Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Nissan GT-R dyno test

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Thomasio
If I took my Z06 to the track, ran it on R compound tires as I typically do and ruined my trans/rear end, do you think GM would warranty my transmission?
Most likely not, though they actually still might if you took the dishonest route, put the stock tires back on and wiped the rubber from the wheel wells/numbers off of the car.

Unlike the GTR, it's far more difficult for a service department to use the Z06's onboard diagnotics (there is that hidden 'black box' but that's not used as a transmission warranty watchdog) to bite the driver in the *** and deny warranty...smart business move on their part though, at least Nissan benefits from it.
Either way, I'm not saying that they would, should or will cover it, I'm merely responding to YOUR claim of it being easily remedied...obviously you're now in total agreement that it is NOT necessarily so easily remedied...it might cost the owner $18k plus labor.

Originally Posted by Thomasio
Porsche will not warranty a trans if you dump the clutch at the track. I believe BMW has launch control and also voids the warranty if used and problems occur with the trans.
Once again, be it right or wrong, yes warranty might be voided...same goes for the GTR as we all now agree on.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I've never heard of a Porsche tranny's warranty being voided with no modifications to the car, only a "launch method..." Interesting.

I had leased a 2006 BMW 3-series in 2006, and I became a "casual" BMW enthusiast... I never heard of that one either... I also thought they covered any powertrain malfunction/damage during the warranty period as long as there were no modifications made to the car that they could prove.

Maybe I'm a bit behind the Euro-cars currently, but this is all news to me.
Come to think of it, Im not sure either when it comes to Porsche. I recall a member on the Corvetteforum having a 911 turbo and ruining the trans, but he did have modifications done to the car. I might have to retract my statement.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Most likely not, though they actually still might if you took the dishonest route, put the stock tires back on and wiped the rubber from the wheel wells/numbers off of the car.

Unlike the GTR, it's far more difficult for a service department to use the Z06's onboard diagnotics (there is that hidden 'black box' but that's not used as a transmission warranty watchdog) to bite the driver in the *** and deny warranty...smart business move on their part though, at least Nissan benefits from it.
Either way, I'm not saying that they would, should or will cover it, I'm merely responding to YOUR claim of it being easily remedied...obviously you're now in total agreement that it is NOT necessarily so easily remedied...it might cost the owner $18k plus labor.

Once again, be it right or wrong, yes warranty might be voided...same goes for the GTR as we all now agree on.
This is why the Z will be my daily. Less stress for me lol.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Banned

As far as an acceleration contest between the two vehicles from a standing street start & completely BONE stock it should be well known that a AWD vehicle is going to pull any RWD for the first 60 feet & in this case probably the first 1000 feet . But , by that time the big Z should be coming on strong & closing in on the GT-R . In a top speed contest I'm sure the Vette would walk away on the big end .
Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
As far as an acceleration contest between the two vehicles from a standing street start & completely BONE stock it should be well known that a AWD vehicle is going to pull any RWD for the first 60 feet & in this case probably the first 1000 feet . But , by that time the big Z should be coming on strong & closing in on the GT-R . In a top speed contest I'm sure the Vette would walk away on the big end .
The vettes gearing is not ideal for top speeds. Remember, the GTR is 98% rwd until it detects slippage. TopGear and R&T achieved 193mph for the GTR and 196(I believe) for the Z

No matter what the hp is 1000awhp=1000rwhp.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

You sure about this, like maybe it only "feels" faster to 100?

Currently accepted figures dictate that the C6 Z06 pulls harder in a straight line and traps higher...
Very true.
Still waiting for the 'cooler weather' test results but as of right now the Nissan is an 11.5/11.6 second car...the quickest that a bone stock Z06 has ET'd is a 10.9@128+mph (10.8@129+ on drag radials) with other stock ones having clocked 11.1s and 11.2s in less than ideal air.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so where are the pictures, you say you have them.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BLOODTA
OK, so where are the pictures, you say you have them.
Ill post tomorrow. Got in not to long ago.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither of these are your's, correct?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

The imports are taking over! Dont get me wrong, id take a Z06 instead but the GTR is a great attempt. Its a force to be reckoned with, so to speak. I wonder if any other import brand is willing to step up & maybe surpass the GTR? Imports still cant out due american trucks or the vette. Seems they are up to the task though!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BLOODTA
Neither of these are your's, correct?
Correct.

But I did post two videos of the GTR in action though.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wES6
The imports are taking over! Dont get me wrong, id take a Z06 instead but the GTR is a great attempt. Its a force to be reckoned with, so to speak. I wonder if any other import brand is willing to step up & maybe surpass the GTR? Imports still cant out due american trucks or the vette. Seems they are up to the task though!
There won't be an answer for the ZR1 or the ACR Viper from the imports for awhile. Maybe the Vspec, but this is circumstantial
Old 08-23-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you know what's the most beautiful part of these gtr's? the fact that they are only good for 15 super launches then its bye bye transmission. search over at nicoclub. read it originally at a supra site and found it to good to be true. I laugh at the gtr durability and how the hype and lies are unravelling.

bringing exotic maintenance prices and quasi exotic performance to mass produced cars! way to go nismo!
Old 08-23-2008, 02:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OKcruising
you know what's the most beautiful part of these gtr's? the fact that they are only good for 15 super launches then its bye bye transmission. search over at nicoclub. read it originally at a supra site and found it to good to be true. I laugh at the gtr durability and how the hype and lies are unravelling.
Well even without 'super launch' mode the car will still be pretty quick just footbraking it, it just might not hit those mid-high 11s every time.
For those that still prefer domestic nameplates (and great values) it is comforting to know that one can buy a brand new Corvette LS3 for under $43k right now, a great handling/stopping/looking car that has covered the 1/4 mile in 11.7 seconds at almost 120mph in bone stock trim. Over 30mpg on the highway to boot.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:59 AM
On The Tree

I see pissy chrissy has made it back, and he's taking a different approach this time.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wES6
Ummm... The GTR already "outdoes" the C6 Z06 and all other Amercian sports cars except the Viper ACR and the C6 ZR-1... Stay tuned for the GTR V-Spec and new "NSX" from Acura.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by beerwhiskeyjoe
I see pissy chrissy has made it back, and he's taking a different approach this time.

OMG, you have got to be kidding me.

Please, say it ain't so...
Old 08-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Banned

Ummm... The GTR already "outdoes" the C6 Z06 and all other Amercian sports cars except the Viper ACR and the C6 ZR-1... Stay tuned for the GTR V-Spec and new "NSX" from Acura.
I think we should have a price bracket. The nsx is 200k.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Well even without 'super launch' mode the car will still be pretty quick just footbraking it, it just might not hit those mid-high 11s every time.
For those that still prefer domestic nameplates (and great values) it is comforting to know that one can buy a brand new Corvette LS3 for under $43k right now, a great handling/stopping/looking car that has covered the 1/4 mile in 11.7 seconds at almost 120mph in bone stock trim. Over 30mpg on the highway to boot.
The new base Corvette is the fastest it's ever been... No Z06, but damn what a value.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Very true.
Still waiting for the 'cooler weather' test results but as of right now the Nissan is an 11.5/11.6 second car...the quickest that a bone stock Z06 has ET'd is a 10.9@128+mph (10.8@129+ on drag radials) with other stock ones having clocked 11.1s and 11.2s in less than ideal air.
It's tough to believe these claims. I've personally known people that have done every little secret mod they could or free mod or what have you to get the edge to break through a certain time and claim it as stock or driver skill. Multiple people I've known that do that now, how can anyone be sure these cars do these time's stock. 10.9@129mph dead stock...129mph...whats the average mph for these cars?

Quick Reply: Nissan GT-R dyno test