Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2011 Mustang 5.0L V8 Dyno Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin, You have way to much time.

In case you didnt notice this is LS1 tech so of course most people are biased.

Seriously. Ever thread that turns into a bitchfest starts with YOU!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

It shouldnt matter if Ford or whoever puts a "blower" on their car to make it faster. Its about revenue and public interest. Ford makes a good product, my Camaro rides like *** compared to a GT. Every car of different manufacturers has its strong and weak points. The 'premium' 10bolt rear end chevy put in its camaros are junk compared to the 8.8 and the 9". We spend money to upgrade rear ends to racing capacity as others spend money on pulleys, headers, etc to mod their 'blown' cars to racing capacity.

What im not getting is that I see alot of these replies talking about compression, compression. Adding forced induction does not change the static compression of an engine, what you are referring to is dynamic compression.

A modern STOCK V8 sports car is still and always will be a modern stock V8 sports car. If your one who thinks in theory of relativity, if you pull up at a stop full of every day cars with a 03+ (example) GT, chances are you are going to be the fastest car at the stop light with everyone else. From what I recall the terminator is still faster than an ls1 f-body in its stock form. When you start applying mods to both then game over on the stock vs stock race.

With every car manufacturer there is a base to premium lineup. During those times a Cobra was the premium and the SS/Firehawk was the "345hp" SLP cars. See where im going with this...?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by violent_celerity
and for you 305 haters, i know a guy that made 300hp to the wheels through all the smog equipment and a 200r4 in an 86 monte ss.. oh and thats NA..

just saying
I lol inrl everytime someone with a 305 tries to mod it. such a waste unless you are really really bored and have money to throw away
Old 02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya it may make decent power now but they still wont hook and kids will think they are the **** but still get waxed by ls1's
Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................... god the fight over this rivalry is boring and stupid sounds like alot of people are scared of this new engine though, im excited to see what it does, im all for it
Old 02-12-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

BTW john mihovetz is using a race teksid block, not an iron block. basically the same setup im running, but with billet rods/pistons.

lightly modded 96-98 cobra DOHC B heads, billet rods, race deburred teksid block, stock cobra race prepped kellogg crank, piston, proprietary cams. BIG turbos.

4.6 liters = 2300hp.

thats right, the block in my car can handle 2300 hp when prepped. and i paid 165.00 for the core motor i rebuilt. my ported heads flow as more than enough to make that kind of power out of only 4.6 liters. john doesnt do anything super special wi tht eh heads. they are killer when modded.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Good points.
Just because the LS1 cars were so exceptionally fast (in stock or modded trim) it doesn't automatically make everything else slow. Even the high 13 second 1999-2004 Mustang GTs were still relatively fast cars in the grand scheme of things, especially when compared to the average family car/truck of the time.
Today we have Z06s and ZR1s that can run high 10s in stock trim...but that still doesn't suddenly make a high 11/low 12 second C5 Z06 slow in my opinion. In it's day (and even still now) it was among some of the fastest cars in the world.
Thanks, I didn't think my thinking was really that off.

Originally Posted by clonedws6
Kevin, You have way to much time.
"Too" and it doesn't take me as long to post these posts as you obviously think it does. I was a typesetter for 5 years at a newspaper in the early 90s before I got into graphic design.
In case you didnt notice this is LS1 tech so of course most people are biased.
So because it's an LS1 forum, ignorance should be tolerated? In most Mustang forums I belong to, if someone started bashing a LS1 saying it was junk he'd surely get made fun of. And rightfully so. I respect someone that can respect a decent car no matter who makes it. When I see someone that has a dedication to one company simply "because" it makes me think they aren't too smart. That they are easily led. I am not saying anyone that buys all GMs are stupid. Not at all. But anyone that cannot appreciate a car another company makes because they are faithful to "brand x" borderlines on silly IMHO.
Seriously. Ever thread that turns into a bitchfest starts with YOU!
Not even close. If your rant was so just, you'd not have to revert to dishonest exaggerations to make your point.

If you haven't noticed, there have been LSx owners agreeing with me in this thread. Not everyone that owns a GM is a fanboy. Actually most aren't.
Originally Posted by blackhawk0251
It shouldnt matter if Ford or whoever puts a "blower" on their car to make ...<clipped to save space>
Agreed and AWESOME post.

Last edited by Ke^in; 02-13-2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by assasinator
BTW john mihovetz is using a race teksid block, not an iron block. basically the same setup im running, but with billet rods/pistons.

lightly modded 96-98 cobra DOHC B heads, billet rods, race deburred teksid block, stock cobra race prepped kellogg crank, piston, proprietary cams. BIG turbos.

4.6 liters = 2300hp.

thats right, the block in my car can handle 2300 hp when prepped. and i paid 165.00 for the core motor i rebuilt. my ported heads flow as more than enough to make that kind of power out of only 4.6 liters. john doesnt do anything super special wi tht eh heads. they are killer when modded.
john does not run a teksid. they avoid teksids.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
john does not run a teksid. they avoid teksids.
What makes John's power and speed so impressive is the small displacement and stock source for major portions of his engine program. Displacement is 282 ci--call it a stock 4.6 liters--using a stock aluminum Cobra block; stock old-style, "B" dual-port, Four-Valve cylinder heads, as found in a '95 Lincoln; and a stock 4.6 Cobra crankshaft.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_07.html

there is the article of using a teksid.

this is johm talking about iron blocks breaking at 700rwhp. which is common. using iron is a disaster.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...133#post467133

i guess ill ask john what he uses.

Last edited by assasinator; 02-13-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:20 PM
9 Second Club

4.6 liters = 2300hp.

Can someone post the dyno vid of the 2300HP this guy is talking about? The OP dyno vid still bores the **** out of me. So does a stock LSX or most stock motors.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sure, here is champion john mihovetz's 4.6 liter, big block killer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAnB6LzdYNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOY1IfPFzd0&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RskH8wXqgkY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATMFl...eature=related

is that enough vids of his car? He owns accufab. lots of people run his parts.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

There are also 4 cyl cars running 6 seconds as well. WTFC's.. It's all about how much money you want to toss into it.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
My point was that Mihovetz has gone 6.30's with a small cube engine and we have people here with 13 second cars calling the 4.6 junk, which
is ironic in itself.
Um those 13 second cars are apples to Aircraft Carriers compairing the two. Not sure what your point is. Stock for stock the LSX engine is better than the 4.6.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
There are also 4 cyl cars running 6 seconds as well. WTFC's.. It's all about how much money you want to toss into it.
lol yea...look up brent rau. 6 sec 4g63. look up john shep for a 7 sec 4g thats "streetable" lol.

For some reason I read this whole thread, its the worst. bottom line....in like 2 minutes ima go for a drive and love it
Old 02-13-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What makes John's power and speed so impressive is the small displacement and stock source for major portions of his engine program. Displacement is 282 ci--call it a stock 4.6 liters--using a stock aluminum Cobra block; stock old-style, "B" dual-port, Four-Valve cylinder heads, as found in a '95 Lincoln; and a stock 4.6 Cobra crankshaft.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec.../photo_07.html

there is the article of using a teksid.

this is johm talking about iron blocks breaking at 700rwhp. which is common. using iron is a disaster.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...133#post467133

i guess ill ask john what he uses.
I misspoke when I said cobra iron I meant cobra aluminum. Dont need to ask John when George spells it all out.
Originally Posted by George Klass
John has never run any block but the Cobra, or sometimes a Navigator, etc. Teksid blocks are way overrated.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
Um those 13 second cars are apples to Aircraft Carriers compairing the two. Not sure what your point is. Stock for stock the LSX engine is better than the 4.6.
the point is who gives two ***** about stock, stock isnt the topic here.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unit213
Did I say anything about price? The guy clearly doesn't understand the capability of a small cube 4.6. It doesn't matter at all that it's Ford either.
The whole "there's no replacement for displacement" debate is what I was referring to and it's an archaic argument given the technology we have
today. My point was that Mihovetz has gone 6.30's with a small cube engine and we have people here with 13 second cars calling the 4.6 junk, which
is ironic in itself.
Don'l look into this too deeply man haha. Keeping everything else equal, the large displacement the more power.

Today we can have smaller engines put out more power due to FI / different designs etc, but if you make the EXACT same motor but one 6 liters and one 5 liters, the 6 liter will make more output.

I know you already know this, but then again I don't know why this argument always comes up, lol.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CranMaro99

I know you already know this, but then again I don't know why this argument always comes up, lol.
cause I said it and everyone started buggin out hahahaha
Old 02-14-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
Don'l look into this too deeply man haha. Keeping everything else equal, the large displacement the more power.

Today we can have smaller engines put out more power due to FI / different designs etc, but if you make the EXACT same motor but one 6 liters and one 5 liters, the 6 liter will make more output.

That might be the most worthless comment of this entire thread...
Old 02-14-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ke^in
I think the reason why Mustangs sound a bit different than the fbodies do is the dual muffler setup. As long as it has that..
actually, im pretty sure its because of the firing order... which ford did an awesome job of making a car sound sweet!

im a chevy guy for sure, but absolutely love the sound of a mustang over an fbody.

on topic, the new 5.0 is sick, glad to see it back.. and looks like it will make some nice power, but hell everything these days comes with an assload of crank hp... **** even my moms maxima has "290 hp"

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang 5.0L V8 Dyno Test