Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

V6 F150 creams the V8 competition

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys still getting red faced over a turbo-six powered pick-up? Really, if you think it's going to flop......let it flop. Pooping all over the idea before it hits the market just puts egg all over your face if it actually takes off and does well. I seem to recall this same thing happening around here with the new 5.0 Mustang. Alot of backpedaling, excuse making, and raging came about because it turned out to be more than a tapped-out mid 13 second wonder turd that couldn't hang a corner and only managed 19 mpg.

Ford's trying something new, fellas. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. Let's wait and see.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ummm....
This engine is a win any way you look at it.
What Ford does with it and puts it in is a different story.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
You guys still getting red faced over a turbo-six powered pick-up? Really, if you think it's going to flop......let it flop. Pooping all over the idea before it hits the market just puts egg all over your face if it actually takes off and does well. I seem to recall this same thing happening around here with the new 5.0 Mustang. Alot of backpedaling, excuse making, and raging came about because it turned out to be more than a tapped-out mid 13 second wonder turd that couldn't hang a corner and only managed 19 mpg.

Ford's trying something new, fellas. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. Let's wait and see.

LoL, that's exactly what I was thinking when I read this thread. I remembered just earlier this year when a thread on here had a crew of people saying that the new 5.0 wouldn't respond to mods because it was all tapped out from Ford.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Ummm....
This engine is a win any way you look at it.
What Ford does with it and puts it in is a different story.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand i'm going to agree with you once more...which is weird. Love the engine, hate this "let's try it in a truck" idea.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of misinformation about the Ecoboost in here..Just sayin'...
Old 12-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Thought about thread enlightenment?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by unit213
Lots of misinformation about the Ecoboost in here..Just sayin'...
Then enlighten us, why even bother to post in here jsut to rub it in our faces that you know more than us. Theres no point in even posting what you did. You might change some peoples opinion given the fact there is relatively little info out there via a google search. Obviously none of us spend a lot of quality time on a Ford forum where there might be more inside info. Cough it up.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Then enlighten us, why even bother to post in here jsut to rub it in our faces that you know more than us. Theres no point in even posting what you did. You might change some peoples opinion given the fact there is relatively little info out there via a google search. Obviously none of us spend a lot of quality time on a Ford forum where there might be more inside info. Cough it up.
No matter how correct this information is few will be convinced. You could spell out the secrets of time travel and 3/4ths of this forum would call bullshit because its a Delorean and not a GM vehicle.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres no point in even posting what you did.
Oh, there absolutely was a point to my post. You just don't know how to read between the lines.
I'm a little more savvy that you might think.

There's no point in me explaining anything or providing real world experience since some of the people
in this thread have blinders on and they aren't typically open to new thoughts, ideas, or input. I'd rather
spend my time elsewhere, but I did post a little jab since I see incorrect information posted so often by
certain individuals (who often think they are experts, when in fact they aren't).
Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
No matter how correct this information is few will be convinced. You could spell out the secrets of time travel and 3/4ths of this forum would call bullshit because its a Delorean and not a GM vehicle.
There will always be brand nut-swingers that will accept no truth that is detrimental to their favored brand. You should know this well since you yourself are one of the biggest examples of this. but there are still guys here, such as myself, that are generally interested in discussing the merits of this engine. we would prefer to get our facts from guys like unit who actually own examples of the motor in question, and not Ford fanboys such as yourself.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ oh snap!

I love all good engines,ecoboost being one. I've experienced everything from turbo 4s, supercharged 6s, and big block v8s. However this enginei
Isn't the end all, be all that everyone seems to be exclaiming. Ill stick by my thought until otherwise proven wrong as slapping turbos on a small engine to make big engine power is nothing new. As such, this engine won't be much different in the areas being argued, within this thread, as any similar engine before it.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
Oh, there absolutely was a point to my post. You just don't know how to read between the lines.
I'm a little more savvy that you might think.

There's no point in me explaining anything or providing real world experience since some of the people
in this thread have blinders on and they aren't typically open to new thoughts, ideas, or input. I'd rather
spend my time elsewhere, but I did post a little jab since I see incorrect information posted so often by
certain individuals (who often think they are experts, when in fact they aren't).
Are you thinking, what I believe you are indeed, thinking? Good thinking then! LOL!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justin455
^ oh snap!
he's just made his utter bullshit of the 5.3 making torque earlier was exposed.

his arguments are all out of his ***, and once again the pot calls the kettle black with blinders.

I love all makes and models, just started a BBO g body budget build for the hell of it in fact
Old 12-15-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
The Ecoboost is not going to get "great" gas mileage. The Taurus SHO is mustering a (real world) best of 22-24mpg highway, and most owners are seeing averages (mixed driving) in the 17-19mpg range. So expect more like 15-16mpg average in the F150. Try towing with it, and lose another 4-5mpg. Basically, you're looking at the gas mileage of a V8 with only six cylinders worth of torque. The turbos certainly do a good job of making up for it, but you are still going to have some lag, so you WILL be reminded that you are driving a six cylinder regardless of the top end power.

And again, I can't put enough emphasis on the effect that this being a "six cylinder" truck will have on sales. I really think it's going to be a rough road for this truck if Ford is even going ahead with it. I will say however, that I would certainly consider it at the right price point...however I know what this engine is all about, it's not JUST a six cylinder motor to me. The general public will need alot of education from Ford's marketing.

Yessir.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/14/r...verado-and-gm/
that link just says they are spending money to update. you act like you know something.

yeah man, i know what you mean. there are all kinds of turbo 6 cylinders that cant sell. and they are weak man. like 400+hp weak.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Reading comprehension isnt a skill you have is it? Thats why I said they will ahve to CONTINUE relying on their commercial gimmicks to sell trucks. GM has continually outpaced them in every performance aspect. They put up all these good numbers but dont deliver. Hell look at the pitiful excuse for a diesel motor Ford just put out. Yeah its rated at 400/800 which is the best ratings in the industry yet the LML ran circles around it unloaded and loaded with better acceleration, towing ability and MPG. Sorry I dont just read press releases and believe it. Then this year Ford catches GM right before they unleash all the new GEN V stuff and tout it as the savior to the truck people I dont believe it.

The ecoboost is nice I havent said once its not, there just isnt a place for it. People who want mileage arent going to pay the premium for the ecoboost, people who want towing power are going to go for the one with the most power and the fact that it cost less is icing on the cake. Ford is a victim of their own creation, having all these engine choices available is only going to make it more difficult to sell an underperforming overpriced engine.

Who buys trucks for mileage? Mainly fleet companies such as mine, but we're not going to pay the premium for the ecoboost for the marginal gains over the other "small" motors they offer.

My point all along has been it doesnt deliver for the price and isnt top dog when you compare it to what GM has to offer. For the price the L92 delivers cheaper and more, yes with less mileage but if youre looking for power normally mileage isnt of upmost importance. The ecoboost is a niche powerplant. It is probably a sign of things to come, with some refinement IE more power and less upfront cost it could be a real player in the full size truck market but in its current form its destine to be an oddity.
in a TRUCK pulling a load. getting it started moving is half the battle. having full torque at 2500 is exactly what trucks are missing these days. outside of a TD you cant get that kind of stump pulling

i totally disagree with the eco-boosts best use. its for hardcore pulling stumps. 420lb-ft at 2500 will pull the hell out of things the way the same torque at 4500 WILL NOT. if i wanted to race a truck id buy a race truck.

one brand could run circles around my choice at a track and i dont care. ill just stick to 250,000 miles of pulling loads like the V10 ford/454 chevy used to. you guys can have your rediculous 6.2 ford/chevy.

i set the rpms at 2500 pulling a big hill and you set your 6.2 at 4000 and lets see which one lasts. and which one gets HOT.

ill be keeping my 454 RV. it makes power the way a truck should. down low.

Up to 90 percent of the EcoBoost truck engine’s peak, best-in-class torque of 420 lb.-ft. is available from 1,700 rpm to 5,000 rpm – all on regular fuel.

90 percent equals 378 lb-ft at 1700. thats like the old inline 6 PLUS 78 lb-ft. if you guys remember those chevy/ford inlines, they felt like bigblock off idle.

my 454 makes 410 lb-ft.

Last edited by assasinator; 12-15-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 PM

You are ignorant to how trucks function arent you? THere is a reason GM did away with the 8.1 because the 6.0 can do the same work with better mileage. Big blocks are old news bud. Nevermind the fact that Ford has continually disappointed with their marketing. For someone who is bored and a Ford fanboy that needs to be brought back to reality, the new powerstroke was suppose to be the most badass motor to ever hit the road yet it has gotten its *** handed to it on every front.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/09...ing-ranch.html
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-test?click=pp
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11...e-rockies.html
Old 12-15-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

You are ignorant to how trucks function arent you? THere is a reason GM did away with the 8.1 because the 6.0 can do the same work with better mileage. Big blocks are old news bud. Nevermind the fact that Ford has continually disappointed with their marketing. For someone who is bored and a Ford fanboy that needs to be brought back to reality, the new powerstroke was suppose to be the most badass motor to ever hit the road yet it has gotten its *** handed to it on every front.
No he's not, but for a self proclaimed pick-up know-it-all you are one ignorant mother ******. The only reason he brought up the 8.1 is because it made down low torque like this Eco-Boost does, UNLIKE the 6.0/5.3/6.2. That's the reason so many people go for TD's, for the down low torque that isn't offered anymore. Sure the 6.0 gets better MPG's than the 8.1 does, but this V6 is giving you the torque the old 8.1 had with better MPG's then the new V8s.

Anyway you want to look at it we still have to wait for this engine to come out before we know how it's really going to perform, but going off what were given it's going to be a game changer.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by gocartone
No he's not, but for a self proclaimed pick-up know-it-all you are one ignorant mother ******. The only reason he brought up the 8.1 is because it made down low torque like this Eco-Boost does, UNLIKE the 6.0/5.3/6.2. That's the reason so many people go for TD's, for the down low torque that isn't offered anymore. Sure the 6.0 gets better MPG's than the 8.1 does, but this V6 is giving you the torque the old 8.1 had with better MPG's then the new V8s.

Anyway you want to look at it we still have to wait for this engine to come out before we know how it's really going to perform, but going off what were given it's going to be a game changer.
The 8.1 was ditched because they could do the same thing with less cubes the 8100 made peak tq at 3200 and fell off quick, what does it hurt to turn some rpm if youre getting better mileage and making the same power? If these big blocks work so well why dont Ford or GM offer them anymore? The answer is quite easy but Im just a stupid "truck guy".

The same thing was said about the scorpion diesel, more power, better mileage both laoded and unloaded yet every test has shown the exact opposite. Which is why I keep saying dont believe the propaganda posted by Ford as gospel. They are good at marketing thats it. Why arent you Ford fanboys commenting on the articles Ive presented? They back up my stance that the numbers posted cant be believed as being totally true yet you guys are willing to argue it to death. Even going so far as to cuss me out because you disagree, which reminds me.

Cuss at me again and youre gone for good, it is possible to have a conversation without reverting to grade school vocabulary.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 AM
***Repost Police***

Uh oh, wielding the moderator power... the fact still remains that this engine makes more torque at lower rpm than any gas engine offered today. And if you're going to argue turbo longevity, why not do it with turbodiesels as well? I know they're built tougher, but still. There are turbodiesels with HUNDREDS of thousands of miles on them still going strong. No overheating issues, no oil issues, nothing.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Uh oh, wielding the moderator power... the fact still remains that this engine makes more torque at lower rpm than any gas engine offered today. And if you're going to argue turbo longevity, why not do it with turbodiesels as well? I know they're built tougher, but still. There are turbodiesels with HUNDREDS of thousands of miles on them still going strong. No overheating issues, no oil issues, nothing.
I dont tolerate anyone being called a mother ******, whether its me or anyone else. He got his warning, if he wants to continue with the childish remarks he can head on over to the Justin Bieber forum with the other tweens and cuss people out to his hearts content.

From what has been published it looks like it does in fact make the most low end tq which will be great, but the scorpion was suppose to be the cats meow too and fell way short. 15mph short compared to its competition that is down on power, tq and gear ratio. In general turbo diesels are very reliable but Ford doesnt have a very good track record, ask almost anyone who has owned a Ford powerstroke since 03. Ford better have atleast gotten the longevity issues fixed with the scorpion or youre going to see a lot more Dodge and GM HD trucks. None of the contractors I interact with use Ford anymore, not because of the actual truck but the motor problems theyve had.

Id like nothing more than to see this thing suceed because it would mean that GM will have to step up their game but history doesnt bode well for teh ecoboost. Atleast with the published facts that Ive seen thus far it doesnt look like its suited for a truck. Long term testing will reveal if it is worth of the price premium and if it actually performs.

Personally Id like to start out with the bigger NA motor and add FI to it if I wanted more power. Just look at what the 5.0 is doing in the mustangs, imagine 1.2 more liters of displacement

Quick Reply: V6 F150 creams the V8 competition