Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 03:10 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ

wow lol i am laughing at this.. haha have u seen the new trucks yukons burbans? the interiors are all the same.. hell the new tundra adopted the "style" and became a larger truck because the old wasnt cutting it in the truck market.. for the money i think every manufacture could do better... BUT GOVERMENT MOTORS is now backed BY THE GOVERMENT... in which still has now money.. so guess what they are still broke and toyota even with this recall isnt... they can still sustain busniess and carry on with normal every day situations..... now GM... tanked why money grubbing ******... and also because people STOPED BUYING THERE PRODUCTS....... and bought over sea's models... wonder why all the american auto manufactures got hurt the most... because the more dependiable cars are boated in or "desighend" in a over sea's country... hell toyota sold there hybrid rights to GM and FORD and there hybrids SUCK *** cause they were put in a POS platform... yes i wanna spend 60k on a hybrid yukon/suburban and get 2mpg better... but its good for the enviroment... **** THAT

its ok UR UAW great want a cookie.. thats fine... but TOYOTA isnt taking ANYTHING away from americans.. they moved production plants here to help with jobs... and GUESS WHAT **** started going down hill.... why probably because alot of americans today are ****** lazy and feel **** is owed to them... its friday i have a hang over.. i dont wanna be hear i am not really gonna tighten anything up on this car....i am gonna be a lazy **** and still make the same amount i would if i did my job... go get a job at a dealership and find out if u can hang... HELL I CAN HANG THE SAME FENDE ALLLLLLLLLLL DAY and get really good.... but guess who fixes yalls **** ups...... ME.... and yall **** up alot...
wtf was that?!

American automakers suffered because everyone drank the "domestic sucks, imports are better" kool-aid. Yeah, the 80's sucked for domestic cars, but times have changed and quality has vastly improved. It's not like you can go out and buy a cell phone that is any better than one that came with a back pack in the 80's.

You SHOULD get rid of your GM vehicles so someone who appreciates them can own them. That way you could live at the dealership, fixing the most dependable cars ever, all day and night.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
I was much more impressed with the new Buick LaCrosse. Holy **** is that a nice car to be in. It was much better than the Lexus, and at half the price, holy **** what a deal. I was thoroughly impressed with the LaCrosse (not so much with the Enclave, back seats sucked) and the CTS was even better. I feel bad for anyone stupid enough to say that Toyota and Lexus are better in any way (let alone every way) than Buick and Cadillac.

but TOYOTA isnt taking ANYTHING away from americans..
Wait, in one paragraph you state how Toyota hasn't taken anything away from Americans and then in another paragraph you write this:
wonder why all the american auto manufactures got hurt the most... because the more dependiable cars are boated in or "desighend" in a over sea's country...
Regardless of the reasons, one can CLEARLY draw a direct correlation between a loss (and yes, also a small increase) of jobs in America and Toyota. People bought less cars from GM/Ford/Chrysler (who once employed MILLIONS of Americans) and bought more Toyotas (who employ merely a few thousand Americans) instead.

they moved production plants here to help with jobs...
Oooh, that's why they did it, they moved here ONLY to help Americans, out of the goodness/kindness of their hearts?
Hmm, and here I thought it was to 1) avoid various import taxes/tariffs 2) save shipping costs and 3) sell more vehicles at higher profit margin, how silly of me.
No offense but neither Toyota nor Japan in general could give two ***** about America or Americans, other than whether we buy their products or not.

Originally Posted by justin455
You SHOULD get rid of your GM vehicles so someone who appreciates them can own them. That way you could live at the dealership, fixing the most dependable cars ever, all day and night.
It's quite ironic how the same guys who are constantly bragging about how they have such secure and steady employment fixing/servicing Toyotas are also the very same ones bragging about how flawless those cars are in the areas of quality and workmanship LOL.
Hmm, but if those cars were really that perfect then THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR SO MANY OF YOU AT THE DEALERSHIP.
Once again, ya just can't have it both ways.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:26 AM
TECH Regular

I'm only concerned about the life threatening ones. Most of those GM and Ford recalls are simple and inane, and don't add up to much. It just shows me not that Toyota has only 600 recalls. But that Toyota only allowed that many.

I would take their numbers with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Ke^in; 02-14-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jim1450
You want to blame the people putting the car together?

This applies to Toyotas screw ups also, the workers dont design the vehicle or the manufacturing process the engineers do that along with the product testing & setting upthe needed quality checks.

Not like anyone can blame the people that made the throttle components, its Toyota's world leading engineering.

Oh & keep crying about the loan, it will be paid back soon. GM & its employees paid the loan amount many times over in federal taxes to help keep funds in the federal checking account to help you have the life you have in the country you live in.

Sorry once again I am wrong, they didnt deserve it & should have closed all US plants & focused on the Chinese market.
EXACTLY.
Once again it comes back to the all too important tax dollars that a fully employed population generates.
Simply put, if one car company employs fewer Americans than another one does than the one that employs fewer ALSO generates fewer income tax dollars for the government of the location where they are located to operate properly. This is especially true if that same company has manipulated the corporate tax system by finding loopholes in the system in order to avoid providing the fair share of taxes on their vast profits as well.
It is not a 1:1 ratio in that when one GM/Ford/Chrysler employee gets laid off that another is now hired at Toyota/Honda/Nissan etc. Their ultra efficient production standards and intense use of robotics clearly dictate that.

You cannot maintain a strong military, infrastructure and solid educational system if there are fewer tax dollars flowing in, this is just basic math.
People need to think about all of that the next time they feel the need to complain about the government loaning (it is a loan, not a gift) money to keep it's own citizens employed. Give the loan and keep them working or not give the loan and ultimately pay substantially more in unemployment and welfare benefits...in other words 'pay me now, or pay me later'. At least this way there is at least a chance that these companies (and the HUGE potential tax base that they can generate) can survive.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:34 AM
***Repost Police***

So what were Monte Carlos & Impalas?

The 90s Monte Carlos were ridiculously mediocre cars built off of the even more mediocre Lumina platform. And other than '95-'96, there was nothing special about the Impalas. And even the mid 90s Impala SS wasn't really all that special.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Not for track use maybe not, but for daily driving it was pretty beefy.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The 90s Monte Carlos were ridiculously mediocre cars built off of the even more mediocre Lumina platform. And other than '95-'96, there was nothing special about the Impalas. And even the mid 90s Impala SS wasn't really all that special.
I think you mean '94-'96? The big Impala SS was actually made for 3 model years in case you weren't sure.
And yes many might agree, even that extremely cool car wasn't really all that special as it was quite large and heavy. But at the time, producing such a roomy full size family car than can also run 14 second 1/4 mile times all while looking quite menacing with it's all black (or later on dark cherry or green grey) paint, wide tires and super low stance was somewhat radical thinking for a large car company.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:40 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, but it was still just another Caprice deep down inside. Not all that different than the cop cars every department had. So I stand by my statement that the big 3's offerings in the 90s weren't exactly stellar either.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i guess the must be i mean toyota must be a peice of **** cause they got under 600... and for being the worlds leading auto manufacture and only having under 600 recalls they really must suck... i mean hell ford/chevy/dodge cant sell **** and they had like 10 times the amount of recalls... now to me who has a better product?
Maybe they have more recalls because they don't have to be legally forced to recall their vehicles?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Yeah, but it was still just another Caprice deep down inside. Not all that different than the cop cars every department had. So I stand by my statement that the big 3's offerings in the 90s weren't exactly stellar either.
Yeah guy's, they're just rebadged regular cars with beefed up everything. Doesn't even come close to a Corolla S

Last edited by justin455; 02-14-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: thought i could spell, i guess not that well
Old 02-14-2010, 05:55 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah guy's, they're just rebadged regular cars with beefed up everything. Doesn't even come close to a Corolla S
Never said the Corolla was any better. But can you tell me what made the Impala any better than the 9C1 Caprices?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Never said the Corolla was any better. But can you tell me what made the Impala any better than the 9C1 Caprices?
Leather?! General public could buy one new, not 3 years and 80,000 miles later? This thread is about Toyota, not the Impala. Beside the fact that if you don't understand why the Impala SS was something to get excited about in 1995 then you sir, should buy a prius and live the rest of your automotive days in destitute.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:17 PM
***Repost Police***

Leather?! General public could buy one new, not 3 years and 80,000 miles later? This thread is about Toyota, not the Impala. Beside the fact that if you don't understand why the Impala SS was something to get excited about in 1995 then you sir, should buy a prius and live the rest of your automotive days in destitute.
This thread might be about Toyota, but I am specifically talking about how the 90s domestic offerings weren't any more interesting than the 90s Japanese offerings. I am not trying to say one was more exciting than the other. And I am perfectly able to understand what was special about the Impala SS as it relates to the rest of GM's lineup in the mid 90s. But it really does not interest me, because of it's massive bulk and the fact that it was only available with the 4L60-E. Not a fan, but I can appreciate it. Which is something that a few of you could use a lesson in. You don't have to necessarily want to buy something to appreciate what it is.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

But can you tell me what made the Impala any better than the 9C1 Caprices?
Wider (and alloy) wheels and tires, lowered stiffer suspension that helped make it handle SUBSTANTIALLY better, nicer interior and in it's final year it even had a floor/console shifter and analog gauges where as the Caprice didn't.
Other than that, no, there certainly weren't huge vast differences between the base cars and the SSs but it sure was a hell of a lot more than anyone else was offering in that price range at that time.

Also of note (as so many are often so quick to point out the depreciation associated with some domestic nameplate vehicles), the Impala SSs (not unlike the Regal Grand Nationals and T-types) held their value extremely well for many many years after production ceased.
I recall used ones selling for even more than they did when new during the late '90s/early '00s.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

This thread might be about Toyota, but I am specifically talking about how the 90s domestic offerings weren't any more interesting than the 90s Japanese offerings. I am not trying to say one was more exciting than the other. And I am perfectly able to understand what was special about the Impala SS as it relates to the rest of GM's lineup in the mid 90s. But it really does not interest me, because of it's massive bulk and the fact that it was only available with the 4L60-E. Not a fan, but I can appreciate it. Which is something that a few of you could use a lesson in. You don't have to necessarily want to buy something to appreciate what it is.
I see your point. I appreciate Toyota for supplying cars to all the people who need to drive a car to get around, but don't care too much more about it.

The point of this thread, however; is that Toyota is not the end all, be all automaker they are made out to be. They have problems just like everyone else, and now that the spotlight is on them, instead of GM, the problems and cover ups are showing.
People have preconceived notions about domestic cars anymore. Notions based on experiences from the dark ages of domestic ownership. (I serve on the side and got into a discussion just like this with a table. He had sworn against domestic cars since spending 30k on a Cadillac 8-6-4...seriously, i feel your pain, but technology advances buddy.)
What's happening now is exactly what happened 20 years ago, only flip flopped. The Imports have been "untouchable" for awhile, so while they relax and enjoy the view on top, the domestic automakers are making a comeback. Domestic offerings are just as good, if not better than comparable import offerings and this is a great thing for consumers.
While Toyota was caught with their pants down, GM and Ford have been getting great recognition for finally fixing a lot of issues. From now on we should be in the midst of a "Quality War".
However, until Toyota can make a car that will be anything but a sedative to me, I will be just fine driving my GM automobiles...they feel like home when I get in, always have.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 PM
***Repost Police***

I agree and definitely agree that the domestic manufacturer's are all-but caught up now, but I don't necessarily agree that it is a repeat of 30 years ago. There is no great migration from import to domestic manufacturers, and there really is no reason for one. Honda/Nissan/Mazda still have a relatively-large market share, and that doesnt' look to be going away anytime soon.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

I agree and definitely agree that the domestic manufacturer's are all-but caught up now, but I don't necessarily agree that it is a repeat of 30 years ago. There is no great migration from import to domestic manufacturers, and there really is no reason for one. Honda/Nissan/Mazda still have a relatively-large market share, and that doesnt' look to be going away anytime soon.
That is what I meant by a "Quality War". People are looking closely and there are cracks in the import armor. No they won't go anywhere, but public opinions are sure to change to at least more optimism concerning domestics. Everyone will be stepping up their game in light of the last 2-3 years.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:47 PM
***Repost Police***

And I can do nothing but hope you are right. I do not "support" Japanese brands, but I do hold domestic manufacturers accountable for their previous indiscretions. Which they have paid for. I would like nothing better than for the American manufacturers to take the top seeds in the automotive wars, but I won't support them just because they are American. They have to earn it.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

And I can do nothing but hope you are right. I do not "support" Japanese brands, but I do hold domestic manufacturers accountable for their previous indiscretions. Which they have paid for. I would like nothing better than for the American manufacturers to take the top seeds in the automotive wars, but I won't support them just because they are American. They have to earn it.

man this guy is smart...

P.S. you do know ford recalled cars that are equiped with this same pedal... so to who ever said it was toyota's fault for designing the pedal... why did ford recall there cars with a pedal made from the same company??????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? toyota didnt design the pedal they told a company what they needed it to do and told them to build it.. and guess what they fucked up for not only 1 company but 2... hell how many other cars have this pedal?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

man this guy is smart...

P.S. you do know ford recalled cars that are equiped with this same pedal... so to who ever said it was toyota's fault for designing the pedal... why did ford recall there cars with a pedal made from the same company??????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? toyota didnt design the pedal they told a company what they needed it to do and told them to build it.. and guess what they fucked up for not only 1 company but 2... hell how many other cars have this pedal?
Have not heard this, any links? FYI, chill on the "?'s"...it's hard to take someone serious when they type like that.

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal