Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ThoR294
and now corolla power steering!?!?! :O
Yup

Toyota May Recall Corolla After U.S. Investigation (Update2)

Feb. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp. may add the Corolla, the world’s top-selling car, to a record recall list after U.S. regulators began investigating the vehicle’s power steering.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration inquiry will cover about 500,000 vehicles from model years 2009 and 2010, a person familiar with the matter said. Toyota is reviewing the Corolla’s steering and will recall the car if there is a safety issue, Executive Vice President Shinichi Sasaki said yesterday, after the NHTSA received more than 80 online complaints.

A Corolla recall would add to a repair list of more than 8 million vehicles on five continents spanning models from the Camry sedan to the Prius hybrid. Toyota, the world’s largest carmaker, has lost more than $31 billion in market value since announcing fixes for accelerator-pedal defects on Jan. 21.

“Toyota’s troubles are going to continue for a while,” said Mamoru Kato, an analyst at Tokai Tokyo Research Center in Nagoya, Japan. “Customer complaints will just snowball because they are related to driver perceptions.”

Toyota fell 0.6 percent to close at 3,360 yen in Tokyo. The U.S. investigation into the Corolla is known as a preliminary evaluation, according to the person, who asked not to be identified because Toyota hadn’t been formally notified.

‘Cooperate Fully’

“We are aware of complaints regarding 2009 and 2010 Corolla steering systems, are investigating the issue and will cooperate fully,” with NHTSA’s investigation, Cindy Knight, a Toyota spokeswoman, said in an e-mailed message.

President Akio Toyoda said yesterday the company is making progress addressing the recalls, and that dealers in Japan will have fixed as much of 80 percent of Priuses by the end of February.

Toyoda said he plans to skip testifying before the U.S. Congress about the company’s recalls and hasn’t decided on his schedule for a U.S. visit. North American President Yoshimi Inaba will attend hearings in Washington next week, Toyoda said. Toyota’s U.S. sales unit president Jim Lentz will testify at the first U.S. house hearing on the recalls, according to the company.

The U.S. is traditionally the automaker’s most profitable market. Toyota, which has lost over $31 billion in market value since a Jan. 21 accelerator-pedal recall, placed advertisements in Japanese newspapers yesterday apologizing and promising to complete repairs as soon as possible.

The automaker has set up a global quality committee, headed by Toyoda, and will appoint a chief quality officer at each of the company’s regions, Toyoda said yesterday. The new committee will have its first meeting on March 30, he said. The company will also appoint a third party to test its electronic throttle system.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:24 AM
TECH Regular

**** flows downhill. Seems Toyota's house of cards have fallen.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This was on yahoo, interesting and pathetic at the same time. What many suspected for years now....

Feb. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Former regulators hired by Toyota Motor Corp. helped end at least four U.S. investigations of unintended acceleration by company vehicles in the last decade, warding off possible recalls, court and government records show.

Christopher Tinto, vice president of regulatory affairs in Toyota's Washington office, and Christopher Santucci, who works for Tinto, helped persuade the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to end probes including those of 2002-2003 Toyota Camrys and Solaras, court documents show. Both men joined Toyota directly from NHTSA, Tinto in 1994 and Santucci in 2003.

While all automakers have employees who handle NHTSA issues, Toyota may be alone among the major companies in employing former agency staffers to do so. Spokesmen for General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co., Chrysler Group LLC and Honda Motor Co. all say their companies have no ex-NHTSA people who deal with the agency on defects.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

I bet they are making a killing off these now

http://www.freewebs.com/toyotasucks/toyotasucksgear.htm
Old 02-18-2010, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ke^in
I bet they are making a killing off these now

http://www.freewebs.com/toyotasucks/toyotasucksgear.htm
I bet I would totally get fired for wearing this...
Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BanditTA
This was on yahoo, interesting and pathetic at the same time. What many suspected for years now....
Yep, Common practice for foreign companies/countries to hire former US officials as lobbyist for their cause. It's been happening for years at the FTC. Work at a mundane US government job for a few years and then make multiple times as much working for a foreign company/country after you leave. Ethical implications abound but it would be difficult to prove that they were leveraging their former coworkers. Unless the former coworkers went on the payroll for that company/country at a later date...hmmm.

Anyway, Toyota has done a great job building theirselves up for years in spite of people who point out their short comings. I'm sure theirs some psychological reason for this mass denial of their deficiencies. If they were really that great every Toyota dealership would have a service department half the size of everyone else. Apparently, once you drink the Foreign Kool-Aid you can't come back
Old 02-18-2010, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by BanditTA

Feb. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Former regulators hired by Toyota Motor Corp. helped end at least four U.S. investigations of unintended acceleration by company vehicles in the last decade, warding off possible recalls, court and government records show.

Christopher Tinto, vice president of regulatory affairs in Toyota's Washington office, and Christopher Santucci, who works for Tinto, helped persuade the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to end probes including those of 2002-2003 Toyota Camrys and Solaras, court documents show. Both men joined Toyota directly from NHTSA, Tinto in 1994 and Santucci in 2003.

While all automakers have employees who handle NHTSA issues, Toyota may be alone among the major companies in employing former agency staffers to do so. Spokesmen for General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co., Chrysler Group LLC and Honda Motor Co. all say their companies have no ex-NHTSA people who deal with the agency on defects.
Wow
Old 02-18-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

can I get a link to that? or is that the whole article
Old 02-18-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can I get a link to that? or is that the whole article
http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20...atfvxj4_pjh4_1
Old 02-18-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TT632
Ethical implications abound but it would be difficult to prove that they were leveraging their former coworkers. Unless the former coworkers went on the payroll for that company/country at a later date...hmmm.
From article:

"Tinto, 46, came to Toyota after about four years at NHTSA. He hired Santucci from NHTSA in 2003, after the two met on opposite sides of the table in defect investigation cases, Santucci said in a deposition in the Michigan lawsuit."

It's still only circumstantial, but it looks a little worse every time you turn over another a stone.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

considering i got the G5 for $13,500... Im really not complaining. Like I said, every single sunfire/cavaqueer I've seen was so ratty and junk and a rattletrap. Great if the motor lasts forever but the car still has to keep up
Google honda rattle. But back on topic, This is going to be difficult for Toyota to overturn, especially with other brands offering discounts for Toyota trade in's. Think I saw that even Honda or Nissan are doing it in addition to GM and Ford. At least locally. Good luck Toyota, my mother-in-law needs you for a few more years so she can retire.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Was watching some of the hearings that were going on today on CNBC, it's lookin' pretty bad for Toyota right now.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

that hearin sucked the toyota rep was a idiot and they kept talkin bout three different issues makin them sound like 1 huge one i'm gonna throw this out there one last time in 9 years i have not seen one toyota with unintended accel. or the sticky pedal i have had 3 customer cars with 3 floor mats all bunched up catch the gas pedal on test drives and there is no software issue we reprogram the ecu to have some form of fuel cut when gas and brake are applied just for safety. toyota is not perfect and we do more warranty work theses days there was a time i did maybe 3 warranty jobs a week. anyone on here with a toyota if you want any info about the recalls just send me a messege
Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Regular

I have however, heard about many people having to pay for something that broke, that was a design flaw from the start, and Toyota refusing to recall, or pay for the repair.

They obviously didn't want their recall numbers to go up, and hence giving the false sense of quality.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

My buds grandmother went to both a toyota dealer and a GM dealer with her vibe and they both didnt know what to do and told her to just stop driving it. Its a frikin joke.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_440532.html
Old 02-24-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ke^in
I have however, heard about many people having to pay for something that broke, that was a design flaw from the start, and Toyota refusing to recall, or pay for the repair.

They obviously didn't want their recall numbers to go up, and hence giving the false sense of quality.
Recall decisions all come out of Japan. Toyota, like Honda and Nissan have their front men here, but they have no power compared to their counterparts in Japan.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Right..
Old 02-24-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

whats goin on with the vibe
Old 02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

101.5 was doing a show about it today... people called in and said they experienced it because their floormat got stuck. one guy said his got stuck cause the car wash guys did not hook the floormat back to the hook thats in the car.. lol
Old 02-24-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssdeuce74
whats goin on with the vibe
It's a Toyota Matrix with a Pontiac badge on the front end.

That aside this was an interesting read.

http://jalopnik.com/5479384/breaking...ers-in-detroit

Now for what should have happened when they first heard of their car's doing this in Europe at the start of 2008 or 2009, can't remember from the hearing.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/recall-2...ata-sedan.html

Last edited by kain01; 02-24-2010 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal