Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

motortrend: mustang GT beats SS and SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:36 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Good points.

As for calling loyalty and blindness the same thing?
I'm pretty sure that's not exactly what was meant by it but just in case....
I suppose loyalty and faithfulness to one's spouse is just blindness?
How about to one's children?
How about loyalty to one's nation, abiding by it's laws and supporting it's administration and military, is that just mere blindness too?
I see very few flaws in being loyal to something/someone as long as it doesn't harm the general population/society or break it's laws.
Is loyalty to a spouse that doesn't love you anymore and cheats on you blindness? Yes
I don't have kids.
Loyalty to your nation depends on how the nation is treating you. Don't forget that the only reason we live in the United States instead of England #2 is because people revolted against the government that they thought was doing them harm. IE; not loyal.

Granted these are all extreme examples, but so is you inferring that somebody not buying a Ford because it's a Ford is the same as not being faithful to your spouse or country. Personally I think that was a stupid direction to take it.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:39 PM
***Repost Police***

And if you want to bring up the sports team thing, that's fine. I can be the biggest Maverick's fan in the world, but I still have to admit that they aren't the best team in the league. If you're a hardcore Blue's fan, you would still have to admit that there are teams (Redwings, for example) that are better. Your choice to support the team would only be rational to you, and you would be unable to blame somebody for finding fault in your support of said team.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bad2000z
Good post ^^
That is the truth! One thing I admire about ford guys is their loyalty. Even with all the **** they have produced/rebadged over the last decade they still have loyal people. Much more than I can say reading these threads the last few weeks about the mustang. What the hell happened to GM loyalty? "Oh damn a new hyped 5.0!" Wow last time I read about a car with this much hype it was a fail. Hope the same now. Al block with no ability to expand. Sounds promising.. Flame suit on, but this should be fun.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
That is the truth! One thing I admire about ford guys is their loyalty. Even with all the **** they have produced/rebadged over the last decade they still have loyal people. Much more than I can say reading these threads the last few weeks about the mustang. What the hell happened to GM loyalty? "Oh damn a new hyped 5.0!" Wow last time I read about a car with this much hype it was a fail. Hope the same now. Al block with no ability to expand. Sounds promising.. Flame suit on, but this should be fun.
Agreed 100%. I do admire it on some level too. Ford gave the earlier Mustangs the original 5.0, a motor that can break in half at 500 hp, and the Ford enthusiast create a legacy around it, thats hard core. It would be the equivalent of Chevy sticking with the 305 in the Camaro for 30 years. If the Chevy enthusiast were as gung ho as the Ford guys we would be modding 305's.

At least they finally gave them a worthy motor. Personally I would prefer the new Mustang with an LS3 in it; Lighter,smaller dimensionally and most likely more durable than the new 5.0.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by TT632
Agreed 100%. I do admire it on some level too. Ford gave the earlier Mustangs the original 5.0, a motor that can break in half at 500 hp, and the Ford enthusiast create a legacy around it, thats hard core. It would be the equivalent of Chevy sticking with the 305 in the Camaro for 30 years. If the Chevy enthusiast were as gung ho as the Ford guys we would be modding 305's.
Wow can you imagine if GM never offered anything better than the 305? I now have alot of sympathy for Mustang guys. We've been basking in the power of the LS motors, while they've been stuck with the 5.0 and 4.6. Well at least they had the Terminator on their side...even for two years of production, that's a big boost (no pun intended). Still, i'm proud to say that Ford is an American company, and i'm very excited to see that they put their game face on this time around. This is a formidable opponent, and I hope GM is up to the challenge.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not a Ford guy at all, but the General is also a master at "rebadging" and is now paying the price. They took Saturn, their only plausible economy car division, and turned it into rebadged Suvs, and Crossovers. At the end, they werent even making any Saturns in the "world class" factory that was designed to make only Saturns. The Cadillac XLR? I mean seriously why would you buy a slower version of the corvette, for 25% greater cost?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Late seeing this but looks like the Camaro fired the first shot, and the Stang came firing back. Hopefully GM and Chrysler both will upgrade their respective pony car's soon.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96RamAirTA
what is this Gen V LS everyone keeps talking about
It's the new engine GM racing is using in the Corvettes return to LeManns.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Personally I think that was a stupid direction to take it.
Well, of course you'd think that LOL, but that still doesn't necessarily make it the wrong direction.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:48 AM
***Repost Police***

So (theoretically) if somebody said "I will only buy _____ for the rest of my life, no matter how good/bad it or, and no matter how much better/cheaper the alternatives are," you wouldn't find a bit of blind ignorance in that?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 AM
10 Second Club

That is the truth! One thing I admire about ford guys is their loyalty. Even with all the **** they have produced/rebadged over the last decade they still have loyal people. Much more than I can say reading these threads the last few weeks about the mustang. What the hell happened to GM loyalty?
Oh I'm still GM loyal. I do like the new Mustang and have been somewhat promoting/hyping it a bit recently but I will still likely always have a Corvette in my stable regardless of whether it's parked next to my Z28 or one of these new GTs.
I like to think of myself as GM/Ford loyal.
I like Wendy's but sometimes I eat Burger King too.
I love Latinas but I'm a sucker for cute Asian girls as well.
LS1 Tech is an awesome site but I do tend to spend a little more time over at Corvette Forum.
It doesn't always have to be one or the other.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:03 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
So (theoretically) if somebody said "I will only buy _____ for the rest of my life, no matter how good/bad it or, and no matter how much better/cheaper the alternatives are," you wouldn't find a bit of blind ignorance in that?
That's not exactly where I was going with that but yes, I would certainly find a good deal of closemindedness in that. And yes, I would likely find at least a bit of blind ignorance with that as well.
I see exactly that type of approach/attitude all the time among certain Honda, Toyota and BMW owners and I question/ridicule them for it constantly so I would be a hypocrite if I thought otherwise.

But interestingly, they always seem to get a free pass for thinking/feeling that way....GM and Ford owners/loyalists do not.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:53 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Hmmmm. The new Mustang GT is running 12.7s. It only took them 11 years to beat Evan Smith's 12.89 pass in a stock '99 Z28.

Seriously though, no hard feelings towards Ford here. But, I'm sick and tired of certain people on this site going on and on about how "GM needs to step it up". GM has been waaaaaay out in front on the affordable performance catagory since '98 (really, since '93). Camaro was GONE from production for 8 years and the last of that generation were still able to put a hurting on brand new Mustangs as recently as this year. It's nice to see the Mustang be competitive again. And I don't see a clear cut winner here yet, like was mentioned above we don't know if the '11 SS will have upgrades, nor have we seen enough data to call either car a winner or loser on the street. Trap speeds are too close to call without many more tests, and ETs can be all over the place with mag drivers.

That said, I like the new Mustang, I'd buy one if it weren't for the fact that I'd rather get an LS3 C6 next.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Wow can you imagine if GM never offered anything better than the 305? I now have alot of sympathy for Mustang guys. We've been basking in the power of the LS motors, while they've been stuck with the 5.0 and 4.6. Well at least they had the Terminator on their side...even for two years of production, that's a big boost (no pun intended). Still, i'm proud to say that Ford is an American company, and i'm very excited to see that they put their game face on this time around. This is a formidable opponent, and I hope GM is up to the challenge.
Fortunately, Ford and the the Mustang specifically seem to be the main driver in getting GM to respond quickly on the Camaro. Ford on the other hand, like you pointed out above, responds with a 5.0, then a 4.6 to combat the 350, then the LS series of engines. Different market though, maybe the new 5.0 will be a worthy competitor.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont like MT! "the streering wheel is to thick ..the shifter is to big"? thats why it is in 3rd?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95formulalt1
i dont like MT! "the streering wheel is to thick ..the shifter is to big"? thats why it is in 3rd?
Cars today are apparently so good that small subjective things like this are the only basis that cars are compared on in MT, C&D, Automobile, & R&T. Don't read the articles just compare the specs and decide which one you like the best. Car comparo's are crap in mag's these days.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

i dont like MT! "the streering wheel is to thick"
Ironically, I've always been a fan of thicker aftermarket steering wheels because in my opinion most factory/OEM wheels have grips that are way too thin so I don't see how that is even a negative LOL.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:37 PM
***Repost Police***

It's just their personal preference. It's up to the reader to go test drive and see what they like better. But these cars are so close in performance it really is gonna come down to the details.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Ironically, I've always been a fan of thicker aftermarket steering wheels because in my opinion most factory/OEM wheels have grips that are way too thin so I don't see how that is even a negative LOL.
i agree.
could he be that guy from the BK commercials with the lil bitch hands?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Launching!

i agree.
could he be that guy from the BK commercials with the lil bitch hands?
He should have tested a camaro with the booster seat option. They give the camaro good reviews one day and bad the next... They all have the pros and cons, but this guy went off in the deep end with his negative comments. I would be happy with any of those cars. I personally think the SRT8 did have the best exhaust note.

I just appreciate that 400hp plus cars like these are still being made. More hp and more mpg is a great thing. Love that technology.

Quick Reply: motortrend: mustang GT beats SS and SRT8