Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Road and Track ZL1 vs GT500

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are playing like the GT500 doesn't handle incredibly. The ZL1 is just better in that aspect. Neither car is a "one-trick pony."
Old 08-02-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
You are playing like the GT500 doesn't handle incredibly. The ZL1 is just better in that aspect. Neither car is a "one-trick pony."
No sir I never said the GT500 doesn't handle well I said that the way evolution motorsports built their car no longer allows it to track the way it would stock do you not agree?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by firebird99
No sir I never said the GT500 doesn't handle well I said that the way evolution motorsports built their car no longer allows it to track the way it would stock do you not agree?
Ok my mistake, I didn't see the "in this case" part. Yes, the way that particular car was setup was focused on drag racing at the expense of handling/braking.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So if you compare the cost of the ZL1+bigger blower it is about the same as a equally equipped GT500 no? Is there not a roughly 6-8000 dollar price difference between the two?

Now don't get me wrong I know the GT500 is a beast but at the same time when it comes down to dollar for dollar a blower swap would put them to about the same money but the ZL1 would problably make more power.
Initial cost has nothing to do with the point being argued. HioSSilver said "mod for mod" (mods happen after purchasing a vehicle) the ZL1 responds better and makes more power.

Utter bullshit.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^While it might not be the same point he was making it is a point people can't deny.

Mod vs mod=GT500
Dollar vs dollar=ZL1 (total spent on car and parts)
Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok my mistake, I didn't see the "in this case" part. Yes, the way that particular car was setup was focused on drag racing at the expense of handling/braking.
Sorry if I wasn't clear on that but theirs only been two 2013 GT500's to hit 9's so I figured everyone knew what I was talking about.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 PM
***Repost Police***

^^^While it might not be the same point he was making it is a point people can't deny.

Mod vs mod=GT500
Dollar vs dollar=ZL1 (total spent on car and parts)
Depends on the performance contest you are speaking of.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Initial cost has nothing to do with the point being argued. HioSSilver said "mod for mod" (mods happen after purchasing a vehicle) the ZL1 responds better and makes more power.

Utter bullshit.
Not at all. And it will. Once mods start the power gap starts to close. There for the zl will do better mod for mod whether it makes as much power or not. The zl can increase boost significantly and the GT500 cannot(other than a couple pounds maybe).
Depends on the performance contest you are speaking of.
Any. Once building bottom ends start it's over for the Ford. It simply can't get to 400+ci. and thus will not make the power.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Not at all. And it will. Once mods start the power gap starts to close. There for the zl will do better mod for mod whether it makes as much power or not. The zl can increase boost significantly and the GT500 cannot(other than a couple pounds maybe).
$2k will get you 700rwhp out of the GT500. (CAI, throttle body, harmonic balancer, tune)

The ZL1 needs all of those bolt-ons plus a ported blower, plus a better heat exchanger plus a heads/cam package to reach 700rwhp. News Flash: That cost WAY more than $2k.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

$2k will get you 700rwhp out of the GT500. (CAI, throttle body, harmonic balancer, tune)

The ZL1 needs all of those bolt-ons plus a ported blower, plus a better heat exchanger plus a heads/cam package to reach 700rwhp. News Flash: That cost WAY more than $2k.
The gt500 I have seen with a tune has used race gas or a mix. That as I have stated is off the table...atleast for me. Besides I don't care about dyno #. I want to close the acceleration gap. And news flash, price as tested the GT500 was 6k more. That leaves me some room to work with.

You guys act like this car is a god and can't be beat. Once built bottom ends are taking place it's all zl after that.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 AM
***Repost Police***

You think the only tunes for GT500 that make good power use race gas? And you also completely ignore the fact that the GT500 already has a built bottom end. You are trying so hard to make us agree with you. You can't use the "mod for mod" argument with so many stipulations.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

The gt500 I have seen with a tune has used race gas or a mix. That as I have stated is off the table...atleast for me. Besides I don't care about dyno #. I want to close the acceleration gap. And news flash, price as tested the GT500 was 6k more. That leaves me some room to work with.

You guys act like this car is a god and can't be beat. Once built bottom ends are taking place it's all zl after that.
oh, brother

Last edited by -Ross-; 08-03-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

You think the only tunes for GT500 that make good power use race gas? And you also completely ignore the fact that the GT500 already has a built bottom end. You are trying so hard to make us agree with you. You can't use the "mod for mod" argument with so many stipulations.
The gt500 is running on 5lb more boost from the factory. It's not gonna go much more. That 5lb on the Zl is gonna close the gap significantly. Did'nt you guys think of that? Or do you just not want to admit it? I don't know where the blowers on each start to loose their efficiency and for sure the zl will need a blower change at some point, but that's easy enough on factory blower cars.

At any rate there is much more room for making power left in the ZL than the gt500 imo.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

The gt500 is running on 5lb more boost from the factory. It's not gonna go much more. That 5lb on the Zl is gonna close the gap significantly. Did'nt you guys think of that? Or do you just not want to admit it? I don't know where the blowers on each start to loose their efficiency and for sure the zl will need a blower change at some point, but that's easy enough on factory blower cars.
Are you forgetting the GT500 can go to a Whipple and not blow the bottem end of the engine out of the oil pan?

ZL1 would need a blower swap, heads, cam, full exhaust and a built bottom end to hang.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Are you forgetting the GT500 can go to a Whipple and not blow the bottem end of the engine out of the oil pan?

ZL1 would need a blower swap, heads, cam, full exhaust and a built bottom end to hang.
So far we know of 1 blown gt500. So what you say may not be true . This is why I say once the built bottoms start it's a done deal for the gt500. It's displacement is maxxed, the ZL has a long way to go in that department.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

What kind of horsepower are we talking here?? There are 2.0L turbo engines making 1500+whp, which is about the limit for a street car, so what good is the 1 liter a built ZL1 will have on a built GT500 going to do? Did you forget about the whole boosted thing? If we were talking motor vs motor more cubes will win, but that is not at all the case here.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

So far we know of 1 blown gt500. So what you say may not be true . This is why I say once the built bottoms start it's a done deal for the gt500. It's displacement is maxxed, the ZL has a long way to go in that department.
Boosted 5.4 DOHC

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYAVHiEKdYg
Old 08-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Dude, stop riding GM's *******, you sound like an uneducated idiot. Everyone but you apparently knows the safe limit of the LSA and of the 5.4 (5.8).
Old 08-04-2012, 06:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gocartone
What kind of horsepower are we talking here?? There are 2.0L turbo engines making 1500+whp, which is about the limit for a street car, so what good is the 1 liter a built ZL1 will have on a built GT500 going to do? Did you forget about the whole boosted thing? If we were talking motor vs motor more cubes will win, but that is not at all the case here.
Really....1500hp 4cyl. You have no idea what kind of a time bomb that thing is, and it's on race gas and definitely not a street car engine. This is why you and don't see eye to eye. You believe this crap.
Really, your gonna post up a race car...nice you tube racing. I bet that's the only type of racing you do. Do you even have a car?
Originally Posted by kewlv8
Dude, stop riding GM's *******, you sound like an uneducated idiot. Everyone but you apparently knows the safe limit of the LSA and of the 5.4 (5.8).
Well apparently that shop that blew up the gt500 didn't know the safe limit. My blowed up termi swapped notched was apparently over the safe limit too, and no where near the power the limit you guys think should be safe. I'm sure Irunelevens knows the safe limit of his 14 sec cars ......since your in his camp I figured I would mention that.

As I have said both are great cars, I don't know how that is nutswinging. But the ZL has more potential left in it. That's just the facts.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:08 AM
***Repost Police***

Always bringing up the shitty gas in Virginia, and my Taurus (16s car, btw...on a good day). Pretty sad.

Quick Reply: Road and Track ZL1 vs GT500