Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - 5.8L/650hp/200+ MPH

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who cares, it's still a Ford. Might as well be a Mazda. Buy a freakin' camaro or for godsakes if you're going to spend THAT MUCH money, get a Vette =)
Old 11-16-2011, 10:00 AM
***Repost Police***

Intelligent people don't buy a car based purely on the manufacturer.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Mustang was sourced from Mazada btw.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Is that true, people with brand loyalty are not intelligent? Great to know... That is obviously something you will completely FAIL to prove.

I don't care if it beats the ZL1 by .00001 whatever in whatever category. I'm still not buying it because its Ford. This is an age old muscle car brand debate.

That doesn't have anything to do with intelligence, that is called an opinionated personal preference.

In fact, we have a different name for people who are actually brand loyal and then jump ship..
Old 11-16-2011, 10:32 AM
***Repost Police***

WTF is there to be "loyal" to?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
So you went around and checked the tires on 1000 cars? Just to prove a point that you knew you were going to have to make in the future? At what sounds like a cruise, not a drag track meet? Wow, you sure showed us!
I talking about running into one of these cars on the street, not the track. And yes, I literally did go around looking at the CARS, not just the engines. I wasn't a bit surprised to find a bunch of big power cars on all season tires. Both my cars in my sig wear nothing but drag radials on the back, and both have seen rain and snow.

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Also, just because someone has the $$$ to get their car built by someone professionally means nothing, so I don't know what point you're trying to make with that.
I clearly stated second hand, as in they are not the original owner who spent a lot of money for a new car. They bought used at a huge discount. I say this because nobody buys a $60K Mustang to beat up on a dragstrip. $60K will put you in a couple year old Z06 or GTR.

Finally, I don't need to drive a 2011 GT500 to know that a 5.8L engine with a big positive displacement blower, manual trans and 20" tires won't work on the street.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Stepped up game= yes, minus some junk parts and some **** customer service regarding them (first hand experience, not mindless "I read on the interwebz" crap)

Kicking ***= yes and no, they aren't outselling and a lot of the 5th gen owners are doing well to keep up. Kinda like comparing Machs and n/a Cobras to the ls1s when both were new...*** kicking would be more like comparing a 99 GT to a 99 ls1.

And yet again, the ZL1 is competing with the 2012 GT500, not the '13. While it is likely in 2013 your statement will be true that "Ford is kicking GM's ***", it's pretty damn close right now.
All good points.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Bein loyal to a certain make of car is like bein loyal to a football team if you like one team and have alot of merch from that team are you gonna switch teams cuz they arent doin so well at the moment ?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
So, intelligent people would never stay faithful to their spouses/significant others?
How about to the company they work for or the ball team they play for, can a person that refuses to 'sell out their boss' or throw the game for the other team never be considered intelligent?
Since when did loyalty become a bad thing.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
So, intelligent people would never stay faithful to their spouses/significant others?
How about to the company they work for or the ball team they play for, can a person that refuses to 'sell out their boss' or throw the game for the other team never be considered intelligent?
You're reading too deeply I think.

IMO a better comparison would be being brand loyal to say Coke or Pepsi. What do you get for your loyalty? Also if one changes their formula to taste like dog **** would you not drink the other due to your loyalty?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
IMO a better comparison would be being brand loyal to say Coke or Pepsi. What do you get for your loyalty?
A better looking can, a taste that you've always enjoyed, a drink that's always woken you up when ya needed it too, whatever.

Also if one changes their formula to taste like dog **** would you not drink the other due to your loyalty?
Well, in an extreme such as that, yes one would have to switch.
But, if a wife puts on 5 extra pounds one month should we just get a new one?
If your favorite major league baseball team changes the logo on their uniforms do you immediately/automatically root for the other team from that point forward?
And if so, these are considered the "intelligent" things to do?
I believe we lack enough loyalty in the world today already as it is, and now some of you are promoting/agreeing that it should be even less so?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A better looking can, a taste that you've always enjoyed, a drink that's always woken you up when ya needed it too, whatever.
How does you as an individual drinking Pepsi vs. Coke get you a better can? Did anyone's loyalty to GM get them a better looking Camaro? A lighter Camaro?

Well, in an extreme such as that, yes one would have to switch.
But, if a wife puts on 5 extra pounds one month should we just get a new one?
If your favorite major league baseball team changes the logo on their uniforms do you immediately/automatically root for the other team from that point forward?
And if so, these are considered the "intelligent" things to do?
I believe we lack enough loyalty in the world today already as it is, and now some of you are promoting/agreeing that it should be even less so?
Ok how about this: one company changes their formula and you actually enjoy the taste more i.e. it fits your needs better; do you still drink the old one "because you always have" or because you're loyal to that company?

Maybe I should clarify where I'm coming from. I don't disagree with loyalty; what I do disagree with is blind loyalty. I am more than happy to be loyal to a company that adresses my needs/wants. I do think that blind loyalty is not a good policy IMO. Was the loyalty of those who followed Hitler acceptable?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

Maybe I should clarify where I'm coming from. I don't disagree with loyalty; what I do disagree with is blind loyalty. I am more than happy to be loyal to a company that adresses my needs/wants. I do think that blind loyalty is not a good policy IMO. Was the loyalty of those who followed Hitler acceptable?
Good points.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Mustang was sourced from Mazada btw.
And your point is? Mazda has made some of the best handling cars, why would that be a bad thing?

Really? How does being loyal to your wife compare to being loyal to a car company? Unless you are working for or sponsored by GM, why only drive their cars?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gocartone
And your point is? Mazda has made some of the best handling cars, why would that be a bad thing?
The post I quoted basically insinuated that the Mustang was in same way related to Mazda. I have no problem w/ Mazda but its funny he made the comment about a car on its own unique platform with no rebadges. Hell if you would be more correct if you called it a Jaguar.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Did someone really just compare loyalty to a brand to being faithful in marriage?

Jesus Christ...
Old 11-16-2011, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ledesordre
Who cares, it's still a Ford. Might as well be a Mazda. Buy a freakin' camaro or for godsakes if you're going to spend THAT MUCH money, get a Vette =)
Give me this GT500 over any of the corvette models except the ZR1. Much rather have the GT500 over the Z06, and I wouldn't give you a nickel for a standard coupe/GS model. They are a bit off the mark on the ZL1. If the ZL1 was 45k and not 55k it might be worthy of consideration.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stepped up game= yes, minus some junk parts and some **** customer service regarding them (first hand experience, not mindless "I read on the interwebz" crap)

Kicking ***= yes and no, they aren't outselling and a lot of the 5th gen owners are doing well to keep up. Kinda like comparing Machs and n/a Cobras to the ls1s when both were new...*** kicking would be more like comparing a 99 GT to a 99 ls1.

And yet again, the ZL1 is competing with the 2012 GT500, not the '13. While it is likely in 2013 your statement will be true that "Ford is kicking GM's ***", it's pretty damn close right now.

Make no mistake, it is competeing with the 2013. The order banks for the 2012 gt500 will be closed before the first production ZL1s are delivered. Maybe it was benchmarked against the 2012, but the 2013 will be on the ground this spring, the same time as the ZL1. The 5.8/TVS combo has been under development a long time, and GM knew it was coming, which is why the ZL1 makes mroe power than the CTS-V.

Also of note, the 2013 GT500 is running 15psi, giving some backing to the speculation that the tune has to be very conservative to make "only" 650hp. For refrence, the 2.3l TVS upgrade kit from Ford Racing makes 660hp on the 2010 cars running 14psi. The new blower is spining faster on a bigger motor and making less power. Just a simple tune on this car should yield impressive gains.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I would take a GS or Z06 any day of the week.

No matter how much power it has and how many tweaks, it's still a Mustang and after driving even a lowly C5 Corvette I would fall over myself trying to get behind the wheel of a upper level C6. More potential for all around performance IMO.

I can't believe they priced the ZL1 in GS territory in the first place personally.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Did someone really just compare loyalty to a brand to being faithful in marriage?

Jesus Christ...
Nutswinging at its finest.

Originally Posted by Jorday
Give me this GT500 over any of the corvette models except the ZR1. Much rather have the GT500 over the Z06, and I wouldn't give you a nickel for a standard coupe/GS model. They are a bit off the mark on the ZL1. If the ZL1 was 45k and not 55k it might be worthy of consideration.
IDK, if they could cut the Mustang down to 32-3300lbs I would be in the same boat about the base Corvette, but I would take a Z06 over a GT500 in a heart beat. It would be a hard choice between a base Corvette and a GT500, but I think I would still probably go for the Corvette. As much as I like this car and would love to own one, it's still a Mustang. I see about 50 of them to ever Corvette, and even if it is considerably lighter than the ZL1 and the overpriced SRT8, 3800lbs is still a pretty heavy car.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - 5.8L/650hp/200+ MPH