Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Silverado VS Tundra VS F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:51 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Japan routinely undervalues its currency so they can manipulate exchange rates/ sell products cheaper here, some times only at 85% of its value. Then they tariff the **** out of stuff going in to make money there. No to mention the product dumping they did when they were taking over the electronics market. The government wont do anything about it though, that is the part that really sucks.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TT632
Before you jump on a board and start calling people ignorant use your spell check and check your punctuation. You nullify any point you try to make by proving yourself to be ignorant.

How many jobs are lost? Domestic auto makers employ 3.1 American workers for every 1 that the Japanese auto makers employ. GM employs more American auto workers than all of the foreign OEMS combined, 110,000 for GM vs. 103,000 All foreign. (source: Level Field Institute).

Canada and Mexico are actually good trading partners compared to Japan, They actually buy US goods. In the early 2000's our trade imbalance with Japan was 65 Billion dollars, at the same time our Imbalance with Canada was 8.1 Billion dollars and Mexico, a paltry 4.8 Billion.

If your going to put up any argument. Do a little research first.

You answered my question. So basically, there would be 103,000 less employed Americans.

Thanks for the correction in grammer. I didnt know, this was spelling 101.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Before you jump on a board and start calling people ignorant use your spell check and check your punctuation. You nullify any point you try to make by proving yourself to be ignorant.

How many jobs are lost? Domestic auto makers employ 3.1 American workers for every 1 that the Japanese auto makers employ. GM employs more American auto workers than all of the foreign OEMS combined, 110,000 for GM vs. 103,000 All foreign. (source: Level Field Institute).

Canada and Mexico are actually good trading partners compared to Japan, They actually buy US goods. In the early 2000's our trade imbalance with Japan was 65 Billion dollars, at the same time our Imbalance with Canada was 8.1 Billion dollars and Mexico, a paltry 4.8 Billion.

If your going to put up any argument. Do a little research first.

Way to OWN the newbie importfanTOYboy!! They must all really HATE that level playing field site! I'm going to guess he is a Nippon "transplant" worker as well. In fact, I'm willing to bet that TOY actually gives classes/seminars on company time, on the topic of how to defend against/defeat the facts on that site.
I could only wish that as many American citizens were as intent on NOT letting Japan, Inc. win THIS war, as they were on not letting the land of the rising sun win the last one we fought against them!!
Old 07-09-2007, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pssonu
You answered my question. So basically, there would be 103,000 less employed Americans.
That's right, he did answer your question. But guess what brainiac, there would be 20x that many Americans employed if your TOY/Honduh/etc. were NOT here, and the sheeple public bought Impalas/Fusions/new Malibus, etc. instead of your Camrys/Accords/Corollas, etc.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had pssonu even just 500 measly posts that might indicate he had geniune interest in contributing to LS1Tech. Given that he has only 4 posts and they are all somewhat aggitating I would say this guy is asking for the

Don't get me wrong. If REAL member got in here and said something Pro forgien car I would completely read into it. Seems like he is here to make trouble and not dispute reality.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Had pssonu even just 500 measly posts that might indicate he had geniune interest in contributing to LS1Tech. Given that he has only 4 posts and they are all somewhat aggitating I would say this guy is asking for the

Don't get me wrong. If REAL member got in here and said something Pro forgien car I would completely read into it. Seems like he is here to make trouble and not dispute reality.

Wow, so quit to throw out the "ban" term ehh! If someone doesnt agree with what your saying, they get the boot right. Make sense to me, as well as you buying an American made Mexican car . American built, Mexican made.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Way to OWN the newbie importfanTOYboy!! They must all really HATE that level playing field site! I'm going to guess he is a Nippon "transplant" worker as well. In fact, I'm willing to bet that TOY actually gives classes/seminars on company time, on the topic of how to defend against/defeat the facts on that site.
I could only wish that as many American citizens were as intent on NOT letting Japan, Inc. win THIS war, as they were on not letting the land of the rising sun win the last one we fought against them!!

The idea that a car purchase can be classed as benefitting Americans rather than foreigners is frankly silly unless you're in the market for a Panoz Esperante or something along those lines. Even if you're buying a Porsche or Ferrari, a chunk of the cost has gone into the pockets of a US importer, a US dealer, and even the EPA employee paid to check that it meets emissions standards.

Let me ask you. Would you buy a Dodge, Jeep or a Chryler? Im prett sure you would own a viper. Or would you! Considering this is a German Corporation.

""According to Forbes magazine, nine percent of the U.S. gross domestic product is generated by the automobile industry, impacting the livelihoods of millions of Americans. But those livelihoods aren’t solely dependent on ailing GM and Ford; several Asian and European automakers have invested heavily within U.S. borders. Known as “transplants,” these overseas automakers directly or indirectly employ hundreds of thousands of people in the United States. From design studios and proving grounds to research and development facilities and assembly plants, transplants are investing billions of dollars into the U.S. economy to build state-of-the-art automobiles, taking up the slack where GM and Ford have left off.""

"''Fortunately, as assembly plants have closed in northern regions of the U.S., transplants have been opening huge, state-of-the-art facilities in the Deep South. Three are open now, and a fourth ribbon-cutting ceremony for a Toyota Tundra truck-building factory in San Antonio, Texas, is slated for 2006.""( Yep while GM is opening a plant in Korea)

So are Americans, not to purchase Land Rover, Saab, Volvo, Mazda and Jaguar, although they're not built here? But are part of GM and Ford. It should be pointed out that the automotive industry is becoming more and more internationalized with the emerging global economy. There are basically no 100% American or Japanese or European cars. A car with a foreign brand may have more than 50% domestic parts while a car with a domestic brand may have more than 50% foreign parts. Therefore, it does not make any sense to mention a car is a foreign car or domestic car.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:38 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Wow, so quit to throw out the "ban" term ehh! If someone doesnt agree with what your saying, they get the boot right. Make sense to me, as well as you buying an American made Mexican car . American built, Mexican made.
At least most of the money comes here, and the money that doesnt is going to a fair trade nation. Unfair competition is what forced them to go outside the US. **** Japan's government and their shady economic tactics, and shame on our government for not doing something about it.
The only thing getting pissed on mr "pss on u" is your newb posts and your **** attitude.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mzoomora
At least most of the money comes here, and the money that doesnt is going to a fair trade nation. Unfair competition is what forced them to go outside the US. **** Japan's government and their shady economic tactics, and shame on our government for not doing something about it.
The only thing getting pissed on mr "pss on u" is your newb posts and your **** attitude.

No shittie attitude here, buddy! Your upset becuase Im not agreeing with you, are sharing your ideas. Maybe I came off wrong, but I dont know how your able to discern that over the internet. Maybe your interpretation, was a little sensitive. I dont know, but thats my synopsis.

No, your whole generalization is distorted. Ford and GM, have long sold and built cars in Asia, South America and some parts of Europe. And in recent years, they also have begun acquiring smaller companies. Ford now owns Volvo, Jaguar and Range Rover and has a one-third interest in Mazda. Saab is part of General Motors. So those autoworkers in Sweden or Great Britain are likewise generating profits for far-off corporate headquarters -- this time in Detroit. Isnt this ironic, in what you've been "TRYING" to preach!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

More like American made, Mexican built.
Got it backwards there buddy.

Let me ask you. Would you buy a Dodge, Jeep or a Chryler? Im prett sure you would own a viper. Or would you! Considering this is a German Corporation.
Get out from under your rock lately?
Chrysler was sold to Cerberus, which is an American company.

It is true that the automotive industry is becoming increasingly global.

However GM, Ford, and Chrysler are still American companies.
Every penny made selling each car benefits them.

Whether it be an American-built Chevy, a Mexico-built Ford, an English-built Jaguar, a Swedish-built Saab, a Belgian-built Opel, or what have you.
An American company benefits from that sale regardless, and that supports the American economy, which supports US jobs.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

No shittie attitude here, buddy! Your upset becuase Im not agreeing with you, are sharing your ideas. Maybe I came off wrong, but I dont know how your able to discern that over the internet. Maybe your interpretation, was a little sensitive. I dont know, but thats my synopsis.

No, your whole generalization is distorted. Ford and GM, have long sold and built cars in Asia, South America and some parts of Europe. And in recent years, they also have begun acquiring smaller companies. Ford now owns Volvo, Jaguar and Range Rover and has a one-third interest in Mazda. Saab is part of General Motors. So those autoworkers in Sweden or Great Britain are likewise generating profits for far-off corporate headquarters -- this time in Detroit. Isnt this ironic, in what you've been "TRYING" to preach!

I stated that a long time ago. Why are you back pedaling?
Everyone has their hand is someone elses' honeypots. This thread is concerned with billions of dollars and 100's of thousands of jobs. Not the fact that GM might of bought a computer componet that was from Asia but did all the high paying design work here. The scale doesn't have to be 100% in either direction. We just want it tipped in our favour.

I believe the domestic mentality will push for a better product. I believe the the imported menality will push for a more miserly product. They will penny pinch all the more. They won't have as much quality. They may circumvent US laws.

I have seen so many reproduction pieces that are substandard, sometimes dangerous, and don't fit OEM US specs. Who wants something of worse quality and you have to modify what you have to make it fit. This experience has def carried over into my opinions of the forgien auto market as well. It can be proven deductively that I have a valid but disturbing arguement.

I guess ultimately what I want to say is that I and many other US citizens WOULD benefit more if the market share was more domestic than imports. I am not saying no one benefits at all from imports but the US econ would be stronger in trying times.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 07-09-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
More like American made, Mexican built.
Got it backwards there buddy.

Get out from under your rock lately?
Chrysler was sold to Cerberus, which is an American company.

It is true that the automotive industry is becoming increasingly global.

However GM, Ford, and Chrysler are still American companies.
Every penny made selling each car benefits them.

Whether it be an American-built Chevy, a Mexico-built Ford, an English-built Jaguar, a Swedish-built Saab, a Belgian-built Opel, or what have you.
An American company benefits from that sale regardless, and that supports the American economy, which supports US jobs.

My statements are for the people that continue to say, Americans do not profit from having Japanese companies in the US.

Your not dissecting what Im saying. I dont think I can be any more pellucid, than what Ive already composed.

I dont want you to think, Im not apprehending what your saying. This is not the case. For one, I own a 2005 Tahoe and a 2007 350z. But Im not going to be naive enough, to solely imply, that my money gets shipped straight to Japan, after making my purchase. Everyone benefits. From the American worker that sold me the vehicle, to the owner of the dealership, from were it was aquired.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Viper is all-american, guy. Designed, made, and tested right here in the USA. No German ever had a hand in its life.

Second of all, Cerberus owns them now and they are American.

And for that matter, Mexicans and Canadians are technically Americans...North and Central .....
Old 07-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
The Viper is all-american, guy. Designed, made, and tested right here in the USA. No German ever had a hand in its life.

And for that matter, Mexicans and Canadians are technically Americans...North and Central .....

Post #52 second paragraph sir
Old 07-10-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

I don't believe pssonu should be banned. I'm not sure what his objective is, other than to be argumentative. He owns a Tahoe and a 350Z. Tahoe is mostly domestic content and close to 100% N. American content. 350Z comes from Japan and can be considered close to 100% Japanese content. From the above we can consider him a fence rider (neither bad, nor good).

You can break down imports to individual products to create an impression that US based Auto makers employ fewer Americans than the Japanese, but overall the US Auto makers will always employ more American workers than Foreign Automakers.

Factoid: GM has 27 American assembly plants. Toyota has 6. And Toyota is the biggest of the foreign auto makers.

Global trade is fine as long as we are on equal footing. We have been and will continue to be locked out of foreign markets because they know (Foreign governments) they benefit economically by doing so.
And now China is following the same model that the Japanese created.
Apparently, Detroit doesn't do as good of a job lobbying Washington as the foreign Auto manufacturers do.

Last edited by TT632; 07-10-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

I don't believe pssonu should be banned. I'm not sure what his objective is, other than to be argumentative. He owns a Tahoe and a 350Z. Tahoe is mostly domestic content and close to 100% N. American content. 350Z comes from Japan and can be considered close to 100% Japanese content. From the above we can consider him a fence rider (neither bad, nor good).

You can break down imports to individual products to create an impression that US based Auto makers employ fewer Americans than the Japanese, but overall the US Auto makers will always employ more American workers than Foreign Automakers.

Factoid: GM has 27 American assembly plants. Toyota has 6. And Toyota is the biggest of the foreign auto makers.

Global trade is fine as long as we are on equal footing. We have been and will continue to be locked out of foreign markets because they know (Foreign governments) they benefit economically by doing so.
And now China is following the same model that the Japanese created.
Yeah, I agree, don't ban him, but keep giving arguements/facts/articles that refute his "import nameplate/transplant defense". He sounds like those Econ 101 "geniuses" we get on here every once and a while to stir up all kinds of $h!t. But that's OK.
He's right, SOME Americans profit from having foreign companies on our soil. But somehow I don't think that all of the "fat, lazy Americans" (the Nippon Minister of Trade's words, NOT mine) will all of a sudden give up cars and driving if they had to buy ONLY domestic product, and NO foreign product. In which case A LOT, maybe even MOST Americans will profit, or at least be able to have jobs if they want one.
I want to hear "pisses" defense of foreign governments' imbalanced trade policies which continue as we speak, even though they have already collectively destroyed our whole manufacturing base.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Post #52 second paragraph sir
Post #999 of KISS MY *** . Look in the history books, circa 1992. I don't see ANY German involvement in the conception of the Viper.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

Post #999 of KISS MY *** . Look in the history books, circa 1992. I don't see ANY German involvement in the conception of the Viper.

Nice *** you got there!
Old 07-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Banned

No but the French company Oreca, designed and built the GTS-R.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

No but the French company Oreca, designed and built the GTS-R.
Yes they did, and that was legendary! Man that was a while ago...

And Zakspeed is German.

However, they did not build or design the GTS or RT/10, the production versions. IIRC Shelby had a hand in the Viper pot when it was being developed, as well as Lamborghini, who crafted the original V-10 out of the Dodge Magnum V10.

You know what? I'm thinking this guy is actually worth not banning. I say keep him.

Quick Reply: Silverado VS Tundra VS F150