Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

need some schooling(brakes 101.)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need some schooling(brakes 101.)

I'm about to change my brakes out but its been so long since I've done it that I don't remember how to release the brake fluid pressure when I do it... I can in stall the pads no problem but if anyone can please give me the steps to release the brake fluid pressure then I will buy you a drink next time I see you! Lol and to those who help that's to far away then I will drink one for you! Ha

P.s. to all you haters... I've only changed my brakes on my own 1 time and watched other people do it for me a few times but atleast I'm doing it... lol

Gotta start somewhere... ha
Old 06-24-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, first a mommy car meets a daddy car...and when they love each other, the daddy car release break fluid everywhere, and that is how a baby car is made...
Old 06-24-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
well, first a mommy car meets a daddy car...and when they love each other, the daddy car release break fluid everywhere, and that is how a baby car is made...
Lol, no drink 4 u buddy! Ha
Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn...i could use a beer right now...i havent had one since January 16th...myabe you will see me driving around frisco in my V in about 6 weeks.

on a the real topic, i have no clue how to release the break fluid...i havent done the maintenace on a car since i had my last sports car (99 Gran Prix GTP which was making a little over 300 hp at the wheels)
Old 06-24-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

pop the cap on the brake fluid reservoir, then compress the pistons in the brake caliper with a c-clamp or a specific brake tool....either suck the fluid out of the brake reservoir first or keep a bunch of rags handy as brake fluid will spill out as your compress the calipers.

I will add I've never worked on 4 piston calipers (only single/dual floating calipers) I can only assume that you will need 2 clamps per caliper as compressing one side will just push the other side out.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

damn...i could use a beer right now...i havent had one since January 16th...myabe you will see me driving around frisco in my V in about 6 weeks.

on a the real topic, i have no clue how to release the break fluid...i havent done the maintenace on a car since i had my last sports car (99 Gran Prix GTP which was making a little over 300 hp at the wheels)
Haha... racing me in about 6 weeks a? Lol

So why so long?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Haha... racing me in about 6 weeks a? Lol

So why so long?
that is when my flight back to the states is, with enough time to do all the paper work i have to when i get back to abilene...from afghanistan...or as i like to call it, "the place i cant take a duece in peace"-istan
Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, I have nooooo fing idea how to get these pads out! Does anyone have a link to a step by step? Pleaseeeeeeee...... lol
Old 06-24-2010, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

here you go:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ad-change.html

i'm waiting...
Old 06-24-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yep no need for clamps, or to release brake fluid etc, use your fingers to push the brake pad against the pistons, once the are in the housing pull out the pad....drop the new one in(greased) then do the other side of the caliper. all of a 5 minute per caliper job if that.

BTW are they stock pads? if so wanna ship them to me and ill cover shipping?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can compress them with your hands? Huh, first for me.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

i still think my make of releasing the break fluid was the best way...
Old 06-25-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, that was the easiest Fing brake pad change that I've ever done! Didn't grease the pads but also sprade brake fluid all over myself... the 1st side took me about an hour! The other side took me 10 minutes once I had everything I need needed..(J hooks, C clamp, uni-tire iron, jack..) oh and there was nooooooo Fing way I could have just used my hands to depress the pads...
Old 06-25-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ Ya, that's what I thought. Did it take two c-clamps or did the piston stay compressed?
Old 06-25-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
yep no need for clamps, or to release brake fluid etc, use your fingers to push the brake pad against the pistons, once the are in the housing pull out the pad....drop the new one in(greased) then do the other side of the caliper. all of a 5 minute per caliper job if that.

BTW are they stock pads? if so wanna ship them to me and ill cover shipping?
Are you poppin the bleeder when you compress the pistons? That's the only way I can think of that you could do it with your hands.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nikon
^^ Ya, that's what I thought. Did it take two c-clamps or did the piston stay compressed?
Just used one C clamp but on each point were I pulled the pins out because they stayed compressed... also I just unbolted the brake fluid pressure reservoir thingie mabopper and wrapped a roll of papertowel around it and it kept it super clean for me while I was depressing the pads...
Old 06-25-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

that is when my flight back to the states is, with enough time to do all the paper work i have to when i get back to abilene...from afghanistan...or as i like to call it, "the place i cant take a duece in peace"-istan
Holy **** ur a soldier? That's awesome bro! How old are you and are you considered a vet yet? Anyways ill have to have you come out with us and have a few brews/shots/beerbongs/volleyball and pool parties... ha
Old 06-25-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
also I just unbolted the brake fluid pressure reservoir thingie mabopper and wrapped a roll of papertowel around it and it kept it super clean for me while I was depressing the pads...
Ummmm... why? Theres no need to open the lines anywhere in the brake system. Sorry for the bold, but i dont want future searchers to think they have to open the lines. They can easily be compressed with a C clamp... i also use a small piece of steel so the clamp is pressing on both pistons at the same time (probably 1/8" x 1" x 7").
Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ he didn't undo the bleeders, he took the cap off the reservoir.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Channel locks with rubber coated handles. Grab the brake backing pad with the channel locks to pull them out. Use the rubber coated handle on the channel locks to help push the pistons back in if you are weak sauce and can't man handle them. The factory manual says to use a plastic wedge tool to push them in. WTF that is?

Quick Reply: need some schooling(brakes 101.)