Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2011 Mustang 5.0L V8 Dyno Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010 | 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the thing that throws most people off is when they hear 'stock block' they are thinking its jackets are probably filled, as is Mihovetz's car I believe. No alum block engines will touch that, but $750 is referring to iron block's from the gen iii and iv fam. Aftermarket blocks are so plentiful and strong, rarely do people go that far. 2500hp on the lsx block without hardener, why not use that. Just preference.
Old 03-17-2010 | 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by $750 L98
That was mostly what I was wondering about, I was here thinking that it was a "stock block" as in basically a stock short block. Aluminum blocks I don't know about, not without being modified or filled at least.

However there are 6-7 second F body cars around, 2 or so in Houston alone if I remember correctly (Fereday?). Hard to remember, but I believe one of them was running a stock block and heads (ported of course) on 30psi of boost.
Fereday sold the black Camaro to a guy in Qatar and last I heard they have been having some trouble getting all the little bugs out of the TT TA. I'm sure it would run at least a high 7 if they could ever get everything squared away.
Old 03-17-2010 | 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS-9 = savage
Old 03-17-2010 | 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Old 03-17-2010 | 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Don't get all touchy now, I just found it funny that I didn't even have to read a page before it was declared that a LS would never touch a 4.6 lol
He was referring to a specific car. You are being general.
Old 03-19-2010 | 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder what the mod potential of this motor will be? Maybe similar to the 32v 4.6s? It seems over-engineered to be the way it is, for example they are talking about the heads flowing so much and the manifolds being so efficient, where is the room to upgrade? I hope its not a case of "fast-as-cast" but don't futz with it or it'll explode.

Once this comes out I may have to go to the dark side, I sat in a 2010 for the first time the other day and the quality compared to me late 90's f-body blew me away.
Old 03-19-2010 | 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I wonder what the mod potential of this motor will be? Maybe similar to the 32v 4.6s? It seems over-engineered to be the way it is, for example they are talking about the heads flowing so much and the manifolds being so efficient, where is the room to upgrade? I hope its not a case of "fast-as-cast" but don't futz with it or it'll explode.

Once this comes out I may have to go to the dark side, I sat in a 2010 for the first time the other day and the quality compared to me late 90's f-body blew me away.
ya you have to remember that your interior is a refreshed version of the 93 which is 18 years old now, but ya i have spent some time in my buddies 2007 gt and it is an upgrade for sure.

I dont think these new 2010+ gt's will be very mod friendly. I doubt they will keep up with the ls1's let alone any of the 4" or more bore lsx motors
Old 03-19-2010 | 09:48 PM
***Repost Police***

It depends on how you like to think about it... these motors could be seeing ~400rwhp with bolt-ons/tune. And they're gonna love nitrous.
Old 03-19-2010 | 10:39 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 180ls1
I dont think these new 2010+ gt's will be very mod friendly. I doubt they will keep up with the ls1's let alone any of the 4" or more bore lsx motors
I don't know, I'm thinking that a 2011 GT might be able to take a stock LS1 F-body every time (as I believe a stock 2010 SS would as well), I think the new GT might even have a tenth or two advantage over the new SS as well maybe.
Time will tell.
Old 03-19-2010 | 11:32 PM
Launching!

I don't know, I'm thinking that a 2011 GT might be able to take a stock LS1 F-body every time (as I believe a stock 2010 SS would as well)
Thats for sure!

I think the new GT might even have a tenth or two advantage over the new SS as well maybe.
Thats a good question...
Old 03-20-2010 | 05:15 AM
TECH Regular

If the 2011 GT is faster, if anything it should make the future GM owners happy. That can only mean that the next Camaro or whatever will come out EVEN FASTER. GM unlike Ford, rarely rests on it's laurels in these HP wars.

I can just imagine the bad-assed GM that the 2011 GT is going to produce. If that makes any sense.
Old 03-20-2010 | 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The new 4.6s are pretty responsive to mods aren't they? Not to mention if you look at the new ford motors, GM and even dodge, they are looking very similar to one another. Long runner composite intakes, big heads, etc. Then again, wasn't one of the designers of the LS series a previous Ford guru?

Either way, Ford, GM, Mopar, all of these motors are becoming very similar and VERY responsive to simple mods. Great for any DIY hot rodder period. I also love that GM keeps taking the best designs of race series parts and handing them down.

At the end of the day, as long as it's American I'm pumped about it either way.
Old 03-20-2010 | 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

with head flow like all of these motors have, there's plenty on the table.

keep in mind the tuning and injection are calibrated for minimum emissions. cam timing events are scheduled for EGR. making 412hp for the ford, 475hp for the hemi, and 426hp for the chevy are NVH, emissions, and sound standard legal.

as far as the 5.0 4v running with LS-1? it will take a bad driver to lose really IMO. well into the 12's with stock tires. throw ET in streets and 4k drop. the only test run i've heard about was 111 mph. the et isnt important. not too many stock tire, untouched LS-1 camaros running 110+. corrected of course. negative DA's not withstanding a 2010 camaro or 2011 GT in negative DA's will run that much faster. im going to a negative DA track one january in florida at some point.

255 pirelli summers, brembos, long tubes, X-pipe,after X dumps, boss-r intake manifold, 93 octane tune, 7200 shifting, bolt-on weight reductions. im salivating.

Last edited by assasinator; 03-20-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2010 | 06:31 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

Either way, Ford, GM, Mopar, all of these motors are becoming very similar and VERY responsive to simple mods. Great for any DIY hot rodder period. I also love that GM keeps taking the best designs of race series parts and handing them down.
I agree. I have a friend with a 5.7L Challenger R/T (not even the more potent 6.1L SRT-8) that's running 12.3s (12.5s today in the heat) with just a few bolt ons and that's at full weight.
The new Mustang GT might be a little more 'maxed out' so to speak than the LSx and Hemi motors but I'm sure there will still be some nice gains to be found through basic hot rodding tricks, even in naturally aspirated trim.

At the end of the day, as long as it's American I'm pumped about it either way.
Old 03-20-2010 | 10:26 PM
***Repost Police***

Personally I'm ecstatic (no matter what some might think) that America is finally making cars that are competitive with some of the foreign models in the fit/finish/quality department, and they haven't turned down the wick on the performance.
Old 03-21-2010 | 05:14 AM
TECH Regular

What car can you get that isn't domestic like a Mustang/Camaro , etc? Of course within the same price range?

You can't.

There are simply no foreign cars that touch these cars bang for buck.

That is why they have been such great sellers.
Old 03-21-2010 | 06:22 AM
***Repost Police***

Technically they are in a class by themselves. If you want, you can put them in the same class (or atleast same buyer segment) as the G37, 335i, etc, where they definitely get outclassed... but there is still something to be said about the raw torque of a V8. Would I rather have a G37 or a 335i over a Mustang GT? Sure. But that's only me, and I can't speak for everyone.
Old 03-21-2010 | 07:34 AM
TECH Regular

If by "outclassed" you mean inane features that usually end up breaking within 2 years then yes. If you mean pretentious styling that looks dated in 5 years, then yes to that too. I don't care of my dash is covered in leather or not. I don't care if my seats have heat or cool. I don't care for most BMWs I've driven. I mean they are awesome cars, but I could put together a better car for cheaper. Better meaning performance wise. Dad has owned 2 or 3 BMWs and a few Porches when I was as bit younger (and so was he). I was impressed with the 928s and 911s, but not the BMWs for some reason. My cousin owns two M3s that are neat however. I just couldn't care less about "elegant" interiors. It means nothing to me. My GT is about as luxurious as I want it to get. I'd get manual windows for it if I could. One less thing to break that isn't really needed. IMHO of course.
Old 03-21-2010 | 12:30 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ke^in
What car can you get that isn't domestic like a Mustang/Camaro , etc? Of course within the same price range?

You can't.

There are simply no foreign cars that touch these cars bang for buck.
The only one that comes remotely close is the 370Z, I believe that car is a decent performance car value though I still wouldn't buy one over a Camaro SS or Mustang GT.

Originally Posted by Ke^in
If by "outclassed" you mean inane features that usually end up breaking within 2 years then yes. If you mean pretentious styling that looks dated in 5 years, then yes to that too. I don't care of my dash is covered in leather or not. I don't care if my seats have heat or cool. I don't care for most BMWs I've driven. I mean they are awesome cars, but I could put together a better car for cheaper. Better meaning performance wise. Dad has owned 2 or 3 BMWs and a few Porches when I was as bit younger (and so was he). I was impressed with the 928s and 911s, but not the BMWs for some reason. My cousin owns two M3s that are neat however. I just couldn't care less about "elegant" interiors. It means nothing to me. My GT is about as luxurious as I want it to get. I'd get manual windows for it if I could. One less thing to break that isn't really needed. IMHO of course.
I somewhat agree. I would just expect a lot more power/straight line speed from a $40k-$50k car (ie: 335i) that's constantly claiming to be a true performance enthusiast's machine.
Even the area where they are strong (handling/braking) still doesn't seem to me to quite live up to the hype. And how in this day and age are those cars so damn heavy (the current M3 comes to mind here) with all of that 'supposed' ultra modern/cutting edge technology behind them, they certainly charge enough for the cars to have it all.
Old 03-21-2010 | 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
The only one that comes remotely close is the 370Z, I believe that car is a decent performance car value though I still wouldn't buy one over a Camaro SS or Mustang GT.
True, forgot about the 370. That's one bad-assed car. I like the 350 too. The price isn't bad on them either.

Does Mazda even make a RXx car anymore?

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang 5.0L V8 Dyno Test