Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - All-New 2015 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Revealed - All-New 2015 Ford Mustang

Ford Mustang Marks 50 Years with All-New Sleek Design, Innovative Technologies and World-Class Performance

• All-new sophisticated design clearly inspired by 50 years of Mustang heritage evolved to attract wider array of customers and expand global market availability
  • Mustang now available with three engines offering a broader power of choice – a more powerful 5.0-liter V8, a 3.7-liter V6 and an all-new fuel-efficient 2.3-liter EcoBoost® engine
  • Mustang sets new performance and dynamics benchmarks for the brand with world-class handling, more precise steering control and enhanced ride comfort

The next chapter in the life of the iconic pony car begins today as the all-new Ford Mustang – loaded with innovative technologies and delivering world-class levels of performance – is simultaneously revealed around the globe in six cities on four continents.

"Ford Mustang inspires passion like no other car," said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, global product development. "The visceral look, sound and performance of Mustang resonates with people, even if they've never driven one. Mustang is definitely more than just a car – it is the heart and soul of Ford."

Mustang's impact goes well beyond the 9 million-plus cars sold in its 50 years of continuous production. It has made thousands of appearances in film, television, music and video games, and is the world's most-liked vehicle on Facebook. For the first time ever, Ford will bring Mustang to customers in key parts of Europe and Asia.

"We crafted this car with the goal of creating a contemporary interpretation of Mustang – an American automotive icon that symbolizes optimism and freedom for millions of people around the world," said Jim Farley, executive vice president of Ford global marketing, sales and service and Lincoln.

All-new shape, yet unmistakably Mustang

The clean-sheet design of both Mustang fastback and convertible evokes the essential character of the brand, retaining key design elements – including the long sculpted hood and short rear deck – with contemporary execution.

"You only get one chance to make a first impression, and when you see this car you immediately see a Mustang strong and true," said Moray Callum, Ford executive director, design, The Americas.

Several key design features define the all-new Mustang, including:
  • A lower, wider stance with a reduction in roof height, and wider rear fenders and track
  • The return of Mustang fastback with a sleeker profile enabled by more steeply sloped windshield and rear glass
  • Three-dimensional, tri-bar taillamps with sequential turn signals
  • Contemporary execution of the signature shark-bite front fascia and trapezoidal grille

Mustang convertible drivers will appreciate the standard multilayer insulated cloth top that gives the car a more upscale appearance and a quieter cabin. The new top lowers twice as fast as before, and has a sleeker profile when folded for open-air motoring.

The information and controls an active driver needs are all readily accessible in the aviation-inspired cockpit, which is executed with the highest degree of craftsmanship ever found in a Mustang. Large, clear instrumentation puts vehicle information right in front of the driver in the roomier cabin, while improved ergonomics and tactile switches and ***** provide better control. The added width and a new rear suspension contribute to improved shoulder and hip room for passengers, and a more usefully shaped trunk can accommodate two golf bags.

The Mustang experience

The way Mustang looks, drives and sounds is key to the visceral experience that makes drivers just want to get in and hit the road. With more options to choose from, there is a Mustang to fit any lifestyle. The upgraded V6 and V8 are joined by an all-new 2.3-liter EcoBoost® engine that brings state-of-the-art technology to Mustang.

Mustang GT continues with the latest edition of the throaty 5.0-liter V8, now featuring an upgraded valvetrain and cylinder heads that yield more than 420 horsepower and 390 lb.-ft. of torque. A new intake manifold improves low-speed breathing for better fuel economy, idle stability and emissions.

"This EcoBoost engine delivers where a Mustang driver expects it to, with a broad, flat torque curve that pours out when you stand on it for easy passing or hustling down a twisty road," said Dave Pericak, Ford Mustang chief engineer.

The Mustang EcoBoost engine uses direct injection, variable cam timing and turbocharging to deliver plenty of usable performance and projected segment-leading fuel efficiency. A unique intake manifold and turbocharger housing enable it to deliver the performance Mustang drivers expect with output projected at more than 305 horsepower and 300 lb.-ft. of torque.

With at least 300 horsepower and 270 lb.-ft. of torque on tap from the standard 3.7-liter V6, even the most accessible Mustang delivers the performance customers expect.

Drivers will appreciate smoother shifts from the updated manual gearbox, while a reworked automatic transmission features new steering wheel-mounted shift paddles for drivers who want the choice between convenience and control.

Most nimble pony ever

When life throws drivers a curve, the all-new Mustang sets new handling benchmarks for the brand, delivering world-class dynamics and ride quality.

"We already set a very high standard for Mustang's dynamics with Boss 302, and our goal was to go above and beyond that with this new car," said Pericak.

Mustang features all-new front and rear suspension systems. At the front, a new perimeter subframe helps to stiffen the structure while reducing mass, providing a better foundation for more predictable wheel control that benefits handling, steering and ride.

The new double-ball-joint front MacPherson strut system also enables the use of larger, more powerful brakes. This is expected to be the best stopping Mustang yet, with three available brake packages.

At the rear is an all-new integral-link independent rear suspension. The geometry, springs, dampers and bushings all have been specifically modified and tuned for this high-performance application. New aluminum rear knuckles help reduce unsprung mass for improved ride and handling.

Smarter than your average pony

The all-new Mustang features a significant amount of innovative technologies providing drivers with enhanced information, control and connectivity when they want it. From Intelligent Access with push-button start to SYNC® and MyKey® in every Mustang built, plus available Track Apps, MyColor gauges and new Shaker Pro audio system, drivers will be able to customize their time behind the wheel.

The feeling of freedom and confidence Mustang instills in its drivers is amplified when they can take control of how the car behaves. On a twisty back road or a weekend track day, the driver can tap the toggle switches on the console to quickly adjust steering effort, engine response, and transmission and electronic stability control settings using the available Selectable Drive Modes to create the perfect Mustang at any time.

The advanced new Ford-developed stability control system is tuned to maximize Mustang's dynamic capabilities. When the time comes to turn up the wick at the track, Mustang GT includes standard launch control that enables drivers to achieve smooth, consistent starts every time.

When it's time to back off and relax for the drive home, available advanced driver-assist features including Blind Spot Information System with cross-traffic alert and adaptive cruise control can help ease the load, while SYNC AppLink™ lets drivers control their smartphone apps to listen to their favorite form of entertainment.

50 years of Mustang

April 17, 2014, marks the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the original Ford Mustang and each 2015 model celebrates the milestone with a badge on the instrument panel that includes the galloping pony logo and the words "Mustang – Since 1964." Mustang will continue to be built in the United States at Flat Rock Assembly Plant.

"From day one, we knew if we were going to build a new Mustang, we had to do it right," said Pericak. "We built a new Mustang from the ground up that is quicker, better-looking, more refined and more efficient, without losing any of the raw appeal that people have associated with Mustang for half a century."
Old 12-05-2013, 06:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the roofline doesn't look as bad as the renderings.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

i wonder what it weighs , and im confused with the 4 and 6 cylinder , they are almost the same hp , unless they plan to get the v6 up to about 350 hp .
Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont mind it except for the back, the rear end looks awful to me. But its probably one of those deals where it needs to "grow" on you first so we will see.

I want to see the weight as well after all the rumors of it losing what 400lbs?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I still like it. The biggest question is, who is supplying the manual transmissions?

EDIT - Is it me, or are steering wheels now coming equipped with more buttons than a universal remote...?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The return of Mustang fastback with a sleeker profile enabled by more steeply sloped windshield and rear glass

That's what critics used to complain about on the Fbodies and why they preferred the Mustang.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
The return of Mustang fastback with a sleeker profile enabled by more steeply sloped windshield and rear glass

That's what critics used to complain about on the Fbodies and why they preferred the Mustang.
The current model, if you put your head against the headrest there is no way to hit the rear glass, but there's no help for you with the ceiling if you happen to be taller than average. You can slouch a tiny bit, but knees would hit the seats.

Girls tend to fit well back there, some have said it is cozy.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Looks like a great car.....major improvement over the current Mustang. Anxious to see how the 6thgen camaro counters next!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

370Z with a V8 lol
Old 12-05-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I still like it. The biggest question is, who is supplying the manual transmissions?

EDIT - Is it me, or are steering wheels now coming equipped with more buttons than a universal remote...?
Same transmission as the current car :/

I guess I had my expectations set too high for this car, but after seeing pictures of the actual car it really isn't doing it for me. It looks pretty good, but pretty bland and too Fusion-like. That rear end looks really bad too IMO. They are also saying it lost around 200lbs now but haven't thrown out any actual numbers. That may(probably) just mean the Eco-Boost Mustang is 200lbs lighter than the current V6 base, which isn't impressive considering the 400lbs they said it was going to lose.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im really liking the rear, minus the colored plastic on the diffuser. I think the front will grow on me soon, especially on mustangs which tend to have plenty of appearance mods to choose from. I just expected it to look a bit more different than the current 5th gens.

Anyone heard anything on the mach 1 making a comeback??

Just a rendering, but looks good IMO.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:17 PM

Looks decent, but I don't like the headlights.... even though they look better on that mach 1
Old 12-05-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think it mostly looks good. The back is a little too angled for me, so the rear looks funny in profile amd quarter angle shots. Looks good from behind though.

Gaining power and losing 200 lbs is always good. I would have liked to see the ecoboost 6. Maybe in the year or two.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:19 PM
***Repost Police***

Looks great to me.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not so sure I like it.

I'm sure this may appeal to the younger crowd. Not sure how the older generation buyers are going to react.

I feel the used car prices for 2011-14 mustangs are going to increase.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is what you get when you have a gangbang with a Fusion, 350Z, Aston Martin, & a 2013-14 GT.

I think the front end will eventually grow on me but that rear end is just plain ugly no matter how you look at it. Sticks out way to much & just reminds me of a mix between the 2010-12 & 2013-14 taillights. Then you got the side view of it... Yea. Its a 2 door Ford Fusion with a V8 that's all it is.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
I think it mostly looks good. The back is a little too angled for me, so the rear looks funny in profile amd quarter angle shots. Looks good from behind though.

Gaining power and losing 200 lbs is always good. I would have liked to see the ecoboost 6. Maybe in the year or two.

I think it is interesting that they went with 3 engine options. They should have done 2. In fact, I don't understand the need for the turbo 4 AND the 6. I understand the nostalgia of the SVO cars. The v6 was always the 'non-car person' choice. The tuner crowd will like the turbo car. But if you had to pick, wouldnt you go with the 8 if you were a gear head? They need to get rid of one of those options - probably the 6 cylinder.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gocartone
Same transmission as the current car :/

I guess I had my expectations set too high for this car, but after seeing pictures of the actual car it really isn't doing it for me. It looks pretty good, but pretty bland and too Fusion-like. That rear end looks really bad too IMO. They are also saying it lost around 200lbs now but haven't thrown out any actual numbers. That may(probably) just mean the Eco-Boost Mustang is 200lbs lighter than the current V6 base, which isn't impressive considering the 400lbs they said it was going to lose.
I noticed that too.. My expectation was that they were going to quietly change that transmission due to the issues I read about in 2011-2012. What does that say about Ford's faith in the MT-82? On the other hand, maybe they had no choice but to stay with the current trans. (contract or supply chain issues)
Old 12-05-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Different markeys will want dofferent things, both demographically and geographically. The eco 4 will offer something to the "tuner crowd" that the 6cyl never would. It will probably be more popular in Europe as well.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1997trans-am
I think it is interesting that they went with 3 engine options. They should have done 2. In fact, I don't understand the need for the turbo 4 AND the 6. I understand the nostalgia of the SVO cars. The v6 was always the 'non-car person' choice. The tuner crowd will like the turbo car. But if you had to pick, wouldnt you go with the 8 if you were a gear head? They need to get rid of one of those options - probably the 6 cylinder.
i agree with this too. I dont really see the point of the v6 if theyre using a turbo 4 already. If i was looking for a turbo 4 car, id stick to a focus st, or something similar to that. Not a mustang. But as long as they make money while still offering a v8, i cant complain.

Quick Reply: Revealed - All-New 2015 Ford Mustang