Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Center arm rest broke?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009 | 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Default Center arm rest broke?

I always thought the center arm rest was doomed when I saw how it was cantilervered into space. Today I leaned on it to get my coat out from under my butt and the the center arm rest made a bad crack sound. Now it rattles like a piece of crap and the bottom of it is cracked. Anyone have this and is there some fix? The top side looks beautiful but now it taps and rattles when I go over bumps.
Old 02-28-2009 | 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're going to have to buy a new one. Many people convert to the regular CTS console. It sits higher and has additional storage. I believe it's around $150.
Old 03-01-2009 | 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

ya i leaned on mine too hard and it broke something
Old 03-01-2009 | 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

its an easy fix, mine was broke when i got it, remove it using the uninstall info on the faq site

it prolly just broke off the front two mounting points inside.. the leather top just pops off..

once you get in there, unscrew it from the mounts and put a generous bead of GOOP adhesive under the bracket. then screw it back down and let it cure with something heavy on it.

then snap the top back on it and reinstall... voila!

the goop holds to both materials very well and is not brittle.. its ''amazing'' hehe.
Old 03-01-2009 | 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
its an easy fix, mine was broke when i got it, remove it using the uninstall info on the faq site

it prolly just broke off the front two mounting points inside.. the leather top just pops off..

once you get in there, unscrew it from the mounts and put a generous bead of GOOP adhesive under the bracket. then screw it back down and let it cure with something heavy on it.

then snap the top back on it and reinstall... voila!

the goop holds to both materials very well and is not brittle.. its ''amazing'' hehe.
The OP said it was actually cracked on the bottom. Or at least that's what I got out of it.
Old 03-01-2009 | 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Yeah - weird. On the bottom a C shaped area about 2" is broken but it is only very thin. It is not hollow inside it has some inner liner. Guess it is coming apart for an inspection. Thanks for the tip on the std CTS version.
Old 03-01-2009 | 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

With the taller cts version you can hit your elbow when shifting from what I've heard. Anyone have 1st hand experience with this?

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2009 | 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

just go take it apart all ready, use antizeize on the rear bolts when they are going back in, a real PITA comming out!

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...est/index.html

they all break in the same manner, you will see just get that goop and fix 'er up.
Old 03-02-2009 | 10:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jerrad
With the taller cts version you can hit your elbow when shifting from what I've heard. Anyone have 1st hand experience with this?
If you're a midget with arms 18" long. Otherwise, no. The CTS armrest is 100000000 X better than the V version. You get storage, you get a much more comfortable armrest because you don't have to lean down when using it. The second you install one, you'll know. And you'll wonder how you lived without it. It's all-day long comfortable...
Old 03-02-2009 | 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

I can't help I was born a midget with 18" long arms, legs, 3rd leg, etc.

I might have to buy one after all. Thats why I didn't pull the trigger a year ago.
Old 03-02-2009 | 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

I need to get me one also. Aren't they around $150 or so?

Quick Reply: Center arm rest broke?