Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - 5.8L/650hp/200+ MPH

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:51 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
I talking about running into one of these cars on the street, not the track. And yes, I literally did go around looking at the CARS, not just the engines. I wasn't a bit surprised to find a bunch of big power cars on all season tires. Both my cars in my sig wear nothing but drag radials on the back, and both have seen rain and snow.

I clearly stated second hand, as in they are not the original owner who spent a lot of money for a new car. They bought used at a huge discount. I say this because nobody buys a $60K Mustang to beat up on a dragstrip. $60K will put you in a couple year old Z06 or GTR.

Finally, I don't need to drive a 2011 GT500 to know that a 5.8L engine with a big positive displacement blower, manual trans and 20" tires won't work on the street.
The way somebody rolls up to a car show, and the way somebody cruising on the street rolls around (drag radials or slicks on different wheels) looking to have some fun is potentially a big difference.
Originally Posted by ghostbird
Bein loyal to a certain make of car is like bein loyal to a football team if you like one team and have alot of merch from that team are you gonna switch teams cuz they arent doin so well at the moment ?

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
So, intelligent people would never stay faithful to their spouses/significant others?
How about to the company they work for or the ball team they play for, can a person that refuses to 'sell out their boss' or throw the game for the other team never be considered intelligent?
Since when did loyalty become a bad thing.

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
You're reading too deeply I think.

IMO a better comparison would be being brand loyal to say Coke or Pepsi. What do you get for your loyalty? Also if one changes their formula to taste like dog **** would you not drink the other due to your loyalty?
Thank you for getting it.
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Did someone really just compare loyalty to a brand to being faithful in marriage?

Jesus Christ...
Exactly
Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by gocartone
Nutswinging at its finest.

IDK, if they could cut the Mustang down to 32-3300lbs I would be in the same boat about the base Corvette, but I would take a Z06 over a GT500 in a heart beat. It would be a hard choice between a base Corvette and a GT500, but I think I would still probably go for the Corvette. As much as I like this car and would love to own one, it's still a Mustang. I see about 50 of them to ever Corvette, and even if it is considerably lighter than the ZL1 and the overpriced SRT8, 3800lbs is still a pretty heavy car.
Agreed 100%. I'm still a Corvette enthusiast.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are plenty of people that need more than a two seater though.
I could have bought a C6Z06 instead of my smurf mobile, but then I couldn't take my son to day care
Old 11-16-2011, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

Really? How does being loyal to your wife compare to being loyal to a car company? Unless you are working for or sponsored by GM, why only drive their cars?
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Did someone really just compare loyalty to a brand to being faithful in marriage?
Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Exactly
Ok yes, of course it's quite an extreme and obtuse comparison/analogy but so are many other points being made (and NOT being made) here LOL.

Nutswinging at its finest.
Nutswinging how exactly?
I was merely trying (unsuccesfully of course LOL) to speak/justify for others who might be brand loyal...I for one, AM NOT.
I love both GM and Ford (and Camaros and Mustangs) equally, one might be able to call me a domestic nameplate nutswinger though.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The way somebody rolls up to a car show, and the way somebody cruising on the street rolls around (drag radials or slicks on different wheels) looking to have some fun is potentially a big difference.
The Corvette weekend was a week after Hot Rod weekend. Both were more than just car shows. Hot Rod weekend had blown Fords, big power Corvettes, and turbo imports everywhere looking to have some fun on the street. Too bad most showed with street tires and got pushed around by 12 second cars that worked.

I guess building a car that's capable of making good use of it's power at all times is now out of style. Silly me, I should have built a dyno sheet.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I just participated in a Corvette event, with nearly 1000 cars. Dozens of twin turbo cars, dozens of superchargers, god knows how many strokers... I think I saw 95% of the Corvettes there. I counted 8 cars on drag radials.
What kind of "event" was this? Drag racing only?
Call it a generalization if you want, I won't argue that. But to say it's not close to true? Look around... Most of the guys here that have built their cars did so second hand, especially the more expensive stuff like the Z06s.

Finally, I have no reason to troll Mustang sites. I've met more GT500 owners than you have posts. Having driven numerous GT500s (through 2010), C6Z06s, and the like. I can say in my experience the GT500 simply cannot make good use of the power it already has. This is backed up the the countless 13 second quarters I've seen from these cars.
Im thinking that the "modifying" that is being talked about here isn't necessarily to go only strait, especially when we are talking about Corvettes. I don't see the point in modifying something that is a purpose built road course car, made ground up to turn, into something that can only go strait and drives like crap. If I had a Corvette it would never see drag radials, kills how it handles. Hell my car will likely never see drag radials, Im not going to ruin how it drives to impress some kids from a dig.
Likely the guys you saw at this event were just there to have some fun, not to be seriously drag racing and probably couldn't care less if some purpose built drag car can beat them in a strait line... Real cars turn anyways
Old 11-16-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

The Corvette weekend was a week after Hot Rod weekend. Both were more than just car shows. Hot Rod weekend had blown Fords, big power Corvettes, and turbo imports everywhere looking to have some fun on the street. Too bad most showed with street tires and got pushed around by 12 second cars that worked.

I guess building a car that's capable of making good use of it's power at all times is now out of style. Silly me, I should have built a dyno sheet.
Really?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not everyone you see at a drag strip is always concerned with running the best possible time when theya re there. Don't put much stock in people that are just mkaing passes for fun
Old 11-17-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Veteran

From Jalopnik this morning

After Ford brought out its potentially ZL1-killing 650-horsepower 2013 Shelby GT500, Joel Ewanick, global vice president of GM marketing, decided to drop the gauntlet down at the feet of Ford. "We should take a Camaro, Ford brings a Mustang, we each pick our drivers, and see who has the best time on the Nürburgring," Ewanick said to Scott Burgess of the Detroit News. Jim Farley, who heads Ford's global marketing, wasn't taking the bait despite professed claims to a desire to "take a bat" to Chevrolet. "I wish we could," he said, after hearing about Ewanick's challenge. "Who wouldn't want to do that?" Huh. Sounds to us like maybe Ford's chicken. Hey, Farley — bawk-bawk-bawk-BA-****!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:40 PM
***Repost Police***

I'd like to see that, but with production versions of each car.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TriShield
From Jalopnik this morning

After Ford brought out its potentially ZL1-killing 650-horsepower 2013 Shelby GT500, Joel Ewanick, global vice president of GM marketing, decided to drop the gauntlet down at the feet of Ford. "We should take a Camaro, Ford brings a Mustang, we each pick our drivers, and see who has the best time on the Nürburgring," Ewanick said to Scott Burgess of the Detroit News. Jim Farley, who heads Ford's global marketing, wasn't taking the bait despite professed claims to a desire to "take a bat" to Chevrolet. "I wish we could," he said, after hearing about Ewanick's challenge. "Who wouldn't want to do that?" Huh. Sounds to us like maybe Ford's chicken. Hey, Farley — bawk-bawk-bawk-BA-****!
Maybe prospect of realistically comparing 'Ring times isn't so far fetched after all?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Meh, you can have a 10-20sec difference in lap times on the 'Ring with close to equal drivers. Nobody can drive around that track and hit every corner 100% perfect, so I still say it's a pointless test. GM probably knows they have a better driver than Ford as I can't recall Ford ever doing testing on the track, while GM has been with a lot of their cars. Have there been any tests with the 2011-12 GT500 and ZL1? I still think the '11-'12 would take a ZL1 around a track with equal drivers.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Have there been any tests with the 2011-12 GT500 and ZL1? I still think the '11-'12 would take a ZL1 around a track with equal drivers.
I think their point is they know they have a better handling car because they spent so much time and work focusing on that. The 2013 GT500 is raw power and a huge number on paper, it could be a total mess on a track. A BOSS would be a better match but 444hp might not be enough to keep it up with the ZL1 arond the 'Ring.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

interesting response here.

http://www.mustangheaven.com/2011/zl...o-camaro-fans/
Old 11-17-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

The 2011 GT500 is a little faster than the Boss around shorter tracks, so I would guess that on a track like the 'Ring it would be much faster. Add 100hp plus everything else Ford is doing and that gap is only going to widen. They are not just straight line, big horsepower cars like a lot of people seem to think.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is all that matters, it's all in fun. I believe I know what event you're talking about as well. If it's the Ocean City show, of course you're going to see a bunch of high-powered cars running around on street tires, it's nothing more than a damn car show, not a bracket racing event. People are just out there having a good time, they have their fun runs on the street and go home, nobody takes that **** seriously.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:37 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
Interesting indeed...personally I can't wait for the comparisons.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know how anyone can say this car isn't awesome. 650 hp from the factory. I tend to be a gm fan but ford has been doing a great job w/ the 5.0s, bosses and gt500s. But if they raise the price much, I think that is a problem. Even 50k is pushing it but doable for alot of people. If it goes to $60k, I think they lost most of the people that would really want this car. I thought 2008 and Obama was the end of decent cars. I guess I was wrong.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

where GM messed up is doing their homework.

while a zl1 is a great car they shouldve been paying close attention to what ford was working on. there were rumors for awhile and GM reps shouldve been able to confirm or deny ford was going to have an answer.

i doubt GM was thinking one step ahead and going to be able to top this car.

i still think zl1s will be competitive but ford outdoing GM before a zl1 hits showrooms is somewhat embarrassing.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

GM is banking on handling over power at this point. I think that's what they're pointing to with this letter and their R&D videos. No doubt GM is doing work on this car, but I doubt Ford is just slapping a larger HP engine in the GT500 and calling it a day. Time will tell though. Both cars are amazing, and if you have the coin for either I doubt you'd be disappointed in your decision.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - 5.8L/650hp/200+ MPH