Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Edmunds Track-Test - 2012 Camaro ZL1 vs 2013 Mustang GT500

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't think weight would play much at those speeds, but i do think frontal area would play a large part.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'm not calling you stupid, but I do think your comment shows that you have a fundamental lack of understanding of how the world around you works - hence why I like giving you crap about being a magazine racer, since that's what prompted this question.

This isn't a GT500 vs. ZL1 thing, this goes for any car - if the aerodynamic drag of a car increases as the square of speed, it would tell you that it takes a lot more power just to go a little bit faster when you reach speeds well into the triple digits; speeds that are much faster than you would normally achieve in the quarter mile.

Making a direct correlation between trap speed in a quarter mile race and a vehicle's top speed just doesn't work. Want proof? Play around with this calculator, and notice how fast the power requirements go up once you start getting up there in speed, and also notice how little effect the vehicle's weight has on things:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aero...resistance.php
Like I said post some hard evidence of why the stang can only put 1mph on the zl1 after the quarter mile. We all know it takes more to go faster at higher speeds and I never implied it didn't but based of the Hp/weight difference between the two it would take a big aero dynamic advantage in the zl1's favor to stop the pull of the gt500 correct? So post up the results you get from little calculator and I hope it backs up all the trash talk you love to do.

If pointing out the facts makes me magazine racer so be it but your reaction and immature replies shows that your a little but hurt by the results.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by firebird99
Like I said post some hard evidence of why the stang can only put 1mph on the zl1 after the quarter mile. We all know it takes more to go faster at higher speeds and I never implied it didn't but based of the Hp/weight difference between the two it would take a big aero dynamic advantage in the zl1's favor to stop the pull of the gt500 correct? So post up the results you get from little calculator and I hope it backs up all the trash talk you love to do.

If pointing out the facts makes me magazine racer so be it but your reaction and immature replies shows that your a little but hurt by the results.
You mean these results:

Im sure there is no "butthurt" going on except for your sig. BTW, shouldnt it be 4-0?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Both cars are running over 65% of their total top speed by the 1/4 mile mark. Acceleration above those speeds starts to flatten out.

I still don't see your point here. This was a "top speed" test. Not a race from point A to point B. Acceleration past the 1/4 mile doesn't matter and should not be factored in given both cars had enough track to actually reach their true top speed. Who's to say the GT500 didn't reach 181mph (the ZL1's tested top speed) 1/2 a mile before the ZL1 got there?

Your (notice I used the correct "your") argument sucks.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by evolve
You mean these results:

Im sure there is no "butthurt" going on except for your sig. BTW, shouldnt it be 4-0?
based on that chart, how is it anyone is declaring the zl the winner again?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hard evidence is physics...you know, the laws that govern the universe and this rock we live on. It will require you to pick up a book instead of a magazine if you want to understand, but it might be worth your time. I tried to make it easy for you by giving you a link to an online calculator you could play with, but the best you can do is ask me to post up the results I get by using it?

If you knew it takes more to go faster at higher speeds, then why did you even bring it up as something that seemed suspect?

And your "but hurt" comment (and butt is spelled with two t's when you are using it in that manner) makes any assessment of my maturity irrelevant. You know, the whole "pot meet kettle" thing.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
I personally wouldn't declare the ZL1 a winner but the fact it performs dam close to the GT500 with that much more weight and less power says quite a bit about the suspension in that car. I can only imagine the difference if they took the car and shed off 200lbs I wouldn't be shocked to see it beating the GT500 then even with its less power.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the zl's power could be the sole contributor to the faster ring time, as there's still plenty of rumors of the shelby running a bit quicker over there......i'd like to see a video though, in order to believe it.
Doubtful. As I have tried to note repeadetdly in these road course discussions corner speed relates to straightaway speed. If you are already at a higher speed when you exit, compared to a car with a horsepower advantage, they car with the slower car still has to outaccelerate you to match your speed before it would begin to gain ground. If that delta is high enough, the higher power vehicle may not have the time to make up the ground in a given straightaway. In the comparison of the ZL1 to SS, i would be willing to wager that the only time they shared a spped on any segment of the track was when they were sitting still. The ZL1 would have ad vantages in entry, corner, exit, and straightaway speed.

FYI - weight is effectively insignificant on a top speed run. It would really only affect the time nededd to achieve the ultimate velocity.

I bet is you took Cd and frontal area off both the GT-500 and ZL1 they would be remarkable similar (dare I say reasonably identical as far as air resistence is concerned). Leaving only rolling resistence (tires - which are still quite similar. Both Goodyear G2's) and power as the variables.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmurray87
I personally wouldn't declare the ZL1 a winner but the fact it performs dam close to the GT500 with that much more weight and less power says quite a bit about the suspension in that car. I can only imagine the difference if they took the car and shed off 200lbs I wouldn't be shocked to see it beating the GT500 then even with its less power.
what's the weight difference again? 260#? that's really only 1 person....or if you're a skinny **** like me, then 1.5 people. not as much as people make it out to be honestly.

not like a 500 or 700# difference....]

Last edited by 1ltcap; 06-27-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

what's the weight difference again? 260#? that's really only 1 person....or if you're a skinny **** like me, then 1.5 people. not as much as people make it out to be honestly.

not like a 500 or 700# difference....]
Much less than that, only 180lb between the two. I think the biggest helper is the tire size. I don't care what the Ford engineers think about running wider tires, the car would go around a corner faster if it didn't have such skinny tires on it. I would like to see how the times would change if it were running the same size tires as the Camaro.

I also have to question how they figured the top speed on the car at 189 when it was going faster in pretty much the worst conditions possible. It's pretty damn impressive that it beat the ZL1 by 4.1 seconds to 150 though, that's a pretty f'in big gap!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gocartone
Much less than that, only 180lb between the two. I think the biggest helper is the tire size. I don't care what the Ford engineers think about running wider tires, the car would go around a corner faster if it didn't have such skinny tires on it. I would like to see how the times would change if it were running the same size tires as the Camaro.

I also have to question how they figured the top speed on the car at 189 when it was going faster in pretty much the worst conditions possible. It's pretty damn impressive that it beat the ZL1 by 4.1 seconds to 150 though, that's a pretty f'in big gap!

yea, that difference caught my eye too.

i agree with the tires. i think they'd have had to re-design the entire car though to fit bigger tires, although i'm not sure.

and i thought the weight diff. was a little more....at 180 though, that's nothing....one person. we've seen the difference that makes in the srks section. usually less, so i don't think trimming 180# off the zl will make up over a half second on the track, although i could be wrong.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Because cars aren't really numbers on a sheet of paper unless you really live your life a quarter mile at a time.

It's not like either one of them are exactly slow.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TriShield
Because cars aren't really numbers on a sheet of paper unless you really live your life a quarter mile at a time.

It's not like either one of them are exactly slow.
100% agree! The feel and the confidence the driver gets to have fun with his new toy is very important. And from all the reviews it seems like the ZL1 is a very rewarding car to drive
Old 06-28-2012, 01:42 AM
***Repost Police***

So I guess nobody will argue against me that S2000 > F-body, right? 8mph slower in the 1/4 mile, but the handling/feel difference is WAY bigger than the GT500/ZL1 comparison, so this should be an easy consensus, right?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
So I guess nobody will argue against me that S2000 > F-body, right? 8mph slower in the 1/4 mile, but the handling/feel difference is WAY bigger than the GT500/ZL1 comparison, so this should be an easy consensus, right?
Well, that depends, but maybe.
How much faster (if at all) than an LS1 F-body (say, a stock SS or WS6) is the stock S2000 around Gingerman or VIR?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what bothers me the most is that these magazine articles are using an unknown, subjective weighting system to determine the overall winner, but are passing it off like they were 100% objective about the whole thing. That's fine if they want to declare a winner based off of the fuzzy, warm feelings they get from the ZL1, but at least be honest that that's what you are doing.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Well, that depends, but maybe.
How much faster (if at all) than an LS1 F-body (say, a stock SS or WS6) is the stock S2000 around Gingerman or VIR?
i suspect his point was that the previous poster seems to think that the speed isn't important, as long as you feel confident.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

I think what bothers me the most is that these magazine articles are using an unknown, subjective weighting system to determine the overall winner, but are passing it off like they were 100% objective about the whole thing. That's fine if they want to declare a winner based off of the fuzzy, warm feelings they get from the ZL1, but at least be honest that that's what you are doing.
i don't think there's anything at all unknown about the system they're using. they went into the test liking the camaro better, and they will continue to change/modify rules/tests in order to make their favorite win.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That warm cozy feeling is for sissies.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heated arguments based off of hard-copy and internet magazine articles where they said the ZL1 was clearly the better car, but wasn't?
Boom

Quick Reply: Edmunds Track-Test - 2012 Camaro ZL1 vs 2013 Mustang GT500