Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Rousch owners sue Ford

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rousch owners sue Ford

Doh

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Car buyers sued Ford on Monday complaining that a limited edition of a modified Ford Mustang was not so limited after all.

The class action lawsuit on behalf of a New York man and other buyers of the 2007 Roush Stage 3 BlackJack vehicles claimed they paid a premium price of nearly $59,000 (30,000 pounds) last year because Ford advertised that only 100 would be made.

The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, accused Ford and Roush Performance Products Inc of manufacturing at least 100 more of the vehicles in 2008.

Representatives of Ford were not immediately available to comment, a company spokeswoman said.

"The vehicles purchased by the plaintiff and the other class members were not as unique or rare as the defendants had stated them to be," the complaint said. "Their value from scarcity and as collectors' items were and are dramatically less than the buyers had been led to believe their value would be."

Ford manufactured a limited run of a modified version of the Ford Mustang, made especially for conversion by Roush into the Stage 3 BlackJack, the complaint said.

Drew Conner of Bardonia, N.Y., and at least 100 other people are members of the class seeking a jury trial and more than $12 million in damages.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080804/...ord_collectors
Old 08-05-2008, 06:11 AM
TECH Junkie

on the Roush website it still says only 100 were made..

How would you like to see this pull up behind you on the highway? Give shivers to the other cars on the road as you run up on them with this black beauty. ROUSHcharged with 430 horsepower, this vehicle stalks the roads with 18-inch ROUSH wheels and billet aluminum trim. This is an extremely limited run with only 100 Stage 3 BlackJack vehicles built exclusively for the discerning driver looking for a unique ride. Available in any color you like as long as it is "midnight black."
I think if i spent the money on something like this i would be upset too... thats a lot of money...
Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe anyone would pay 59k for a Mustang even if it is a Roush.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe they meant that they'd only make 100 per year (ie: 100 in 2007, another 100 in 2008 etc.)?

Either way that's a lot of money but I'd much rather see a simple resolution like throwing a few thousand dollars at each owner of the cars to make up for some of the slight depreciation/dilution that an extra 100 cars might cause, no need for frivolous lawsuits.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

I ran one here in NC awhile back, nice looking car, owner was cool about things but also sadly mis-informed. The salesperson told him the car would take out Z06s and run close to the Ford GT...needless to say he was confused when he got smacked by a lowly C6 Vette. If I remember correctly, he said he paid in the mid $60Ks for it.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Maybe they meant that they'd only make 100 per year (ie: 100 in 2007, another 100 in 2008 etc.)?

Either way that's a lot of money but I'd much rather see a simple resolution like throwing a few thousand dollars at each owner of the cars to make up for some of the slight depreciation/dilution that an extra 100 cars might cause, no need for frivolous lawsuits.

with what roush overcharges for those things they can afford to pay out a couple million. LOL
Old 08-05-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

I can't decide with the vehicle owners. A car isn't a firm $$ investment. It is a mode of transportation. It is being sold as a mode of transportation, too. Where was it implied there would be a return on it or that it would have high value?

Even then not all investments are guaranteed. This is the nature of it.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

thats what happen when ppl have to much money and time on their hands they have to cry and sue someone because their car is not to limited......shut the f*** up . poor poor babies
Old 08-05-2008, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Buying a modern car for an investment is probally a giant mistake, especailly when 99% of the modern sports cars are based upon the older versions of themselves that really bring the money in. It's like investing in gold plated coins as opposed to gold coins, they may be worth something later on, but will never see the appreciation the real things do. I've seen people recently buy Chalengers and GT500s for investements....not the way to go. Go buy a 70 Challenger 440 six pack or Hemi or a real 68-70 Shelby Gt350 or 500, sure, it's a little more expensive, but it'll be worth it in the long run.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

unless there where statements made directly by Roush that inferred a guarantee of future collectibility, appreciation, or limited TOTAL production at 100, i don't see the legitamcy of this lawsuit. and really, Roush has no controll over 2 of those 3 anyway. should have Roush informed buyers that high milage or minor damage to the item could have a negative impact on "Their value...as collectors' items..." i very much dislike lawsuits of this nature...can u tell.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I bet they will get some sort of compensation, soley because the ad says:

This is an extremely limited run with only 100 Stage 3 BlackJack vehicles built exclusively for the discerning driver looking for a unique ride.

Its just kinda misleading. The text there clearly says extremely limited run with only 100 built..
Old 08-05-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I can't decide with the vehicle owners. A car isn't a firm $$ investment. It is a mode of transportation. It is being sold as a mode of transportation, too. Where was it implied there would be a return on it or that it would have high value?

Even then not all investments are guaranteed. This is the nature of it.

i concur.

buying a vehicle as an investment isnt wise. if you want a paticuliar vehicle fine. drive it and enjoy it. theres better ways to invest your money.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
I bet they will get some sort of compensation, soley because the ad says:

This is an extremely limited run with only 100 Stage 3 BlackJack vehicles built exclusively for the discerning driver looking for a unique ride.

Its just kinda misleading. The text there clearly says extremely limited run with only 100 built..
i agree here too.

but is roush legally restricted to making 100 units or promised owners their vehicle would go up in value?

im betting a settlement will be reached and roush will change its wording regarding future production of this vehicle.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

I can't understand why anybody would waste that much money on a Mustang, and expect it to be rare. I don't care if its only one model and they made 1 car, with as many mustangs on the road today rarity just goes out the window. The Lamborghini Reventon is something you buy if you can afford rarity. But so what they made 100 of these models, i have seen V6 mustangs with that good and wing package on the road.
-Joel
Old 08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
I can't understand why anybody would waste that much money on a Mustang, and expect it to be rare. I don't care if its only one model and they made 1 car, with as many mustangs on the road today rarity just goes out the window. The Lamborghini Reventon is something you buy if you can afford rarity. But so what they made 100 of these models, i have seen V6 mustangs with that good and wing package on the road.
-Joel
Same reason people buy WS6's and SS's over regular TAs or Z28s. Looks, name, badging, etc. Why did anyone ever buy a GMMG or Berger car?

People have their reasons for what they do, and it seems like some of the people bought the Roush cars for a certain reason, and now they think they were mislead. I can see where there coming from, and I see why it was dumb of them too...
but if someone can sue McDonalds for not saying 'HOT' on the side of a cup of coffee and win...these people will get something out of this...
Old 08-06-2008, 12:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
I can't understand why anybody would waste that much money on a Mustang, and expect it to be rare. I don't care if its only one model and they made 1 car, with as many mustangs on the road today rarity just goes out the window.
True. I mean I could easily seeing paying nearly $60k for a GT500KR or 'Super Snake' (both will cost way more of course) maybe but not for this Roush wannabe thing.
I love much of what Jack Roush has done and I do cheer on his NASCAR teams when they're up against the Toyotas but a mere body kit and a blower do not a super car make LOL.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
True. I mean I could easily seeing paying nearly $60k for a GT500KR or 'Super Snake' (both will cost way more of course) maybe but not for this Roush wannabe thing.
I love much of what Jack Roush has done and I do cheer on his NASCAR teams when they're up against the Toyotas but a mere body kit and a blower do not a super car make LOL.
i know someone who has a stg 2 roush. its a body kit with an int. and cb and some other stupid things. it cost 39k. LOL
Old 08-07-2008, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

The article doesn't say anything about NOT building similar "limited runs" in future model years.

I don't think these petitioners have standing. As for 12M in damages, their multiplying the vehicles' prices collectively by two; which is ridiculous. Do they actually plan to keep these Mustangs if they did receive that amount?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Idiots. They wanted to be special and when they found out they weren't really special at all they wanted to sue. They should be mad at the dealerships, oh wait, they should be mad at themselves. They deserve nothing. People who barely have anything get mislead by companies and receive jack **** for compensation. If anyone spends too much money on a car because they think it's gonna be rare, they have enough money to get the **** over it.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Just what Ford needs LOL.

Quick Reply: Rousch owners sue Ford