Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2012 Chevy Malibu teased ahead of Debut

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much improved over the ugly current model.....even if it does look like a giant Cruze.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Not bold enough. Neither is the Fusion but the Fusion outsells the Malibu handily.

GM really needs to give all Chevrolets some real style and pizazz like the Camaro.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriShield
Not bold enough. Neither is the Fusion but the Fusion outsells the Malibu handily.

GM really needs to give all Chevrolets some real style and pizazz like the Camaro.
I think it looks better than the Fusion. I'm very curious to see how the Malibu and Fusion compete during that model year. I hope GM did their home aside from looks.

I agree about GM's styling. I'm curious about the styling of the next Impala.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by texas94z
I think it looks better than the Fusion. I'm very curious to see how the Malibu and Fusion compete during that model year. I hope GM did their home aside from looks.
It's not looking good at the moment, based on simple engine options. The Fusion is apparently available with 2 V6's to compliment the standard 4cyl. drive line. It's also apparently available with AWD. The 4cyl can have a M6(standard) or an auto, which is standard in just about everything else(including the current 'bu). Price is the good part for the Chevy, but we'll have to see if that holds up when the new one goes on sale.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BanditTA
Having driven several current Malibus with the 4-cylinder I'll be the first one to say it is horrible. I'll honestly say the fuel economy of the 4 has to be substantially less then the V6 in real world driving. The 4 spends more time shifting and lugging than actually doing its job.

I bought my 2010 Malibu LT2 on the spot after test driving it. I had rented a LS model with the 4 speed, and was disappointed with the transmission/engine, but impressed with the interior and ride quality/lack of cabin noise. After driving the LT with the 6 speed, i'm happy with the ecotec's powerband and the transmission, it's got enough power for what it is. I've driven some gutless *** 4 cylinder cars, and vowed never to purchase one, but the 2.4 ecotech isn't exactly gutless, it's got more pep than my 4.3 V6 blazer. I get 34mpg on the highway, and it rides quiet and smooth. It's not a performance car, it's a comfortable sedan. Would I like it to look more aggressive? No thanks, I get enough tickets in the T/A cop magnet.. No complaints other than the unavailability of HID headlights. A turbo 4 option would be cool, as would AWD on the 2012

Last edited by 67RSCamaroVette; 04-20-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
I bought my 2010 Malibu LT2 on the spot after test driving it. I had rented a LS model with the 4 speed, and was disappointed with the transmission/engine, but impressed with the interior and ride quality/lack of cabin noise. After driving the LT with the 6 speed, i'm happy with the ecotec's powerband and the transmission, it's got enough power for what it is. I've driven some gutless *** 4 cylinder cars, and vowed never to purchase one, but the 2.4 ecotech isn't exactly gutless, it's got more pep than my 4.3 V6 blazer. I get 34mpg on the highway, and it rides quiet and smooth. It's not a performance car, it's a comfortable sedan.
That's exactly how I see the car's purpose as well.
The new one should be that and even more.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Many more pictures of it

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...nd-35-mpg.html
Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BanditTA
That's a good lookin' fuel efficient family sedan.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
That's a good lookin' fuel efficient family sedan.
For the power, I think it's fairly efficient. Still, I'll hope for the turbo version.

I like great economy, but I'll pass on it for acceptable power just about every single time. This car has enough of each(from what we're being told). It's still smaller than what I want or lacking performance depending on my category, but then... I'm not into 4dr family sedans. Folks looking for a nice family car should find this appealing. Bring on the MSRP!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by It'llrun
It's not looking good at the moment, based on simple engine options. The Fusion is apparently available with 2 V6's to compliment the standard 4cyl. drive line. It's also apparently available with AWD. The 4cyl can have a M6(standard) or an auto, which is standard in just about everything else(including the current 'bu). Price is the good part for the Chevy, but we'll have to see if that holds up when the new one goes on sale.
I heard the new Malibu was going to go 4 cylinder only, that's why I went ahead and bought a Fusion Sport last fall. The Malibu had a nicer interior and felt a little higher in quality but the Fusion has a sportier exterior IMO. The Malibu was also more expensive for the top of the line model, I believe it was the LTZ.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:54 PM
10 second playa

Nice looking car.
On the fence about the tail lights.

Interior looks busy? Will probably look better without the wood grain.

Quick Reply: 2012 Chevy Malibu teased ahead of Debut