Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Silverado VS Tundra VS F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:49 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a Denali 4x4 pickup with the 6.2 and it was damn fast for a truck, it left the line hard and kept pulling. You should drive one for comparisons sake since you have driven the Tundra.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

American trucks win. For that matter, so do cars, and whatever else, but I won't start another domestic vs import argument.

The 6.2 isn't available in the Chevys, it's a GMC thing, go drive a Denali. Also, the Duramax/Allison is a BEAST, it'll run down and put bus lengths on any Tundra, comparably equipped . (Comparing gassers to diesels, I don't care. Toyota made unfair comparisons. This is, in some ways, more fair than theirs -- our top-of-the-line to theirs )

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
GM actually asked Toyota to tone down and take out several of their wordings and stretches of truth in this series of commericials. Considering Toyota actually did this to avoid lawsuits from GM and other corporations I would say someone is a liar here!!
Where'd you hear that? I have family in GM and I asked them to keep me posted for when GM quit putting up with the BS, and I haven't heard anything. If they did, that's GREAT.

Now sue the bastards anyways, put it in the limelight.

Last edited by IFRYRCE; 07-22-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mzoomora
I drove a Denali 4x4 pickup with the 6.2 and it was damn fast for a truck, it left the line hard and kept pulling. You should drive one for comparisons sake since you have driven the Tundra.
I'm sure the 6.2 does pull hard, and its something I will test drive. If I was to buy a truck for performance, I'd want a 2wd regular cab, and to date, GM isn't putting the 6.2 in a regular cab truck; whereas Toyota does put the 5.7 in a regular cab.

I will be curious to see how equal models perform.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IFRYRCE

The 6.2 isn't available in the Chevys, it's a GMC thing, go drive a Denali. Also, the Duramax/Allison is a BEAST, it'll run down and put bus lengths on any Tundra, comparably equipped . (Comparing gassers to diesels, I don't care. Toyota made unfair comparisons. This is, in some ways, more fair than theirs -- our top-of-the-line to theirs )
While I agree with you, the comparison is not even remotely close. There is no way to compare a 3/4 ton diesel to a half ton gasser.

A stock 3/4 ton 4wd Duramax does not run 14.8 1/4 mile times (4wd extended cab Tundra). The best I've seen from a 2007 Duramax is mid to low 15 seconds - which is fast for its class. I hate Toyota as much as the next guy, but if one vehicle runs a 14.8 and the other a 15.2, the Tundra is putting bus lengths on the Duramax (assuming 1/10th equals one car length, we are at 6 car lengths in this hypothetical race). Add a programmer to the diesel (any diesel for that matter) and you can get high 13's - but we are talking stock form here.

Yes, a 3/4 ton diesel will tow more. That's common knowledge. Whether its Duramax, Cummins or Powerstroke it will always tow more than a half ton. Why? Torque. Frame strength. Beefy driveline components.

Again, there is no logical way to compare a 3/4 ton diesel to a 1/2 ton gasser.

Last edited by patricksd; 07-23-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

That Crap Toyota runs that 1/4 with a 4.30 gear.
The New 6.2 Denali will go 14.60-14.80 on a 3.42 gear. Toyota sucks. Granted the GM benefits form a larger motor, but they cost the same.
My buddy Chris has an 07 fully loaded Denali extended cab and with 312 miles and temp tags he went 14.66 at 95.23 bone stock. Toyota does not make the fastest truck on the market, the make the crapiest.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
That Crap Toyota runs that 1/4 with a 4.30 gear.
The New 6.2 Denali will go 14.60-14.80 on a 3.42 gear. Toyota sucks. Granted the GM benefits form a larger motor, but they cost the same.
My buddy Chris has an 07 fully loaded Denali extended cab and with 312 miles and temp tags he went 14.66 at 95.23 bone stock. Toyota does not make the fastest truck on the market, the make the crapiest.
Unfortunately, Denali's are NOT roaming the streets in packs and selling like hot cakes. So, its not very common to run across one. Just like finding an SRT10 is difficult.

If you think how the Tundra performance-wise is crap, you need to wake up. I don't give a **** who makes the truck, competition is good for all of us. Ask yourself this, without the Tundra, I highly doubt Ford, GM and Chrysler would be offering 400+ horsepower trucks with 6 speed autos that tow 10,000+ lbs.

And for the record, a RCSB Tundra runs the 1/4 mile faster than 14.6-14.8. So, IT is the fastest n/a mass produced stock half ton on the market
Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by patricksd
Unfortunately, Denali's are NOT roaming the streets in packs and selling like hot cakes. So, its not very common to run across one. Just like finding an SRT10 is difficult.

If you think how the Tundra performance-wise is crap, you need to wake up. I don't give a **** who makes the truck, competition is good for all of us. Ask yourself this, without the Tundra, I highly doubt Ford, GM and Chrysler would be offering 400+ horsepower trucks with 6 speed autos that tow 10,000+ lbs.

And for the record, a RCSB Tundra runs the 1/4 mile faster than 14.6-14.8. So, IT is the fastest n/a mass produced stock half ton on the market
You can put a rocket on a terd but it doesn't mean I'm gonna drive one!
I used to be a Toyota fan then I realized they suck. Where is Toyota's 400HP Luxury truck? Oh thats right they don't have one! Let me put 4.30 gears in my Seirra Denali then we'll see what's up.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by greebler
You can put a rocket on a terd but it doesn't mean I'm gonna drive one!
I used to be a Toyota fan then I realized they suck. Where is Toyota's 400HP Luxury truck? Oh thats right they don't have one! Let me put 4.30 gears in my Seirra Denali then we'll see what's up.

So basically you need to modify your vehicle, to keep up with a stock Tundra.

Toyota doesnt need a luxury truck, they have Lexus for that. Your problem is, you see things totally different market wise. Why would Toyota need a luxury vehicle? Who would they be competing with?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Proof?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:36 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Unfortunately, Denali's are NOT roaming the streets in packs and selling like hot cakes.
Tundra's arent selling like hotcakes either. Better than the previous version but not near the numbers they hoped. I see the same 3 sitting at my local dealer since they were released. Im sure they are selling some but not well enough to get rid of the ones parked in front.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:41 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by pssonu
So basically you need to modify your vehicle, to keep up with a stock Tundra.

Toyota doesnt need a luxury truck, they have Lexus for that. Your problem is, you see things totally different market wise. Why would Toyota need a luxury vehicle? Who would they be competing with?
His Denali is equally priced with a top line Tundra- which isnt nearly as nice. A Tundra Limited is direct competition for a Denali- Similar price, layout, capabilities, etc.

Show me times for a stock crew cab Tundra that will beat the ones he posted. Also the Denali will get better gas mileage.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Teching In

His Denali is equally priced with a top line Tundra- which isnt nearly as nice. A Tundra Limited is direct competition for a Denali- Similar price, layout, capabilities, etc.

Show me times for a stock crew cab Tundra that will beat the ones he posted. Also the Denali will get better gas mileage.
Don't forget to mention the aftermarket is way better for GM than Toyota. Also, GM knows how to make a cam shaft without it snapping like a toothpick.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by greebler
Don't forget to mention the aftermarket is way better for GM than Toyota. Also, GM knows how to make a cam shaft without it snapping like a toothpick.

OMG jumping on the bandwagon arent we! There were less than 10 cases of that actually happening. Yes 10! Are should I say, Toyota knows how to make a roof(C6 Z06) without flying off.

Becuase the Tundra is similary priced, doesnt mean, its in direct competition. A Z06 is the price of a Lotus Exige S, but they're not in comparison.

http://www.pressroom.toyota.com/Rele...T2007070389166

As the subject says, Tundra sales were up 137% in June, can't wait to see what kind of sales volume the Tundra hits when they hit full production!
Old 07-23-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget to mention the aftermarket is way better for GM than Toyota.
+1
The aftermarket including GM Performance Parts has an incredible amount of parts available for the LSx platform. Arguably, Ford would be the only manufacturer that has a similar amount of support. Take your GM 1/2 ton 4.8 and plug in a 6.0, 6.2 or LS7 for that matter. Cranks, rods cams, blocks, heads, etc, If your doing mods it's the only real choice to build a fast truck. If you want a Foreign brand, stock unloaded 1/2 ton truck that accelerates over X-distance faster than the competition, than the Tundra may be for you. If you are planning on building the fastest accelerating truck that you can build, the GM half ton is the only way to go. If you look at the fastest trucks in the truck site, you will see this is the case.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:25 PM
14 Second Truck Club

OMG jumping on the bandwagon arent we! There were less than 10 cases of that actually happening. Yes 10! Are should I say, Toyota knows how to make a roof(C6 Z06) without flying off.

Becuase the Tundra is similary priced, doesnt mean, its in direct competition. A Z06 is the price of a Lotus Exige S, but they're not in comparison.

http://www.pressroom.toyota.com/Rele...T2007070389166

As the subject says, Tundra sales were up 137% in June, can't wait to see what kind of sales volume the Tundra hits when they hit full production!
So you are saying that 2 very similarly priced 1/2 ton, crew cab, 4wd pickup trucks with similar trim levels are not competition?

Also, for a new model that has gotten the press this one has to only be up 42% on the year (when Toyota was hoping to double their market share) is not the result they were hoping for. They had a great month to get them to that 42%, but lets see what they do for the whole year.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you are saying that 2 very similarly priced 1/2 ton, crew cab, 4wd pickup trucks with similar trim levels are not competition?

Also, for a new model that has gotten the press this one has to only be up 42% on the year (when Toyota was hoping to double their market share) is not the result they were hoping for. They had a great month to get them to that 42%, but lets see what they do for the whole year.
+1. Equally priced half ton trucks. The LSx series of motors being proven performers. How does the Yota 5.7 do over the long haul?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need to wake up. :
I am awake, I don't recall ever owning a Toyota or hopping on the bandwagon. So I will crap on them daily...
I will take my 18 year old GMC and tow a new Tundra around the Parking Lot.
No import nameplates for me.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

The Tundra will not out sale any Domestic truck, thats not Toyotas plan here. Their plan is to cut into the profits, of the big 3 and thats what they're doing. Their goal is to sale 200k-250k trucks a year and at this rate, they will make it.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ford trucks and SUV's catch fire way to much i would never in my life buy one... Ill stick to my loyal GM
Old 07-24-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Tundra will not out sale any Domestic truck, thats not Toyotas plan here. Their plan is to cut into the profits, of the big 3 and thats what they're doing. Their goal is to sale 200k-250k trucks a year and at this rate, they will make it.
They can make all the trucks they want, but eventually they're going to have to start selling them ...

Quick Reply: Silverado VS Tundra VS F150