Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - 2011 Dodge Durango

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Revealed - 2011 Dodge Durango

Dodge Brand Product Onslaught Begins: Introducing the All-new 2011 Dodge Durango, the Performance SUV with a Soul

September 2, 2010 , Auburn Hills, Mich.

Buckle in and hold tight. Dodge is jumping back into the sport utility (SUV) segment with the 2011 Dodge Durango, a three-row vehicle spacious enough to carry the entire crew and performance-tuned to thrill anyone who truly loves to drive. Durango will lead the Dodge brand's new product onslaught for 2011.

From its sleek exterior design to its modern, spacious interior, and intelligent, fuel-efficient and powerful powertrain options, the 2011 Dodge Durango is all-new from the inside out. And the changes are more than skin deep. The Durango's stiffened unibody structure is engineered with the driving enthusiast in mind. The end result is a vehicle that delivers premium driving performance combined with SUV capability and crossover versatility.

The all-new Durango features two engine options: the standard fuel-efficient 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine and the available 5.7-liter HEMI engine with fuel-saving, Multi-displacement system (MDS) four-cylinder mode. Both engines feature variable-valve timing (VVT) and are available with all-wheel drive. In addition to great efficiency, the engines provide exceptional V-6 and V-8 towing capability with standard trailer sway control (V-8 - 7,400 lbs. and Best-in-class V-6 – 6,200 lbs.). When equipped with the HEMI® V-8, the all-new Durango can tow more weight than a 24-foot boat and trailer.

The Durango's all-new interior is a surprise owners always deserved but never expected. Created by the same interior design studio that designed the much-lauded interior in the Ram trucks and the all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee, the Durango's luxurious interior materials and thoughtful touches will make owners and their crews want to jump in, hunker down and thoroughly enjoy even the longest drive. Everywhere they touch, Durango passengers will feel materials that are refined and soft to the touch. Not only is it a pleasure to behold, it is extremely functional and gives owners a first-class experience, regardless of the trim level. Durango's interior is also extremely comfortable for all three rows of passengers, and there's a surprising amount of interior flexibility. With 22 different seating configurations, there's plenty of room to store and move plenty of people and their gear.

The all-new 2011 Dodge Durango also offers consumers 45 safety and security features, including standard front seat-mounted side air bags and standard side-curtain air bags that cover passengers in all three rows, as well as all-new standard active head restraints. Electronic Stability Control also is standard. Other available safety and security technologies include Blind-spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Path detection, Forward Collision Warning, Adaptive Cruise Control and Keyless Enter-n' Go.

The best part is, consumers will get all of the all-new Durango's capability, functionality and flexibility and still get excellent fuel efficiency. In fact, drivers can go more than 500 miles, that's the distance from San Diego to San Francisco or from Detroit to New York City, without having to stop for fuel.

Built at the Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit, Mich., the new 2011 Dodge Durango arrives in showrooms in the fourth quarter of 2010.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good, but why does it say Citadel?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Veteran

According to Allpar new Dodges are going to adopt old-school style trim level names to replace SE and SXT. The Durango Citadel is shown here. The other trim levels are Express, Crew, Heat and R/T.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Launching!

im loving the look. just my 2 cents. i see a little bit of GMC denali styling cues, but maybe thats just me
Old 09-03-2010, 02:29 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Nice.

Originally Posted by the jester 812
im loving the look. just my 2 cents. i see a little bit of GMC denali styling cues, but maybe thats just me
Same here, I see a little GM/Trailblazer (Saab SUV?) in it as well.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

good, because the current durango's are *** ugly. Much needed improvements

I do DD a 2000 Durango with 160k on the clock and its held up great.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lovin the plasti-chrome. haha

I highly doubt it will be good on gas. I mean my 300c hemi gets maybe 2 more mpg with the multi displacement system. And it seems that v6 would be underpowered for this mammoth. But tech is moving along so I may be wrong.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Looks sharp WTF is going on in Detriot lately, whatever it is I like it.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice. I'd love to see the upgraded/refreshed interior. I'd love to see one of these parked in my garage.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

High res photos courtesy of Autoblog.

Love the blackout treatment on the R/T.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty damn nice.....
Old 11-20-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Starting to look more like a crossover than an SUV. It looks great though.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Teching In

I like it. Big improvement over the last turd. I hope it's the same HP/TQ ratings as the Ram. My father-in-law had the old hemi ram and the new ones are soo much faster and better riding. It's like it's came from completely different company.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Elegant and relevant: Dodge leaps back into the thick of the SUV game

BY STEVE SILER
November 2010

We’ll cut to the chase: This 2011 Dodge Durango is the brand’s best vehicle not called Charger. After a two-year hiatus, the Durango is back, with a unibody design based on the same underpinnings that spawned Jeep’s stellar 2011 Grand Cherokee, which came in tops in its first comparo. As handsome as the last one was ugly, the 2011 Durango offers rear- or all-wheel drive, standard seven-butt seating (the Jeep is shorter and seats only five), a swank soft-touch and chrome-trimmed interior, and assembly quality that rivals anything else in the segment. Dodge is nonetheless positioning it as a performance-oriented alternative to the current segment offerings, a claim backed up by the retention of rear-wheel drive and the resurrection of the Durango R/T, which nabs a standard Hemi V-8, unique exhaust tuning, sportier monochrome styling, and a lowered, handling tuned suspension.

Enjoyable to Drive, for a Big ’Un

We sampled V-6– and V-8–powered Durangos on the roads in and around Napa Valley, California, and as with the new Grand Cherokee, the Teutonic foundations—the architecture will also be put to work under the next Mercedes M-class—pay big dividends in the driving department. The base 290-hp, 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 is quiet and smooth, although it needs to be revved to its 6400-rpm redline to access all 290 hp. Its torque peak of 260 lb-ft is also somewhat high at 4800 rpm, so we often found ourselves deep in the throttle in our attempt to drive with any sense of spirit. With 360 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque at a more accessible 5150 and 4250 rpm, respectively, the Hemi V-8 makes for brisker acceleration, with an extroverted muscle car rumble replacing the V-6’s mechanized whir.

We didn’t have time to strap on test gear to any vehicles, but we expect the heavier Durango to add 0.2 to 0.3 second to the 0-to-60-mph times we’ve attained from Grand Cherokees with similar powertrains (we recorded 8.4 seconds in V-6 Laredo trim and 7.5 seconds in V-8 Overland regalia, both with four-wheel drive). Chrysler plans to swap both vehicles’ five-speed automatics for a ZF-designed, Chrysler-built eight-speed transmission.

Thanks to its unibody architecture, nearly 50/50 weight distribution, and more carlike driving position, brisk runs along mountain roads in a Durango are possible and even sort of enjoyable. The steering provides actual road feel, and the brakes grab with reassuring linearity. Body motions are mannerly, allowing us to take corners at speeds we would never have attempted in the old Durango, as well as cruise at triple-digit speeds with no drama. Even more impressive is its ride smoothness, which is even better than the Grand Cherokee’s on account of the Dodge’s five-inch-longer wheelbase.

So Many Competitors. How Does It Fare?

The Durango’s four trim levels and $12,000 base-price spread give it a huge competitive set. The base Express and mid-grade Crew models will provide stiff competition for other large three rowers like the Ford Flex, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, Honda Pilot, and Mazda CX-9, all of which are V-6–powered with output and fuel-economy figures similar to the Durango V-6’s. None of them, however, offers a V-8 or rear-wheel drive. We surmise Ford Expedition and Chevy Tahoe shoppers will check out this Dodge too. Those folks in particular might be interested in the Durango’s maximum towing capacities, which are 6200 pounds for V-6 models and 7400 pounds (7200 pounds with 4WD) for V-8 models.

Direct competitors for the more athletic R/T are few and are perhaps limited to—in terms of driving dynamics, anyway, and we’re stretching here—the Ford Edge Sport, which has only two rows of seats and 55 fewer hp from its V-6. Finally, at the acme of the Durango food chain, the dressy, top-shelf Citadel model will take on the Buick Enclave and Lincoln MKT in V-6 form—offering more involving dynamics and snappier styling than either—and the Citadel V-8 will cast sideways glances at the pricier GMC Yukon Denali.

The vehicle we expect will be most cross-shopped with the Durango, however, has yet to go on sale. The 2011 Ford Explorer, which also has made the unibody conversion for 2011 (albeit with front-wheel-drive, car-based architecture), will stare down the Durango with multiple efficiency-minded engines and the new MyFord Touch infotainment interface.

See Ya Soon

The new Durango will be in showrooms by the end of the year, starting at $30,045 for the V-6–only Express, which includes 18-inch wheels, cloth seats, and some surprising features like remote start, three-zone climate control, a fold-flat front passenger seat, trailer-sway control, and hill-start assist. The $34,045 Crew model adds a 28-gig infotainment system with a nine-speaker Alpine audio and 6.5-inch touchscreen, keyless entry and start, a power liftgate, a roof rack, and the option to add the $5000 CrewLux package that nabs 20-inch wheels, a Garmin-powered navigation system, leather seating with heaters for the first two rows, rain-sensing wipers, and automatic high-beams. The cushy Citadel is priced at $42,645, bringing ventilated front seats, nappa leather upholstery, 20-inch chrome-clad wheels, parking and blind-spot assistance, rear cross-path detection, and adaptive cruise control. The R/T is equipped much like the Crew, with its racier bits adding a reasonable $2000 or so, putting it at $36,315. All-wheel drive is available on every model for a $2000 premium, and the Hemi is a $1495 option for the Crew and Citadel. All-wheel-drive Hemi versions will have a low-range transfer case.

The Durango—like other recent Chrysler products—has sprung back into relevance in a big way. And although we didn’t miss it while it was gone, we’re glad it’s back.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As we are going to be looking at replacing the HHR-SS in the next 2-3 years, this looks like something we could get into. The wife wants something bigger than the HHR, as we have the dog and new baby. She really wants a Tahoe, but I don't care for a Tahoe unless it's an LTZ model or loaded LT. So, you're looking at a $50K+ vehicle. Oucha! The Durango and new Grand Cherokee look like winners and are bigger than our HHR-SS and less expensive than the Tahoe and Yukon.

Maybe than can toss in a Challenger SRT to sweeten the deal!!

Last edited by BAD2000TA; 11-25-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

I'd rather just get a Grand Cherokee.
Better looking in every way IMO.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:11 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
As we are going to be looking at replacing the HHR-SS in the next 2-3 years, this looks like something we could get into. The wife wants something bigger than the HHR, as we have the dog and new baby. She really wants a Tahoe, but I don't care for a Tahoe unless it's an LTZ model or loaded LT. So, you're looking at a $50K+ vehicle. Oucha! The Durango and new Grand Cherokee look like winners and are bigger than our HHR-SS and less expensive than the Tahoe and Yukon.

Maybe than can toss in a Challenger SRT to sweeten the deal!!
Honestly man, I would try and get a Tahoe... I've driven GM's newer SUVs and ridden in tons of them, and I've been very impressed.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Taking a Page From Brett Favre's Playbook

After two years of retirement, the seven-passenger Durango is back — this time as a large unit-body SUV.

By Erin Riches, Senior Editor | Published Nov 15, 2010

Two years ago, the Dodge Durango retired. There was no fancy send-off. Chrysler's Newark, Delaware, assembly plant shut its doors, and as far as we know, nobody got to move to Palm Springs.

Now the retirement is over. Like Brett Favre coming back for another year on the gridiron, the Dodge Durango is being built once again, although this time it's at the automaker's Jefferson North plant in Detroit.

Unlike Mr. Favre, though, the Durango didn't have to switch teams to make a comeback. It's still a Dodge, not a Ram. It's still a large, seven-passenger SUV, too.

Bones of a Mercedes

This is the face of the Durango Crew; you get a different fascia and paint treatment on each trim level.

But unlike some mangled quarterback, the 2011 Dodge Durango has a new set of bones. Dodge ditched the old Durango's arcane body-on-frame structure, replacing it with the unit-body architecture already used on the Jeep Grand Cherokee. This one change should increase the Durango's life expectancy by at least five years and make it far more viable as a 21st-century family vehicle.

Although it shares its basic structure with the midsize Jeep, the 2011 Dodge Durango has nearly the same wheelbase (119.8 inches) and track (64 inches front and rear) as the old Durango. So it's still not a midsize.

But the beauty of the new chassis, which has much in common with the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class, is that you're scarcely aware of all that mass when you're going around a corner. Indeed, we're blithely ignorant of our 2011 Dodge Durango test vehicle's 4,800 pounds as we speed along California's Highway 1 until we notice our passengers' woozy expressions. "Pull over, please," we hear from the backseat.

So we made our passenger carsick, but the Durango is truly at ease through Highway 1's tight turns. The 2011 model's stiffer structure (more torsionally rigid than the big Benz SUV, we're told) allowed the Dodge engineers to tune the SUV's fully independent suspension with more precision. The upshot is that the new Durango feels steady and controlled over bumps and ruts that would have had the old truck bouncing and fumbling to regain its composure.

If sharp handling is somehow your priority in buying a large SUV, Dodge will eventually offer an R/T model with an even more aggressive setup than our workaday Durango Crew tester. Slated to arrive later in 2011, the Dodge Durango R/T will feature stickier tires along with an 0.8-inch lower ride height and Nivomat load-leveling shock absorbers in the rear. Nivomats are cool, and fortunately, they're also included on any 2011 Durango with the optional tow package.

Another significant change on the 2011 Dodge Durango is the use of an electric motor to drive the hydraulic power steering pump. Effort levels feel about right, but as on any heavy SUV, steering feel is absent. The steering ratio (19.1:1) and 3.67 turns lock-to-lock are pretty close to the old Durango's numbers.

She's Not So Quick

Built on a stretched version of the Grand Cherokee platform, the 2011 Dodge Durango finally offers the composed ride expected of a modern utility vehicle.

We end up working our 2011 Dodge Durango's 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 pretty hard on our scenic drive. Low-end torque is not a strong suit of this 290-horsepower engine, which is standard in our midrange Durango Crew model (and the base Express and top-of-the-line Citadel trims). Acceleration is adequate when you're driving on normal highways, however, and there's little reason to sweat a probable low-9-second 0-60-mph time in a family vehicle.

Until we made everyone sick, we were all clucking over the new interior in the 2011 Dodge Durango. Fuel consumption is more in line with a typical household budget, too, as Dodge estimates the V6 Durango will earn an EPA mileage rating of 16 city and 23 highway mpg — a huge improvement over the 14/20 rating on a 2009 Durango with the old 3.7-liter V6.

A five-speed automatic transmission drives our Durango tester's rear wheels; a light-duty, single-speed all-wheel-drive system will cost you $2,000 and 1 highway mpg (16/20 predicted rating). If you want a full-on four-wheel-drive system with low-range gearing, you'll need to step up to the 5.7-liter V8, which is optional on Crew and Citadel models and standard on the R/T.

Still marketed as a Hemi, the 5.7-liter is rated at 360 hp at 5,150 rpm and 390 pound-feet of torque at 4,250 rpm. It, too, comes with a five-speed automatic, and will likely earn 14/20 (2WD) and 13/20 (4WD) EPA ratings. Eventually, a ZF eight-speed automatic transmission will replace both five-speeds in the Durango, but Dodge isn't saying when.

Dodge is keeping things simple with the final drives, offering 3.06 rear gears with the V6 and 3.47 with the V8, regardless of whether you get the tow package. The automaker claims a 6,200-pound tow rating on V6-equipped 2011 Dodge Durangos and 7,400 pounds with the V8.

Bring Your Crew to My Citadel

Dodge shoveled out all the plastic from the 2009 Durango and replaced it with high-quality materials no matter which trim level you choose.

Until we made everyone sick, we were all clucking over the new interior in the 2011 Dodge Durango. While the old Durango's cabin hit some pretty low lows on the cost-cutting spectrum, this new one achieves quite a few highs.

There's no groundbreaking design here, but the dash is shapely and attractive, and every surface we touch is supple and sufficiently upscale for a vehicle line stretched across the $30,000-$45,000 price range. Most photos show the high-end Napa leather in the Citadel model, which starts at $42,645, but the cloth upholstery in our $34,740 Crew tester is quite nice, too.

The Durango's electronics aren't quite as slick as the stuff in the 2011 Charger (with its 8.4-inch touchscreen), but you're not going to miss out on modern realities like iPod integration, a keyless ignition, adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring or a back-up camera with rear cross-traffic detection — so long as you're willing to pay (extra) for them.

The Durango's front seats are predictably roomy and comfortable. During our turn in the second row, we determine that legroom is adequate, but not plentiful for a 5-foot-10 adult. Overall comfort is so-so due to flat cushioning, but at least the 60/40 seatbacks recline.

The third row only seats two and is unapologetically tween-size. Wisely, Dodge has designed a low-effort, one-yank fold-and-flip mechanism for the second-row seats, so your 10-year-old can access the third row without any help. Mercifully, triple-zone air-conditioning is standard on all 2011 Durangos. Sirius Backseat TV is included with the optional rear entertainment system for those of you bent on raising couch potatoes.

Maximum cargo capacity is 84.5 cubic feet — far less than the 102 cubic feet Dodge claimed on the old Durango, but we suspect a different measuring protocol was used, as it doesn't appear that much smaller.

Better Off Than Favre?

Dodge claims a 6,200-pound tow capacity even for the V6-equipped Durango, so yes, you could trailer a Viper ACR-X to the track.

There's little doubt that the 2011 Dodge Durango rights most of the wrongs of the 2009 Durango. Dodge has designed a serene, seven-passenger SUV that rides and handles with the grace and composure expected of a modern utility vehicle. There's now a legitimate V6 option that delivers solid mileage. Cabin furnishings, too, are now up to par with the competition, and many of the materials are nicer than what you'll find in other family-oriented SUVs.

However, the Durango has been out of the game for two years, and as Mr. Favre has shown, you can't just waltz back in and compete at a high level. Unlike last time, this Durango will be competing with the Chevrolet Traverse, now a fixture among three-row crossover SUVs, and the eagerly anticipated 2011 Ford Explorer. There's the Toyota Highlander and Mazda CX-9, too, both of which are worthy rivals.

In this group, the 2011 Dodge Durango stands apart as the lone SUV that offers a V8 option and bona fide towing capability, but it isn't the quickest or the most fuel-efficient, and it certainly doesn't have the roomiest seating. Yep, the road back from retirement is going to be tough.

First Impression: The 2011 Dodge Durango is vastly more pleasant to drive than its predecessor, but the competition isn't just going to lay down for its triumphant return from retirement.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it. Good lookin' SUV
Old 11-27-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

It looks like a friggin Audi or some **** The interior looks really nice And why no baby V8. The older 4.7 runs good and sounds damn good with a cat-back. I wouldn't want a muffler on a Pentastar 6er or whatever. I understand thats a better "global" motor but ****.

Quick Reply: Revealed - 2011 Dodge Durango