Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)

Hey Guys,

I am an active poster over on the other forum that us V guys like to frequent but thought that my idea my go down better over here.

I have been slightly obsessed lately with trying to pick out the best aftermarket hood for my baby (2004 V) and have given some thought to actually having Extreme Composites make a new custom hood to fit the last gen CTS-V (and CTS for that matter). Here is my idea, and please no flaming. If you don't like the idea, or even hate it, at least try to help me out a bit. I am doing this 90% for looks and maybe 10% for functionality.

I have always loved the last gen Trans Am WS6-style RamAirII hood. You know the one with the dual scoops. Now, stay with me. I thought, that if done correctly, this hood could look fantastic on the V. The hood builder, in this case EC, would have to make the dual scoop opening much more angular and the edges of the cowl also more sharp-edged to match the hard edges of the rest of the car. I know this is hard to visualize, but you won't have to because I have posted a picture below that shows exactly how I would want the hood to look, and it's even on a CTS. The picture is a screenshot from the XBox 360 game, Need For Speed: Most Wanted. This may sound crazy, but with the realistic graphics that these games have, I feel like this screenshot is a pretty accurate portrayal of how one of our cars would look with this custom hood.

Basically, if any of you guys are interested, I might have a good way to get this hood made. I actually only need four (4) other guys that would be willing to put down some cash (less than $1000/person) to get this hood made. I understand that this probably won't appeal to a lot of people and will appeal to even less people when they realize that this will most likely be too difficult to make into an actual, functional Ram Air type hood.

Please let me know what you all think. I hope the comments are positive and this badboy gets some serious interest.

See picture (screenshot)...Attachment 151247
Attached Thumbnails Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)-v_hood_chop_2.jpg   Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)-v_hood_chop_1.jpg  

Last edited by tweeter81; 01-19-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Included updated Photoshop of the Hood idea.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Just so guys don't think I'm too much of a newbie, here is my Mod list from my sig on the other forum. I know what I am doing when it comes to choosing the best mods for these cars, IMO.

2004 CTS-V
Mods: Lingenfelter CAI, OEM style spoiler, CCW SP600 wheels (19"x9" and 19"x10"), Toyo Proxes T1R (F: 245/40YR19 - R: 285/35YR19), Magnaflow Cat-back, UUC Shifter w/ Lindsay bushings, FG2 shocks, GC Coilover Kit (600f/650r), Hotchkis Swaybars, Custom FRCs, Kooks 1 3/4" Cermakromed LT Headers w/ HiFlo cats, ARP Header Studs, Granatelli 0 Ohm 1200* Wires w/ Koolsox, NGK TR55ix spark plugs, CTS Armrest, SS Brake Lines, D.R.E. Dyno Tune = 351 hp/ 365 ft-lbs (corrected)

Upcoming: Upgraded Traction Kit from 561 Motorwerks to be installed.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

I would think the scoop might need to be wider to match the width of the center of the hood a little more. Maybe something a little closer to the scoop on an LT1 WS6 Firebird. To make it functional, perhaps a box similar to the SLP cars with the top open to the breather element might work.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^x2 I like it but it seems a lil small scaled to the rest of the hood. If I seen it like that I would probably say stick on from Pep boys, Widen it a lil more and I think it would look great and def give it a race/sport look!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Fellas,

Thanks for the replies. I definitely agree with you about the cowl needing to be wider. I think that the cowl should get wider as it goes toward the back of the hood so it fits better with the lines of the car/hood.

Also, per some discussion on the other forum, I would also want the snout (dual openings) moved closer toward the front of the hood so that a possible ram air solution could be made and it would probably look better that way as well.

Keep those replies coming!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

maybe something like the new g8 hood would work with some modifications suttle yet agressive

Old 10-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Launching!

original poster:

it will be cheaper for you to have scoops you like custom molded to your existing hood. I would suggest you find scoops you like (doesnt really matter what vehicle they come from) and tear em off the car or get the metal required, then start cutting and filling..
Old 10-24-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think it would be easier to tell if it would look good if the screen shot was of a stock/stockish looking V
Old 10-25-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cts-Voodoo
original poster:

it will be cheaper for you to have scoops you like custom molded to your existing hood. I would suggest you find scoops you like (doesnt really matter what vehicle they come from) and tear em off the car or get the metal required, then start cutting and filling..
I wish I could go this route but I don't have the tools or the ability, for that matter ,to do any fabricating of my own. Also, the closest thing to what I want would be the RamAir II replica hoods that can be found on the internet, but even those scoops are too rounded, so I would have to really start from scratch. I live in a small town that doesn't have a lot of custom shops (if any at all) so that is why I thought about EC.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

i liek where you started with this i jsut think.....

they need to be lower, wider, come closer to the front of the car and have more of an angle slash on the intakes....
Old 10-25-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lemons12
i think it would be easier to tell if it would look good if the screen shot was of a stock/stockish looking V
I got some different pictures of this hood today from the video game.

I have pix of a silver CTS-V and a black CTS-V. Unfortunately the video game doesn't let you modify the design, so I was not able to move the scoops closer toward the front of the hood or widen out the cowl section. You guys will just have to use your imagination on those last two things.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)-black_hood_01.jpeg   Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)-black_hood_02.jpeg   Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)-black_hood_03.jpeg   Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)-black_hood_04.jpeg   Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)-silver_hood_01.jpeg  

Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)-silver_hood_02.jpeg   Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)-silver_hood_03.jpeg  
Old 10-25-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with just a little bit of adjusting... it would look sick i think..
Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

I might possibly have two other guys on the other forum that would be pretty interested. That would leave only two more people that need to like this enough to throw down some money on it (after, of course, a lot of discussion on how we would all like this thing fine tuned).

Here is what I posted on the other forum:

I would put down $1250.00

which would leave $3750.00 / 4 = $937.50 per person

Which is approximately the same cost as the EC hood with vents that is already on the market. With this hood you get the following:

1) Awesome, aggressive looks - only 5 people in the world would have your hood.
2) At least the option for real Ram Air (with some fabbing underneath the hood).
3) A way to possibly evacuate some of the underhood heat.
4) More room for Maggie or Procharger or some other brand of blower that hasn't been used yet. I will have a blower some day (when my warranty gets closer to running out), but in the meantime I want a very distinguishable looking car.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Here are a couple more ideas of how a dual scoop hood looks on a car in real life. Keep in mind I am still partial to my original idea, but some of these design cues could be incorporated into the final custom hood design.

The two pix are of the new Pontiac G6 concept car (nevermind the car itself, we are attempting to focus on the hood). This hood is probably the closest thing we have in real life pictures to my idea. I would modify this hood the following ways to make it look more like the game screenshots:

1) Add about 1"-1.5" more to the cowl height all the way back to the windshield. The CTS hood does not slope down as much from back to front so it would basically be a taller cowl (2.5"-3" total height) from the nose to the windshield. The hood maker would mold the back into the lower sides and it would look something like this at the back of the hood
space_____________
____/ spacespacespa\____ this is hard to show, there would be a small valley in the middle

2) Narrow up the front snout openings to slightly narrower than we see on the G6 concept. Those openings look to be 10"-12" wide at the front - I would like each of them to be closer to 8" wide at the front.

3) I would also want the dual cowl sections to widen out as they got closer toward the windshield so each cowl would end up being maybe 13"-15" wide at the very back of the hood. The second pic of the grey g6 shows this better.

4) I like the amount of separation between the two cowls (2.5"-3") on this G6. I would definitely want to maintain the two distinct cowls all the way to the windshield, no blending two into one large cowl.

5) Last, I also like the angle that the snout openings are sliced (or cut) at.

Let me hear some feedback from the guys who might be interested.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)-g6_gxp_hood1.jpg   Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)-g6_gxp_hood2.jpg  

Last edited by tweeter81; 11-03-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned

your gettin close...
Old 11-04-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

Getting close to you thinking you might want this hood?

If so, let me know how you would change it and if you would be willing to put down some cash for this idea.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Banned

<----- all this cash is getting in my way.

can i give you a henway instead?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GT67METHV
<----- all this cash is getting in my way.

can i give you a henway instead?
I have no idea what that means.

Come on folks, there must be two more guys out there who think this might be a good idea.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know this is a mustang, and we're all very anti mustang (atleast i am and i have owned a few) but i've always liked the angles on this hood of the scoops

Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Nice find. I, too, am a Mustang hater, but I really like that hood design. Of course, the scoop openings should be closer to the front, but that is pretty sweet.

Quick Reply: Custom Hood Idea (RamAirII) (more aggressive looks)