Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Maggy guys, anyone upgraded the heatexhanger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maggy guys, anyone upgraded the heatexhanger?

The unit that comes with the blower seems a lil dinky along with being tube/fin over the more efficient bar/plate setup. Has anyone ever upgraded the inter cooler on the maggie? Seems like there might be a few more ponies in a setup that can hold a lil more fluid and has the ability to pull the heat out of the air a lil better. Thoughts? opinions?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

My opinion is you need to quit bragging about the maggie.

All the cobra/lighting guys can get upgraded heat exchangers so you might venture to some of their suppliers and see how big you want.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't recall anyone ever doing it...at least they didn't post about it if they did.

Thats for bringing this up though, you just reminded me that I need to do the radiator cap mod to the intercooler system...
Old 04-16-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatec...eat-exchangers
You might give them a call and see if they have any in the dimension that you need.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

During my install, I decided to reverse the relative positions of the reservoir and the HEX in the flow sequence. I had to fab up my own mounting brackets, but IMHO it's ever-so slightly better.

As far as a more efficient inner cooler system, it seems to me there's several ways to do it. You could increase the pump size, you could increase the reservoir size (capacity), you could increase the HEX size itself, or some combination of any of them. Ststkr (<-- spelling) was thinking of including an ice bath with the coolant running through a coil immersed in the ice bath. 'Course, you have to be replenishing the ice pretty frequently for street use. Not real practical.

Bottom line is you might very significantly increase the density of the incoming A/F charge thus increasing HP. I'd say you're barking up the right tree.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Or you could use meth and blow the HE out of the water.
In my buick I went from running 16 pounds on pump gas with a A/A intercooler to 25+ pounds with meth. Plus the timing is 3 degrees higher.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

My bad talking about the maggie so much. I'll try to keep a lid on it.

I was just curious if anyone has done any modifications to the maggie kit beyond a new pulley or a belt.

The kit sounds great, it just seems like there might be areas for improvement. Where maybe magnuson cut a corner to save costs while inhibiting performance.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Part of the design of the HX was that it fits right in front of the radiator without any modifications. A larger HX will require relocating the power steering cooler at least, if not other things.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Collections Ban

hi,we have had great results by putting the ford lighting he in the gtos,the caddy he is alot biger than what we have!lol.i havnt done a ctsv ,but i would say it will help,you dont want to upgrade the pump on your stock system as it will push the water threw the he to fast and will not let the he do its job
Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

my friend put a 03/04 cobra HE on his, it fit nicely, he just had to make up a couple brackets. you can find takeoff 03/04 HE's from where the owners have upgraded to gords, or LFP units (IMO LFP DP is the best) and you can find them for about $50 or so shipped on svtperformance.com. it will require some "custom fitting" but its nothing hard. im not sure that a LFP or gords unit would fit in the, they are awefully thick.

and +1 about not getting the bigger intercooler pump, it will push it too fast so it wont cool, and it will also cause it to foam.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Redneckbmxer24
my friend put a 03/04 cobra HE on his, it fit nicely, he just had to make up a couple brackets. you can find takeoff 03/04 HE's from where the owners have upgraded to gords, or LFP units (IMO LFP DP is the best) and you can find them for about $50 or so shipped on svtperformance.com. it will require some "custom fitting" but its nothing hard. im not sure that a LFP or gords unit would fit in the, they are awefully thick.

and +1 about not getting the bigger intercooler pump, it will push it too fast so it wont cool, and it will also cause it to foam.
I assume you would retain the tank from the maggie unit and simply install the Cobra HX?

I've seen a Cobra HX and while it is thick it seems much smaller than the magnusson unit. Are we sure it would be an improvement over our HX'ers?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Max-Q
Are we sure it would be an improvement over our HX'ers?
We won't know until you try it.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DoctorNick
I was just curious if anyone has done any modifications to the maggie kit beyond a new pulley or a belt.
If you have wads of cash, there are many upgrades, here are a few:

1) 90mm TB and snout, figure about $450
2) 2.6" pulley, you must grind the snout, expect slippage at 5,000 rpms, you can go with a GY Gatorback Belt, and some Track Bite,,, I think someone on the 'other forum' configured an independent belt pulley for their Maggie with the 2.6" swap and claimed no issues
3) Rear pulley swap, not sure about HP gains, but definitely TQ gains can be had, will probably void warranty, mine was done by Magnuson, they did as a favor for my tuner, I do not remember specifics, they will not do this for anyone any more per other members posts
4) As someone mentioned, Heat Exchanger upgarade can be done, but this is akin to brain surgery, try some Water Wetter, get a Meth Kit, I believe East Coast Superchargers makes a high-quality kit, much nicer than Snow Performance, but figure at least $1K, not sure if you plan to go to the dragstrip, but heat soak will not kill your joy if just having spirited runs on the highway, if you go to the strip you will have issues but not sure how much if car sits 45 minutes between runs, if you go to the strip, and trust me on this, heat soak is not your most problematic issue
5) Look at a 122 unit, or TVS, if you have not purchased the 112 yet, it you have LS6 you can go 12 psi with a good tune and meth kit, the 112 is very limited in what you can do, as 6-7psi is the norm
6) Go with a Meizere WP, they are the t!ts, may run you about $600, if you do this, go with the Black one, as those anodized colors are for Hondas

Jamie is damn knowledgeable, has done more Maggie installs on V than anyone in South Florida, he also has a flair for the extreme (dynoed a stock LS6 with a TT kit at close to 800RWHP), and is real good at one-offs.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Max-Q
I assume you would retain the tank from the maggie unit and simply install the Cobra HX?

I've seen a Cobra HX and while it is thick it seems much smaller than the magnusson unit. Are we sure it would be an improvement over our HX'ers?
there would be no reason to change the tank unless you wanted even higher capacity, or the ability to add ice.

ive only ever seen one maggie HE from a CTS-V and that was the one of my friends that we replaced with the cobra unit. the cobra one really isnt all that thick unless its the aftermarket one, and they are very thick. the cobra one is much longer than the one that comes with the maggie.

any time you add capacity and surface area to the HE you lower the IAT temps. dont expect a huge HP gain, but it will indeed lower the charge temps.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by onebadcad
4) As someone mentioned, Heat Exchanger upgarade can be done, but this is akin to brain surgery, try some Water Wetter, get a Meth Kit, I believe East Coast Superchargers makes a high-quality kit, much nicer than Snow Performance, but figure at least $1K, not sure if you plan to go to the dragstrip, but heat soak will not kill your joy if just having spirited runs on the highway, if you go to the strip you will have issues but not sure how much if car sits 45 minutes between runs, if you go to the strip, and trust me on this, heat soak is not your most problematic issue
on a positive displacement blower meth really isnt going to do crap, especially on one running very very low boost. if you mount it below the blower and intercooler inside the intake you will see a little but if you inject it before the blower its not going to do anything at all. meth is much better used in conjuction with centrifugal blowers or turbo's and mounted after the compressors.

if you want a good boost cooler through a positive displacement blower run a very small shot of spray.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

You obviously have been into blowers much longer than I so I'm not trying to get into a debate or anything because I would loose very quickly lol But from people I have talked to and and other V owners that have a maggie pushing 7 or 8 pounds say the meth helps.

How small of a shot would one need to spray to just cool the IAT? Meth is a lot cheaper to replenish so if it did any good at all it would be worth it. Its just now I have my wires crossed on positive displacement blowers and meth. Thanks a lot! lol
Old 05-11-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

The only thing I've heard about spraying meth through the blower is that it can slowly eat the guts of the blower. Not sure how long it takes or the actual damage but that's the word on the street.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jerrad
The only thing I've heard about spraying meth through the blower is that it can slowly eat the guts of the blower. Not sure how long it takes or the actual damage but that's the word on the street.
Heard that too. If car has a good tune and good fuel, meth is not needed as a safety aide. Some people just like the security of such.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

@ Jarrad

I found my pulley problem! The damn bearing spun in the pulley and basically wallered it out. I have a new pulley on its way as well as a 2.7" blower pulley as opposed to the 2.8". It should get me past the 10psi mark considering I'm making 9 right now.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by onebadcad
Heard that too. If car has a good tune and good fuel, meth is not needed as a safety aide. Some people just like the security of such.
The guy that makes my kit put a kit on an Impala ss and has the 1/4 record. They use a roots blower and it worked for him.

Quick Reply: Maggy guys, anyone upgraded the heatexhanger?