Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

and our interiors are any better? lol. steering really depends on you I guess. The electric power steering cars do have a very odd feel to them. all of your complaints are empty. gear lever has no feel? wtf its an automatic. what feel do you want
Old 01-31-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Toyota recall

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
How come Lexus isn't on this list???

I recently got a job with Toyota In Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA.

I actually work in the Lexus part of the Plant. The recall does not affect Lexus because they DO NOT use the same gas or brake pedal as TOYOTA line up.

As for TOYOTA goes, they do not actually make the mechanism (GAS PEDAL) that is being recalled, it is made by another company, for Toyota and other car companies (FORD).

TOYOTA DOES NOT MAKE THE MECHANISM.

* Toyota has stopped all sales at dealerships and stopped production at the plant until the problem is fixed.

*Anyone with any Questions can send me a message on here.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
and our interiors are any better? lol. steering really depends on you I guess. The electric power steering cars do have a very odd feel to them. all of your complaints are empty. gear lever has no feel? wtf its an automatic. what feel do you want
Obviously, the gear lever thing applies only to the manuals. Not saying F-body interiors are better, I'm not even saying my Saturn's interior is better. My interior sucks. I'll readily admit that. I just hate when people talk about Toyota's "superior interior quality" when most of the American cars in direct competition are either on par or better. If you want good interior materials, you're going to want to look somewhere that isn't Toyota.

And what exactly makes my complaints empty, pray tell? I pointed out what are legitimate quality concerns as a potential customer. The driver is completely secluded from what the car is doing. Nothing of any importance has any significant feel to it. I get more feedback from turning the volume **** than the steering wheel. I don't want the steering wheel to vibrate out of my hand, but I do want it to tell me what the tires are doing. Same thing with the throttle, brakes, and clutch and gear lever (not the automatic shifter). I want feedback on what the car is doing so I know how to react and where I am in terms of the car's limits.

Originally Posted by wildta
I recently got a job with Toyota In Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA.

I actually work in the Lexus part of the Plant. The recall does not affect Lexus because they DO NOT use the same gas or brake pedal as TOYOTA line up.

As for TOYOTA goes, they do not actually make the mechanism (GAS PEDAL) that is being recalled, it is made by another company, for Toyota and other car companies (FORD).

TOYOTA DOES NOT MAKE THE MECHANISM.

* Toyota has stopped all sales at dealerships and stopped production at the plant until the problem is fixed.

*Anyone with any Questions can send me a message on here.
Read the thread. The pedals themselves are not the problem and Lexus was affected, as was their shitty Scion brand as well. The sales freeze was a legal obligation. I advise anyone with questions to not call you as you clearly don't know what's going on.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Launching!

While I'm no fan of Toyota or what they've been doing to rectify the problem, I think a lot of people are just having a knee-jerk reaction to this issue. Some people are Toyota haters to begin with and this just adds fuel to their fires. I've seen the same thing on a Honda forum that I'm a member of.

as for the guy above me who works for Toyota/Lexus, I'm curious. I haven't read through this particular thread yet, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but my sister has an ES350 and I've been concerned for her safety. The thing is, there has been a few cases of ES350 owners who have experienced sudden and/or uncontrollable acceleration. So if the part isn't being made by Toyota, and Lexus is using their own part.... well what are the odds? I've seen an article on Autoblog, and the problem is the gas pedal mechanism is drive-by-wire, and the sensor is surrounded by an exposed brass bushing (it doesn't have a rubber boot or cover over it) so over time debris accumulates on it, which can result in a false or inaccurate TPS reading. Though I'll take your word for it that they use different parts, I'm 95% sure that Lexus would also use a drive-by-wire system.

Here's one case. Keep in mind this is a trained CHP officer, not some random person who has had no formal training in car control.

http://clublexus.com/forums/car-chat...rush-fire.html
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
While I'm no fan of Toyota or what they've been doing to rectify the problem, I think a lot of people are just having a knee-jerk reaction to this issue. Some people are Toyota haters to begin with and this just adds fuel to their fires.
You might be correct with that.
And I do hope that anyone else that happens to agree with you on this would also please remember that the next time a GM, Ford or Chrysler recall comes up as well.
Those knee-jerk reaction and the GM/Ford/Chrysler haters "just looking to add fuel to their fires" things can be (and HAVE BEEN in the past) just as easily applied to those situations as well.
It goes both ways ya know.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue is the media is blowing it up. Every manufacturer has had their chance in the media spotlight. Now its Toyotas turn.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I tend to agree with the valet, everything about a Toyota is completely numb. There is no interaction with you and the vehicle. It's like having sex with a woman who lays there. I like to enjoy my time in my vehicle and after owning a Camry, and a Corolla, I have been left unimpressed. Interior materials are irrelevant to me, I mean ours aren't a step up. Plus my Corolla's paint started fading away, but few cheap car's (which Toyota's, Honda's, Ford's, and Chevrolet's all fall into) built in the early 90's have much paint left on them. They couldn't find a decent bonding process for whatever reason.

My biggest problem with ALL Japanese manufacturer's is that they refuse to claim they've built a vehicle with a problem. Bottom line the badge on the front of the car is what matter's. They will always point the blame at someone else, or sweep it under the rug, for as long as possible. Look at Toyota and Honda's recall record, it's practically nonexistent. Not because they are in fact better (their car's are made mostly by us anyway, which is an argument for a different day) but because they will not admit a mistake. Hell Mercedes-Benz is more than happy to fess up when they improperly calibrate their brake's on the E-Class, but heaven forbid Toyota recall vehicle's that may or may not kill you when you step into it.

I digress, and step off my soapbox. The only thing I admire about Toyota is their business practices, but they didn't derive it. They borrowed it from Deming, something GM, Ford, and Chrysler should have done long ago.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright lets get this straight there are 2 recalls pedal entrapment which is the floor mat deal and theres pedal slow to return the newer one they don't take off but in 3 cases of high mileage cars they did not decel instantly they do intertwine new cars can be released for sale if the floormats have newer style hold downs and a certain part number gas pedal 4 runner, landcruiser, fj, prius, scions, tacoma, sienna, and yaris can be sold all others can be sold after inspection of part number and date code and not within affected range. but prius, tacoma, avalon, camry, tundra, corolla, matrix, highlander, venza must have floormats with new hold downs for the entrapment recall i am a toyota master tech and this is off our tech site updated today
Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'd like to know why gm's havin the same problem and it's not all over the news gee goverment owned less than a year and it's already an conspiracy with the #1 car company best part is they share some parts i've heard of some impalas runnin over people and one went through a bank don't know if it's the same part or problem
Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

haha just wait till yall hear whats being done to "fix" these pedals... from what i have gathered today we are no longer replacing the pedals but instead shimming the spring in the pedal to give it more return force... IE the manufacture built the part wrong... and are sending the needed parts to "remedy" the problem....

there is still a pedal entrapment recall still in effect 90L and that requires cutting the lower portion of the pedal off and sanding it down to look correct..... this will eliminate any issue with floor mat entrapment..
Old 02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssdeuce74
i'd like to know why gm's havin the same problem and it's not all over the news gee goverment owned less than a year and it's already an conspiracy with the #1 car company best part is they share some parts i've heard of some impalas runnin over people and one went through a bank don't know if it's the same part or problem
So tell me what conspiracy site you get your info from? I'd like to read the bullshit at the source.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

you think the spring is bad we are supposed to start cuttin the pedals and bevel the bottom edge but now i don't know if we're still doin that they through that out there but updated it today
Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

just think its funny there hasn't been such a big deal in the industry even the ford firestone deal wasn't this bad but it's the government forcin the issue but thats just rollin toyota under the bus it was kinda a joke lets face it the government does suck that bad
Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

aparently the vibe had issues too but it all comes down to stupidity i have not seen or heard of any legitimate cases mostly its the wrong floormats in the car period and why there just getting to this problem beats me its happened with all makes in the past
Old 02-01-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
While I'm no fan of Toyota or what they've been doing to rectify the problem, I think a lot of people are just having a knee-jerk reaction to this issue. Some people are Toyota haters to begin with and this just adds fuel to their fires. I've seen the same thing on a Honda forum that I'm a member of.
I don't think its as much of a "toyota hater" thing as its a "toyota smug owner hater" thing. If the owners weren't so smug/lame/enjoy the smell of their own farts, no one would really care. But they just cannot shut up, so they get whats coming to them...

Old 02-02-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

aparently the vibe had issues too but it all comes down to stupidity i have not seen or heard of any legitimate cases mostly its the wrong floormats in the car period and why there just getting to this problem beats me its happened with all makes in the past
You're an imbecile. The Pontiac Vibe is just the Toyota Matrix with a Pontiac badge on front. This has been common knowledge for as long as the car has been in production (going on 8 years). I think it had something to do with a joint factory or something. Point is, Toyota makes the Pontiac Vibe, not GM, which is why it has the same problem as every other Toyota.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

i'd like to know why gm's havin the same problem and it's not all over the news gee goverment owned less than a year and it's already an conspiracy with the #1 car company
Hmm, as was already mentioned above, for many many years Toyota and Honda had the luxury of having their recalls/quality issues hidden from the public/brushed under the rug (huge advertising dollars can go a long way with the media ) so perhaps now it's GM's turn to get that same red carpet treatment.
Fair is fair.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

ai have not seen or heard of any legitimate cases mostly its the wrong floormats in the car period and why there just getting to this problem beats me its happened with all makes in the past
You're a retard, floormats are no where to be found or in place in crashed or problematic vehicles from the first recall that fixed nothing. Oh, I'm sorry, are you a NHTSA inspector?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

the lexus in ca. that started the whole thing was a floor mat issue and yes the vibe is a matrix but some electronics are gm no i'm not sure which parts (denso and cts pedal assemblies are the affected parts for the recall) and of the two recalls only one in mandatory from the nhtsa the other from toyota along with the stop sell order is voluntary. there also makin new pedals for some fords and peugeots i'm just tryin to get acrossed that one there are 2 different recalls and it is not just toyota and mainly a huge media misunderstanding course toyota was stupid about it just throwin info out to the media before the dealers got any info we are gettin the recall parts numbers op codes and tech instructions today and tomorow we don't even have parts yet oh and side note how bout them delphi ecm's
Old 02-02-2010, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
You're a retard, floormats are no where to be found or in place in crashed or problematic vehicles from the first recall that fixed nothing. Oh, I'm sorry, are you a NHTSA inspector?

i doubt he is an inspector... but i will tell you this there are 3 people in this thread that has driven and or touched more toyota with this "problem" than anyone else.. and NO ONE HAS SEEN A PROBLEM OR BEEN ABLE TO DUPLICATE THE ISSUE... but what the **** do we know we just work for the problem right we cant be wrong...

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal