Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ke^in
Of course it is. But I don't think when referring to economy cars, the interior meaning all that much. People don't buy economy cars for their luxuries. That's like looking for an "elegant" trash can.

And they were.. economy cars.

Cobalts aren't safe?

Remember, a car is more than an engine
Many people buy economy cars because they can't afford anything else... I can imagine that many of those people (like the ~300k that buy Civics every year) do care about the interiors of their cars. There is a reason that not only did GM do an extensive makeover of the Cavalier, but they didn't keep the name. Because the name was associated with unsafe POS cars. And no, Cobalts are not particularly safe, especially in comparison with the top cars in the class.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Many people buy economy cars because they can't afford anything else... I can imagine that many of those people (like the ~300k that buy Civics every year) do care about the interiors of their cars.
Caring about them, and expecting luxury for economy prices are two different things. A civic's interior is hardly anything to brag about.
There is a reason that not only did GM do an extensive makeover of the Cavalier, but they didn't keep the name. Because the name was associated with unsafe POS cars. And no, Cobalts are not particularly safe, especially in comparison with the top cars in the class.
That are usually underpowered and a lot more conservative.

BTW

"The government's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration gives the sedan and coupe four out of five stars for the driver's safety and five stars for passenger safety in front crashes. In side crash tests, the Cobalt sedan gets three stars for the front seat and five for the rear. The coupe earns four stars for the driver's and rear passengers' protection in side crashes."

That isn't bad for an ECONOMY car.

Regardless of what people WANT from an ECONOMY car, they are going to get economy parts and corners cut.

Even with imports.

My wife's 04 Civic gave us NOTHING but problems the 2 years she owned it. I wont say "I'll never own a Honda again" because that would be trollish.

I wont be buying a Toyota however. I've always been suspect of just how honest they were about their cars. This incident only further proves my paranoia correct. I've had too many friends with Toyota's that had hard times trying to get Toyota to replace something that was obviously faulty.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

Many people buy economy cars because they can't afford anything else...
True, hence why I also believe that the Cobalt was a great choice as an economy car for the person that can't even afford a $16k Civic.
A miniscule amount more of safety still isn't going to matter in either car if an 18 wheeler is bearing down on ya at 65mph LOL.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True, hence why I also believe that the Cobalt was a great choice as an economy car for the person that can't even afford a $16k Civic.
The Civic is overpriced IMHO.
A miniscule amount more of safety still isn't going to matter in either car if an 18 wheeler is bearing down on ya at 65mph LOL.
Exactly.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM
***Repost Police***

In that case, it doesn't matter what you are in if an 18-wheeler is bearing down on you at 65mph... you would be just as dead in a Suburban as you would in a Smart Car. And I'd go so far to say as the Civic's earned reputation as one of the most reliable cars in the world has afforded Honda the right to charge what they do.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many people buy economy cars because they can't afford anything else... I can imagine that many of those people (like the ~300k that buy Civics every year) do care about the interiors of their cars. There is a reason that not only did GM do an extensive makeover of the Cavalier, but they didn't keep the name. Because the name was associated with unsafe POS cars. And no, Cobalts are not particularly safe, especially in comparison with the top cars in the class.
Absolutely true, but the G5/Cobalts are great cars for the money, so was the Cavalier/Sunfire. They are not as good as a benchmark Civic, but the new Cruze seems like it will definately close that gap to almost nothing as the new Malibu has for Mid Size sedans. GM is always a little late to the party, but the last 2-3 years the domestics have woken up and realized you can't get by with huge panel gaps in a plastic interior. I for one am excited about all the new domestic offerings that are gonna smack nutswinging import lovers in the face with their own smugness.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

In that case, it doesn't matter what you are in if an 18-wheeler is bearing down on you at 65mph... you would be just as dead in a Suburban as you would in a Smart Car. And I'd go so far to say as the Civic's earned reputation as one of the most reliable cars in the world has afforded Honda the right to charge what they do.
While this is true, I've always found it funny that they(along with any Mitsu) will burn oil more miles than most cars will be on the road.

Same with old Fords...friend drove a tempo with a limping transmission for 2+years and then sold it after that, still going.

My GM's have always been either running flawlessly or broke...no gray area about it.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11001292...lts-production
Old 02-16-2010, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by justin455
I for one am excited about all the new domestic offerings that are gonna smack nutswinging import lovers in the face with their own smugness.
I am as well.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

So you're trying to justify Toyota being forced to recall 2+million vehicles on account of a defective part made by an outside supplier because Ford used the same supplier for 1,600 Fleet Vans for the Chinese market?

It is interesting information, but really?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cavalirs are ugly and stupid. I hate them with a passion. so annyoing. LOL z24 edition. its like a wanna be camaro car. I call it a cavaqueer cause its ******* queer. that car is dumb
Old 02-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Originally Posted by ThoR294
Cavalirs are ugly and stupid. I hate them with a passion. so annyoing. LOL z24 edition. its like a wanna be camaro car. I call it a cavaqueer cause its ******* queer. that car is dumb
You bought it's younger cousin. They're economy cars for a reason, and the 2.2 will run forever.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by justin455
You bought it's younger cousin. They're economy cars for a reason, and the 2.2 will run forever.
I did not like the style of the cavalir or the sunfire... only the last body style of the sunfire I kinda liked. The interior was ratty and uncomfortable. when i got inside a G5 I was impressed. It was a big step up from the sunfire.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did not like the style of the cavalir or the sunfire... only the last body style of the sunfire I kinda liked. The interior was ratty and uncomfortable. when i got inside a G5 I was impressed. It was a big step up from the sunfire.
That's like saying the torch was a big step up from darkness.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 AM
TECH Regular

Time to come out of the closet.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a 98 cavalier that I paid 500 bucks for, most reliable, cheap, efficient transportation i've ever owned. Granted it has rust, but I swear I do nothing but drive the stupid thing, only a three speed and I still get over 30mpg going to work. I've got three other cars at home, but this little gem (i say that because it's gold in color) has been great. I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

Call it what you will, but the 2.2 cavs and sunfires were great cars, hands down.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kain01
That's like saying the torch was a big step up from darkness.
considering i got the G5 for $13,500... Im really not complaining. Like I said, every single sunfire/cavaqueer I've seen was so ratty and junk and a rattletrap. Great if the motor lasts forever but the car still has to keep up
Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

considering i got the G5 for $13,500... Im really not complaining. Like I said, every single sunfire/cavaqueer I've seen was so ratty and junk and a rattletrap. Great if the motor lasts forever but the car still has to keep up
There are a lot of people that live in VERY rural areas that have to drive in very poor conditions and dont care what the car looks like inside or out. As long as it preforms, get decent gas mileage and doesnt break critically functioning parts.

Most of the people I go to work dont drive vehicles under 125k, just for the fact that its impractical to buy something because of excess wear and tear when your vehicle that you have hasnt failed what so ever.

All of their nice low mileage vehicles are under a car cover, waiting for the weekend or a sunny summer day.

Given examples:
Buds 93 ford tempo with over 200k
My truck with over 250k(k5 blazer).(body is rusted off)
my dads truck with 203k(1500 chevy)
my trans am with 170k

Most blue collar americans are in this situation.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
There are a lot of people that live in VERY rural areas that have to drive in very poor conditions and dont care what the car looks like inside or out. As long as it preforms, get decent gas mileage and doesnt break critically functioning parts.

Most of the people I go to work dont drive vehicles under 125k, just for the fact that its impractical to buy something because of excess wear and tear when your vehicle that you have hasnt failed what so ever.

All of their nice low mileage vehicles are under a car cover, waiting for the weekend or a sunny summer day.

Given examples:
Buds 93 ford tempo with over 200k
My truck with over 250k(k5 blazer).(body is rusted off)
my dads truck with 203k(1500 chevy)
my trans am with 170k

Most blue collar americans are in this situation.
I'm one of those, Z28 has 170k, and my wife's low mileage car is turning 110k. LOL
Old 02-17-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

I have a 92 dakota with ~120k miles on it. 4cyl 5speed lol. I got that thing for $800. Runs like a champ. single cab 6' bed.

we are getting off topic. HOW ABOUT THEM GAS PEDALS?!?! and now corolla power steering!?!?! :O

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal