old people buying Buicks and their truck sales. Now that they are finally making cars people want to drive, so many people are used to the 20+ years of them making ****, that they still aren't buying it. Don't blame the people, blame the company.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I do what any intelligent person does; buy what best suits my needs/wants. If it is a Ford, so be it. If it's a Chevy, great. If it's a Honda, it's in my garage. The way the Big 3 got in the position they are/were in is because they rested on their laurels too much and relied too much on 60 year old people buying Buicks and their truck sales. Now that they are finally making cars people want to drive, so many people are used to the 20+ years of them making ****, that they still aren't buying it. Don't blame the people, blame the company.
It will happen, it's just going to take a little more time.
Afterall, as I've noted many times before, the Japanese manufacturers used to produce a lot of **** as well back in the day yet Americans (and the rest of the world) somehow found it in their hearts to forgive them. I believe it's only fair to expect the very same courtesy (aka: forgiveness) now.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TT632
They will recover.
I was referring to simply America. I doubt they see any dip anywhere else. They wont go under no, but in America, Toyota has just tarnished their image. Will it eventually recover? Maybe. Toyota will never be though of like it once was however. The seal was broke.

And it's not so much what happened to the cars, as the dishonest way they went about trying to "correct" it.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you ever actually looked at a Yota frame and compared it to a GM or Ford. It's like comparing the white house to a trailer. They box the frame a 1/4 the way, it isn't hydroformed, used punched steel cross members, no support on the bottom flange. Compared to GMs and Fords 90% boxed (minus areas where they can't), hydroformed rails (not sure if Ford does this yet) and tubular cross members installed through the center axis of the section.

I'm an engineer, I look at stuff like this

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal