Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ThoR294
do you understand english?
Yes.
Do you?
Because if you did you would understand when someone points out that your excuse (and yes that's all it is, an excuse) might apply to two or three (heck even if it's ten) cases but certainly not all of them.
There are FAR MORE than just two, three or ten cases of this recorded otherwise it wouldn't be a freakin' multi million vehicle recall.
I'm familiar with the soft, pliable all weather rubber mats and I'm even familiar with the cheapie Walmart mats that some (key word, some) people might throw in their vehicles (during winter time only). But most average non car loving/car caring type citizens (like say, the average Toyota owner) would very likely just drag their dirty/snowy feet onto the standard factory mat so your theory holds little (if any) water, no pun intended.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:51 AM
10 Second Club

Default But wait, there's more?!

Toyota reportedly to add 1 million cars to recall
12:33a ET January 28, 2010 (MarketWatch)

TOKYO (MarketWatch) -- TOYOTA MOTOR CORP. expanded its recall to another one million vehicles to replace floor mats that risk trapping accelerator pedals and causing sudden acceleration, the Detroit Free Press reported on its Web site Wednesday, citing a letter from Toyota to U.S. regulators.

The report came as the world's largest auto maker by sales volume scrambled to contain its massive recall and sales halt to some of its most popular models, and as its company's shares listed around the world shed their value.

Toyota's recall now includes the 2008 though 2010 Highlander, along with the 2009 and 2010 model year Corolla, Venza, Matrix and Pontiac Vibe.

Toyota already halted sales of the Highlander, Corolla and Matrix as part of the separate recall to fix sticking accelerator pedals, the report said.

Toyota recalled 4.3 million vehicles due to the floor-mat problem in October, after first issuing a safety advisory warning the previous month, following a fatal accident involving a Lexus.

Last week, Toyota recalled 2.3 million vehicles with possibly faulty accelerator pedals that risk sticking. On Tuesday, it said it would halt sales of eight models believed to be at risk. Read more on Toyota sales halt.

Separately, Toyota's North American unit said in a statement Wednesday that it's been working closely with supplier CTS Corp. on a "revised design" that remedies problems associated with accelerator pedals.

"Pedals featuring the revised design are now in full production at CTS to support Toyota's needs," the company said.

Gauging earnings impact

In afternoon trading in Tokyo, shares of Toyota were down 1.1 %, while the benchmark Nikkei Stock Average -- of which it is a component -- was up 2.0%.

"The earnings impact of the sales suspension is hard to gauge, as the actual duration of the suspension is unknown at this time," Tokyo-based analysts at Goldman Sachs wrote in a note to clients early Thursday.

Toyota is scheduled to report its latest quarterly results on Feb. 4. It is expected to post third-quarter net income of 135 billion yen and operating profit of 150 billion yen on net revenue of 5.2 trillion yen, according to mean estimates of brokers surveyed by Thomson Reuters.

For the same quarter a year ago, Toyota reported a net loss of 164.6 billion yen and operating loss of 360.6 billion yen on net revenue of 4.8 trillion yen. For the fiscal year 2010, Toyota forecasts an operating loss of 350 billion yen and net revenue of 18 trillion yen.

"We see this having a limited negative impact near-term, given past cases of Toyota using recalls as an opportunity to forge closer customer relationships and enhance customer satisfaction," the Goldman Sachs analysts said.

They maintained their buy rating on Toyota, but added that additional recall costs in the future "cannot be ruled out."

On Wednesday, Toyota's stock fell nearly 9% on the New York Stock Exchange, wiping out about $13 billion in market capitalization. Read MarketWatch First Take on Toyota.

Ford's offer

But the greatest damage to Toyota could be the long-term effect on its credibility and brand rather than the short-term impact on its balance sheet.

Ford Motor Co. said it will offer new customers $1,000 cash to trade-in used or leased vehicles from Toyota, The Wall Street Journal reported on its Web site Thursday.

"We have launched offers in the marketplace encouraging owners of other brands to visit Ford showrooms and drive one of our high-quality, fuel-efficient vehicles," Ford spokesman Mark Truby was quoted as saying in a statement Wednesday night.

The offer applies to those people who turn in a vehicle from Toyota, its Lexus luxury brand, or its Scion brand, as well as Honda and its Acura products.

The incentive is only applicable to the model-years 1995 through 2010, the report said.

Ford's offer excludes its gas-electric hybrid models, its Edge SUV all-wheel drive, its F-150 Raptor pick-up truck, its new Taurus SE sedan and its Shelby GT500 and KR sports cars, the newspaper said.

Japanese auto makers NISSAN MOTOR Co. and HONDA MOTOR Co. reportedly said Thursday they won't launch marketing campaigns aimed at luring away Toyota customers, Dow Jones reported.

A separate Wall Street Journal report said Toyota is pulling its national "Portfolio" campaign that promotes its cars' "dependability," "safety" and "reliability," according to Erin Poole, a spokeswoman for Publicis Groupe's Saatchi & Saatchi LA, one of the ad firms responsible for the auto maker's advertising.

Toyota also has hired Robinson Leer & Montgomery, a public relations outfit, to handle the crisis, the report said, citing a person familiar with the matter.

Meanwhile, U.S. car rental companies Avis Budget Group Inc. and Hertz Global Holdings both said Wednesday they will stop renting Toyota vehicles affected by the sales halt.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:10 AM
***Repost Police***

Yes, but why have two sets of floormats?
Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well at least they recalled the damn things instead of ignoring the problem like they did with the engine sludge of the 4runner's and corolla's they sold all through the 90's and early 2000's. I mean if you look at their track record for ignoring recall problem's you'd probably never own one.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:07 AM
TECH Regular

I'd never buy a Toyota. Even before this mess.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It just keeps getting better and better
Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BanditTA
It just keeps getting better and better
Yep. See you here next week most likely.. ALL DAY.... ALL WEEK

Thanks Toyota
Old 01-28-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kain01
Well at least they recalled the damn things instead of ignoring the problem like they did with the engine sludge of the 4runner's and corolla's they sold all through the 90's and early 2000's. I mean if you look at their track record for ignoring recall problem's you'd probably never own one.
The Japanese auto companies have always been big on hidden recalls when they have to. It's worked well for them until now when the issue is so large they get caught with their pants down while trying to dodge the issue with multi/wrong floormats excuses and zip tie fixes. Its part of their "losing face" philosophy.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:09 AM

Buy American!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyDealer1
Buy American!!!
X2
Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't see the reason to stack floor mats. They are there for a reason... to protect the CARPET. might as well have nothing. its stupid, youre stupid for stacking mats. end of story.

also, sludgers. Ah the sludge motors. learn2oilchange
Old 01-28-2010, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ke^in
I'd never buy a Toyota. Even before this mess.
Same here.

Originally Posted by TT632
The Japanese auto companies have always been big on hidden recalls when they have to. It's worked well for them until now when the issue is so large they get caught with their pants down while trying to dodge the issue with multi/wrong floormats excuses and zip tie fixes. Its part of their "losing face" philosophy.
And that's important to note because so much (but not all) of that "perceived quality" and supposedly good reputation has come from those very same 'brushed under the rug/avoid the media coverage' type strategies.
But as it turns out, much of what the general public thought was a superior car was very possibly just a superior dodging of the truth.

Originally Posted by pat-ls101
X2
Old 01-28-2010, 04:15 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
And that's important to note because so much (but not all) of that "perceived quality" and supposedly good reputation has come from those very same 'brushed under the rug/avoid the media coverage' type strategies.
But as it turns out, much of what the general public thought was a superior car was very possibly just a superior dodging of the truth.

Remember, there are millions of people that DID/DO own the cars that have hardly any problems.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Remember, there are millions of people that DID/DO own the cars that have hardly any problems.
True.
And that also applies to the millions of people that did/do own GM, Ford and Chrysler products as well of course.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:21 PM
***Repost Police***

All I'm saying is that you can't really argue that at one point the foreign manufacturers earned their reputation. Which also happened to be around the same time that the domestic manufacturers tarnished theirs. It wasn't all a big conspiracy created by the media. And the coming back to common ground is, for the most part, fairly recent.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Media is blowing it up as usual... Lets not forget Fords cruise controls catching on fire... their failure of having correct tire pressures for explorers... etc.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

My 08 Double Cab Tundra TRD (Motortrends Truck of the year) is the nicest thing my *** has ever sat on. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
My grandfather has had 2 sets of floormats in every car he's had (198x Buick, 199x Mercury, 2007 Buick) and none of them have ever had any problems with the gas pedal. In my Saturn, I would have to have floormats stacked 4 inches high for them to touch the gas pedal. Same thing with my mom's Suburban and my dad's Mustang. Plain and simple, this is poor design and even poorer handling of the situation on Toyota's part.
well all i have to say to this comment is ur an idiot.. why on gods green earth would u stack 4 sets of floor mats in a car and drive it ... just cause it didnt touch the pedal... and why the **** is it toyotas obligation and poor design to build a car to hold 1..... 1 ****** floor mat.... so how many floor mats does your f-body have.. why not go put 4 sets in it.. hell my pedal has gotten caught by my stock *** floor mat cause i have a cage in it and it moves the mat under the pedal.. your an idiot for doing that and "blaming" toyota for poor design on the floor pan of a car for your own stupidity...

and BTW ford has recalled a mini van built in china for using the same CTS pedal....... mark my words.... more companys will be soooooon to follow.. its not toyota's fault in this situation its CTS.... you should visit there web site.... there looking for a Quality control manager... no ****.. like for real haha so stop bashing toyota.. they will out live anything TRUST ME
Old 01-29-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ
and BTW ford has recalled a mini van built in china for using the same CTS pedal....... mark my words.... more companys will be soooooon to follow.. its not toyota's fault in this situation its CTS.... you should visit there web site.... there looking for a Quality control manager... no ****.. like for real haha so stop bashing toyota.. they will out live anything TRUST ME
How do you figure it's not Yotas fault, it is a design flaw. I'm an engineer by profession, if i design a part and it fails it is my fault, not the supplier/contractor. Toyota designed a faulty part, it failed, it is now their responsibility to fix it, not the guy that built it 100% to spec.

What exactly does this mean "Separately, Toyota's North American unit said in a statement Wednesday that it's been working closely with supplier CTS Corp. on a "revised design" that remedies problems associated with accelerator pedals." REVISED DESIGN, they screwed up, period. Be it wrong choice of materials, wrong geometry, induced loads they didn't plan on, etc. CTS corp. isn't to blame. This is just like the ford explorer tire issue, Firestone wasn't to blame, they built the tires to Fords specs and Ford labeled dictated what pressure should be run. It was not Firestones fault that ford screwed up.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BanditTA
How do you figure it's not Yotas fault, it is a design flaw. I'm an engineer by profession, if i design a part and it fails it is my fault, not the supplier/contractor. Toyota designed a faulty part, it failed, it is now their responsibility to fix it, not the guy that built it 100% to spec.

What exactly does this mean "Separately, Toyota's North American unit said in a statement Wednesday that it's been working closely with supplier CTS Corp. on a "revised design" that remedies problems associated with accelerator pedals." REVISED DESIGN, they screwed up, period. Be it wrong choice of materials, wrong geometry, induced loads they didn't plan on, etc. CTS corp. isn't to blame. This is just like the ford explorer tire issue, Firestone wasn't to blame, they built the tires to Fords specs and Ford labeled dictated what pressure should be run. It was not Firestones fault that ford screwed up.
Very intelligent post. Question is how many jobs did this screw up affect.

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal