Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

clutch or slave issue.. please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch or slave issue.. please help

So im driving around today and came to a light. figured I would do a practice launch for good ol times ..

light turned green and I sliped the clutch out at around 3k... and it just stayed almost to the floor when I totaly released it and gave off a nasty smell from sliping .. car barly moved to...

I gave it another pump and it came back up....

What do guys think, just a one time bad slip or is my clutch on its way out?

Also could it be a bad slave cylinder ? what should I look for , I hear its a common issue on the V...
Old 08-09-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
So im driving around today and came to a light. figured I would do a practice launch for good ol times ..

light turned green and I sliped the clutch out at around 3k... and it just stayed almost to the floor when I totaly released it and gave off a nasty smell from sliping .. car barly moved to...

I gave it another pump and it came back up....

What do guys think, just a one time bad slip or is my clutch on its way out?

Also could it be a bad slave cylinder ? what should I look for , I hear its a common issue on the V...
Do you have fluid in the clutch reservoir?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2c5s
Do you have fluid in the clutch reservoir?
fluid line is good , id like to bleed/ flush it.

Is it nessescary to use one of those fancy bleeder kits ive seen ppl use for our car or can I do it the old school way with just the help of another person ??
Old 08-09-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

no you can get away with good old bleeding...bleed the **** out of it id say 3/4th bottle of dot3 and till the res. is ffilled with clean ****. if you can spray a little brake cleaner in the bellhousing to clean out all the dripped fluid...good luck its a medium job, and no fancy bleeder is needed bud+ youd have to almost drop the trans for that
Old 08-09-2009, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
fluid line is good , id like to bleed/ flush it.

Is it nessescary to use one of those fancy bleeder kits ive seen ppl use for our car or can I do it the old school way with just the help of another person ??
The remote bleeder is great if you can find one. Are you still under warranty?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2c5s
The remote bleeder is great if you can find one. Are you still under warranty?
no warranty...
Old 08-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Launching!

You'll be putting a clutch in it soon. I went through the same problem a while back. The reason the clutch pedal stuck to the floor, is because you slipped the clutch bad enough to boil the clutch fluid which puts air in the line. If it was a slave cylinder issue, you would experience everytime you pushed the clutch in. The disc is probably about worn out and that is why it slipped bad enough to boil the fluid. I would recommend replacing he fluid with DOT 5.1. Its hard to find, but it has the highest boiling rate. Do not use the DOT 5/synthetic. The new Z06's come with DOT4, but not as good as the 5.1. P.S. Get a remote bleeder when you change the clutch. You're just wasting your time bleeding the clutch to solve this problem, and it is a major pain in the *** without the bleeder.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by needactsv
You'll be putting a clutch in it soon. I went through the same problem a while back. The reason the clutch pedal stuck to the floor, is because you slipped the clutch bad enough to boil the clutch fluid which puts air in the line. If it was a slave cylinder issue, you would experience everytime you pushed the clutch in.
I'm not so sure. I had the same issue where my clutch would work fine 90% of the time and as soon as I thought it was good the pedal would stick to the floor. Had it bled 10,000,000 times and same issue.

They replaced the slave and it fixed it 100%. Either way, I agree with everything else.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Either way, if you are putting a slave in, might as well scrap the dual mass flywheel and put in a new clutch as well as z06 style slave and remote bleeder. Just knock em all out while you're in there.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way, if you are putting a slave in, might as well scrap the dual mass flywheel and put in a new clutch as well as z06 style slave and remote bleeder. Just knock em all out while you're in there.

+1

The amount of work is the same... do it once. Clutch, slave and bleeder (if you choose to go this route).

Personally i would bleed it, and bleed it really good. You can buy the clear hand held vacuum pumps... they are like $30 at auto zone. And a HUGE help!! This would also void the need for the remote bleeder ($45). Suck all the nasty stuff out, put fresh stuff in... pump the clutch (car off or short drive). Repeat until clean. Once you think its clean enough, drive the car for a week and do it again.

(Dont forget brake fluid is a paint killer!) Wouldnt hurt to do your brake & ps fluid at this point too.

Looks like this:

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend having one of these in your aresonal. Great for changing all your fluids... versus having to make a mess draining everything. And will even get all the air bubbles out of the clutch. Just dont over pressurize the system 10/12lbs is plenty.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

I can cut you a killer deal on a brand new slave and rebuilt Textralia clutch and flywheel. All you need is the spacer from Katech.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Banned

Its been good since the day i posted.

Going to hope i can hold it off for a few more months.

But ill def contact your for some prices 2c5s.

thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
+1

The amount of work is the same... do it once. Clutch, slave and bleeder (if you choose to go this route).

Personally i would bleed it, and bleed it really good. You can buy the clear hand held vacuum pumps... they are like $30 at auto zone. And a HUGE help!! This would also void the need for the remote bleeder ($45). Suck all the nasty stuff out, put fresh stuff in... pump the clutch (car off or short drive). Repeat until clean. Once you think its clean enough, drive the car for a week and do it again.

(Dont forget brake fluid is a paint killer!) Wouldnt hurt to do your brake & ps fluid at this point too.

Looks like this:

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend having one of these in your aresonal. Great for changing all your fluids... versus having to make a mess draining everything. And will even get all the air bubbles out of the clutch. Just dont over pressurize the system 10/12lbs is plenty.

MF Werd! Using a mightyvac for bleeding is the easiest way.

GM diagnosed the sticky pedal issue as a hydraulic issue in the clutch system. They usually replace the master cylinder in C5s to solve the issue.

I'd try bleeding it first and getting fresh DOT 3 in there.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TexVette
I'd try bleeding it first and getting fresh DOT 3 in there.
Don't the Vs require Dot 4?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Launching!

says dot 3 on my cap, but it has 5.1 in it. no spongy pedal here.

Quick Reply: clutch or slave issue.. please help