Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everybody does realize that this recall has nothing to do with the floor mats? That was a feeble attempt on Toyota's part to call their buyer's idiot's. The problem is that the computer tells the car the accelerator is jammed down when in fact it isn't. Or some variation of this, but it's nothing to do with the floor mats.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kain01
Everybody does realize that this recall has nothing to do with the floor mats? That was a feeble attempt on Toyota's part to call their buyer's idiot's. The problem is that the computer tells the car the accelerator is jammed down when in fact it isn't. Or some variation of this, but it's nothing to do with the floor mats.
lol no there WAS in issue with the floor mats which is why the All weather mats were recalled and redesigned (north american and japan built cars).. then later on they also found out the pedals made by CTS had an issue.... you should google fords recall of the cts pedal befor you blame toyota.. ford makes a van in china thats fly by wire also.. and they have been recalled and production stopped on them as well...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11001292...lts-production

still think its toyotas fault for CTS selling a defective product.. if DENSO can build the pedal with out any issue to the same specs as a CTS pedal then tell me what the **** happened? just saying... if both companys have the same specs.. why does one fail? enlighten me please....
Old 01-30-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. The Denso pedals are fine. CTS fails. FLOORMATS ARE AN ISSUE. THEY STILL ARE. like i said, I HAVE HAD the pedeal get caught BECAUSE OF IDIOTS STACKING FLOORMATS. I have the toyota all weather mats in my moms 09 camry... AND IF YOU INSTALL THEM PROPERLY THERE IS NO ISSUE
Old 01-30-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T1
Originally Posted by Article: Toyota president 'sorry to have made customers uneasy'
"We're extremely sorry to have made customers uneasy," he told Japanese news agency NHK. "We plan to establish the facts and give an explanation that will take away the customers' concern as soon as possible."

Just the way the president words that makes it seem crooked to me. He doesn't actually say they are going to fix the problem or make sure it will never happen again. They are just going to not make it look like a concern anymore. I am sure in a couple of months they will look so sweaky clean. Because here in America we treat Americans like **** and glorify people of other countries way too much.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Floor mats can make a pedal stick in ANY car, so this isn't worth talking about. "Floormats" was a PR move by Toyota before they were forced into a recall due to defective parts.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Floor mats can make a pedal stick in ANY car, so this isn't worth talking about. "Floormats" was a PR move by Toyota before they were forced into a recall due to defective parts.
it was still an issue that needed to be addressed for retards that stack floormats. I see that a lot in toyotas. Like I said, that will narrow down the defective pedals if everyone learns to use floormats
Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the floor mat fix were the zip ties, not a reconstructing of the floor mat if I recall the news story correctly, which means that it was a PR move to not have to recall the cars.

If the CTS pedal is faulty then it's still Toyota's fault for either A)not properly installing the pedal, or B)not running the car through enough paces to find an issue with the pedal and wholeheartedly trusting the manufacturer of this technology. At the end of the day the blame will be placed squarely on Toyota for this problem because the only CTS that 99.9% of the world are aware of, is made by GM.

I will continue to blame Toyota for this issue and you will probably bash me again (which is odd to me on a forum dedicated to GM products), and I'll begin ignoring you as of now since your obviously drinking the T kool aid jumping to their defense.

Oh and in case you didn't know how little Toyota execs care about this issue they are still selling these vehicle's everywhere except here in the U.S. Our government stopped them, and imho did the right thing in doing so.

Last edited by kain01; 01-30-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lmao, found this after a few minutes of looking up the CTS thing. Seems they are pointing the blame squarely on Toyota. Lol, when in doubt blame someone else, worked for Toyota, might as well work for CTS.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...073,full.story
Old 01-30-2010, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

I will continue to blame Toyota for this issue and you will probably bash me again (which is odd to me on a forum dedicated to GM products)
It's quite odd to me as well considering that the guy drives two Pontiacs and even claims "Pontiac Forever" in his sig.
Maybe he'd be happier in a Camry?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
It's quite odd to me as well considering that the guy drives a Chevrolet and a Pontiac.
Maybe he'd be happier in a Toyota?

I love how everyone just think Toyotas are **** boxes. Every manufacturer has had some sort of major recall with issues. the thing with the toyota one is that there are defective pedals, but there are also people stacking floormats that are giving the same issue as the "sticking" gas pedals. I love my american cars. Toyotas are not bad cars. thats all. go ahead ignore me I dont give a **** its a forum for a reason. if you don't want to listen to other peoples information/input then get the **** out
Old 01-30-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

lmao, found this after a few minutes of looking up the CTS thing. Seems they are pointing the blame squarely on Toyota. Lol, when in doubt blame someone else, worked for Toyota, might as well work for CTS.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...073,full.story
just like ford pointing the finger at firestone for bad tires when ford had the explorer tire psi to 26psi in a truck? everyone tries to point the finger.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, if the issue is the bad pedals, explain why vehicles without the CTS pedals have the same problem. Read the article. Toyotas have been doing this since 1999. CTS didn't make pedals for Toyota until 2005. Also, only 1 out of 11 cases reported to the NHTSA involving stuck pedals was on a car included in the recall. The CTS pedals are clearly not the problem. Granted that's a small sample size, but if we were to extrapolate that, less than 10% of the truly affected cars are being recalled. That is appalling. Any way you slice this, it's bad design on Toyota's part.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

the problem is there are so many different stories from so many different sources. I am the kind of guy that Ill believe it when I see it. The guy that came to the dealer with his Avalon that had the pedal apparently stuck. None of the techs saw him come and when we went out to the car everything was fine and one of the master techs drove it up and down 78 home for a few days... could not duplicate. CTS pedal also
Old 01-30-2010, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE TOYOTA THAT WAS FLY BY WIRE UNTILL 02-03... every car toyota made was cable operated.. the only "pedal sticking issue" with cars bad then was CARBON BUILD UP due to lack of mantaining a car... THEY NEVER STUCK WIDE OPEN untill cts started building the american made cars pedals.. i know i have worked for toyota for almost 10 years now as a mechanic... the problem didnt arise till the cars were made in the us.. all the JAPAN cars dont have issues..

i drive 2 gm products an nitrous fed 408 car and an 00 silverado....

i work for toyota because its SMART.. they are and still will be the leading auto manufacture in the world... so u know what that means MY JOB IS SAFE.. they pay great and the cars are simple to work on..... hell i would have been laid off had i worked for gm by now.... **** THAT..
Old 01-30-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ
THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE TOYOTA THAT WAS FLY BY WIRE UNTILL 02-03... every car toyota made was cable operated.. the only "pedal sticking issue" with cars bad then was CARBON BUILD UP due to lack of mantaining a car... THEY NEVER STUCK WIDE OPEN untill cts started building the american made cars pedals.. i know i have worked for toyota for almost 10 years now as a mechanic... the problem didnt arise till the cars were made in the us.. all the JAPAN cars dont have issues..

i drive 2 gm products an nitrous fed 408 car and an 00 silverado....

i work for toyota because its SMART.. they are and still will be the leading auto manufacture in the world... so u know what that means MY JOB IS SAFE.. they pay great and the cars are simple to work on..... hell i would have been laid off had i worked for gm by now.... **** THAT..

i agree that they lead the word in manufacturing practice and technique but certainly not innovation and dollars invested into R+D.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe this will clear it up...

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/24/l...safety-issues/
Class action law suit for oil sludge
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ettlement.html
frame rot tundra, which also affects Tacoma
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...ra-frame-rust/
Sienna Doors
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/24/t...recall-mind-y/

And my favorite the Toyota Special Service Campaign (spoken lets keep this quiet and not tell everyone)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...yota+special+s

Look everyone makes mistakes, but whenever something happens to a GM Vehicle it is because their stuff is crap and they designed it wrong.
Well guess what the shoe is on the other foot right now and it does not fit so good does it.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:07 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ
Fair enough, you like Toyota because they employ you and provide you with some sort of job security (for now, as long as there aren't too many more recalls/quality issues that is ).
But based on that line of thinking/logic, couldn't a former GM employee also dislike Toyota because until Toyota started selling vehicles in any significant numbers here (late '70s/early '80s) because they too had that same job security?
You're real quick to point out how you might've been layed off by now if you'd worked for GM but there was a time when GM employed more people in the U.S. alone than Toyota, Honda and Nissan did worldwide.
We can ponder who is really at fault and how/why that all changed so drastically but please don't forget the past and just how many AMERICAN tables that GM helped put food on from 1925 until today.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a couple of update's on this thing. If you're interested click the links.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/consumer/To...-83031697.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/30/t...air-component/

And finally two class action lawsuits have been filed against Toyota.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...30/463886.html

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/s...ta-740398.html

Of interest the lawyer claimed "We're concerned about the absence of a fail safe, and we know from our case in Michigan that floor mats are not the problem."

lol

So, good luck to the people who have lost family member's in this getting some form of compensation, and well Toyota, personally I've hated every vehicle of yours I've owned, so rot for all I care. Sorry if you work for them, nothing personal.

Last edited by kain01; 01-31-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

I dont see how you can hate every vehicle youve had thats a toyota. off topic but please enlighten me
Old 01-31-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ThoR294
I dont see how you can hate every vehicle youve had thats a toyota. off topic but please enlighten me
I've hated every Toyota I've ever driven, and i'm a valet, so that number is quite high. Where do I start? The interior comfort is average at best, materials scream cheap plastic, steering is vague and gives no feedback, acceleration doesn't exist, throttle, brakes, clutch, and gear lever have no feel, stereos suck, and they're so ugly that every time I see one I want to gouge my eyes out.

I don't imagine kain's reasons are much different.

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal