Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

ZL1 outruns GT500 at VIR: Lightning Lap 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best part is watching all the ford guys that claim "not" to care yet they are trying so hard to make excuses and troll on GM sites to spew there crap(Ry trapp).
Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kennyxg
So Hio what happened here? look at 8.48 of the flim.. http://youtu.be/iVTU5r5sK9E EXCUSE NO.1?
Well it's already been stated that he was product testing and had the boost turned up but for some reason the ford guys don't believe it. Now on the flip side of that coin you guys believe the guy from revan racing that his car is bone stock. Seems to me like some of you are blinded by the badge. Also if you don't believe that the zl1 had more power then stock take a look around 8:15 and watch the zl1 pull on the gt500 something we all know required a lot more power to do so it tends to back up his story don't you think?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Wink

Originally Posted by firebird99
Well it's already been stated that he was product testing and had the boost turned up but for some reason the ford guys don't believe it. Now on the flip side of that coin you guys believe the guy from revan racing that his car is bone stock. Seems to me like some of you are blinded by the badge. Also if you don't believe that the zl1 had more power then stock take a look around 8:15 and watch the zl1 pull on the gt500 something we all know required a lot more power to do so it tends to back up his story don't you think?
It is what it is...
Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is what it is...
Obviously not or you and others wouldn't try so hard to defend the gt500. Since you guys love to preach that road racing don't mean squat when racing on the street I would agree but from stop light to stop light a auto zl1 is going to surprise more then one gt500.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Teching In

I spit my beer all over my screen! lol!
LOL, i aim to please

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Ugh. Not again. One lap time on an undocumented car does not a faster car make. Does ANYONE have some legit lap times for the 1LE OTHER than this singular VIR lap run that has been posted TO DEATH???

Sorry, but if this were any other make of car posting a single better lap than the new Camaro, there would plenty of skepticism being displayed here instead of ready acceptance. I'm not trying to be a stereotypical excuse maker here ( I don't think any of these new Mustangs or Camaros are jokes nor require any), but I want an honest-to-God, head to head lap time comparison.......at ANY track. All the comparos posted between these two cars thus far simply weigh the basic metrics and measure up the intangibles. Why can't we just get a simple lap time comparison?

I don't even see a lightning lap time listed for a 1LE. Is no one racing this car yet????
it's all irrelevant until there is a legitimate SAME DAY-SAME DRIVER comparison between the 1LE and 302. the nurburgerkingring has every chevy and nissan fanboy ignoring things like 'logic' and 'common sense'. ask a real race car driver - even an open tracker - what they think of the (totally not)official hamburgering lap time list and they'll laugh because it's 100% meaningless. the same applies to every other track in the world when lap times are posted days, weeks, months, YEARS apart from each other.

and, in the end it's all irrelevant anyways. anyone open tracking their car is focusing on self improvement, not some bullshit lap times vs another car. and any racing series that these cars run in will make 'performance adjustments' to 'equalize' them(want to know why the 5th gen camaro did so well in the continental tire series last year? because it had a minimum weight of 3275lbs while the boss 302 had a minimum of 3350lbs amongst other restrictions on the mustang. the '13 regulations have the 5th gen at 3300lbs and the 302 at 3325lbs). sure makes for some good internet bench racing though

Originally Posted by jmurray87
Yes, on a road course with plenty of long straights everyone knows gives the GT500 a nice advantage. It's been said many times here that the GT500 is better on straights where the ZL1 seems to do better on the corners compared to the GT500. I think the fact I like to try and point out is the ZL1 is a FAR better car then what people seem to give it credit for. Just imagine what the car would be like if it wasn't so heavy.
LMAO, please tell me again about how 'streets of willow' has SO MANY big straight aways for the GT500 to pull on the ZL1

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
It seems they are close around a roadcourse, with the slight edge towards the ZL1. Depending on the track of course.

Also, your chart excludes the Lightning Lap time I posted on this thread, where the ZL1 is faster.
So the roadcourse tally should be a tie.

BUT WAIT! There's More!

There is another test that you didn't include at all.
Auto Bild Motorsport, a popular European Car Magazine.
Both cars piloted by Guido Naumann around the Sachsenring on the same day.
ZL1 time: 1:38.13
GT500: 1:38.26

http://www.germancarforum.com/commun...-gt-500.46775/

So based on the few comparisons, the ZL1 is technically ahead of the GT500 around roadcourses.
i agree 100%! honestly, the biggest difference between the cars isn't their maximum potential on a road course - this has been shown to be VERY close - but rather the learning curve required to run near the maximum potential of each. this is where the ZL1 absolutely shines, with the pansy ***(IMO) PTM and mag suspension covering up any mistakes(or outright amateur driving) made by the driver. that's not to say that the GT500 is a particularly difficult car to drive on a track(not like i would know), rather that it's more like driving a standard car on the track where you really need to put some laps in to get a feel for the car, due to its 'static'(for lack of a better word) suspension. in all of these tests the driver only gets a handful of laps in each car, which is why the results are inconsistent as all hell. professional race car driver or hand shuffling amateur journalist, the need for seat time can't be ignored.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Teching In

The best part is watching all the ford guys that claim "not" to care yet they are trying so hard to make excuses and troll on GM sites to spew there crap(Ry trapp).
LMAO! the butt hurt, does it burn?

i'm a CAR enthusiast, which is why i joined this site way back when. this place has some great tech and some killer builds, and i wanted to see some pics. yea, i'll jump in and correct the misinformation some of the more ridiculous chevys post up, but i'm here first and for most to take in the tech and check out some killer cars.
and, no, i don't give a **** if you don't believe me.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM
***Repost Police***

Wouldn't exactly call that "trolling," considering he just posted up other performance/track numbers from other head-to-head tests.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Wouldn't exactly call that "trolling," considering he just posted up other performance/track numbers from other head-to-head tests.
It is when he's on svtpp talking about how it doesn't matter and nobody cares then comes over here with the only intention of stirring the pot. No once did care to mention anything good about the ability of either camaro but he was quick to thump his ford chest.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Teching In

don't worry about him, he's just butt hurt because he gets factually dominated when ever he pays SVTPerformance a visit. he claims i'm a biased, nut swinging troll, yet i spent the first month or two over at SVTP defending the results of the magazine comparisons between the '13 GT500 and the ZL1. while most over there initially called 'bullshit' because the GT500 won in most performance metrics(see the aforementioned chart) yet lost because the ZL1 is a more comfortable street car, i wholly defended those results because, in the end, these cars are street cars first and track cars second. now, whether these reviews are honest or not i don't know, but that's a debate for another time.

It is when he's on svtpp talking about how it doesn't matter and nobody cares then comes over here with the only intention of stirring the pot. No once did care to mention anything good about the ability of either camaro but he was quick to thump his ford chest.
well, it doesn't matter, not in the real world anyways. i even posted that here, if you care to read.

oh, i didn't mention anything good about the ability of the ZL1? so i didn't post this...
Originally Posted by Ry_Trapp0
i agree 100%! honestly, the biggest difference between the cars isn't their maximum potential on a road course - this has been shown to be VERY close - but rather the learning curve required to run near the maximum potential of each. this is where the ZL1 absolutely shines, with the pansy ***(IMO) PTM and mag suspension covering up any mistakes(or outright amateur driving) made by the driver. that's not to say that the GT500 is a particularly difficult car to drive on a track(not like i would know), rather that it's more like driving a standard car on the track where you really need to put some laps in to get a feel for the car, due to its 'static'(for lack of a better word) suspension. in all of these tests the driver only gets a handful of laps in each car, which is why the results are inconsistent as all hell. professional race car driver or hand shuffling amateur journalist, the need for seat time can't be ignored.
it's easier to drive the ZL1 closer to its maximum potential on a road course, and it gives the driver a more comfortable ride on the road. those are both very commendable traits that i have never denied, and have in fact pointed out numerous times. it's only your blinders that prevent you from seeing this.
now, personally, i don't want any electronic help when i'm trying to get the maximum potential out of a car on a closed course, but that in no way takes away from the ZL1's advantage in being very confidence inspiring due to the electronics.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

It's confidence inspiring due to it's chassis and grip. The electronics could be in the way for some.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

i love the new 2013 gt500s. that front end looks soo sweet as it gets smaller in the rearview of my new zl1!!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It's confidence inspiring due to it's chassis and grip. The electronics could be in the way for some.
oh, c'mon now. the SS certainly doesn't get the same kind of 'confidence inspiring' praise that the ZL1 does. simply put, with the continuously adjusting mag shocks, the ZL1 simply doesn't get unsettled through even the most hairy of bumps, and with the right PTM mode you can mat the throttle in the middle of a turn and the car will only feed as much power to the wheels as there is traction. the car(namely the mag shocks) saves the *** of poor drivers and it allows great drivers to take some otherwise improbable lines. why do you think cornering speeds are higher in the ZL1 than the mustang? of course you assume it's outright grip, but being able to cut corners and devour rumble strips is a MAJOR contributor. i believe randy pobst made a similar statement in the (ridiculous) ZL1 vs boss 'comparison'. the rumble strips upset the boss 302(just like it would have the 1LE, with its 'fixed'/'static' suspension) yet the ZL1 just absorbed them and allowed randy to cut the corners off.
here's a quote from the recent ZR1-viper comparo...
Years ago, a Ferrari engineer was explaining to Randy, Angus and I that they (Ferrari) simply couldn’t figure out how the Nissan GT-R is able to lap the Nurburgring Nordschleife so quickly. “Oh, I know why,” Randy piped up. “Confidence. You can drive it faster because you’re more confident.”
the GT-R, another car that uses electronic to make joe schmo with too much money feel like mario andretti behind the wheel. granted, it's not the shocks that are doing it in this case, but rather that absurdly well engineered AWD system that allows the driver to do absolute stupid things with the car without suffering any consequences(until they out drive the computer... ...into a tree). and you don't think nissan put together a better chassis than ferrari - especially at 3800+lbs - do you?
it's also the reason that they gave the ZR1 the win over the new viper, those mag shocks working their magic vs the 'static'(again, for lack of a better word) pieces in the viper.[/longer_than_intended_rant]

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
i love the new 2013 gt500s. that front end looks soo sweet as it gets smaller in the rearview of my new zl1!!
we got a comedian in the house
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LMAO

Hmmmmmm Really? Then what's this-------->ZL1 outruns GT500 at VIR: Lightning Lap 2013-capture.jpg

Last edited by mlee; 01-04-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
On the FE4 2012+ standard SS cars (non-1LE) it's repositioned and larger/solid swaybars and "re-tuned" dampners, as well as a few tweaks in the suspension geometry. From what I've gathered, it's a lot of little tweaks that make a pretty noticeable difference. I also know the 2012+ front strut towers are different from the 10-11 cars, and also provide factory mounting holes for a STB (thanks to the convertible). Just a lot of little things like that.

I remember seeing on another forum pictures of the new sway bars, and the floor pan design in the trunk of the 5th gen was re-made with "humps" in them for 2012 to accomodate the new suspension revision.
This is true... also the engine is moved back a couple inches on the ZL1. As far as weight difference the rear end is 200lbs heavier than the SS. Another reason why it can easily handle the HP mods.

Quite sure they will be updating this chart soon enough.

Attached Thumbnails ZL1 outruns GT500 at VIR: Lightning Lap 2013-lightinglapsmall_zps971b148a.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol trapp you sir are funny. I am in no way butthurt or sore about anything I simply love the fact that we have two cars like these two to debate about. I'm just tired of the ford acting like the zl1 is a waist because it doesn't accelerate as hard as the 13gt500. Everyone wants a car that's fast and handles and both cars do but one was built with more handling in mind and the other with brute speed. Personally I think ford was waiting to release that engine in the next model but had to do something to respond to the zl1 that will embarrass a 2012 at the track and door to door at the strip and let's not forget that was the target car when the zl1 was built not the 13.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Ry_Trapp0
oh, c'mon now. the SS certainly doesn't get the same kind of 'confidence inspiring' praise that the ZL1 does. simply put, with the continuously adjusting mag shocks, the ZL1 simply doesn't get unsettled through even the most hairy of bumps, and with the right PTM mode you can mat the throttle in the middle of a turn and the car will only feed as much power to the wheels as there is traction. the car(namely the mag shocks) saves the *** of poor drivers and it allows great drivers to take some otherwise improbable lines. why do you think cornering speeds are higher in the ZL1 than the mustang? of course you assume it's outright grip, but being able to cut corners and devour rumble strips is a MAJOR contributor. i believe randy pobst made a similar statement in the (ridiculous) ZL1 vs boss 'comparison'. the rumble strips upset the boss 302(just like it would have the 1LE, with its 'fixed'/'static' suspension) yet the ZL1 just absorbed them and allowed randy to cut the corners off.
here's a quote from the recent ZR1-viper comparo...
Years ago, a Ferrari engineer was explaining to Randy, Angus and I that they (Ferrari) simply couldn’t figure out how the Nissan GT-R is able to lap the Nurburgring Nordschleife so quickly. “Oh, I know why,” Randy piped up. “Confidence. You can drive it faster because you’re more confident.”
the GT-R, another car that uses electronic to make joe schmo with too much money feel like mario andretti behind the wheel. granted, it's not the shocks that are doing it in this case, but rather that absurdly well engineered AWD system that allows the driver to do absolute stupid things with the car without suffering any consequences(until they out drive the computer... ...into a tree). and you don't think nissan put together a better chassis than ferrari - especially at 3800+lbs - do you?
it's also the reason that they gave the ZR1 the win over the new viper, those mag shocks working their magic vs the 'static'(again, for lack of a better word) pieces in the viper.[/longer_than_intended_rant]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXDo4dL7SU
we got a comedian in the house
Man your good....I'll tell ya that.

You don't think the irs has ANYTHING to do with smoothing out your rumble strip comment?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
This statement just screams butthurt. I'm the biggest ZL1 fanboy there is, but am smart enough to realize that unless your ZL1 is modded, and the GT500 is completely stock, that this is not happening! Carry on.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 5ohslayer
This statement just screams butthurt. I'm the biggest ZL1 fanboy there is, but am smart enough to realize that unless your ZL1 is modded, and the GT500 is completely stock, that this is not happening! Carry on.
lol...exactly.
ZL1 gets donkey punched at the dragstrip, where most of us race.
S.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like the group from svtpp are starting to car pool over here now. What you guys all get banned from cam5 so now you feel the need to troll on tech?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snorman
lol...exactly.
ZL1 gets donkey punched at the dragstrip, where most of us race.
S.
Please tell us more about your "stock" gt500 fast times even though you admitted to having a tuner in your car at the track but he was "just" data logging then a short time later you go from running 12.0s to low 11's.

Quick Reply: ZL1 outruns GT500 at VIR: Lightning Lap 2013