Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

ground control coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ground control coilovers

Lowered my front coilovers roughly 1" more and it developed a pretty bad squeak up front. Can i order a different spring that will allow me to go lower without having these issues? Maybe some spring ISO's
Old 01-20-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you lower it much beyond stock, you will need new short sway bar end links. You could go aftermarket adjustable, or go with C5Z06 endlinks. To use the C5 ones, you will have to slightly drill out (to 3/16th I think) the control arm connection point.

-Chris
Old 01-20-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

ok using C5 end links wont be hard at all. Ive got a set just laying around. What about going with a different coil for the lowered stance? Is that needed? I know i need to the in rear because im cranked down as low as it will go and id like another .5" lower
Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

sorry to butt in the thread but does lowering the V effect the ride quality??
Old 01-21-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been lowered on eibachs for almost the whole life of the car with no problems (except a drivers side shock needing replacing at 70k miles) and no z06 endlinks...and im on 19's.....but i doubt that that is as low as your trying to go with the ground controls.
Its probably your shock not liking the situation and thus making the noise
Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

its a metal and metal grind, creating a terrible squeek. Deff not the shock
Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well thats definitely NOT good. Id correct that right away if I were you. Its the rim hitting the fender (outter wall of rim) or more likely the inner wall of the rim hitting some suspension components.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by y2kfrc
+1 Agreed.... I have GC and when My Spring Came loose in the Seat it squeaked Really BAD! What I think happened was While the V was at the Stealer they had the wheels turned, and lowered the vehicle quickly and the spring just didnt seat correctly. Its not that big a deal, just a really really annoying grinding/squeak sound. Jack it back up again and just check all the springs seats to see whats up, and lower her down nice and slow...
Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know its not what you want to hear but you could always get some Motons, or some other coilovers....I doubt you want to spend that kind of money on suspension though........Just cut them alittle......YOU NEVER WANT TO CUT SPRINGS, RIGHT?.....BUT, I was chating with some of my tech buddies about this....I was going to cut my factory springs for fun to see how low my SRT could get and he told me that if you cut a Eibach or stiff any Springs that it really deosn't effect spring rate as much, especially if your dragn........He has 2 Drag Camaro's with Cut'd Eibachs that drive actually really well....
Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a set of stock CTSV springs, Ill give cut them and give them to you and you can test them out....
Old 01-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by y2kfrc
How do you know it's something metal to metal? My Ground Controls were quiet until the day we had a light rain. Seems like when the suspension travel nears the bump stop when moist, you get a squeak.

The first couple months, I'd load it up with grease to reduce the noise. The squeak gradually goes away. I thought it was completely gone until a few months ago I had the radio off and heard it ever so faintly. It may never totally disappear, but I only notice it when everything is dead quiet.

BTW, that's only on the driver's side, front. Maybe it happens on the passenger side if someone was sitting on that side. Never have noticed...
Old 01-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Hit the control arm bushings with some silicone spray and see if it stops. I almost as low on Eibachs and think the squeaks are from there. Use silcone and not a petroleum base lube.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

The coil spring was just sitting on the mount wrong, i got the noise all worked out when i double checked everything again
Old 01-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
I have a set of stock CTSV springs, Ill give cut them and give them to you and you can test them out....
I wouldnt worry about it. As long as theyre all cut evenly, youll do fine. Ive cut, heated and really messed springs up in any way you can think of and as long as the modifications are mild it wont affect ride too much.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cts-Voodoo
I wouldnt worry about it. As long as theyre all cut evenly, youll do fine. Ive cut, heated and really messed springs up in any way you can think of and as long as the modifications are mild it wont affect ride too much.
Agreed i use to race my cobra all the time on cut springs and ppl would lecture me, worked just fine for me
Old 01-24-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

So lets se how low we can get a V. I'm going to my ranch tomorrow and Ill grab the springs from my shop and give them to someone if they want them for cuting.....
Old 01-24-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

If springs were cut, would the self leveling stuff get messed up? I know for coilovers or traditional lowering springs, some shims are needed.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
So lets se how low we can get a V. I'm going to my ranch tomorrow and Ill grab the springs from my shop and give them to someone if they want them for cuting.....
If you wanna donate them to the cause ill cut em up and see how dumped i can get my car!
Old 01-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Launching!

The boys at air ride make 2500 and 2600lb springs with shocks running through them. Call them shockwaves, if youve going for maximum lows that would be the solution AND youll be able to make it over speed bumps!

Has anyone seen a V laying rocker? It would be possible...

Not to mention the possible benefit with launches as you can raise and lower air spring pressure to suit needs...
Old 01-25-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cts-Voodoo
The boys at air ride make 2500 and 2600lb springs with shocks running through them. Call them shockwaves, if youve going for maximum lows that would be the solution AND youll be able to make it over speed bumps!

Has anyone seen a V laying rocker? It would be possible...

Not to mention the possible benefit with launches as you can raise and lower air spring pressure to suit needs...
Thats actually what i was just thinking. It would give me the ability to launch the car the easiest

Quick Reply: ground control coilovers