Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

how would our 04 thru 07 V's in stock form do against RX-8's on a auto-x course?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how would our 04 thru 07 V's in stock form do against RX-8's on a auto-x course?

I was told by a small group of people that a stock RX-8 would totally destroy us on an auto-x course and that we prolly couldn't even keep up with a cobalt SS on the course too... its not that big of a deal but I would still like to know if its true.... never been on an auto-x course but I do plan on it when I get the chance...
Old 01-15-2010, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's really up to the driver. I've taken first place overall before with a Z06 taking 2nd. The V is heavy, but with a good driver it's very capable, even on a very tight course. Trust me, I run with the Miata club sometimes.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Sweet, I would love to give it a try... how do you do against the miatas?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

The RX8 is VERY slow on an auto-x course. It just does not have the power/tq to accelerate its mass quickly in the short distances needed in auto-x. I have had a worse time then an RX8 in auto-x. Miata's on the other hand with the right driver can destroy a V.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take out all the weight you can lol. weight is oen of the ultimate enemies of auto x. more weight slower acceleration, worse braking, more unsprung weight to move and cornering jsut aint as good.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone have some good vids to post up of a run in with any of the named cars?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just an FYI - I've crushed an RX-8 that had R-compound tires at MidOhio. I'm not stock, but they're not all that badass either.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone have some good vids to post up of a run in with any of the named cars?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

it would have to depend on how large the autox course is. ive been on some which a v would do great in, but with a rx8 9k rev limit you could stay in 1st gear most of the time which could be a huge help.

on a small autox with nearly no straights..... it would be a tough sell for any large car even a v.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone have some ideas of some weight reductions that I can do to the V which wont make the ride quality worse? I want to keep all the bells and whistles but shave off some useless weight...
Old 01-16-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just did my first auto x a week ago, there were 2 rx8s out there and they didnt come close to the V, and it was an extremely tight course.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Allow me to inject some actual verifiable data into this discussion. I'm sure the people who told you that an RX-8 or Cobalt SS would destroy a V at an auto-x were assuming both cars were driven by high caliber drivers. The previous responses to this thread all seem to be based on the thinking that "Well, I beat an ***-clown who has no idea how to drive an RX-8 at my local auto-x, so RX-8s must suck," which couldn't be further from the truth. Comparing results at a local auto-x is pretty much worthless, since the prep level of the cars (even in a Stock class) varies widely, and the abilities of the drivers varies even more widely. At the local level, any car can beat any other.

If the driver of the RX-8 is competent, the RX-8 will absolutely eat the V for lunch on an auto-x course. Just look at the SCCA classing - the RX-8 is in B Stock, the CTS-V is in F Stock. B Stock is a faster class than F Stock. At Nationals last year the top BS time was 4sec (over 2 days) faster than FS - 117sec vs 121sec. Add in the fact that the RX-8 is the car to beat in BS (14 of the top 15 cars in BS @ the 2009 Nationals were RX-8s), and has been for a couple of years now, while the CTS-V isn't even competitive in FS (not a single one in the 26 car class at Nationals). Yes, the RX-8 will totally destroy a CTS-V in an auto-x event. I've never even driven an RX-8 and I'd be willing to bet that I would beat myself if I were to race an RX-8 back-to-back with my CTS-V.

Originally Posted by SkullV
The RX8 is VERY slow on an auto-x course. It just does not have the power/tq to accelerate its mass quickly in the short distances needed in auto-x.
Wow. You're kidding me, right? See above.

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
Just an FYI - I've crushed an RX-8 that had R-compound tires at MidOhio. I'm not stock, but they're not all that badass either.
MidOhio is a road course. Were you running the road course, or did you do an auto-x there?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Allow me to inject some actual verifiable data into this discussion. I'm sure the people who told you that an RX-8 or Cobalt SS would destroy a V at an auto-x were assuming both cars were driven by high caliber drivers. The previous responses to this thread all seem to be based on the thinking that "Well, I beat an ***-clown who has no idea how to drive an RX-8 at my local auto-x, so RX-8s must suck," which couldn't be further from the truth. Comparing results at a local auto-x is pretty much worthless, since the prep level of the cars (even in a Stock class) varies widely, and the abilities of the drivers varies even more widely. At the local level, any car can beat any other.

If the driver of the RX-8 is competent, the RX-8 will absolutely eat the V for lunch on an auto-x course. Just look at the SCCA classing - the RX-8 is in B Stock, the CTS-V is in F Stock. B Stock is a faster class than F Stock. At Nationals last year the top BS time was 4sec (over 2 days) faster than FS - 117sec vs 121sec. Add in the fact that the RX-8 is the car to beat in BS (14 of the top 15 cars in BS @ the 2009 Nationals were RX-8s), and has been for a couple of years now, while the CTS-V isn't even competitive in FS (not a single one in the 26 car class at Nationals). Yes, the RX-8 will totally destroy a CTS-V in an auto-x event. I've never even driven an RX-8 and I'd be willing to bet that I would beat myself if I were to race an RX-8 back-to-back with my CTS-V.

Wow. You're kidding me, right? See above.

MidOhio is a road course. Were you running the road course, or did you do an auto-x there?
Thank you for your input. No I am not kidding. I have driven both cars and feel that with myself at the wheel the CTS-V would be faster then the RX8 ten times out of ten. Now I am not saying I'm the best driver out there, but the best comparison would be driving against yourself right?

Last edited by SkullV; 01-16-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

The key is it being an Auto-X course. The RX8 could hardly get out of its own way in stock form. Anything besides and auto-x course the RX will not even come close to standing a chance.

Cts-V - 3650(3850 actual) Curb weight - 405hp
RX8 - 3000(3200 actual) Curb weight - 230hp

Acceleration 0-60:

Cts-V - 4.7sec
RX8 - 6.4sec

Braking 60-0:

Cts-V - 111'
RX8 - 111'

Skidpad:

Cts-V - .90g
RX8 - .88g

Slalom:

Cts-V - 66.8mph
RX8 - 67.1mph

Seeing these numbers I don't really understand how the V is not competing with the RX in an auto-x event. The only thing that I would contribute this to is lack of V's in the SCCA events and less experienced drivers in the V's at said events.

Last edited by 2003RC51; 01-18-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^ nice to see the specs!

the driver will make the car in ANY car.. just because you drive a Ferrari doesnt mean a miata wont beat you on the track! lol
Old 01-16-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoJersey05V
^^ nice to see the specs!

the driver will make the car in ANY car.. just because you drive a Ferrari doesnt mean a miata wont beat you on the track! lol
FINALLY something we agree on. This is the only reason that I can pass GT3s and z06s on the track. Their drivers are either to afraid to drive their cars to their true potential or just lack the skill to. My car is definitely NOT faster then them.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SkullV
FINALLY something we agree on. This is the only reason that I can pass GT3s and z06s on the track. Their drivers are either to afraid to drive their cars to their true potential or just lack the skill to. My car is definitely NOT faster then them.
brother im glad we can agree on it! i am done the non-sense for good! lets all be friends! tired of worring about whats being said on here when im out! lol
Old 01-16-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

How about the second part of the question?

How would it do against the TC/SS cobalts. People underate those at handling all the time.

It doesnt hold the record for fastest production FWD at the nurburgring for no reason....
Old 01-17-2010, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Guys, an RX8, Miata and Cobalt will all destroy a CTS-V at an autocross. So will Subarus, 350Zs, most Mustangs, Camaros, and many other cars. Maybe at a local event you went to you did well, but go up against national-caliber drivers in well-prepared cars and you'll lose. Period.

I'm probably the only one here who's taken his CTS-V to an SCCA National Tour autocross event, and I campaigned the car for most of last year, so I'm speaking from experience. I ran in the ESP class on Hoosier A6 tires, so I definitely had the right rubber. The numbers posted above about acceleration and handling don't mean anything. Autocrossing isn't a skidpad, so the G-force figures are misleading. What's important at an autocross is the ability to change directions rapidly (ie a slalom) and the V's weight really, really hurts it in that regard. The CTS-V is also much longer and wider than the other cars, and that's a huge disadvantage. The V also has a hard time fitting tires any larger than the other cars you mentioned. And as for power, there just aren't many opportunities to put it down on an autocross course. One big problem I had autocrossing the V was boiling the fluid and losing power assist. The steering inputs at an autocross are so large and so frequent that the stock cooler isn't really adequate, and you can't install a larger cooler without moving up to a class where you'll do even worse.

The CTS-V is NOT an autocross car. You just can't expect a car that's 700-1,000 pounds heavier than the models you mentioned to keep up with them in that environment. Take the same cars to a road course where the V can stretch its legs and things change.

Edit: At the 2009 Dixie National Tour event my 2-day time was 102.439. The B Stock class winning RX8 ran 97.614, and the C-Stock winning Miata ran 98.518. Bear in mind that since I run Street Prepared my car had more mods than the stock-class Mazdas.

Last edited by Mercutio; 01-17-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Adding results
Old 01-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mercutio
Guys, an RX8, Miata and Cobalt will all destroy a CTS-V at an autocross. So will Subarus, 350Zs, most Mustangs, Camaros, and many other cars. Maybe at a local event you went to you did well, but go up against national-caliber drivers in well-prepared cars and you'll lose. Period.

I'm probably the only one here who's taken his CTS-V to an SCCA National Tour autocross event, and I campaigned the car for most of last year, so I'm speaking from experience. I ran in the ESP class on Hoosier A6 tires, so I definitely had the right rubber. The numbers posted above about acceleration and handling don't mean anything. Autocrossing isn't a skidpad, so the G-force figures are misleading. What's important at an autocross is the ability to change directions rapidly (ie a slalom) and the V's weight really, really hurts it in that regard. The CTS-V is also much longer and wider than the other cars, and that's a huge disadvantage. The V also has a hard time fitting tires any larger than the other cars you mentioned. And as for power, there just aren't many opportunities to put it down on an autocross course. One big problem I had autocrossing the V was boiling the fluid and losing power assist. The steering inputs at an autocross are so large and so frequent that the stock cooler isn't really adequate, and you can't install a larger cooler without moving up to a class where you'll do even worse.

The CTS-V is NOT an autocross car. You just can't expect a car that's 700-1,000 pounds heavier than the models you mentioned to keep up with them in that environment. Take the same cars to a road course where the V can stretch its legs and things change.

Edit: At the 2009 Dixie National Tour event my 2-day time was 102.439. The B Stock class winning RX8 ran 97.614, and the C-Stock winning Miata ran 98.518. Bear in mind that since I run Street Prepared my car had more mods than the stock-class Mazdas.

We are down to comparing cars here. Your times vs. the RX8 times in that event don't bear much significance. Put the same driver in both cars stock/stock and then we will know for certain. While I am sure you are a good driver, the RX8 driver could be that much better and that much more familiar with his car if he has been campaigning it for longer.

Most people that run in SCCA are not going to buy a Cadillac to go out and beat the hell out of it at an auto-x event. They are also not going to buy a Cadillac and make it a pure auto-x car which is what I am betting most of the miata's and RX8's are. Most owners are going to drive the V to the event, have some fun on the course and drive home. As for the RX8 and Miata's, I am sure the owners have no problem beating the ever loving crap out of them.

The slalom of the V and RX8 are very close. While the RX8 will definitely switchback slightly faster its not that far superior to the V, and what the V loses in the slalom it will more than pick up in the acceleration times which is also very important in the smaller auto-x events.

Quick Reply: how would our 04 thru 07 V's in stock form do against RX-8's on a auto-x course?