Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CEL flashing

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL flashing

Last night as I was sitting in the drive thru of my favorite chicken joint my cel came on flashing. I was at idle and had my ac on. So I cycled thru the engine sensors on the dicu and no readings were abnormal. I shut the ac off and the light went out. Turn the ac on and the light came back on flashing. So when I was leaving I wanted to further diagnose the issue. Turned the ac on and waited for the light to come on at idle, when I got it, I left the parking lot and almost immediately the light went out. Seems that it is only a idle. I can't get to an OBDII reader today. You guys think it's an ac pressure switch sensor or a possible miss fire? I am running pretty rich at idle an having warm start up issues. Taking It to get tuned after header install.

Current mods:
232/234 cam w/ dual springs
msd wires and ac delco plugs
De-screened maf
25% ud pulley
Old 07-04-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

off topic...would this chicken joint be Chicken Express? i miss that place, best sweet tea i have ever had...EVER!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:37 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Yes sir. Now... Bush's Chicken Express. I could eat their #1 w/ sweet tea and a bacon Jale. Cheeseburger from five guys everyday!
Old 07-04-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

On most cars when the ac comes on it advances the throttle slightly so the extra load wont bog the engine. If the caddy is the same way and you are already really rich this could cause the light. I believe the flashing light is missfires if I recall.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

The flashing light is a warning for impending catalytic converter damage. It can happen very quickly if the conditions are bad enough to make the CE light flash.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
The flashing light is a warning for impending catalytic converter damage. It can happen very quickly if the conditions are bad enough to make the CE light flash.
Ive never heard of that before in my life. flashing CEL means multiple misfires, the initial load on the motor from the AC and the computer trying to counteract it could be causing the misfire hence why its only at idle with the A/C on.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Ive never heard of that before in my life. flashing CEL means multiple misfires, the initial load on the motor from the AC and the computer trying to counteract it could be causing the misfire hence why its only at idle with the A/C on.
So because you've never heard of something means it's not true? Multiple misfires are the most common cause of a flashing CE light. They are not the only cause. It's usually a problem that is allowing unburnt fuel into the exhaust. Failed/damaged injectors, ruptured fuel pressure regulators, bad valves, low compression....all will cause high O2 sensor voltages and flash the light. If the light is flashing, there is a high probability of permanent damage of some type. The catalytic converter is usually the first thing to go.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

i would say that the misfire parameters havent been modified for the cam in your car. Talk to your tuner they should be able to get rid of it.

Quick Reply: CEL flashing