Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah the frames ive looked at are the ones with gigantic rust holes O haha. As far as the tests go I just kinda laugh at when car makers test their cars against other cars. Obviously the manufacturers car/truck is going to win.

also, I hate the new tundras. the older ones are much better. the new ones warp front rotors like no other, have weak diffs, etc. Id take an american truck over them anyday. I do like the tacos tho
Old 02-10-2010, 11:15 AM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
It will happen, it's just going to take a little more time.
Afterall, as I've noted many times before, the Japanese manufacturers used to produce a lot of **** as well back in the day yet Americans (and the rest of the world) somehow found it in their hearts to forgive them. I believe it's only fair to expect the very same courtesy (aka: forgiveness) now.
Back in the day when most of the people that buy cars nowadays either weren't alive, or were too young to drive. They also brought them over in MUCH MUCH lower volume. It wasn't till the mid-late 70s that you would see Japanese cars in any sort of volume. So since a great number of the people buying cars now are in their 20s/30s, all they remember is the Hondas/Toyotas that their parents had when they were kids, and the Hondas/Toyotas that they had as their first cars, and the not-so-stellar offerings that they big three had in the 80s/90s. And nobody can legitimately argue that the domestic offerings were leading the pack. So you can't blame people for the way they think nowadays.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThoR294
yeah the frames ive looked at are the ones with gigantic rust holes O haha. As far as the tests go I just kinda laugh at when car makers test their cars against other cars. Obviously the manufacturers car/truck is going to win.
Maybe true with some OEMs but that has not been my experience. I did Competitor testing when I was an Engineer at Nissan and GM. The test results were 100% unbiased "It is what it is" as the saying goes. If you falsified data you would lose your job.

I'm not a Ford truck fan, ride quality has always been not to my liking, but they have always had the beefiest frame in class. They are probably thicker and stiffer than they need to be compared to the competition; Kind of like a Hammer compared to GMs battle sword or Toyotas pocket knife. Actually all of the new trucks are pretty darn good, I just can't bring my self to buy one from Toyota.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:34 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by jim1450
You can blame people for being IDIOTS for suporting foreign companies & sending American money to foreign countries so they can own the US.
Tell me how do you like our country being owned by Asia?
Well I am very glad that you have an unbiased opinion... maybe if the American companies had been worth a damn, they wouldn't have lost all their market share.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Back in the day when most of the people that buy cars nowadays either weren't alive, or were too young to drive. They also brought them over in MUCH MUCH lower volume. It wasn't till the mid-late 70s that you would see Japanese cars in any sort of volume. So since a great number of the people buying cars now are in their 20s/30s, all they remember is the Hondas/Toyotas that their parents had when they were kids, and the Hondas/Toyotas that they had as their first cars, and the not-so-stellar offerings that they big three had in the 80s/90s. And nobody can legitimately argue that the domestic offerings were leading the pack. So you can't blame people for the way they think nowadays.
Part of their downfall and slow recovery is people perpetuating the myth that the GM vehicles from the 80s or 90s were so poor relative to their foreign competition. Typically, I find these people as never ever owning a GM vehicle or not having one recently.

I tested GM vehicles from a competitors point of view in the 90's and they consistanly tested good or very good for all almost all categories; never below average. I don't recall dropping one from a test because it was deemed not worth testing by myself or Japanese management, which happened often with sub tier Japanese vehicles, Korean vehicles and some Chryslers of that time. I don't recall one GM vehicle ever breaking down and leaving me stranded on any test drive. Typically, the Toyotas of that time tested both objectively and subjectively at the top of the list, but only slightly.

Our viewpoint of GM at that time was that the vehicles were fully developed compared to many of the other competitors and many could potentially be best in class with minor efforts; ie shock valving, spring/bushing tuning, tire selection etc.

Backing up my argument that Foreign vehicles are so superior, is the abundance of 80s and 90's GM vehicles you will find on the market. Look on Craigslist; there are a ton of GM vehicles from the 80s and 90s that are still on the road and will remain on the road for years to come. There are vehicles from some manufacturers where you will find no 80's vehicles on the road but GM is not one of them.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
***Repost Police***

And there are also a ****-ton of Hondas/Toyotas from the 80s out there too.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
That all may be true.
But it still doesn't erase the fact that Japanese carmakers also built crappy vehicles at one time yet were somehow able to put it behind them. I don't care if buyers are 20-30 years old or 60-70 years old, people should be buying based on facts, not on perception.
Simply put: if one can be forgiven than all can be forgiven...or does it only go one way?

If GM/Ford/Chrysler aren't (eventually/someday) afforded the same courtesy by American vehicle buyers now that they've made such huge strides in quality/workmanship (just as Toyota/Nissan (Datsun)/Honda had improved after some of the **** they made in the '50s & '60s) then this simply proves the very point that some of us are trying to make here...that people are simply biased/brainwashed/fooled into a closeminded and one sided form of thinking and that even if GM were to offer the world a direct inside & out clone/copy of a Toyota/Lexus LS460 for under $30k they still wouldn't buy it.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:26 PM
***Repost Police***

Yes, but now is far too soon to offer conjecture on that. Not enough time has passed yet.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...mentid=1128584

"Or, contrast Toyota's 19 deaths with the roughly 250 fatalities linked to an exponentially smaller number of Ford Explorers equipped with defective Firestone tires a decade ago. When those old-school Explorers were flipping en masse, shining a spotlight on the dangers of SUV rollovers — or when Ford pickups were spontaneously catching fire, due to a faulty-ignition-switch whose recall Ford has dragged out for more than a decade — you didn't see Toyota trying to take advantage of the situation."

I lol'd.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...mentid=1128584

"Or, contrast Toyota's 19 deaths with the roughly 250 fatalities linked to an exponentially smaller number of Ford Explorers equipped with defective Firestone tires a decade ago. When those old-school Explorers were flipping en masse, shining a spotlight on the dangers of SUV rollovers — or when Ford pickups were spontaneously catching fire, due to a faulty-ignition-switch whose recall Ford has dragged out for more than a decade — you didn't see Toyota trying to take advantage of the situation."

I lol'd.
Yes, but checking tire pressure is a regular maintenance item. Toyotas issues are not maintenance related.

Hate to tell everyone, Toyotas just aren't that great. In General they're good cars, just not great cars, and there’s some bad ones too; my RAV4 is the worst vehicle I have, easily. And the Toyota truck I had before that couldn't carry more than 2 bags of concrete in the back without dragging on the ground. They are both reliable vehicles, but far from stellar. I may even get a Supra next, just to be miserable for a year. The whole Toyota fiasco just exposes what many of us have been saying for years; Toyota's reputation is not as great as people make it out to be.

Last edited by TT632; 02-11-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TT632
In General they're good cars, just not great car, and there’s some bad ones too;
The whole Toyota fiasco just exposes what many of us have been saying for years; Toyota's reputation is not as great as people make it out to be.
I agree.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, but checking tire pressure is a regular maintenance item. Toyotas issues are not maintenance related.
problem is, ford set the PSI to 26. the door said 26psi. Which is full of fail
Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Hate to tell everyone, Toyotas just aren't that great. In General they're good cars, just not great car, and there’s some bad ones too; my RAV4 is the worst vehicle I have, easily. And the Toyota truck I had before that couldn't carry more than 2 bags of concrete in the back without dragging on the ground. They are both reliable vehicles, but for from stellar. I may even get a Supra next, just to be miserable for a year. The whole Toyota fiasco just exposes what many of us have been saying for years; Toyota's reputation is not as great as people make it out to be.
first of... i HATE THE RAV4... i work for them its a cheap suv... thats what u get when u bought it... its like getting a geo metro.... they are crap i hate working on them small wheel base bla bla just dont like them kinda like a jeep liberty... and what truck did u have a toyota "truck" that was like a freaking s10 and ur bitching about putting **** in the bed... have u not driven a t100 or a tundra... hell i know a t100 STOCK MOTOR 3.4l /TRANNY/REAR END 270k on the clock that pulls FARM EQUIPMENT... i have seen this thing pull upwards of 8k lbs no problem(rated at MAX 5k).. and i am not talkin just pulling around the block.. like i am talkin taking tractors to the deer lease and such... yea its got helper bags... and it pulls it great doesnt over heat the tranny nuthing...

and if u think toyotas reputation is not as great as people make it out to be... why are they the WORLDS leading auto maker...???????????

MAYBE... yall dont like a car unless its built by the UAW i wanna get paid 6 figures for putting on lugnuts too
Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ
first of... i HATE THE RAV4... i work for them its a cheap suv... thats what u get when u bought it... its like getting a geo metro.... they are crap i hate working on them small wheel base bla bla just dont like them kinda like a jeep liberty... and what truck did u have a toyota "truck" that was like a freaking s10 and ur bitching about putting **** in the bed... have u not driven a t100 or a tundra... hell i know a t100 STOCK MOTOR 3.4l /TRANNY/REAR END 270k on the clock that pulls FARM EQUIPMENT... i have seen this thing pull upwards of 8k lbs no problem(rated at MAX 5k).. and i am not talkin just pulling around the block.. like i am talkin taking tractors to the deer lease and such... yea its got helper bags... and it pulls it great doesnt over heat the tranny nuthing...
very true. i hate the damn rav hahaha and +1 to the truck stuff
Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 PM
The House is Rockin'

i do some matienance for a elderly couple that are in there 80's, i was at there house today and there toyota was parked outside. the whole front end had been smashed off like it had hit a frickin semi! i asked her what had happend, she told me that she was driving down the road and went to pass a car on a 2 lane road & she floored it. when she got around the car and tried to slow down, "THE CAR KEPT GOIN" she ran right into the back of a 09 caddy . she told me that she called the dealership right away, to let them know that she had 1 of them self acceleration problems LMAO! they told her to take it up with corporate
Old 02-10-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

You check her floormat? :O
Old 02-10-2010, 11:19 PM
The House is Rockin'

nope, aint none of my bidness

Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by heavy chevy boy
nope, aint none of my bidness

haha good call
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Launching!

http://www.npr.org/news/specials/gmvstoyota/

DETROIT (AP) --Hourly wages for United Auto Workers laborers at General Motors Corp. factories actually are almost equal to those paid by Toyota Motor Corp. at its older U.S. factories, according to the companies. GM says the average UAW laborer makes $29.78 per hour, while Toyota says it pays about $30 per hour.

The difference is in benefits, with the unionized factories having far higher costs.

GM says its total hourly labor costs are now $69 including wages, pensions and health care for active workers, plus the pension and health care costs of more than 432,000 retirees and spouses. Toyota says its total costs are around $48. The Japanese automaker has far fewer retirees and its pension and health care benefits are not as rich as those paid to UAW workers.

The UAW has not been able to organize workers at a Toyota plant in this country; it does represent workers at one joint GM-Toyota plant in Fremont, Calif.
http://www.manufacturing.net/News-GM...-Benefits.aspx
Old 02-11-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jim1450
You are clueless, I assume from where you live & the wording of your post you work @ a dealer not for Toyota. I interviewed @ the KY plant right after 9-11 & their hourly rate for skilled trades was more than Ford paid. I make over $100k a year because I work every hour of ot offered to me not because I make more money/hour.
Toyota is the leader in global sales because they sell in all the countries that hate Americans. Have you ever seen videos of terrorists like Al-Qaeda & the Taliban driving a Silverado?
Kiss my UAW a** fool!
Yes, they drive Japanese manufactured Toyota hilux trucks. Someone has to keep those guys on the Japanese assembly lines employed.

very true. i hate the damn rav hahaha and +1 to the truck stuff
The whole RAV4 was one big quality escape. With mine being a 100% Japanese built vehicle they really can't claim it's an American supplier issue. The crazy thing is it has great resale value and I'll be able to afford a 2 year old HHR when I sell it. Thank you Consumer Report and the brain dead Toyota consumers!

Last edited by TT632; 02-11-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal