Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 04:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Maybe they have more recalls because they don't have to be legally forced to recall their vehicles?
BING BING BING. If you didn't notice, the US gov had to FORCE them to do a recall on this one. If they are being FORCED to do this recall, what others have they ignored? I can have a low recall number too if I ignore flaws.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by justin455
That is what I meant by a "Quality War". People are looking closely and there are cracks in the import armor. No they won't go anywhere, but public opinions are sure to change to at least more optimism concerning domestics. Everyone will be stepping up their game in light of the last 2-3 years.
I know 2 people in my office alone that were "import only" snobs. Especially toyotas. One has a celica and the other a tacoma. 2 years ago both bought Fords (sorry..) because they wanted to try something different, and didn't have as much dough on hand. Now they aren't so big of import fanboys. They talk about how now domestic car makers are "finally getting it" The thing is, It's been this way for a good 10 years or more. They've just been in import lala land to notice.

It's all on how you take care of your car. Usually the more you pay, the better it will be taken care of.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:09 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Ke^in
I know 2 people in my office alone that were "import only" snobs. Especially toyotas. One has a celica and the other a tacoma. 2 years ago both bought Fords (sorry..) because they wanted to try something different, and didn't have as much dough on hand. Now they aren't so big of import fanboys. They talk about how now domestic car makers are "finally getting it" The thing is, It's been this way for a good 10 years or more. They've just been in import lala land to notice.

It's all on how you take care of your car. Usually the more you pay, the better it will be taken care of.
False. Take a look inside a 2000 Taurus/Malibu/Grand Am/Cavalier, and then a 2000 Accord/Camry/Altima/Civic and say the same thing. I'd say the last 2-3 years is when the gap closed.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
False. Take a look inside a 2000 Taurus/Malibu/Grand Am/Cavalier, and then a 2000 Accord/Camry/Altima/Civic and say the same thing. I'd say the last 2-3 years is when the gap closed.
so true. I was between a Corolla and a G5... Since pontiac went under I got the G5 crazy cheap. I loved the Pontiac line up because it finally compared to the style and integrity of other cars. In the late 90s early 2000s i was not impressed by the cavaqueer, etc.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jim1450
You really believe that?
What about all those years with NUMMI?
If they organized Georgetown I dont think there would be real big changes, pay & benefits are good which is usually the hardest thing to settle.

How about those Tacoma & Prius reacalls?
Yes I believe it, I was there. NUMMI is different, that is a joint venture with GM where both companies benefit. My stepdad still knows 90% of management there, and Toyota did threaten to pull out if UAW talks continued.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.toyota.com/recall/videos/...ommercial.html

Toyota admitted their quality has fallen off what it used to be, end of discussion.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThoR294
so true. I was between a Corolla and a G5... Since pontiac went under I got the G5 crazy cheap. I loved the Pontiac line up because it finally compared to the style and integrity of other cars. In the late 90s early 2000s i was not impressed by the cavaqueer, etc.
You realize the Cobalt/G5 have been around since 2004? So it's a 6 year old car.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:55 PM
***Repost Police***

I still wouldn't put it at the top of its class though... and the side-impact crash test ratings still suck, just like they did with the Cavalier.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still wouldn't put it at the top of its class though... and the side-impact crash test ratings still suck, just like they did with the Cavalier.
I'm not the one one making that argument, I agree with the magazine's who said the Cobalt was GM bringing a knife to a gun fight. Just wanted to make the person above aware he chose a 6 year old car.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kain01
http://www.toyota.com/recall/videos/...ommercial.html

Toyota admitted their quality has fallen off what it used to be, end of discussion.
True.

And say what you will about the Cobalt but I have a friend who bought a base model 5 speed with A/C in 2005 for commuting (over 100 miles round trip every day, 5 or 6 days a week) and in over 110k all he did was change the oil a few times.
Original tires (replaced at 107k), original brakes, original clutch, accessories etc. etc. all still going strong.
Over 40mpg on the highway.
He paid under $12k for it brand new.

A great car in every way? Not really.
Awesome cheap reliable transportation? Absolutely.

I'm not the one one making that argument, I agree with the magazine's who said the Cobalt was GM bringing a knife to a gun fight.
That may be true...but knives are also a lot cheaper to buy than guns are.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True.

And say what you will about the Cobalt but I have a friend who bought a base model 5 speed with A/C in 2005 for commuting (over 100 miles round trip every day, 5 or 6 days a week) and in over 110k all he did was change the oil a few times.
Original tires (replaced at 107k), original brakes, original clutch, accessories etc. etc. all still going strong.
Over 40mpg on the highway.
He paid under $12k for it brand new.

A great car in every way? Not really.
Awesome cheap reliable transportation? Absolutely.
That's what every Chevrolet I have ever owned has been, and I have had several over 200k with nothing but oil changes.

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
That may be true...but knives are also a lot cheaper to buy than guns are.
Yeah I'll take my XD over my gerber any day of the week thank you.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Yeah I'll take my XD over my gerber any day of the week thank you.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not the one one making that argument, I agree with the magazine's who said the Cobalt was GM bringing a knife to a gun fight. Just wanted to make the person above aware he chose a 6 year old car.
cobalt still looks better than a cavaqueer. I hated the sunfire and cavalir. with a passion
Old 02-16-2010, 04:35 AM
TECH Regular

I am talking about engine quality and usability. Not whether or not one has leather dash and the other does not.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:37 AM
TECH Regular

cobalt still looks better than a cavaqueer.
They look about the same. The cobalt having a more older Civic look to it.. And I find it hard to take seriously someone calling it a "cavaqueer"
Old 02-16-2010, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

Talking

And I find it hard to take seriously someone calling it a "cavaqueer"
I agree, that's almost as bad someone using things like this " ????????????????????? " when they post.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

That too. I almost bought a 99 Z24 Cav once. Bought a 99 Neon R/T instead. More bang for the buck, and I liked driving the R/T better. That was such a fun little economy grocery getter. But I still liked the Z24. It was silver with red and black accents. Dead sexy.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people love them. I hate them, they are so damn small, light, and the 4wd fails so hard on them. lol
I don't get it. It was not an inexpensive vehicle. I borrowed a co-workers HHR and it is very good by comparison. The last toyota I had that was as bad as this Rav was my 4 cyl 4x4 Tacoma..rattled, shook and tossed off parts. Resale value was great though...Thanks Consumer reports.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 AM
***Repost Police***

I am talking about engine quality and usability. Not whether or not one has leather dash and the other does not.
Nobody is talking about which one is more luxuriously-appointed, but a car is more than an engine. Cavaliers were absolutely wretched on the inside, and while Cobalts are definitely better they still aren't on par yet IMO. And then of course the safety thing, which is a big deal to many people that buy cars in that class.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Nobody is talking about which one is more luxuriously-appointed, but a car is more than an engine.
Of course it is. But I don't think when referring to economy cars, the interior meaning all that much. People don't buy economy cars for their luxuries. That's like looking for an "elegant" trash can.
Cavaliers were absolutely wretched on the inside
And they were.. economy cars.
And then of course the safety thing, which is a big deal to many people that buy cars in that class.
Cobalts aren't safe?
Originally Posted by TT632
The last toyota I had that was as bad as this Rav was my 4 cyl 4x4 Tacoma..rattled, shook and tossed off parts.
Remember, a car is more than an engine

Last edited by Ke^in; 02-16-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal