Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

MoreToe Otta Vs GM Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suprastars
Of course I know that Holden is GM. But the phrase "buy American" is thrown out the window.

Its pointless arguing whats built where! Nothing is 100% American anymore.
Then let's say "Buy fair trade" GM: we make our cars by using as much labour and industrial power as we can in developed countries similar to the USA. This helps the global economy whilst creating a power trade partner for the US improving the future outlook for us.

People who change IDs all the time. Seems shady to me. Why should anyone listen if they act paranoid while spreading their parpaganda.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Good find and read!
Old 02-06-2008, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
People who change IDs all the time. Seems shady to me. Why should anyone listen if they act paranoid while spreading their parpaganda.
Pissy 'importTOYboy' Chrissy MUST do this to keep from being perma-banned!!
Old 02-06-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Summary of the link

HARA-KIRI is a uniquely Japanese form of suicide. Its corporate equivalent is karoshi, “death by overwork”.

On November 30th the Nagoya District Court accepted Hiroko Uchino's claim that her husband, Kenichi, a third-generation Toyota employee, was a victim of karoshi when he died in 2002 at the age of 30. He collapsed at 4am at work, having put in more than 80 hours of overtime each month for six months before his death. “The moment when I am happiest is when I can sleep,” Mr Uchino told his wife the week of his death.

As a manager of quality control, Mr Uchino was constantly training workers, attending meetings and writing reports when not on the production line. Toyota treated almost all that time as voluntary and unpaid.

Toyota, which is challenging GM as the world's largest carmaker, is often praised for the efficiency and flexibility of its workforce. Ms Uchino has a different view. “It is because so many people work free overtime that Toyota reaps profits,” she says.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:26 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
your certainly not american in the least bit... GM, ford, and dodge will be more american than toyota will ever be PERIOD and that is why my business will go to them. Sorry people on this board feel that way and you won't change anyone's mind. We live in a global market today and everyone understands that not every single part in an American brand name vehicle will be made in the USA, however, most of the parts will be. Go back to ilovetoyotaandhatemycountry.com
This fagboy, oops I mean fanboy troll will never understand supporting a company that supports your country, employs more Americans, keeps profits stateside, treats their employees great(maybe to great) and builds a damn good product to boot.

Nothing may be 100% American anymore, but given a choice I will buy the product that is 85% American than the one that is pretending to be 50%.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mzoomora
This fagboy, oops I mean fanboy troll will never understand supporting a company that supports your country, employs more Americans, keeps profits stateside, treats their employees great(maybe to great) and builds a damn good product to boot.

Nothing may be 100% American anymore, but given a choice I will buy the product that is 85% American than the one that is pretending to be 50%.
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ory=amMade0707

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...g-a-dodge-ram/

Dodges transmission comes from Germany.

Look at post #12. My1st truck has an Equinox that is a GM/Suzuki joint venture. Where the engine is was built in China and the transmission was built in Japan. Are you to say its more American than a Tundra? Where the Tundra has 75% domestic parts, with the most expensive components (engine and transmission) being made in the U.S.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...can-usat_N.htm

It's a global industry now, in which all manufacturers are touching their automaking toes on the shores of just about every industrialized nation. Even GM, long the icon of American industry, hedges its bets. "We're very proud for the economic role we play in this country," says GM spokesman Greg Martin. "However, we're a global car company that happens to be based in the United States."

^^^^^^^^ pay attention to the last sentence! Seems like he's downplaying what your so adamently trying to explain.

The contradictions of a borderless automotive economy are borne out by government figures that track where vehicles are made and their domestic parts content. The search for the American car leads to:

•Foreign cars made in the USA. Honda's Ohio-built Accord is 70% domestic parts. Toyota's Corolla is made in a California plant alongside General Motors models.

•American cars made abroad. Ford's hit Fusion sedan is made in Mexico; only half its parts are from the USA or Canada. GM pitches its small HHR sport utility and giant Suburban straight at the American market, but they, too, are built in Mexico. HHR has only 41% American and Canadian parts.

•Famous American names and foreign owners. More than three-quarters of the parts in Dodge's new Nitro SUV, which is assembled in Toledo, Ohio, are American or Canadian. But the profits go to Germany because Dodge is part of DaimlerChrysler. Chrysler Group, meanwhile, just became the first major automaker to announce it's going to make small cars for the U.S. market in China.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ pay attention to the last sentence.

Last edited by suprastars; 02-06-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 PM
14 Second Truck Club

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ory=amMade0707

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...g-a-dodge-ram/

Dodges transmission comes from Germany.

Look at post #12. My1st truck has an Equinox that is a GM/Suzuki joint venture. Where the engine is was built in China and the transmission was built in Japan. Are you to say its more American than a Tundra? Where the Tundra has 75% domestic parts, with the most expensive components (engine and transmission) being made in the U.S.
And 100% of the profits go overseas?

Yes, still more American. More Americans benefit from it. More Americans are involved and employed from start to finish, from execs down to service techs. It is designed by Americans.

The Tundras profits all go overseas, to an economic enemy. GM outsourcing just to compete to make some profit isnt nearly as bad as Toyota fooling morons into believing they are an American company just because they build a small portion of their vehicles here (which was only done to avoid additional tariffs). I love how they convince everyone they are so green with their new commercial showing a Prius "biodegrading" back to the earth, but fail to show where the nickel battery goes. It is every bit as bad as the Tundra commercials trying to convince people that they are an "American" company.

Go look at Tundrasolutions.com and figure out why it isnt an American vehicle. Trucks are made to carry things- in the bed. But it sucks when you cant load an ATV, Motorcycle, Golf Cart, or anything of substantial weight on the tailgate. Americans know better than to cut the corners there.

It truly is time to break out the ban stick again.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Banned

Yes, still more American. More Americans benefit from it. More Americans are involved and employed from start to finish, from execs down to service techs. It is designed by Americans.

The Tundras profits all go overseas, to an economic enemy. GM outsourcing just to compete to make some profit isnt nearly as bad as Toyota fooling morons into believing they are an American company just because they build a small portion of their vehicles here (which was only done to avoid additional tariffs). I love how they convince everyone they are so green with their new commercial showing a Prius "biodegrading" back to the earth, but fail to show where the nickel battery goes. It is every bit as bad as the Tundra commercials trying to convince people that they are an "American" company.

Go look at Tundrasolutions.com and figure out why it isnt an American vehicle. Trucks are made to carry things- in the bed. But it sucks when you cant load an ATV, Motorcycle, Golf Cart, or anything of substantial weight on the tailgate. Americans know better than to cut the corners there.

Did you miss the part when the GM spokesman stated:

"We're very proud for the economic role we play in this country," says GM spokesman Greg Martin. "However, we're a global car company that happens to be based in the United States."

or when:

"Chrysler Group, meanwhile, just became the first major automaker to announce it's going to make small cars for the U.S. market in China."
Old 02-06-2008, 09:06 PM
14 Second Truck Club

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...can-usat_N.htm

It's a global industry now, in which all manufacturers are touching their automaking toes on the shores of just about every industrialized nation. Even GM, long the icon of American industry, hedges its bets. "We're very proud for the economic role we play in this country," says GM spokesman Greg Martin. "However, we're a global car company that happens to be based in the United States."

^^^^^^^^ pay attention to the last sentence! Seems like he's downplaying what your so adamently trying to explain.

The contradictions of a borderless automotive economy are borne out by government figures that track where vehicles are made and their domestic parts content. The search for the American car leads to:

•Foreign cars made in the USA. Honda's Ohio-built Accord is 70% domestic parts. Toyota's Corolla is made in a California plant alongside General Motors models.

•American cars made abroad. Ford's hit Fusion sedan is made in Mexico; only half its parts are from the USA or Canada. GM pitches its small HHR sport utility and giant Suburban straight at the American market, but they, too, are built in Mexico. HHR has only 41% American and Canadian parts.

•Famous American names and foreign owners. More than three-quarters of the parts in Dodge's new Nitro SUV, which is assembled in Toledo, Ohio, are American or Canadian. But the profits go to Germany because Dodge is part of DaimlerChrysler. Chrysler Group, meanwhile, just became the first major automaker to announce it's going to make small cars for the U.S. market in China.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ pay attention to the last sentence.
You should pay attention- Chrysler is back in American hands. You are the king of the internet link. I can show links that prove Bigfoot is real, the Lochness monster ate a Tacoma, aliens walk among us, and that Toyota is an American company. None of which is true. GM is an American company that employs numerous more Americans than Toyota, approximately 6x or 600% more if you want to play the numbers game.

From www.youareaneconomictraderandcompletemoron.com
*Toyota, who builds craptastic Tundras that are only designed to support 10# on the tailgate, are built in America- but 100% of the profits go to a foreign country that refuses to play fair ball and allow American products equal footing in Japan. They also do everything in their power to keep workers from unionizing and refuses to perform recalls- a problem that even their own country has scolded them for.

Move to Japan.

^^^^Pay attention to that last sentence.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Banned

I suggest you read this list:

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou....a/content.html

While Toyota and Honda are building facilites for American workers, GM, Dodge and Ford are building inside China for American consumers .

Look on the list and you can see General Motors.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/us-may-o...s/25221-7.html

And you blame Toyota for offering tens of thousands of jobs and investing billions of dollars into the US economy.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:15 PM
14 Second Truck Club

While Toyota and Honda are building facilites for American workers, GM, Dodge and Ford are building inside China for American consumers .

And you blame Toyota for offering tens of thousands of jobs and investing billions of dollars into the US economy.
No, I blame Toyota and Japan (as well as our own government) for not playing fair ball and forcing GM to outsource to stay afloat. GM still employs more Americans and contributes to our GDP. Is it really that hard to understand, or are you still trying to convince yourself you did not put a fellow American out of work?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Banned

No, I blame Toyota and Japan (as well as our own government) for not playing fair ball and forcing GM to outsource to stay afloat. GM still employs more Americans and contributes to our GDP. Is it really that hard to understand, or are you still trying to convince yourself you did not put a fellow American out of work?
Toyota and GM has joint venture operation in their California plant called Nummi since 1984.

Toyota directly employed around 34,675 people in the United States, invested USD $15.5 billion, produced 1.2 million vehicles using US and foreign auto parts, sold 2.54 million vehicles, and donated USD $340 million to nonprofits. It has in total 10 plants, USD $2.9 billion per year payroll, purchased USD $28 billion in parts and supplies from 30 states. It created around 386,000 jobs in the United States as result of Toyota's spending and demand from suppliers. It celebrated its 50th year anniversary in the United States in 2007
Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

I know this SuperTurd is fake. I have seen Milford. Been there several times. I have seen how many Americans GM employs and pays very handsomely.

The loss of GM would have a huge impact on the US econ and the world econ. Much of the money GM makes goes back out into new products, safety testing, and wages/insurance. Toyota employees dont have it as good as GM ones.

At least GM doesn't make their workers labour over so many hours of OT only to not get paid like TOY-ota does.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can state all the number of employees toyota has in the US, how much they invest in the US, and how much they benefit the US economy and it all is insignificant compared to American companies ( GM, ford, dodge) And yes there are GM and Chrysler establishments in China, which is the fastest growing economy in the world and they would be stupid not to invest there. But guess where there profits go?? Is it where toyotas profits go?? No, its back to the United States. Mzoomora, don't bother telling him how much tundras suck because he apparently already bought a Ford F250... or was it an F350? oh I guess your answers change on a day to day basis
Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Toyota directly employed around 34,675 people in the United States, invested USD $15.5 billion, produced 1.2 million vehicles using US and foreign auto parts, sold 2.54 million vehicles, and donated USD $340 million to nonprofits. It has in total 10 plants, USD $2.9 billion per year payroll, purchased USD $28 billion in parts and supplies from 30 states. It created around 386,000 jobs in the United States as result of Toyota's spending and demand from suppliers. It celebrated its 50th year anniversary in the United States in 2007
GM directly employs over 284,000 people in the United States, and supports over 11 million jobs through suppliers, produced 2.9 million vehicles in the US in 2007, sold 3.8 Million vehicles in the US in 2007, donates thousands of vehicles and tens of millions of dollars to US emergency disasters and US charitable organizations, operates 50 plants in the US, and is now celebrating its 100th Anniversary.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
GM directly employs over 284,000 people in the United States, and supports over 11 million jobs through suppliers, produced 2.9 million vehicles in the US in 2007, sold 3.8 Million vehicles in the US in 2007, donates thousands of vehicles and tens of millions of dollars to US emergency disasters and US charitable organizations, operates 50 plants in the US, and is now celebrating its 100th Anniversary.

THANK YOU Octane for putting the TOYboyzz (especially Pissy Chrissy) in their place!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:20 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
Wait, I dont understand- that is waayyy more than Toyota. That cant be, Toyota is THE most American company in the world. The guy with the real American voice on the TV commercial told me so. I have seen trucks eaten by monsters, dragon machines, hit by asteroids, go on see-saws, stop on ledges on cliffs, etc. Toyota would never lie to me.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

The trolls can state all of the isolated tid bit factoids they want. It comes down to jobs and GM supplies more jobs to Americans than Toyota, Honda and Nissan combined. The Japanese government and their manufacturers have always had a protectionist stand on their market, we should do the same.

The Japanese know how to protect their manufacturers. Sure they have opened "Assembly" jobs here, but the majority of their Engineering, design and development jobs stays in their country, not ours!

Last edited by TT632; 02-07-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TT632
The Japanese know how to protect their manufacturers.
Yet when we either try to do this, or even suggest/hint at this we are labeled racist, commies, liberals, anti-free trade/anti-globalists, etc.
WHY is it perfect for their country, but verboten in OURS???
Is it ONLY Japanese Ministry Of Trade propaganda causing this, or is it brainwashing/influence peddling/special interest muscle on a much larger scale??

Originally Posted by TT632
Sure they have opened "Assembly" jobs here, but the majority of their Engineering, design and development jobs stays in their country, not ours!
Have pity on the stupid American sheeple who really believe (or convice themselves) that TOY (and the others) have done this out of the great kindness of their hearts, and beneficence to the American people.

BTW; GREAT POST TT632!!

Quick Reply: MoreToe Otta Vs GM Stuff