Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Update: Toyota has HALTED Sales for the affected vehicles.
From Toyota's site for the full announcement.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...ry-102572.aspx
Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Update: Toyota has HALTED Sales for the affected vehicles.
I see this affecting my job...
Old 01-27-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How come Lexus isn't on this list???
Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The floormat thing was dumb. I work at Toyota and I had customers bitch about it. They had floormats STACKED (aftermarket all weather) that would get stuck on the pedal... My mom has a 09 camry with OEM floormats... THEY ARE NO WHERE CLOSE to the accelerator pedal.

as far as the throttle sticking, if you saw on the news that Avalon that went to Muller Toyota (where I WORK). He said his throttle was stuck 100% all the way as he drove to the dealer. He said the "service manager" came out, verified it, and signed it. He got the scumbag writer who doesn't know **** to sign the RO. He didn't grab a TECH or anyone that knew a thing about cars to look at it. When we pulled the car in the shop the car was perfect. No issues, nothing.

I heard about that lexus with 4 people in it that died because the "accelerator" pedal stuck... do they know anything about cars? Put the damn thing in neutral... pull over and shut the car off. Done and done.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ThoR294
I heard about that lexus with 4 people in it that died because the "accelerator" pedal stuck... do they know anything about cars? Put the damn thing in neutral... pull over and shut the car off. Done and done.
That guy driving that car was a police officer, you would think he would know what to do
Old 01-27-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

They had time to call 911... like. Im just so baffled by that story I dont even know lol
Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last i read it had push button start, owners did not know they had to depress the button for 3 seconds to shut the vehicle off. Also, the shifter was locked in drive and they could not change gears. It boils down to Toyota or their consultant designing a faulty part and system, Toyota ultimately approved the design. The part manufacturer and or suppler just built what Toyota designed/approved. The entire system from different reports has several design flaws.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

there is NOTHING that locks the shifter in drive... also you dont have the hold the button for 3 seconds. you just push it and it shuts off.... i call bullshit on the shifter being locked
Old 01-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BanditTA
Last i read it had push button start, owners did not know they had to depress the button for 3 seconds to shut the vehicle off. Also, the shifter was locked in drive and they could not change gears. It boils down to Toyota or their consultant designing a faulty part and system, Toyota ultimately approved the design. The part manufacturer and or suppler just built what Toyota designed/approved. The entire system from different reports has several design flaws.
If they did not know how to shut the car off how did they turn it off any other time they drove the car?
Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The floormat thing was dumb. I work at Toyota and I had customers bitch about it. They had floormats STACKED (aftermarket all weather) that would get stuck on the pedal... My mom has a 09 camry with OEM floormats... THEY ARE NO WHERE CLOSE to the accelerator pedal.

as far as the throttle sticking, if you saw on the news that Avalon that went to Muller Toyota (where I WORK). He said his throttle was stuck 100% all the way as he drove to the dealer. He said the "service manager" came out, verified it, and signed it. He got the scumbag writer who doesn't know **** to sign the RO. He didn't grab a TECH or anyone that knew a thing about cars to look at it. When we pulled the car in the shop the car was perfect. No issues, nothing.

If the people buying these cars are really stuffing four floor mats under their feet, what sort of advantage is this giving them? I find it pretty hard to believe that every possible accident is caused by floor mats being stuck. Is even one recently that someone drove into a damn lake, and where were the floor mats? In the damn trunk. The cop in the Lexus that wiped out was in a loaner car. If the throttle stuck in that because of floor mats in the car and no one in the dealership was able to catch that, I don't think I would ever consider a purchase from there.

The throttle sticking has been an issue for the past two years. Every time they are asked it is either a floor mat that caused the issue or apparently someone just forgot which pedal was the go and which was the stop.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rawr256
If the people buying these cars are really stuffing four floor mats under their feet, what sort of advantage is this giving them?
not four mats. TWO. simply TWO. I have duplicated it with two. It can cause it easy.

There may be a throttle issue, but people just need to learn how to handle their car. Some people shouldn't be allowed to drive...
Old 01-27-2010, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

The floormat thing was dumb. I work at Toyota and I had customers bitch about it. They had floormats STACKED (aftermarket all weather) that would get stuck on the pedal...
Umm

If the people buying these cars are really stuffing four floor mats under their feet, what sort of advantage is this giving them? I find it pretty hard to believe that every possible accident is caused by floor mats being stuck. Is even one recently that someone drove into a damn lake, and where were the floor mats? In the damn trunk.
I agree.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Umm

do you understand english? People have the OEM floor mat, then they have the all weather floormat ON TOP OF the OEM floor mat. It easily slides and CAN get stuck on the gas pedal.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

If the people buying these cars are really stuffing four floor mats under their feet
Even I know the limit is three floor mats on a Toyota and always use the zip tie mod

Funny thng is on one of the Toyota boards, one of the owners suggested the people that were getting stuck WOT were fools because they didn't check their floor mats before driving thier vehicles as he does.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

From GM Inside News.

Yes, we typically reserve our front page for news regarding the entire industry or General Motors, however this week is a special case. Yesterday Toyota announced that it was halting production and the selling of eight of their most popular models. Interestingly their press release was devoid of the fact that the U.S. Government forced Toyota to issue to the stop-sale and halt the assembly lines. This morning the U.S. Secretary of Transportation has confirmed the government's request.

According to the latest information Toyota is unclear of how to fully fix the sudden acceleration problem and that was the reason for the feds demanding a shut-down. Toyota has continued production in Japan.

This morning House Democrat Bart Stupak, Chairman of the investigation committee said that lawmakers are concerned about the Toyota recall. The investigation committee will be meeting with Toyota today regarding what they really know about the issue.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

What a lovely pr mess this is. Halting production and sales for god knows how long to fix this issue. I can only imagine the hit dealers will take.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess Toyota won't be number one in sales in 2010. They will, however, be number one in recalls.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

i also work for toyota in plano, tx and the recall only covers cars equiped with a specific pedal... there was a split in manufacturing and alot of the cars got a diff brand pedal.. the floor mat recall was done because customers were stupid... and stacked the mats on top of one another.... ( bottom one had the retaining clips so the tops more free)... i have duplicated this as well in many cars.. but with the factory mat installed correctly it never did it.. and the issue with the smart key car... it will not shut off if u are rolling by just pushing the button... you have to HOLD IT FOR 3-5 seconds to get it to turn off.. its set like that incase of accidently pushing it while driving.. and the shifters are still cable attached to the trans.. IE U MOVE THE SHIFTER ITS GONNA CHANGE THE GEAR.. toss it in neutral and pull the **** over.. just a defective part just like all the cruise switches on 4.5 MILLION fords that were recalled last year cause they COULD cause a fire.. COULD.. i have looked at alot of these cars with the "bad pedals" have not gotten them to do ****... and i would put my family in one and let them drive it..... and the trooper that got killed i am sorry my thoughts are with the fam.. but come on PULLING OUT YOUR PHONE AND TAKING A VIDEO? PLEASE i would have been doing every effort to stop the car..... hold he shifter on it to the N (this car is actually eletric shift because it has no gears) and it will go in to neutral.. its not that hard..
Old 01-27-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98mysticZ
i also work for toyota in plano, tx and the recall only covers cars equiped with a specific pedal... there was a split in manufacturing and alot of the cars got a diff brand pedal.. the floor mat recall was done because customers were stupid... and stacked the mats on top of one another.... ( bottom one had the retaining clips so the tops more free)... i have duplicated this as well in many cars.. but with the factory mat installed correctly it never did it.. and the issue with the smart key car... it will not shut off if u are rolling by just pushing the button... you have to HOLD IT FOR 3-5 seconds to get it to turn off.. its set like that incase of accidently pushing it while driving.. and the shifters are still cable attached to the trans.. IE U MOVE THE SHIFTER ITS GONNA CHANGE THE GEAR.. toss it in neutral and pull the **** over.. just a defective part just like all the cruise switches on 4.5 MILLION fords that were recalled last year cause they COULD cause a fire.. COULD.. i have looked at alot of these cars with the "bad pedals" have not gotten them to do ****... and i would put my family in one and let them drive it..... and the trooper that got killed i am sorry my thoughts are with the fam.. but come on PULLING OUT YOUR PHONE AND TAKING A VIDEO? PLEASE i would have been doing every effort to stop the car..... hold he shifter on it to the N (this car is actually eletric shift because it has no gears) and it will go in to neutral.. its not that hard..
My grandfather has had 2 sets of floormats in every car he's had (198x Buick, 199x Mercury, 2007 Buick) and none of them have ever had any problems with the gas pedal. In my Saturn, I would have to have floormats stacked 4 inches high for them to touch the gas pedal. Same thing with my mom's Suburban and my dad's Mustang. Plain and simple, this is poor design and even poorer handling of the situation on Toyota's part.

Quick Reply: Toyota Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles For Sticking Accelerator Pedal