Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

pinks...BS or not...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006 | 03:50 AM
TECH Regular

Default pinks...BS or not...

went to pinks "All Out" this weekend in ennis...

rules...no sandbagging...

256 (?) cars showed for qualifying. 12 were chosen, then another 8 ran heads up for the last four spots in the sweet 16. im not sure how they chose the 16 (or 18...) and nobody in the pits could explain either. was supposed to be a street car event and not even half would even LOOSELY be considered as street cars (and my definition of a street car is pretty ****** loose...). besides all that, 250+ cars qualifying in a day and then it took HOURS to run 16 cars (8 races - just the first 16 cars)? c'mon. no sandbagging also; you can run 250 shot in qualifying but step up to 300 shot for finals? to me thats sandbagging...if you didnt run n2o in time trials you couldnt in finals, but you can up the shot? thats not right to me. especially the way they had the race setup. and because the cars they selected for the final 16 were 10.0 to 10.99 bracket they couldnt break out past 10.0, they ran the timing equipment at the track but didnt show the times.

im waiting to see the show to see how different it was in person...but if this weekend was how it is in real life for every episode i wont ever watch pinks again. i used to think pinks was a cool and interesting show but if in reality it is like this weekend...all i can say is i was fooled...
Old 09-07-2006 | 12:45 AM
On The Tree

HUH maybe that something special they did for the "all out" episode. I have read over there website several times and the way I understand it is, you fill out the application with name, car make & model, why should we cast you, how far will you travel, etc. They then choose a few participants, 2 to race and maybe one or two for backup, for every episode.

I maybe wrong because I have never been to a taping nor have I been on the show. I beleive there was a member on here who was on pinks and raced his brother. Maybe he will chime in on the whole process went for him!
Old 09-07-2006 | 03:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RpSS4844
HUH maybe that something special they did for the "all out" episode. I have read over there website several times and the way I understand it is, you fill out the application with name, car make & model, why should we cast you, how far will you travel, etc. They then choose a few participants, 2 to race and maybe one or two for backup, for every episode.

I maybe wrong because I have never been to a taping nor have I been on the show. I beleive there was a member on here who was on pinks and raced his brother. Maybe he will chime in on the whole process went for him!
Yeah the tosto brothers were on there on the 30th... from what I understand you do have to apply... cause they weren't gonna let them do it since they were brothers but because of the contract drawn up about the car being sold on ebay they let them race
Old 09-07-2006 | 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Makes you wonder why, on the episode last night, did they let the owner of the winning car (Monte) turn around and hand the title right back to the losing owner (Malibu wagon)?? Yet the Tosto bros did not deserve the same right??? WTF?!
Old 09-09-2006 | 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

I hate Pinks. It's not racing. It's a bunch of BS and drama with some cars thrown in to make it interesting. I try to watch it every once in a while when they show a couple interesting cars but I just get pissed off after the 1st run and turn it off.
Old 09-10-2006 | 03:42 AM
12 Second Club

From: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

I think there should be a TV show to where people send in Videos from all over with Drag/Street Racing. Its not to glamerize Street end of it but it makes for good TV. Hell it cant be anyworse than some of the crap on TV now days anyways.. But as Far as PINKS goes.. Hell IF I where on it and won and took someones ride Id give that MFR back to them which probley what happens any way but WHO cares. Id like to hear from someone whom has actually been on it to explain what they are allowed to do so via contact status meaning there are clauses that probley state they can not go into great details on certain things with PINKS. Some of it has been good TV but some is
Old 09-14-2006 | 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pinks is real. I haven't been a part of the all out show ,but the show we were on is real. You lose your car unless there is a special contract wrote up like our episode, other than that you lose the race you lose your ride.

Trending Topics

Old 09-14-2006 | 06:31 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Originally Posted by TOSTO RACING
Pinks is real. I haven't been a part of the all out show ,but the show we were on is real. You lose your car unless there is a special contract wrote up like our episode, other than that you lose the race you lose your ride.
C'mon, out of all the people in the country that could bid on the car that he "lost" he kept it by a measly $100.00. Ok...... Yeah its real!

Too bad he wasnt that "lucky" when you were racing.

BTW...It was still the BEST episode I have ever seen!
Old 09-14-2006 | 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

The show is real we had a special contract take your car on there and see

Ebay is full of people like that everyone new what the reserve was thats why it sat there I guess. I thought it would sell myself.

It was a col show though thanks
Old 09-15-2006 | 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So did your bro end up selling his car???
Old 09-15-2006 | 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Yea does he still have it or did it sell? i would like to know as well

Originally Posted by 842TA
So did your bro end up selling his car???
Old 09-15-2006 | 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

The car did not sell and I gave it back to hm
Old 09-15-2006 | 04:59 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

Originally Posted by TOSTO RACING
The car did not sell and I gave it back to hm
You are an Awesome brother! Nicely Done.
Old 09-15-2006 | 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Pinks motto is "Lose the race, lose your ride".

If anyone has ever lost the race and not lost their ride (as has happened several times) than the show is BS, period. Is it a cool idea? Yes. Does it have cool cars on there sometimes? Yes. Is it real? No.
Old 09-15-2006 | 05:23 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
Pinks motto is "Lose the race, lose your ride".

If anyone has ever lost the race and not lost their ride (as has happened several times) than the show is BS, period. Is it a cool idea? Yes. Does it have cool cars on there sometimes? Yes. Is it real? No.
A local guy here lost his race and kept his car. He said him and the other guy just made a side bet for decent money before hand. Dont know the guy personally, but I know he still has his car.
Old 09-15-2006 | 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

The show is alright, some of the cars on there are just retarded. There are a couple of things i dont really like about the show, the first being Rich Christiansen. He is just rediculous, flapping his arms around like a turkey. The second is the whole lengths thing. I can understand giving up a few lengths but anything over 6 or 7 is pretty rediculous. I would find it really embarrasing if i was on that show and had to ask for 20 lengths to win. Its on national tv and people are asking for half the track so they can win one race. All in all the tv show is done alright, just needs a few adjustments.
Old 09-16-2006 | 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KingSS
The second is the whole lengths thing. I can understand giving up a few lengths but anything over 6 or 7 is pretty rediculous. I would find it really embarrasing if i was on that show and had to ask for 20 lengths to win. Its on national tv and people are asking for half the track so they can win one race. All in all the tv show is done alright, just needs a few adjustments.
I think this is because the people who apply to be on the show are given a specified quickness for their cars, like high 10s, and then one *** brings a high 9 second car while the other guy brings the high 10 second car and gets his *** handed to him in the first 2 races. This is also noticeable when they inspect each other's car at the beginning of the shows, and one guy yells at the other guy for bringing a "race car" with no interior, expensive engine parts, killer suspension, etc.

They just need more enforcement to ensure both cars that are coming will be similar, because races won by a fender are a billion times more exciting than those won by 5 cars.
Old 09-20-2006 | 04:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Makes you wonder why, on the episode last night, did they let the owner of the winning car (Monte) turn around and hand the title right back to the losing owner (Malibu wagon)?? Yet the Tosto bros did not deserve the same right??? WTF?!
No, the winners kept the malibu wagon, i beleive the monte driver kept the wagon.
Old 09-20-2006 | 05:14 AM
12 Second Club

In all honesty, a true claimer race would be boring for TV drags... because NO ONE would spend tens of thousands (or more) to build a car that could lose. You'd have a batch of low buck cars running slow, or it would simply become a money game.

FACT: VERY few people can afford to spend what it costs to build a 9 or 10 second drag car and risk it without collateral benefits, like the major advertising exposure they get by running a car all season. Not on one race. You are GONNA have side bets; a couple hundred or a couple grand is one thing, but the faster the cars, the less likely the (relatively low exposure) show Pinks is going to result in a true "lose the race, lose your car" scenario.

That's what's cool about GRM (Grassroots Motorsports) challenges... they are true claimer racing, with a VERY limited value, fairly tightly enforced. Rules say for example you can buy a donor car, sell parts from it, and add that money back into your budget, but the budget is limited to about 2
grand, and ANYONE can buy your car for that price after the race. Keeps things honest, and the racing is drag, twisty, and show, so it's more all around... but not all that exciting for a TV show, because NONE of those will lift the front tires.

Quick Reply: pinks...BS or not...