Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Who's running a SPEC 3 or 3+

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's running a SPEC 3 or 3+

Thinking of upgading. How's the chatter, engagement, pedal effort? Is it street friendly? 3+ is suppose to be SPEC's flagship "still streetable" clutch.
What flywheel are you running as well. I'm not sold on the 3 because it must be pretty grabby being a puck style, but I'd like to hear anyones experience.

Thanks to maxspeed for replying to my PM on this question
Old 02-27-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

The only spec 3's I've driven were on an LT1 camaro and a v6 camaro and it chattered badly on both cars. I've HEARD that they dont chatter nearly as bad on the LS1 fbodys...not sure how that relates to the V, but that is my experience with it.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned

No prob glad i could help, with the parts In your sig I would suggest a LS7 clutch kit..

If you plan to track it or plan on adding alot more hp then spec 3+ is a better choice.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the 3+ with stock flywheel about 5 k miles on it so far, no chatter and grabs like crazy. i think they are rated to 900+ tq or something crazy like that.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you guys think the ls7 will hold 475rwhp? once i add the nano kit which should be here next week and long tubes next month thats about what ill put putting out. I havent done much research on it. i only spray from 2nd up no launch and no first gear nitrous. only a few track passes a year.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by itsslow98
you guys think the ls7 will hold 475rwhp? once i add the nano kit which should be here next week and long tubes next month thats about what ill put putting out. I havent done much research on it. i only spray from 2nd up no launch and no first gear nitrous. only a few track passes a year.

Prob not most guys with maggies said the ls7 didnt last for them..

But if you dnt track it who knows it might last long as hell.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS7 will be fine for you. I sprayed ~500whp/530wtq through the LS7 with no slippage. It's the high power launch/shifts that kills them. You are not spraying through your shifts right?
Old 02-27-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

no not sprayin through shifts. Track launched will just be slipping the clutch. I'll prolly just end up going with a monster stage three anyways just to be safe.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

no not sprayin through shifts. Track launched will just be slipping the clutch. I'll prolly just end up going with a monster stage three anyways just to be safe.
That's what I would have done if I didn't HAVE to go with GM parts (installed LS7 Clutch kit and remote bleeder under warranty with 1 year warranty on parts/labor)
Old 02-28-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

Is the Monster 3 a puck style clutch? It looks that way on the web site. I'm surprised how no one complains of chatter or break in.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I hear a lot of people love it and its completely bolt in. Id go with the LS7 or level 2 if you dont plan to make more power.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got my stage 3+ in the mail and when my remote bleeder comes in ill install it and report.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
I just got my stage 3+ in the mail and when my remote bleeder comes in ill install it and report.
Perfect. What slave are you using and what flywheel? Source for the bleeder? The 3+ at first seems like a lot of clutch, but the more research I'm doing the more I'm finding that the full face friction materials are the key to some decent streetablitiy without the chatter and some ability to slip it. The stage 2 has kevlar which is very durable but I'm not sold on it. Typical stage 3 like Monster and SPEC are puck styles that actually grip more because the pressure plate is concentrated over a smaller area. They' re supposed to have the least friendly engagement but lots of guys with the Monster 3 have not complained to much. So as wierd as it seems I'll be going full face organic (stage 1) or full face carbon metallic (stage 3+). My decision is more for durability and engagement than holding power. The 3+ is SPECS most expensive set up even more than the 4 or 5.

I anxious to hear how yours works out.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im running a ls7 slave and i got my bleeder from gforce, i have a thread on this page a bit lower asking for it and he helped me out. I got a great deal on my spec 3+ from adam at MAP http://www.maperformance.com/. Tell him will from jersey told you to call ( not sure if that makes a difference).

I used to run a stage 2+ on my last car so thats why i went with spec, but ive heard good things about monster and the other companies on here. even the ls7.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Perfect. What slave are you using and what flywheel? Source for the bleeder? The 3+ at first seems like a lot of clutch, but the more research I'm doing the more I'm finding that the full face friction materials are the key to some decent streetablitiy without the chatter and some ability to slip it. The stage 2 has kevlar which is very durable but I'm not sold on it. Typical stage 3 like Monster and SPEC are puck styles that actually grip more because the pressure plate is concentrated over a smaller area. They' re supposed to have the least friendly engagement but lots of guys with the Monster 3 have not complained to much. So as wierd as it seems I'll be going full face organic (stage 1) or full face carbon metallic (stage 3+). My decision is more for durability and engagement than holding power. The 3+ is SPECS most expensive set up even more than the 4 or 5.

I anxious to hear how yours works out.

If your decision is based on durability and engagment I think the LS7 kit would be better for you.

Dont get me wrong Im happy with my spec 3+, but I do alot of stop and go traffic and it gets annoying sometimes.

But.... If you plan do track your car and do alot of hard lanuching then the spec will do the trick and has fair drivability
Old 02-28-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

I plan to upgrade my clutch too! I dont like the stocker other than the light feel of the pedal. I dont like how it shutters when you turn the car off because of the twin-disc.

I want something that is going to hold at least 500RWHP (so i wont have to do it twice) but still be street friendly and at the same time, im going to go with a lighter flywheel. Fidenza maybe if they make it for these cars...
Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I plan to upgrade my clutch too! I dont like the stocker other than the light feel of the pedal. I dont like how it shutters when you turn the car off because of the twin-disc.

I want something that is going to hold at least 500RWHP (so i wont have to do it twice) but still be street friendly and at the same time, im going to go with a lighter flywheel. Fidenza maybe if they make it for these cars...
Its not the clutch that makes the car diesel off, its the 50 pound dual mass flywheel.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Its not the clutch that makes the car diesel off, its the 50 pound dual mass flywheel.
Oh ok. Well thats what i want to replace then but i still might as well upgrade the clutch when i pull it apart so im not doing the work twice. Obviously isnt at the very top of my priority list at the moment but will be there soon.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Oh ok. Well thats what i want to replace then but i still might as well upgrade the clutch when i pull it apart so im not doing the work twice. Obviously isnt at the very top of my priority list at the moment but will be there soon.
ill let you know how the stock clutch in my car holds up to the numbers in my sig(getting retuned with a NANO system so should be around 450rwhp/500tq. next two weeks) gonna run it till it goes.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

ill let you know how the stock clutch in my car holds up to the numbers in my sig(getting retuned with a NANO system so should be around 450rwhp/500tq. next two weeks) gonna run it till it goes.
Sounds good! Ill be interested to hear how long she lasts.

Quick Reply: Who's running a SPEC 3 or 3+