Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2013 gt500

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks nice, but it's impractical for daily driving due to poor visibility and extra fat steering wheel(which gets fixed with the new version). The 4th gen WS6 looks better to me, but I kinda like the 1st gen better and I definitely prefer the 1st over the 5th, even with the glaring similarities. After all this time, I'm still inclined to like the firechicken best(including any T/A).
Old 07-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Just wanted to point out(doesn't mean it is true) but the link I posted, was dated the same day I posted, where as the other links are dated over a year ago.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Still just a rumor.

Let me know when Ford makes an official announcement.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fastkars.com
They do, in Australia. It's called the Falcon Boss GT, it's a low compression forged Coyote motor with a TVS supercharger.

http://www.vidbb.com/vbtube_show.php...T-dyno-video-1

5.8L Coyote motor is a possibility. 2.3L TVS, likely not. That is major overkill. You talk about running less boost to reach the same power numbers, the problem is bigger blowers need to be spun harder to be within their peak efficiency range.

When you take a larger bore blower and don't spin it adequately power under the curve and torque suffer. A 1.9L TVS is probably what we will see, possibly with a 2.3L TVS FRPP available package.
The OEM is not out to set up the blower in it's peak efficiency range. The slightly lower adiabatic efficiency would be more than overcome by not compressing the air as much. As for torque, Upping the motor size by ~8% would naturally boost torque ouput some, but reducing it (in relation to horsepower) would certainly be better for drivetrain durability. I don't think anyone that has driven a GT500 has ever complained about the lack of torque, lol.
Also, the motor is not Coyote based. Not untill the body dtyle change in 2014. The current motor just gets a little bigger bore
Old 07-14-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i honestly cant wait to see a 5.8L Boss351 NA Direct injection (based off the 5.0 of course) pushing around 500HP once the style change takes place in three or so years.

a kid can dream...
Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

EXTRA! EXTRA!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/14/f...me-with-camar/

Looks like the 2013 model might only have a 20hp bump to compete with the new ZL1.
Sounds like the two cars will be just about dead even.

The 2014/5 is supposed to be a redesign and will likely have even more power.
Again, just like everything else... this is just a rumor for now.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Figured, I honestly didn't see them doing a whole new motor/setup when the new model is due out soon anyways.

Should be interesting see how it does with the ZL1.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...percharged-v-8

The UAW and Ford reached a contract agreement today that secures 12,000 new jobs in the U.S. by 2015, brings back into the U.S. previously outsourced work, and guarantees $16 billion in investments and upgrades to U.S.-based manufacturing. It also contains a small nugget about the upcoming 2013 Shelby Mustang GT500: a 5.8-liter supercharged engine.

According to the contract documents as scoured by MustangsDaily (and confirmed by us [PDF link]), part of the deal involves an upgrade at the Romeo Engine Plant to manufacture a new 5.8-liter supercharged V-8 engine that will replace the current 5.4-liter supercharged unit. The current GT500 uses the 5.4-liter aluminum-block engine.

The obvious implication is that the next GT500, which is already expected to grow in power, potentially up to 600 horsepower, will use the 5.8-liter supercharged V-8. A 400-cc increase in displacement could be enough to get the 50-plus-horsepower gains expected.

Previous reports have also hinted at precisely this upgrade, but the finding in the UAW contract documents (full contract in PDF form here) firms up the case for the larger V-8.
Interesting, may actually be true
Old 10-05-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

What a wonderful time to like muscle cars.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
EXTRA! EXTRA!!!

Looks like the 2013 model might only have a 20hp bump to compete with the new ZL1.

It will be rated closer to the ZR1 than the Zl1
Old 10-05-2011, 05:35 PM
***Repost Police***

This thing might be running 10s with just tires. These are the good ole days.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The fastest stock 2011 on tires has run 11.1s, so I think that is a safe bet
Old 10-06-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
The fastest stock 2011 on tires has run 11.1s, so I think that is a safe bet
Probably, but will it be lighter or heavier? That's always the concern since cars, particularly performance cars, seem to be getting heavier with each new styling change with few exceptions... OR they see a massive price increase to account for their lighter components.

PS... 11.1's on just tires... GOOD GAWD! That's positively impressive. I still won't buy one, but man... Some kinda quick for essentially stock.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

The rumor mill is also stating that the 5.8l will get variable cam timing as well, which would be pretty cool. I have not heard much to confirm or deny that though.
I don't think the styling change will be as drastic as the 2009-2010. Weight gas/loss will be negligible untill the "new" mustang comes out, as it loses a good bit of weight, but also size.

To me, the crazy thing as the 2.3l TVS that the 2013s will come with, will support 800whp, and upper-lower pulley combos with the other bot ons will have them well over 700whp. That is crazy to me; a bolt on, 135 mph mustang....yikes
Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriShield
They should have produced a limited production SRT10 with the 610hp Viper powertrain. That would have been extremely cool.
x1000, that would have been something to talk about

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I'm kinda hoping they can stay at least close to where they are now. Back in the 60's, the hp wars were pushing limits everywhere... Then stepped in the fed and ruined it for ALL of us for about the next 15yrs and even then, getting any kind of power basically required the aftermarket. Today we can get a car so "stupid powerful" it's like an honest to goodness weekend only race car from the early 90's. Where cars are concerned, we're in good times and my hope is that same fed doesn't ruin it all over again.
That's what I too am afraid of, it seems to happen every so often. I doubt emissions would be the excuse this time though...it'll be all about road safety . Dang kids driving daddy's car into a post seems to get the public into a frenzy.

Originally Posted by jmurray87
It really does raise the question to "when will it be to much HP??" I mean the numbers just keep going up and up it's bound to peak at some point.

70s flashback anyone?
Haha so true. It will peak when gasoline can't be found anymore. Then, it will start all over again, with totally different powerplants. Until then, let 'em rip imo!!

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
i agree these cars need to lose some weight before anything lol,gm is getting there *** kicked right now,and i dont see why 1.make camaro alot lighter 2.install ls9 3.install a ls9 lol, they need to go back to the drawing board with the camaro,
Yeah I don't see them lightening up the current zeta. I like it for a G8 type car though, but with two doors something just seems off. I don't see why they can't borrow some of the styling cues etc from the old Pontiac cars (G8, Ws6, GTO) and run with those? Not like Pontiac can sue GM

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
EXTRA! EXTRA!!!

Why don't they just worry about using the power they have and putting it to the ground properly? What's with these wheels/tires they keep throwing on?

Originally Posted by jmurray87
Figured, I honestly didn't see them doing a whole new motor/setup when the new model is due out soon anyways.

Should be interesting see how it does with the ZL1.
x2

Originally Posted by deft
What a wonderful time to like muscle cars.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yes sir, they are indeed
Originally Posted by nanokpsi
The rumor mill is also stating that the 5.8l will get variable cam timing as well, which would be pretty cool. I have not heard much to confirm or deny that though.
I don't think the styling change will be as drastic as the 2009-2010. Weight gas/loss will be negligible untill the "new" mustang comes out, as it loses a good bit of weight, but also size.

To me, the crazy thing as the 2.3l TVS that the 2013s will come with, will support 800whp, and upper-lower pulley combos with the other bot ons will have them well over 700whp. That is crazy to me; a bolt on, 135 mph mustang....yikes
Now you're talking my language!

*Been reading through this discussion and thought I may as well put in my .02 cents, until it equals a few bucks maybe lol.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Can't see any reason they wouldn't use VVT... It's going on just about everything else they use in cars.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:06 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's going to be a bad, sumamabitch!!!

Quick Reply: 2013 gt500