Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ford drops to #4

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ford drops to #4

I found this on camaroz28.com and i was like wow. I cant wait to tell the mustang boy at work about it. He's going to ---->

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...SS01/612020354
Old 12-05-2006, 09:37 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of the American car makers are doing so hot. So there really isn't much to brag about.

GM had to push HARD to get rid of a lot of cars sitting on dealer lots. Employee pricing, yada yada yada, they extended all that so many times.

American stuff isn't moving off the lot, line production has dropped a ton. Bad situation...

Lets just hope Ford toughs it out, and comes out fighting. It ain't about brand preference, it's about our damned economy!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

this isnt a good thing. i want ford to pull out of this.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

Not something to cheer for. US automakers are in trouble and the root is at the employee benefits and contracts.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01bird58
Not something to cheer for. US automakers are in trouble and the root is at the employee benefits and contracts.

not correct. upper mngt. has made bad decisions for decades. its not the unions fault sales have dropped yr. after yr. its not their fault quality and reliability wasnt as good as imports. cutting corners and using cheaper parts caught up with them. its corp. greed and stupidity that put them where they are.

unions arent blameless but they have no control over mngt. stupidity.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:13 AM
10 Second Club

People are buying imports more, that means more money is going to japan than staying here.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
not correct. upper mngt. has made bad decisions for decades. its not the unions fault sales have dropped yr. after yr. its not their fault quality and reliability wasnt as good as imports. cutting corners and using cheaper parts caught up with them. its corp. greed and stupidity that put them where they are.

unions arent blameless but they have no control over mngt. stupidity.
I STRONGLY disagree. Although unions are great in most ways this is the true root of the problem. Only in a union can my uncle, who has not helped to build ONE single car in 5+ years because his GM plant closed, get paid in full with full benefits. And GM's benefits blow away any other job in the world. Multiply the tens of thousands of workers that are receiving pay for not working and you have a problem. If this is not fixed GM and Ford will go under no matter what product line is out or how big these companies are.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 490 Likes on 352 Posts

American women (the major purchasers of imports) need to be brought back to the real world and forgive GM and Ford for the crap that was built back in the 70's and early 80's. Money going overseas is very detrimental to the economy and American way. I don't care where they build the foreign cars in the U.S. as the jobs they created have just partially replaced the jobs lost, and at much LOWER salaries. The profits still go to the foreigners. I have forgiven Chevy for the Vega and Ford for the Pinto. Time to move forward and hope the 'big boys' never do that to us again. Today's American cars are decent, not great, but certainly not a risk when 5 year 100k warranties are now commonplace.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

I always try to buy stuff made in the usa, Snap-On, Craftman, GM cars, and anything else that I need. It might cost more but i know it's helping the economy.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Can the worthless *** unions move plants into right to work states and all three of them will be fine in the long run. No business can make money paying people to sit on their ***. The japanese companies have already proven a high quality reliable vehicle can be made and produced right here in America with American labor and without all of the union bs attached. They have been doing it for almost twenty years already. Toyota is a prime example with their plant they just opened in San Antonio, Texas.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish them luck, it was sad hearing the plant closures Ford was facing. I'm not a ford guy buy any stretch, but i'll root for Ford over any import. We need to keep the American Auto industry alive, for the american investors, american engineers, american workers etc... A vehicle assembled in the U.S. does nothing for our economy compared to what a vehicle made could do.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01bird58
I STRONGLY disagree. Although unions are great in most ways this is the true root of the problem. Only in a union can my uncle, who has not helped to build ONE single car in 5+ years because his GM plant closed, get paid in full with full benefits. And GM's benefits blow away any other job in the world. Multiply the tens of thousands of workers that are receiving pay for not working and you have a problem. If this is not fixed GM and Ford will go under no matter what product line is out or how big these companies are.

that was negotiated. how is that the unions fault they agreed to this?

it still has no effect on poor sales and designs and defects and warranty claims. thats no fault of unions nor is skyrocketing health costs.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Can the worthless *** unions move plants into right to work states and all three of them will be fine in the long run. No business can make money paying people to sit on their ***. The japanese companies have already proven a high quality reliable vehicle can be made and produced right here in America with American labor and without all of the union bs attached. They have been doing it for almost twenty years already. Toyota is a prime example with their plant they just opened in San Antonio, Texas.

toyota pays similarly to UAW plants to keep them out. once again, unions arent why quality is poor. thats mngt. greed and stupidity.

btw, the titan has had many quality problems if thats the plant youre referring to.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

...Tax breaks for American car buyers...
Old 12-06-2006, 02:32 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by NC01TA
American women (the major purchasers of imports) need to be brought back to the real world and forgive GM and Ford for the crap that was built back in the 70's and early 80's. Money going overseas is very detrimental to the economy and American way. I don't care where they build the foreign cars in the U.S. as the jobs they created have just partially replaced the jobs lost, and at much LOWER salaries. The profits still go to the foreigners. I have forgiven Chevy for the Vega and Ford for the Pinto. Time to move forward and hope the 'big boys' never do that to us again. Today's American cars are decent, not great, but certainly not a risk when 5 year 100k warranties are now commonplace.
What is your beef with women? I mean, I'm a women hater myself, but geeze...it's their dumbtastic ideas and worthless brians, ok, I see your point, but it ain't just women that are buying imports. If there had been a decent, affordable, stylistic, and relatively quick and fun car from the American auto makers (that wasn't an SRT-4 neon), I might be driving one. Alas, there isn't anything that fit me and my personality.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 12-06-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im am by far happy that ford is having a hard time. I hope they come out of this stronger than ever. I will always buy american. But it will always be gm first.

I just dont see anything in fords line up that would make me go get one. There are more and better choice's at gm and d/c.

One or two cars like the mustang or fuzion cant hold a company together.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

gvmnt should just highly tax the foreign cars and pass the extra cost to the consumer...might be illegal but damnit, ill never buy foreign!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:22 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
gvmnt should just highly tax the foreign cars and pass the extra cost to the consumer...might be illegal but damnit, ill never buy foreign!
It's not that...they just need to levy a tarriff on the **** that's imported to keep the bastards (CHINA) from ******* with the monetary exchange rates and developing a trade deficit.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

If the big three would look to the jap's methods of marketing, engineering and quality control they stand a good chance at coming out. But is seems like in detroit the lights are on but no one is home. Regardless of what is causing it a company cannot lose money like they are and keep the doors open. I was a die hard gm guy until recently but nothing in there model line is exciting or affordable. I'll stick to rebuilding their old stuff my 98 k3500 and my 96 s-10. But my big pisser with gm is their quality control and customer service. I did a caddy clip conversion on my 98' I ordered all gm parts. The driverside fender flare is on back order it has come in incorrect or damaged four different times. I ordered it back in June so I have a 4500 front clip and no fender flares. We do tons of business through our shop with them my bitching has gone up the line and no one cares. I also kept having problems with leaking new gm injectors in the BBC in the same truck. I put one set in I paid for and two sets that were very reluctantly given under warranty. When it's hot they leak down. I destroyed three starters with the occasional backfire. I put a set of injectors for a 4.6 crown vic in it which are the same 19lb/hr and changed the electrical connectors and it has driven and started flawlessly everytime for the last month. So if there are any gm engineers reading this pm me please with an excuse I'd love to hear it .

Quick Reply: Ford drops to #4