Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend - 2012 Ford Mustang BOSS 302 (fastest stock Mustang ever made)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
$13k more for 32 more hp, less torque and some suspension upgrades? MMMMM no thanks. I would stick with a GT.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t_numbers.html

Its not much faster than the GT motortrend tested, nor does it appear to be any lighter, or have much better lat gs. When bolt on GTs on stock wheels are hitting 11s, ford isnt doing something right with this version IMO.
Not even close to $13k more? It's about $8k more than a base GT with the Brembo package and a 3.73 rear. You can't use a base GT with out those packages as something to compare it to since they are slower in a straight line and much slower on a track. And this isn't made to be a straight line car, so of course it isn't going to be that much faster in a drag race.

And to the guys saying they would take an R8 over this car- The Boss is a little more than 1/3 the price of a base 4.2 V8 R8 ($40k vs $116k), that's like saying you would take a Ferrari 458 or a McLaren MP4-12C over a Z06 Corvette haha. And this isn't some stripped out track car, still comes with everything a base GT has (power everything, CD player, A/C).
Old 03-10-2011, 02:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
You're probably correct. The 2012 Nissan GT-R would probably beat the base Boss by about as much as that Boss beat the current GT-R.
But then there's always that Laguna Seca package.

I highly doubt that. The GT-R still has better power delivery overall as well as better braking and handling, not to mention it traps higher. Also the 2012 GT-R ran a faster times than the current Z06 Carbon around willow springs. I doubt the Boss 302 (Laguna Seca package or not) would beat either car.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gocartone
And to the guys saying they would take an R8 over this car- The Boss is a little more than 1/3 the price of a base 4.2 V8 R8 ($40k vs $116k), that's like saying you would take a Ferrari 458 or a McLaren MP4-12C over a Z06 Corvette haha. And this isn't some stripped out track car, still comes with everything a base GT has (power everything, CD player, A/C).
Fair is fair though....and if the Boss wants to be a competitor on lap times with all of these supercars, it gets to be judged on every other aspect too, regardless of price. Which is exactly why all of those supercars you mentioned cost considerably more, because they are the total package....stunning looks, amazing performance, nicely crafted interiors, and all kinds of driving enhancement goodies like launch control, electronically adjustable suspension and engine settings, and so on.

Ford chose to go after the performance and driving enhancements, but ignore the stunning looks, upscale interor, etc....exactly why it doesn't cost as much as a supercar, it isn't one.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheHitman
I highly doubt that. The GT-R still has better power delivery overall as well as better braking and handling, not to mention it traps higher. Also the 2012 GT-R ran a faster times than the current Z06 Carbon around willow springs. I doubt the Boss 302 (Laguna Seca package or not) would beat either car.
Perhaps. It's all speculation at this point so we don't know for sure...but then again at more than TWICE the price I would think it damn well should beat it.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
Which is exactly why all of those supercars you mentioned cost considerably more, because they are the total package....stunning looks, amazing performance, nicely crafted interiors, and all kinds of driving enhancement goodies like launch control
Define "amazing performance". In my (and many other's) opinion the Boss 302 (heck, even the base 2011 GT) does have amazing performance. It's just less amazing than sports cars costing $90k - million dollars more LOL.

And launch control? It's in there:
http://cars2011.net/autoblog-short-c...ar-photos.html

Ford chose to go after the performance and driving enhancements, but ignore the stunning looks, upscale interor, etc.
I wouldn't use the term 'ignore', I would say it's more like 'far less focus or attention' on some of those areas.
The performance/craftsmanship gap is not like that of comparing a 1985 Yugo to a 2011 Mercedes SLS here LOL, the Mustang GT and Boss 302 (especially with it's Recaro seat option) interiors are still very good and as for stunning looks, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, strictly subjective.
That being said do I think a Mustang GT or Boss 302 are straight up as attractive looking as say a Ferrari 458?
No.
But I still consider it a damn fine looking car with stellar performance regardless of cost.
Factor in their under $40k MSRPs for all that performance and they're downright DOMINANT in my opinion.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Ford chose to go after the performance and driving enhancements, but ignore the stunning looks, upscale interor, etc....exactly why it doesn't cost as much as a supercar, it isn't one.
Pretty sure nobody was even coming close to saying it was a supercar, as it's a $40k Mustang. Nobody is going to be cross shopping Boss 302s and R8s, two totally different markets. Compared to the Z06 and GTR it's a damn good bargin at half their cost, and don't try telling me the Z06 has a more upscale interior than the Ford.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Hell, I think an Audi TT RS would give this new Mustang Boss a hell of a fight.

The much weaker and less grippy Audi TT-S beat the base mustang around VIR, which is a notorious power track. And yet the TT-S beat it with a measly 268hp. Whah whah...

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 03-10-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Hell, I think an Audi TT RS would give this new Mustang Boss a hell of a fight.

The much weaker and less grippy Audi TT-S beat the base mustang around VIR, which is a notorious power track. And yet the TT-S beat it with a measly 268hp. Whah whah...
Being 400 pounds lighter and having AWD certainly doesn't hurt.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:16 PM
***Repost Police***

$13k more for 32 more hp, less torque and some suspension upgrades? MMMMM no thanks. I would stick with a GT.

Its not much faster than the GT motortrend tested, nor does it appear to be any lighter, or have much better lat gs. When bolt on GTs on stock wheels are hitting 11s, ford isnt doing something right with this version IMO.
Seriously? That's what you got from that article?
Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty sure nobody was even coming close to saying it was a supercar, as it's a $40k Mustang. Nobody is going to be cross shopping Boss 302s and R8s, two totally different markets. Compared to the Z06 and GTR it's a damn good bargin at half their cost, and don't try telling me the Z06 has a more upscale interior than the Ford.
my point exactly...why are we trying to compare lap times with cars that cost twice as much and are in completely different classes? No one who is in the market for an R8, GTR, ZR1, 911, etc gives a **** if the Boss gets around a track fractions of a second quicker, that they will never drive on, with a driver that has more skill than 99% of any owners will ever come close to having.

simply put, if you like the looks of the Boss and feel that its your best way to spend $40,000+ then go for it, I'm just saying there are plenty of other options out there for fun, affordable performance cars and maybe the Boss doesn't need to be viewed as the Holy Grail of fast cars.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by deft
The GTR has less hp than what now? Might want to check your specs.
I should've worded that to specify it weighs more than the others and has less power than the GT500. The previous GTR had less power, but probably would lose against the ZO6. Even so, the 2012 GTR weighs hundreds more than the ZO6 and only has a rated 25hp more. I'd take that trade any day.

I prefer the GT over this one as well, but when they dyno tested, the BOSS made more power and more torque, though torque is rated lower for whatever reason.

What did MT run? 12.8... That's 1/2 second slower. I wouldn't consider that close. I hadn't seen anything close to 12.3's until this one.

I don't see a standard GT competing well against this one on track, but I'd still rather the GT for my driving.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my point exactly...why are we trying to compare lap times with cars that cost twice as much and are in completely different classes? No one who is in the market for an R8, GTR, ZR1, 911, etc gives a **** if the Boss gets around a track fractions of a second quicker, that they will never drive on, with a driver that has more skill than 99% of any owners will ever come close to having.

simply put, if you like the looks of the Boss and feel that its your best way to spend $40,000+ then go for it, I'm just saying there are plenty of other options out there for fun, affordable performance cars and maybe the Boss doesn't need to be viewed as the Holy Grail of fast cars.
You still walking around with that Boss 302 generated chip on your shoulder? It's a Mustang. Of course it's not a "supercar". Who here is confusing that issue? Who here is touting this as the greatest handling car of all time? No one. Yet you're proceeding about your comments as if someone is. It's like you're standing up to an ignorant fanboy that hasn't even shown up yet. Jeez. All we're doing is marveling at how impressive this new Mustang model is performance-wise when compared to some higher priced sportscars that have established performance clout. It's called benchmarking.

Do you bitch this much when someone posts how well a Z06 or a ZR-1 fairs on the track compared to a 300-500K Ferrari or Lambo? Or is it only when someone posts impressive track times for a Mustang?

You say there's better ways to spend 40K and still get decent performance in something that will have better quality and better amenities. I say...no one's arguing over any one person's idea of what's "better" or "more fun". We're comparing numbers......cold hard facts. If the facts are disagreeable to you, then go read something else that makes you feel better. I get it, you don't like the Boss......or Mustangs in general......or whatever. But your opinion doesn't negate the times this car is turning in. So unless it's your opinion that these times are not that impressive, then I really don't see what you're on about.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, you know the great thing about this situation? It's that you don't HAVE to buy a Boss if you don't think it's worth it. That's why Ford makes the GT. I don't think that the GT500 and the upcoming ZL-1 are worth the nearly 50K that they will demand, but that's me. That being said, I'll still sound silly if I refer to the GT500/ZL-1 as nothing more than a GT/SS with a supercharger.

Oh, and while I know it should go without saying.....the Boss really isn't something you should be looking at if all you're worried about is 1/4 mile times and trap speeds. This is a road track car, and it will best the standard GT (and even the GT500) when it comes to hanging around the twisties.

Last edited by ThisBlood147; 03-10-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Gonna trade my 03 Mach 1 on a 11 GT in a couple of years. Let somebody else take a 10,000 loss on one.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Being 400 pounds lighter and having AWD certainly doesn't hurt.
Audi's website lists the car as weighing 3241 lbs and only has 265 hp.

Seems pretty damn impressive to me to have beaten a 3600 lb 412hp car.

Reason I say the TT-RS would have a chance is because it makes 70 more hp, weighs 100 lbs less, and is more track oriented like the Mustang Boss.

Realistically, I would expect the mustang to edge it out on everything but a very technical track though.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deelong4002
I'll tell you what I sat in both at the Autoshow. I thought the mustang felt more like a muscle car, and the Camaro felt more like it wanted to be a G8.

If i was in the market, Ford would get my money right now. Which makes me kind of sad.
Mine too, but Ford is not exactly giving the cars away. The 43k plus price tag certainly is a lot of take home money after taxes.....OUCH!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

A lot more goes into going fast around a track than being light and having power.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

for the people comparing the zl1 to the Boss the z28 will be the designated "track car" to challenge the Boss at least thats the word
Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wickedlsx
for the people comparing the zl1 to the Boss the z28 will be the designated "track car" to challenge the Boss at least thats the word
Let's hope that's correct and just as importantly, that GM looks to the aftermarket for inspiration in the handling department. Without upgrades there, hope may be lost.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wickedlsx
Lets hope it gives the Boss a challenge...cuz it is gonna get smoked by the 2013 GT500. And even then, its likely the 2013 or 2014 will get the 5.8L motor...so the ZL1 will more than likely fall slightly behind.

Last edited by 1QWIKZ; 04-26-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - 2012 Ford Mustang BOSS 302 (fastest stock Mustang ever made)