Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Experience with Predator Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Experience with Predator Tuner?

Has anyone had a positive experience with a Predator Tuner? I had one for my 'stang, and while I know I could have gotten more power outta my car had I had it dyno tuned, I still liked it. Can I get a decent tune via predator? My car came with a StealthV tune but I know absolutely nothing about it.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't mod it at all stick with the StealthV tune. It will be much better then anything you can get the predator to do. Rick really knew what he was doing with the Vs and basically had every bolt on mod combo to work with on his mail order tunes.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SkullV
If you don't mod it at all stick with the StealthV tune. It will be much better then anything you can get the predator to do. Rick really knew what he was doing with the Vs and basically had every bolt on mod combo to work with on his mail order tunes.
How can you say that?

I'll be the first to admit that all applications do not want the same tune, which is why we offer end user adjustable parameters in our Predators that allow you to dial in the tune for YOUR car.

Our canned tunes for the Vs is very nice, and then you have the ability to alter WOT A/F ratios, WOT timing, you can adjust fuel trims, raise rev limiters, adjust tire size to correct the speedo, and more.

If you start with the other tune and add a CAI, that tune is no longer optimized, and you'd have to send the device back, have a new tune sent out, etc....

The Predator also gives you other handy features like the ability to datalog without a laptop, and to read or clear trouble codes, as well as supporting custom tuning.

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-29-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't mean to say that the predator was a bad tune, just that he's looking for a canned tune and already has one that has the reputation of being one of the best, then StealthV now W4M.

Last edited by SkullV; 05-29-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
How can you say that?

I'll be the first to admit that all applications do not want the same tune, which is why we offer end user adjustable parameters in our Predators that allow you to dial in the tune for YOUR car.

Our canned tunes for the Vs is very nice, and then you have the ability to alter WOT A/F ratios, WOT timing, you can adjust fuel trims, raise rev limiters, adjust tire size to correct the speedo, and more.

If you start with the other tune and add a CAI, that tune is no longer optimized, and you'd have to send the device back, have a new tune sent out, etc....

The Predator also gives you other handy features like the ability to datalog without a laptop, and to read or clear trouble codes, as well as supporting custom tuning.

Thanks
Mike
Mike, I have a Maggied V with a magnuson tune. I can use the predator to tweek that tune, right?
Thanks

Tony
Old 05-29-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mike, what's this new Trinity you guys have coming out? Is it just a fancy Predator or does it provide more tuneability? And is there one for our cars?

And does the Predator allow for specific tuning of A/F as well as readings? Can I adjust .01 or is it a gradually measure like +5% +10% ....?

Thanks

Tony
Old 05-29-2009, 04:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Twitch1
Mike, I have a Maggied V with a magnuson tune. I can use the predator to tweek that tune, right?
Thanks

Tony
Generally, yes, the Predator will read most unlocked tunes and allow you to modify them to your liking.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by BacDoc
Mike, what's this new Trinity you guys have coming out? Is it just a fancy Predator or does it provide more tuneability? And is there one for our cars?

And does the Predator allow for specific tuning of A/F as well as readings? Can I adjust .01 or is it a gradually measure like +5% +10% ....?

Thanks

Tony
The Trinity is a cool unit, with full color touch screen, on screen monitoring/logging, user configurable gauge layouts, virtual performance monitor (0-60, 0-100, 1/8th and 1/4 mile), plus a tuner.

The tuning capabilities are similar to those of the Predator.
WOT Fuel changes can be made in 1% increments.

GM gas applications are not included yet, but will be soon, and will make for a great addition to a nice V.

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-29-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not a betting man, actually I am, but saying such helps this post, but I would venture to say that no other company has tuned more LSXs than DiabloSport. As for South Florida, I would say no one has tuned more high-output street cars than Johan at DiabloSport. And lastly, NO ONE OFFERS BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE THAN MIKE, HE IS A GREAT DUDE, EVEN THOUGH HE KNOWS JAMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mike on more thing, any know compatibility problems with hooking up to an already tuned pcm with the predator?
Old 05-29-2009, 04:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by BacDoc
Mike on more thing, any know compatibility problems with hooking up to an already tuned pcm with the predator?
Nope...as long as the tune is not locked, the Predator will read, save, and allow you to modify it, and you can always restore it back to what it read.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by onebadcad
I am not a betting man, actually I am, but saying such helps this post, but I would venture to say that no other company has tuned more LSXs than DiabloSport. As for South Florida, I would say no one has tuned more high-output street cars than Johan at DiabloSport. And lastly, NO ONE OFFERS BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE THAN MIKE, HE IS A GREAT DUDE, EVEN THOUGH HE KNOWS JAMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I swear I dont pay this guy!!!

Hes right though, Johan has quite a grasp on tuning GMs, from Jamies TT 786 rwhp Vette with a stock bottom end, to onebads caddy that drives like stock till you lay into it, he has them all covered.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Generally, yes, the Predator will read most unlocked tunes and allow you to modify them to your liking.
My main reason for looking into getting a tuner (other than the fact that I currently have one for my 'stang), is that I would like to get a set of LT Headers, bigger TB, and MAF delete. I've heard that its necessary to get it tuned afterward. Will I be able to plug in a Predator and make the tuning adjustments necessary after installing these parts, or is this something better left to a professional? My V is an '04.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

ttttt
Old 05-31-2009, 09:58 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

i would like to know the opinions on this question as well...
Old 06-01-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mike can also be reached via email at:
mlitsch@diablosport.com
Old 06-01-2009, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by blk04V
My main reason for looking into getting a tuner (other than the fact that I currently have one for my 'stang), is that I would like to get a set of LT Headers, bigger TB, and MAF delete. I've heard that its necessary to get it tuned afterward. Will I be able to plug in a Predator and make the tuning adjustments necessary after installing these parts, or is this something better left to a professional? My V is an '04.
These changes tend to require part throttle adjustments as well as WOT changes, and are thus best done with custom tuning as the Predator does not give access to part throttle timing adjustments.

As for removing the MAF to go SD, we do not support that feature, but, why?
The stock MAF is not a restriction till over 500 rwhp N/A and we have made stoopid power through the stock MAF, like 780+ rwhp:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ock+bottom+end

Thanks
Mike
Old 06-01-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^that was done on my original V's motor, LS6, so for all of you concerned about what a stock LS6 can take, rest easy. Then again, that was for shiats and giggles, and was dialed in much lower. I still think 600RWHP can be safe on a stock LS6/LS2 on a daily driver with good fuel and a good tune.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

These changes tend to require part throttle adjustments as well as WOT changes, and are thus best done with custom tuning as the Predator does not give access to part throttle timing adjustments.

As for removing the MAF to go SD, we do not support that feature, but, why?
errr, i meant MAF screen delete I know I won't be able to expect much, but others have a picked up a few hps by removing the screen - also, I think they were removed from the factory in '06 & '07. If I see 10 (even just at the crank), I'd be happy. It's completely free if I'm having it dynoed regardless.

That being said, I'm up in Appleton, WI - 45min south of Green Bay and 2hrs north of Milwaukee. Any Diablo tuners in the area I should check out?

P.S. - this would require a handheld correct?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no offense mike but my car ran like absolute crap intermittently with the canned diablosport tune on it. Sometimes it went into limp mode, and wouldnt rev above 2,000 rpms for no reason... When I removed the canned tune.....I never had any more issues.

FULL CUSTOM DYNO TUNE is the only thing Id put on my car PERIOD.

I got tuned by one of the ppl responsible for building the stock tunes for the diablosport programmers....so Im not being biased.....just honest.

Car runs 100x better with the dyno tune than it did with the can tune

See numbers in sig.

Quick Reply: Experience with Predator Tuner?