Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend Puts The ZL1 & GT500 to The Test!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by GTOSE
I think we should have a few more of these threads.

It's not getting old yet.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmy169
It seems like it only won due to the superior brakes. Upgrading brakes is one thing, upgrading 100hp while trying to shed over 200lbs is another. And they start at 2 grand difference of one another? I think the Shelby is the real winner, I mean how much do upgraded brakes cost? I got chills when the shelby pulled out of the garage.
Did you forget that without the extra performance packs it wouldn't even be close on the track? If all you want is to run it at the strip then yeah I guess the base model would be the way to go especially for the dollar.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gocartone
What do they run for fluid in them? The Mustang hasn't lost any of the braking distance tests, they just start to fade after many laps of hard driving. Motortrend, or some other test, stopped in just 101 feet from 60. That's pretty damn good!
yea, it is.

but in every test i've read of the shelbys, and boss302's they all say the same thing. brake fade. i thought that was a large part of why they opted to finally go to 6 piston brakes. i don't know what kind of fluid they run though, and i guess that could make a big difference. does anyone know what the zl runs?

as much as i like my fords, stupid little things like this is how they manage to eff it up sometimes, and it's truly agitating.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Aside from that, nobody is cross shopping a $150k+ exotic sports car and a Mustang, two totally different cars, while the Corvette is kind of like a high-end Camaro.

Ford's top dog=GT500
Chevy's top dog=ZR1.......that is why the GT500 will always be faster then the ZL1 regardless of the price difference between between the top 2.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

All I see are Camaro guys trying to say that all of the sudden horsepower doesn't mean ****, it's how fast a car is in the twistys. Where have we ALL heard that from before? Oh yes, the FWD shitbox econocar owners
I think your just mad that every single magazine has agreed that the ZL1 is a better all around car... wait, they must all be biased, right?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want to go real fast off the showroom floor, go GT500.

If your wife keeps your nuts in her purse and you don't want to hear as many complaints about "bumpy" roads, go ZL1.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
I think your just mad that every single magazine has agreed that the ZL1 is a better all around car... wait, they must all be biased, right?
Of course they're biased. Not regarding Ford vs. GM, but about handling and subjective things like "feel" vs. actual performance, and especially straight line performance.

Why do you think cars like the Miata and BRZ/FRS always win comparos despite always having lackluster performance numbers compared to the competition?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
Slow is the new fast.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

I've posted in one or two of the other types of these threads, so might as well add my $0.02 here:

I think Ford did an outstanding job with the new GT500 It has the numbers and performance to back up everything the Shelby name stands for. As for brake fade, only auto x'ers and guys who track their car will notice this (as stated in the article, street braking will not experience fade).

ZL1 seems to be winning the magazine writer's over - biased or not, I am not going to argue the point that each comparison says ZL1 is the all around better car, just not faster (yes we all know the Honda justification here, but the reality is that this car is still fast, just not as fast as the GT500, where the ricers who argued handling generally didn't even handle that well nor could be considered fast in the least /rant).

Having aged a few years since I bought my 99 SS some 12 years ago, I can understand the writer's point. How much are enthusiasts really going to track these cars? There is justification for stoplight racing, highway roll racing, etc, that the ZL1 will lose, and stock for stock I agree mostly. However, not all vehicle enjoyment comes from racing. I am not declaring the ZL1 the winner as performance is first in my books, followed by form and refinement. But I do understand the point that the ZL1 is easier to launch, a better ride and easier to drive at the limit (which is equal to or greater than the GT500 for cornering). So if it's easier to road race the ZL1 to the limit, easier to launch and live with on the street, where 90+% of all driving will occur even with enthusiasts, the magazine writers make a compelling arguement.

I, like most diehard GM guys, would like to see the ZL1 perform at the same level as the GT500 in all areas. So for me, I think the GT500 is the car of choice (though I would own a Vette before a Mustang in this case) in this comparison, as do most posting here.

All I am really saying is I understand the reasons why they picked the Camaro. Maybe Ford should have left out a top speed focus and geared the car a little easier to drive on the street, perhaps upgrade brake pads or rotors??, and put some fatter tires on. Then there would be no arguement at all----then again, the Ford vs Chevy war will always find something to argue about!!

Let's just hope these types of cars continue to be available, there has never been a better time to be a car enthusiast!

Last edited by NW-99SS; 06-29-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by -ross-
if you want to go real fast off the showroom floor, go gt500.

If your wife keeps your nuts in her purse and you don't want to hear as many complaints about "bumpy" roads, go zl1.
sig!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by -Ross-
If you want to go real fast off the showroom floor, go GT500.

If your wife keeps your nuts in her purse and you don't want to hear as many complaints about "bumpy" roads, go ZL1.
maybe people like what they like and arent concerned what others think.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Teching In

All I see are Camaro guys trying to say that all of the sudden horsepower doesn't mean ****, it's how fast a car is in the twistys. Where have we ALL heard that from before? Oh yes, the FWD shitbox econocar owners
Rationalization is a funny thing. Suddenly king of the muscle car hill is all about a comfortable ride. LMFAO. Speed and performance are so yesterday...... especially if your chosen brand just got raped to the degree that the Shelby raped the Zl1.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

If you want to lose in comfort get a ZL1
Old 06-30-2012, 03:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Since most of you say that the majority of the runs between these two will be stop light to stop light lets take a look at this part of story....

(When you're putting that much torque to just two tires, these things happen. The Mustang and its extra 75 lb-ft of torque suffer more here, with more wheel spin and more sliding around. As a result, the race is actually very close through the first two gears until the Mustang finally hooks up and walks away in third.

Read more: http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/co...#ixzz1zGESTGSR)

Seems to me like it's going to come down to a drivers race since most stop light to stop light don't see 100mph+ speeds. Now just think about how much easier it will be for a auto ZL1 to hook on the street compared to the stick only GT500.We all know the GT500 will hand the ZL1 it's *** on the track(prepped surface) but I feel on the street it's going to be a pain trying to put that much power down with no prep and skinny tires.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by proxemics
If you want to lose in comfort get a ZL1
that is sig material.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by firebird99
Since most of you say that the majority of the runs between these two will be stop light to stop light lets take a look at this part of story....

(When you're putting that much torque to just two tires, these things happen. The Mustang and its extra 75 lb-ft of torque suffer more here, with more wheel spin and more sliding around. As a result, the race is actually very close through the first two gears until the Mustang finally hooks up and walks away in third.

Seems to me like it's going to come down to a drivers race since most stop light to stop light don't see 100mph+ speeds. Now just think about how much easier it will be for a auto ZL1 to hook on the street compared to the stick only GT500.We all know the GT500 will hand the ZL1 it's *** on the track(prepped surface) but I feel on the street it's going to be a pain trying to put that much power down with no prep and skinny tires.
it suffers more, yet still gets to 60 a half second faster. be glad it doesn't suffer. annihilation would happen at that point.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Launching!

It is going to be bad for the ZL1 on the street.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sax1031
It is going to be bad for the ZL1 on the street.
Just like it was for the SS when the 5.0 came out? Cause that isnt really happening yet either.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss1129
Just like it was for the SS when the 5.0 came out? Cause that isnt really happening yet either.
The GT500 traps 7-10mph faster in the tests.

On the streets the GT500 is going to run away and hide from the ZL1 in a race.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Did you forget that without the extra performance packs it wouldn't even be close on the track? If all you want is to run it at the strip then yeah I guess the base model would be the way to go especially for the dollar.
What does the extra performance pack include, and how do you know it wouldn't be close?

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Puts The ZL1 & GT500 to The Test!